ADVERTISEMENT

District 1 Openings

I see your point and there's certainly some merit to it. Schools will limit themselves by only looking for an alum or only looking for a candidate with head coaching experience. Hopefully West is interviewing more than the candidates listed in this thread. Maybe Bucks can elaborate on that.

I have no real ties to the program, nor do I have a horse in this race, but I still can't believe these four are viable candidates! I honestly believe at least two of them are absolutely nuts for even applying!

The West coaching job may go to Chris Clelland former player and assistant coach. Why would West hire a person who coached for a couple of years then moved on when things got tough and moved 3 times since. This is High School , not the NFL or the SEC. Students come first, not adults, its about teaching life lessons. That is what is important.

Reactions: bucksf-ball
CB West does not hire only alumni. Hensel went to Ryan. Ideally West as many programs do want coaches who are teachers in the building. Won't name a name yet, but my favorite (dark horse) is a former assistant coach and player at West who has recently coached the youth organization when his kids played and now that they are going to be entering HS he wants to coach them.

Hollenbach applying to West is surprising. He has had "issues" throughout his career, but how many are "issues" he could have ever prevented. He had players arrested in both stints. Was that his "issue." I think he is a Pennridge lifer and wouldn't go to West. Could be wrong.

I heard Pennridge has got a lot of applicants, even from numerous head coaches and coordinators out of state. I don't think they have a position though in the building to offer right now and that may make hiring more difficult. I know four D.C.s (some with head coaching experience) interested, 3 with Pennridge ties who may be considered.

The West coaching job may go to Chris Clelland former player and assistant coach. Why would West hire a person who coached for a couple of years then moved on when things got tough and moved 3 times since. This is High School , not the NFL or the SEC. Students come first, not adults, its about teaching life lessons. That is what is important.

I heard the same thing, that Cleland is a leading candidate, and he has a son on the team. Personally, I think they can do something better. He has not coached high school ball in three years, and all of a sudden he is going to be a Head Coach, so that doesn't have me completely sold if I am on the panel.

I think the panel needs to decide on someone that is going to bring a new dimension to the program. Cathers the past three years did a great job of stabilizing the program after the hazing issue, and brought them to the playoffs. He was different in a sense that he was young, energetic, and that he could put the time into the program.

There are other candidates out there, it is a matter of: does the principal go with an old school West guy like himself, or does the panel open it up, see what everyone has to offer for a vision into the far future of the West program.

My two sense.

Reactions: bohucon
CB West does not hire only alumni. Hensel went to Ryan. Ideally West as many programs do want coaches who are teachers in the building. Won't name a name yet, but my favorite (dark horse) is a former assistant coach and player at West who has recently coached the youth organization when his kids played and now that they are going to be entering HS he wants to coach them.

Hollenbach applying to West is surprising. He has had "issues" throughout his career, but how many are "issues" he could have ever prevented. He had players arrested in both stints. Was that his "issue." I think he is a Pennridge lifer and wouldn't go to West. Could be wrong.

I heard Pennridge has got a lot of applicants, even from numerous head coaches and coordinators out of state. I don't think they have a position though in the building to offer right now and that may make hiring more difficult. I know four D.C.s (some with head coaching experience) interested, 3 with Pennridge ties who may be considered.

Pennridge will offer some sort of position with the Head Coach opening. Also, the board knows that you are talking about Cleland... A youth coach for a couple of years.

00shoe exactly my point. It is crazy to me that he would apply and think he has a chance.

bucks I don't know Hollenbach at all, but I would agree with the notion that there's not much he could do and those situations. My only point was the I could see that being a situation where an administration says we just got over our own problems we don't need any more. Which would be wrong, but I could see the reasoning behind it.

Was Cleland an assistant at West or somewhere else? Has he been a coordinator in high school? If not, that can be quite the jump. I'm sure whoever they pick will be up to the task!

