ADVERTISEMENT

District 1 Openings

The last time Carey coached at CB West not one player on the team was born. Those players couldn't pick him out of a lineup. It's over. Let it go.

I agree with this statement JSWIGAND. Great coach, great mind, should continue to coach somewhere, but to have him on the committee selecting the next head coach makes me question.

Anyways, as I stated prior, it will be an old school type of guy, a Carey guy. Looks like the YOUTH COACH is going to get this one.

Maybe I should have clarified, I don't think they'll make a great hire just because he is on the committee. I just thought he could help the administration. Maybe I overplayed it. I just thought it was an encouraging sign. My apologies!

FJ, I have no idea if Carey was involved in selecting the coaches that came after him at West. I recall reading he recommended Cuthbert and Schmidt, who were on his staff in 2000, to take over for him.

Maybe the impetus for him to participate now is Donovan being the "decision-maker." Maybe the recent death of Pettine drove him to get more involved. Who knows, but I see him being involved as a "net positive." I could be very, very wrong; likewise, I may have played it up (see my post above). Just giving my thoughts.

FJ, I have no idea if Carey was involved in selecting the coaches that came after him at West. I recall reading he recommended Cuthbert and Schmidt, who were on his staff in 2000, to take over for him.

Maybe the impetus for him to participate now is Donovan being the "decision-maker." Maybe the recent death of Pettine drove him to get more involved. Who knows, but I see him being involved as a "net positive." I could be very, very wrong; likewise, I may have played it up (see my post above). Just giving my thoughts.

I hope they make the best decision for the school and not just the interest of previous West player status. My belief, as I have stated prior, is that they will select a 'Carey' guy that played for him in the past.

That wouldn't surprise me. I think schools tend to favor their own. I know nothing about the applicants (outside of the info you have provided). Are there any other worthy candidates than the ones you previously referenced?

I am not on the committee, so I do not have the chance to look at the resumes provided. As I stated before, I would look into people that are different and that have a different background then the same old, same old style. Was told there were a few local assistants (coordinators) that threw their names into that hat, even a former Head Coach that did not coach for the past three years, and out-of-state applicants. Let's see their resumes before looking at the one's everyone is familiar with. I have been trying to get the names of the local coordinators and out-of-state applicants, but have not been able to get that much.

I think that JSWIGAND had a point earlier about the players of the current squad and even future players. These young men 'know' about the past greatness, but weren't even alive. Players these days are interested in the 'new' and I would look at someone different than the usual candidates. I agree with one earlier post talking about having some sort of passing game that has been non-existent at CBW, that would bring a different aspect to the program, but also to the players. Also, the program needs stability, someone that will be there for a decade. All things to be considered.

Going to keep saying it, but the YOUTH guy is going to go home with the job in January.

Let's be a bit realistic here... as far as cb wests later success in the late 90s and early 2000s... would they have had the same successes without Dustin Picciotti???? Cmon... best player in the country at the time. All they did was give him the ball. Without Dustin, titles in the 2000s don't happen. I don't care what anyone has to say.

Last edited:
326-42-4 was Pettine's record. That's means he won 88% of his games. They won a real state title in 1991. They won plenty of "mythical" titles prior to the playoffs being instituted in 1988. Picciotti wasn't on the 91 team, for the record.

Picciotti also wasn't carrying the ball much on the 1997 state champions when Dave Armstrong rushed for 2,000 yards and 40 TDs. Or the 2000 team that went to the state final.

Dustin was unstoppable. They don't beat north penn and Johnson without him. I said late 90s early 2000s... for the record. I'm not arguing Pettine Sr successes..

Picciotti also wasn't carrying the ball much on the 1997 state champions when Dave Armstrong rushed for 2,000 yards and 40 TDs. Or the 2000 team that went to the state final.
I was at the Erie cathedral Prep game that West won at the end with a blocked punt and recovery in the end zone.Picciotti was hurt in the first quarter and never returned to the game even though he was running up and down the sideline during the game. He sprained his ankle and sure seemed ok to go the rest of the way. His career at Pitt ended early due to a concussion issue as I remember. When he did run the ball at West , he was very effective especially during the previous years state title game his junior year.

Piciotti had several concussions with the first taking place in the Big 33 game. It's no surprise today seeing the top recruits skipping these all star games.

They won the state title game 56-7 in 98 against New Castle (Dustins junior year). I think they still would've won that game without him. The following year in the state championship, Dustin got hurt in the first quarter and they came back to beat ECP 14-13. Those were the only two years that he was a major focal point of the team. To say he was solely responsible for their success is outlandish.