Man, that area in Doylestown/Bucks has changed a ton since the days of senior. I just don't see where an alumnus would be that valuable. We are talking about kids born in 2003. We are talking about families that moved into the area in the early 2000s with the housing boom up there. Mike Carey moved over to Wood and is retired now. I wish my old high school and league would go back and find it's roots but that ain't gonna happen. I don't have a horse in this, but I think new blood may surprise them. Let's face it, and this is gonna sound harsh. But getting their butts kicked by NP is what has happened over the past 15 years. That's the culture. Bring in someone who wants to face down the big bad bully. Not hold on to how it was.

6, I agree with your general sentiment. I think FJ shares a similar viewpoint. But, when the decision-maker is an old West guy, he may lean towards his roots. I'm not even aware of any "outsider" candidates other than Hollenbach. I'm very interested to see how this process plays out. I'd love to see West compete for District 1
championships again. Maybe that's far fetched, but it would sure be fun!

Reactions: 6daystosaturday
Was Cleland an assistant at West or somewhere else? Has he been a coordinator in high school? If not, that can be quite the jump. I'm sure whoever they pick will be up to the task!

Cleland I believe was part of the Hensel staff most recently, as far as High School goes. The past three years, Cleland was a youth coach, not even sure if he was a Head Coach for the youth organization. If I am on the panel, which I am clearly not, this is not the most appealing option if I am reading resumes, but I feel as though this might be the choice because of the principal and the links as a "West" old school guy.

Man, that area in Doylestown/Bucks has changed a ton since the days of senior. I just don't see where an alumnus would be that valuable. We are talking about kids born in 2003. We are talking about families that moved into the area in the early 2000s with the housing boom up there. Mike Carey moved over to Wood and is retired now. I wish my old high school and league would go back and find it's roots but that ain't gonna happen. I don't have a horse in this, but I think new blood may surprise them. Let's face it, and this is gonna sound harsh. But getting their butts kicked by NP is what has happened over the past 15 years. That's the culture. Bring in someone who wants to face down the big bad bully. Not hold on to how it was.

I totally agree with you. Things have changed, and football has changed too. I believe that the program needs to continue an energy boost as they received this past couple years with the young guy Cathers after taking over the scandal that was... Maybe the panel looks at each resume and separates the traditional for someone different that brings a boost to the program so they can look North Penn in the eye and not be afraid.

6, I agree with your general sentiment. I think FJ shares a similar viewpoint. But, when the decision-maker is an old West guy, he may lean towards his roots. I'm not even aware of any "outsider" candidates other than Hollenbach. I'm very interested to see how this process plays out. I'd love to see West compete for District 1
championships again. Maybe that's far fetched, but it would sure be fun!

There are "outsider" candidates like the Ryan guy and even some out-of-state candidates.

Wow, West attracting out-of-state candidates is impressive. I hope the panel has an open mind and is at least willing to interview more than just alums. Does anyone know when interviews are taking place or if they have already begun?

Wow, West attracting out-of-state candidates is impressive. I hope the panel has an open mind and is at least willing to interview more than just alums. Does anyone know when interviews are taking place or if they have already begun?

Is West even an attractive job? I wouldn't think so at this point. I think mentioning "looking North Penn in the eye" buys into the same nonsensical, archaic attitude as only hiring a West alumnus. If the principal feels that way, then he hasn't been paying attention.

I too loved the old West days but they are over, never to return. They could hire Vince Lombardi in his prime and they wouldn't beat North Penn. They need to be realistic, they are a small school now. They need to take baby steps, maybe try to get to the level of CB South to start. North Penn and Pennridge are the dominant players in their league, they just need to compete with East, South, Souderton and QTown. A young, energetic, enthusiastic coach with a fresh approach would be best; it's time to be a realist

JH, that's fair. I don't expect them to compete with NP next year regardless of who is hired. However, they did make the tournament this year. Maybe next year they can show progress by winning a playoff game. That will be a tall task considering graduation losses, but it would go a long way in establishing some excitement around the program.

JH, that's fair. I don't expect them to compete with NP next year regardless of who is hired. However, they did make the tournament this year. Maybe next year they can show progress by winning a playoff game. That will be a tall task considering graduation losses, but it would go a long way in establishing some excitement around the program.

Best win was against an awful QTown team. Relax.

Any updates on the Conestoga, Methacton, Henderson or Kennett jobs? As an impartial observer I guess Pennridge is the most attractive job up in BucksMontco but would put the Conestoga opening right up there. Has Pennridge or Conestoga ever made the district finals?

I don't think aspiring to get back into contention for a D1 Championship is crazy at all. I think building the program back up and some consistent winning seasons will go a long way. Talk about private schools all you want, but people find winners to play for. You don't really think kids just happen to find North Penn do you? It is just the nature of the world, always has been and always will be.

FJ, comparing NP and West isn't really fair. It will take someone very special to get West to contend with NP. I don't know if they'll ever get back to that point.

FJ, comparing NP and West isn't really fair. It will take someone very special to get West to contend with NP. I don't know if they'll ever get back to that point.

I believe that it is possible to build a program that can compete with the likes of North Penn and Pennridge. To say that they could win those two games every year, I would say no. But I do think that someone that can bring a program to winning ways, maybe not three straight state titles, but a program that can compete each week and fight until the end.

To the West being an attractive job, I believe it is. The young Cathers guy built up numbers and had the team believing from what I saw in the stands. Conestoga can do the same exact things. In with the new out with the old. Pennridge can most definitely because of enrollment. WCH is able to do so as well. 7+ wins a year and possibly competing to win one or two more playoff games is certainly possible in my mind.

Is West even an attractive job? I wouldn't think so at this point. I think mentioning "looking North Penn in the eye" buys into the same nonsensical, archaic attitude as only hiring a West alumnus. If the principal feels that way, then he hasn't been paying attention.

I too loved the old West days but they are over, never to return. They could hire Vince Lombardi in his prime and they wouldn't beat North Penn. They need to be realistic, they are a small school now. They need to take baby steps, maybe try to get to the level of CB South to start. North Penn and Pennridge are the dominant players in their league, they just need to compete with East, South, Souderton and QTown. A young, energetic, enthusiastic coach with a fresh approach would be best; it's time to be a realist
I attended many CB West games during the Pettine/Carey era and we all acknowledge that program was as good as it gets in Pa.history. The combination of Pettine and Carey leaving and the opening of CB South was the demise as I see it. My son in law has taught at West for years and he as well as many others concur that historically ,many of Wests good athletes come from the Area that South now draws from.I believe that unless West hires and retains a coach like a Drew Gordon they will not compete with the bigger schools in their District.A coach like Gordon can bring a dynamic passing game that could offset the ground and pound teams . I am not suggesting Gordon as Drew is up there in years and I understand he probably would pass on an opportunity at this juncture. I would like West to return to their previous winning ways . War Memorial stadium used to rock on Friday nights .

keep dreaming. The past will never happen again. The politics that split Central bucks East & West had a lot to do with the success of both schools athletic programs That is not this school districts "brand" today. It is also war Memorial Field not Stadium, ask the people who raised the money for it's purchase.

keep dreaming. The past will never happen again. The politics that split Central bucks East & West had a lot to do with the success of both schools athletic programs That is not this school districts "brand" today. It is also war Memorial Field not Stadium, ask the people who raised the money for it's purchase.

The committee that will gather this week will believe that the past can come back. An old school guy is extremely likely to get this job based on who is deciding this one.

What a shame that CBW will turn back instead of progress forward.

The committee that will gather this week will believe that the past can come back. An old school guy is extremely likely to get this job based on who is deciding this one.

What a shame that CBW will turn back instead of progress forward.

2 playoff wins in 18 years. Let's move on.

CB West has numerous applicants.

A bunch of alumni have applied from Cuthbert to Felton to many others. Archbishop Ryan's Frank McArdle and Hollenbach of Pennridge threw their names into the ring as surprises...