As a philly guy, fun to hear these names being brought up. Not sure how it can be anything but positive having Mike Carey involved. Guy coached old school CB West then new school Wood. Had big time players at both, helped a bunch of guys. It's not like he has a leather helmet and has been under a rock.

Reactions: lilromeo
6, that was my exact point of view. I just see it as a positive. I can't wait to hear who the committee decides on for finalists.

They won the state title game 56-7 in 98 against New Castle (Dustins junior year). I think they still would've won that game without him. The following year in the state championship, Dustin got hurt in the first quarter and they came back to beat ECP 14-13. Those were the only two years that he was a major focal point of the team. To say he was solely responsible for their success is outlandish.

I don't agree with statement about Picciotti either but let's not minimize his career. He is one of the best players to ever play at West. The year they won the state title 56 - 7, they don't get there without Picciotti and what he did to Becahi in the playoffs.
Based purely on high school career because he got hurt, IMO off the top of my head, he may be the best offensive player in West history. Imo, Case and Lesnak were the two best defensive players so at worst, DP is a top three player in the history of West football.

I don't agree with statement about Picciotti either but let's not minimize his career. He is one of the best players to ever play at West. The year they won the state title 56 - 7, they don't get there without Picciotti and what he did to Becahi in the playoffs.
Based purely on high school career because he got hurt, IMO off the top of my head, he may be the best offensive player in West history. Imo, Case and Lesnak were the two best defensive players so at worst, DP is a top three player in the history of West football.

Picciotti is in the top five for sure. I am going to argue 'just because' someone is bringing this up.

Randy Cuthbert
Dave Armstrong
Robb Sweatt
Dustin Picciotti

and my vote, Corey Potter.

If we are talking about best high school player, Corey Potter was unreal. An absolute monster.

Sweatt was the best all around player. never left the field. Others who had outstanding careers.

Barry Compton, Pitt. when they were a national power
Tom Duff, temple, RB
Todd Norley, Syracuse, starting QB
Kevin Ward, Arizona, QB, WR. 4 year letter winner in football & baseball. Pac ten male athlete of the year.
And of course the most successful, Jim Jensen, Miami Dolphins, 200+ receptions, 19TD, NFL special team player of the year

Picciotti is in the top five for sure. I am going to argue 'just because' someone is bringing this up.

Randy Cuthbert
Dave Armstrong
Robb Sweatt
Dustin Picciotti

and my vote, Corey Potter.

If we are talking about best high school player, Corey Potter was unreal. An absolute monster.

BC,

Great list.

I forgot about Sweatt, great player indeed.

Watching Potter on kick coverage was worth the price of admission by itself.

Where's the love for Ivan Lesnik? I had to play head up against that freak. He was a Parade Magazine All American and went to Arizona and set all their lifting records as a freshman.

On a more humorous note, I ran into Coach Pettine at a golf outing some 11-12 years ago and we had a good laugh over Lesnik. We all knew his physical presence was all synthetic back in the day. Smash anyone in the legs and he is going down!

Many of you forget about Carey's only year as the CBW head coach in 2000. He had a great QB in Mike Orihel. They threw the ball, hence the D1 championship game against undefeated Downingtown. Carey threw the ball every down on the opening TD drive. 39-0 final!

Sweatt was the best all around player. never left the field. Others who had outstanding careers.

Barry Compton, Pitt. when they were a national power
Tom Duff, temple, RB
Todd Norley, Syracuse, starting QB
Kevin Ward, Arizona, QB, WR. 4 year letter winner in football & baseball. Pac ten male athlete of the year.
And of course the most successful, Jim Jensen, Miami Dolphins, 200+ receptions, 19TD, NFL special team player of the year
The Carey brothers could also be on the list.

I know the OL doesn't get much love, but the Wilson brothers were great on that 98 team. West was always known for great OL play and they, particularly Joe, may have been the best OL to ever play there.

Also, I wasn't trying to diminish Picciotti's accomplishments. I realize he was one of the best and most impactful players to ever attend West. However, I was just trying to demonstrate the point that they were not a "one man team."

Pottsgrove is an excellent job, especially in 4A-you take over an established program

Not only that, there aren't many 4A schools in District 1...certainly in the single digits. Pottsgrove could be in contention for a District title almost every year...unless they experience a precipitous drop in talent.

With the recent news, that leaves Tennent, CB West, and Pennridge with head coaching vacancies. It should be interesting to see who ends up taking over at these programs. They all have their advantages and disadvantages, some more so than others.