McArdle DID NOT throw his name into the ring. Inaccurate info.

McArdle DID NOT throw his name into the ring. Inaccurate info.

According to two direct members on the committee for the Head Coach position, McArdle did in fact apply. I am not sure if he pulled his application, but I am just a relayer of information. Not stirring the pot. More to come tomorrow.

@BucksCountyFB

Hollenbach at CB West? Lol are you really that nuts to 1. Believe that or 2. A liar/rumor creator?? That's really funny... maybe he will put in for the Souderton/northpenn/quakertown gig too give me a break. You do know he resigned and retired, right? Looks like someone else called you out on the Mcardle crap too...

Bucks, since you seem to be close to the situation, when are interviews occurring? Who is the on the committee? I'm assuming it must be some "legacy" people.

@BucksCountyFB

Hollenbach at CB West? Lol are you really that nuts to 1. Believe that or 2. A liar/rumor creator?? That's really funny... maybe he will put in for the Souderton/northpenn/quakertown gig too give me a break. You do know he resigned and retired, right? Looks like someone else called you out on the Mcardle crap too...

It does not matter if you believe the information or not, I am just told this information from someone that will be sitting in on the committee this week to decide who will be interviewed and then conduct those interviews. His name was one that came to a surprise to me as well.

The principal will have the most pull on this process as he will want 'his guy' on the football field. In addition, his right hand man for deciding the hire will be one of the former greats at the school.

I'm aware of the principle and figured he'd have a large involvement in the process. Pure speculation, could his right-hand man be a former player and coach at West? If so, that is great news he's involved in this process. He knows what it takes to win!

Former great is BS! Buckscounty football doesn't know shit. The parents will have input and the principal make the decision. In the end it's his reputation.

Reactions: district1elite
I figured that was who you were hinting out. If that is the case, it's great to see him involved in the selection process. He should be able to help the administration find a quality staff.

I figured that was who you were hinting out. If that is the case, it's great to see him involved in the selection process. He should be able to help the administration find a quality staff.

The last time Carey coached at CB West not one player on the team was born. Those players couldn't pick him out of a lineup. It's over. Let it go.

I am speaking to Carey's involvement in selecting the next head coach. It has nothing to do with the current players. Carey can tell a good head coach and staff from a bad one. I'd rather have him help in selecting my next head coach, than a group of administrators who have never been around football (not that this is the case at West, but it certainly is the case at some schools). Carey should help to steer the administration in the right direction.

Do you think Carey helped pick the two coaches that came immediately after him at CB West? Cuthbert and Felton I believe? Just because you're an all time great coach, doesn't mean you will be able to pick the next one. Just because you're a great position coach/coordinator doesn't mean you will be a good HC. All that being said, I'd rather have the guy involved than not involved.

I am speaking to Carey's involvement in selecting the next head coach. It has nothing to do with the current players. Carey can tell a good head coach and staff from a bad one. I'd rather have him help in selecting my next head coach, than a group of administrators who have never been around football (not that this is the case at West, but it certainly is the case at some schools). Carey should help to steer the administration in the right direction.

You seem to be pretty close to the CB West program situation so answer me this question. Does Mike Pettine have the career and success he did without Mike Carey on his staff? Would he have won as many games and state titles?

I'm not very close to the West program at all. Simply, I was a fan during the "glory years." I suppose you could call me a bandwagon fan. I just loved how fundamentally sound the Pettine-Carey teams were; I found them to be a pleasure to watch. Therefore, I enjoyed seeing them succeed.

Anyway, no I do not believe Pettine would have had the success from a longevity standpoint without Carey. If you watch the documentary on their final season, I think Pettine even admits it. I also recall Pettine mentioning that in his retirement press conference and subsequent interviews.

Would Pettine have still been extremely successful? Yes, of course. Would he have the same amount of "hardware?" That's debatable, but I'd lean towards no. I think it was a coaching tandem that would be almost impossible to duplicate today.

Anyway, I'm not sure how your question is relevant?

ADVERTISEMENT