Anyone have intel on early favorites? It's always weird to me now that West isn't a "premiere" job in the state. After watching them dominate for so long, it's tough to wrap my head around them not attracting top talent. I do get why that isn't the case anymore, it's just different to see. Like my wife tells me, it isnt the 80s anymore!
If you stop wearing those earth shoes and the leisure suit, maybe your wife will stop reminding you.

I know the OL doesn't get much love, but the Wilson brothers were great on that 98 team. West was always known for great OL play and they, particularly Joe, may have been the best OL to ever play there.

Also, I wasn't trying to diminish Picciotti's accomplishments. I realize he was one of the best and most impactful players to ever attend West. However, I was just trying to demonstrate the point that they were not a "one man team."

With it being 30 years of state championships, I'm working on profiles of all 30 biggest school state champs. One of the position groups that really stands out is that West offensive line where all 5 were Division I (FBS/FCS) players. That kind of talent and size up front will win you a lot of games, even before we start talking about skill players.

On a side note, would people prefer releasing those profiles just chronologically, or would trying to rank the 30 champs be more fun?

As a philly guy, fun to hear these names being brought up. Not sure how it can be anything but positive having Mike Carey involved. Guy coached old school CB West then new school Wood. Had big time players at both, helped a bunch of guys. It's not like he has a leather helmet and has been under a rock.

Wood has been more than ok since Carey left. His influence there might be a little overstated.

Possibly, other posters on here are much more qualified to comment on the PCL than I am. Admittedly, I don't follow it closely. I'll go to some of the big PCL games, but that's it.

Wood has been fine without Carey except for 2015. If he was on staff that season, Wood would have another ring. (However they still should have won Tep game in '15 regardless)

Woods success with Carey was not the topic. It was CB West's coaching hire, and some people were questioning Carey counseling the decision. How many guys have experienced Suburban One success and seen up front PCL state championship success. I can't think of one. You can't sell me that having that perspective won't help. I'm not a Wood guy. But when they joined the PIAA they brought Carey on. You gotta think he gave them a perspective on how to survive PIAA playoffs. You don't think he picked something up from Wood...a perennial top program in the state?

I think if you have someone thats been around HS football and successful like him why wouldnt you listen to him.Also Wood is still very good but you can see the difference they may have been better than LS and SJP on a game by game basis with him

Individuals were contacted Wednesday of this past week.

Each candidate that has received the chance to interview are all connected to Mike Carey. Coached with or played under.

Trap

Wood has beaten lasalle last 3 years, so didn't need Carey. With a healthy swift Prep hard to beat last year no matter what. This year looked like teams had success throwing against prep Cville and PR...Carey wouldn't be in anyone's ear to throw more.

I will name one individual that will be interviewed:

Committee has selected CHRIS FELTON to be interviewed. As I have stated in previous posts: Mike Carey and Tim Donovan will want a CBW guy (or just Carey guy) to take over program.

What a shame. The community and players are getting the short end of the stick with this one. Sad as a Bucks County guy that was a part of those great CB West days.

Can anyone remind me why Felton's tenure there ended. I want to say he was there for about 3-4 years? I recall him having some talented backs when he was there. Oh well, I don't think this is a great sign.

no one else applied?

Others applied. I only named one person to interview.

All candidates to be interviewed are linked to Carey. Felton and Cleland are two of those people.

Felton was told to step down because parents did not like him, players did not like him, coaches did not like him. He could not win with solid teams that he had. He was a very poor head coach.

I thought that was the case. How could he get an interview after that fiasco? I hope they aren't taking steps backwards.

I thought that was the case. How could he get an interview after that fiasco? I hope they aren't taking steps backwards.

He worked at Wood with Carey for a bit, so that is why. The principal is going to listen to his former coach.

Again, thought they did a great job bringing in a young new face with the last coach, Cathers, but to now go back to an old school guy makes zero sense.

Although, there is a younger guy getting an interview, but he is too, a Carey guy (from Wood).

One other candidate getting an interview, but most likely not going to get the job. Traditional scheme guy.

Bucks, how is Cathers tenure viewed in Doylestown? I thought he did a magnificent job of taking over that program in tough circumstances. That was a difficult job he was walking into. This season he took them to the playoffs. He did have some nice talent on this squad, especially in their senior class.

I guess I'm just curious if people in Doylestown consider this season a success now? Full disclosure, I'm not saying it is or isn't a success. Nor do I think there is a right or wrong answer. I'm just asking 'what is the general sentiment in the community?'

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT