ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling District 11 3A Duals

RoverNation05

Aug 22, 2010
Long one of my favorite days on the high school sports calendar, the D11 duals take place today at Freedom High School in Bethlehem. It’s the 20th anniversary of one of the most stunning duals I’ve ever witnessed – Easton’s 34-23 win over Northampton (who tied a record with four individual state champs that season) one week after losing the regular season finale 31-29, highlighted by current Phillipsburg head coach Brad Gentzle turning a 17-2 technical fall loss to John Paukovitz into a 7-5 win, and Easton won eight consecutive bouts to take a 31-3 lead. Easton went on to win the state dual final 43-12, while Northampton and their four state champs outpaced the Rovers in the individual tournament in March.

There will not be as much drama today. Since 2005 the top two D11 teams advance to the state tournament rather than winner-take-all, so it is possible (and very likely) that todays final we be rematched in Hershey. Bethlehem Catholic and Nazareth are the consensus top two teams in the state, and did not dual in the regular seaon, so today will be a dress rehersal for the final, assuming everything goes to plan.

Bethlehem Catholic is ranked #9 in the country, fresh off of a 21-18 dual meet win over Malvern Prep. The Golden Hawks have three #1 ranked wrestelrs in the state – defending state champ Nate Desmond at 113 is also ranked third in the country, while 138 pounder Kollin Rath, a third place finisher at the state tournament last year, is ranked #6 nationally at his weight class. Both are sophomores. Their lineup has also been buoyed by their third #1 ranked wrestler – also ranked #1 nationally – in freshman Keanu Dillard at 106. Dillard fractured his orbital bone and required surgery, and he just joined the Becahi lineup last week as they were cautious bringing the all-world freshman back after his injury. Besides those three, Cael McIntyre is ranked #2 in the state at 133, and Jake Dailey, Andrew Harmon, and Luke Thomas are all ranked in the top 6 at 152, 160, and 172. Twelve of the thirteen Golden Hawks are ranked in the top 25 in the state at their weightclass, and seniors McIntyre (American), Dailey (West Point), and Harmon (Air Force) are all Division I commits.

They will likely see Nazareth in both the D11 and state final. The Blue Eagles came into the year with one of the most talented lineups in the country, but have been decimated by injuries in a way that has tanked their national ranking (most of their elite kids did not wrestle at their marquee events) but at least in some spots they’ve rounded into health for a run at state titles over the next month. For Nazareth, things start up top with returning state champions Sonny Sasso (220) and Sean Kinney (285). Sasso was the outstanding wrestler last year, knocking off national #1 Mac Stout to win at 189, while Kinney became the first sophomore to win a 3A state title at heavyweight and is on track to be the first ever 4x state finalst at heavyweight in Pennsylvania. Both are ranked in the top 5 nationally in their weight. Sasso, who was also the EPC Offensive Player of the Year as the Blue Eagles quarterback, missed the first three months of wrestling season with a broken hand and is still wrestling with a pretty significant cast that limits his grip strength on one hand. Kinney, an All State offensive tackle, was limited by an football ankle injury and missed the CV Kickoff Classic and Beast of the East, but is a virtual guaranteed victory in just about every Nazareth bout.

Beyond that, Nazareth has had to do it with depth rather than stars. Tahir Parkins came into the year ranked in the top 10 nationally at 121, but a torn ACL at Beast of the East ended his season. Noah Okamoto is a returning medalist at 189 and was preseason top 3 in the state, but a shoulder injury has limited him to three matches. Dominic Wheatley is their biggest gun still healthy, ranked #3 in the state at 172 after medaling at 152 as a junior. Charlie Bunting, third place in 2022, has had an up and down eyar against a tough schedule, but is talented enough to be amongst the state’s elite at 133. Jake Doone is their fifth returning medalist, and is a tough out at 145. They also have a trio of freshmen in twins Jack and Cade Campbell (138 and 152) and Brayden Zuercher (160) who have combined to go 59-19 in their 9th grade years and give the Blue Eagles depth through the middle weights. Uncharacteristically, they are weak from 106-127, which should allow Bethlehem Catholic to roll.

Outside of the top two, it will be the final dual weekend of the year for the state’s 6th and 7th ranked teams in Northampton and Easton. The Konkrete Kids beat the Red Rovers 29-28 on criteria (they tied at 28, but Northampton won 7 bouts to Easton’s 6) back in January. Unfortunately we won’t see a rematch unless each team upsets Becahi and Nazareth. Northampton is led by returning medalists and Division I recruits Carson Wagner (George Mason) and Dagen Condomitti (Oregon State) who are in the mix for state titles at 121 and 160. Wagner’s younger brother Trey has also had a fantastic year as a freshman at 127, where he’s ranked #9 in the state. It has been a promising season for the KKids under first year head coach Joe Provini, who had spent the previous 15 years as the top assistant at Nazareth.

Easton continues its rebuild and has put together a dual team that can really hold its own. They finished third at Virginia Duals, beating a series of New Jersey and Virginia powers before bowing out to national #2 Wyoming Seminary (who beat Nazareth in the final). Easton also knocked off likely District 1 champion Council Rock South for their 1,000th dual win in program history. The Red Rovers don’t have a state champ level star, but should send Nick Salamone (freshman – 106), Chris Kelly (sophomore – 121), Ben Fanelli (junior – 127), Oliver Fairchild (senior – 138), and James Geiger (junior – 152) to the state tournament with the first four real medal threats.

The final team to watch is Pottsville, who by power points was the top team in District 11, though the seeding committee dropped them to fifth, where they’ll see Easton in quarters. Pottsville will be without the services of state #1 at 160 Nick Kunstek, who is ineligible for the postseason after leaving Blair Academy to come back to his home school. Kunstek, a junior, is a transfer after his sophomore season, thus ineligible for the posteason. But the Crimson Tide has real depth in their lineup, led by Parrish and Terrell McFarland (152 and 170) who are both state caliber wrestlers (Terrell was the junior high state champ last year at 155 and is one of the better freshmen upper weights in the country). They don’t quite have the full lineup depth to beat the best of the Lehigh Valley teams in a dual, but they will be a handful come tournament time, even without Kunstek.

Reactions: Relayer
In 2A, Notre Dame (Green Pond) should roll to a title. They lost the state final last year to Saucon Valley, who will be #2 here, but the Panthers lost a lot to graduation. They're still a top 5ish team in the state, but the Crusaders are loaded from top to bottom - particularly with the return of Joey LaPenna, who weighed in at 160 after missing a large chunk of the season with injury.

Notre Dame features nationally ranked Ayden Smith (106), Vince Bouzakis (138 - a National Prep champ at Wyoming Seminary as a freshman) and Holden Garcia (172 - returning state champion and Princeton commit) plus Cornell recruit Aidan Compton at heavyweight (who had to sit all of 2022 as an ineligible athletic transfer from Pen Argyl).

Noah Okamoto back for his first action since December gets a first period fall in Nazareth’s opening match.

Pottsville didn’t bring its four state caliber wrestlers (the McFarland’s, Dalton Monger, and Conner Demcher), presumably in protest of Kunstek being ruled ineligible.

Pottsville head coach Sammy Julian is a major figure in USA wrestling - he’s one of the best officials in the world and refereed Gold Medal matches at the last Olympics and I believe has reffed at the last 7 world championships.

Tahir Parkins also weighed in for Nazareth. He too a forfeit in his first bout. No idea on his health status, as I write above, I had heard the Beast of the East injury was an ACL and he was done. Maybe not?

Final four set -
#1 Bethlehem Catholic vs #4 Easton
#2 Nazareth vs #3 Northampton

Statewide, they are ranked #1, #2, #6, and #7. Waynesburg, Central Dauphin, and Canon McMillan are the teams ranked between the D11 groups.

Becahi beat Freedom 59-7
Easton beat Pottsville’s JV team 73-0
Northampton beat Parkland 40-26
Nazareth beat Emmaus 64-9

Last edited:
Out west, Canon McMillan beat Waynesburg on criteria to win the D7 championship. Haven’t seen a box score yet, but that’s a mild upset of state #5 beating state #3. Canon Mac doesn’t have any state champ or national level stars, but is really balanced through 13 weights, while Waynesburg has two of the top seniors in America in state champs Mac Church (145 - Virginia Tech) and Rocco Welsh (172 - Ohio State).

It’s the 10th WPIAL dual title for Canon Mac, but their first since 2013.

Last edited:
Council Rock South loses to Owen J Roberts?
Like I said in the other thread, D1 was wide open. South will wrestle Quakertown for 3rd. Pennridge vs Spring-Ford in the final. All 4 go to states. Every year it seems ludicrous that D11 only sends 2 teams to state duels.

Becahi beats Easton 41-6
Nazareth beats Northampton 57-13

Biggest individual results were Tahir Parkins beat Carson Wagner 3-2 and Trey Wagner beat Charlie Bunting 4-2 in OT

Like I said in the other thread, D1 was wide open. South will wrestle Quakertown for 3rd. Pennridge vs Spring-Ford in the final. All 4 go to states. Every year it seems ludicrous that D11 only sends 2 teams to state duels.
Quakertown is going to have a nice run in the individual portion of the season with Ziegler, Gaj, and Lachman. Ziegler and Gaj both grew up training at Red Hawk, where a lot of the Becahi wrestlers get hand picked from - I was glad they stayed at Quakertown and are having real success.

The state berths thing is silly. At the same time, while Easton is one of the 5-10 best teams in the state, they’re not winning a state title, so do they really need to be advanced to next weekend? I don’t think that’s the case either.

Honestly, I preferred the tournament as it was back in the early 2000s when it was district champs only, in an 8 team bracket (I think they regionalized 2/4 and 6/10).

Quakertown is going to have a nice run in the individual portion of the season with Ziegler, Gaj, and Lachman. Ziegler and Gaj both grew up training at Red Hawk, where a lot of the Becahi wrestlers get hand picked from - I was glad they stayed at Quakertown and are having real success.

The state berths thing is silly. At the same time, while Easton is one of the 5-10 best teams in the state, they’re not winning a state title, so do they really need to be advanced to next weekend? I don’t think that’s the case either.

Honestly, I preferred the tournament as it was back in the early 2000s when it was district champs only, in an 8 team bracket (I think they regionalized 2/4 and 6/10).
The year it really mattered was when we had the Becahi-Northampton state final, when Nazareth, Liberty, and those two all beat each kther during the regular season, and Northampton squeeked out a win over Liberty to make states. Any of those four teams could have legitimately won it.

Nazareth Becahi final at 5:30. If they wrestle straight up, here’s what I’ve got:
106: Dillard by pin (6-0 BC)
114: Desmond by pin (12-0 BC)
121: Parkins by major (12-4 BC)
127: Bunting by Dec (12-7 BC)
133: McIntyre by Dec (15-7 BC)
139: Rath by Dec (18-7 BC)
145: Scanlan by Dec (21-7 BC)
152: Dailey by fall (27-7 BC)
160: Harmon by major (32-7 BC)
172: Wheatley by Dec (32-10 BC)
189: Okamoto by Dec (32-13BC)
220: Sasso by fall (32-19 BC)
285: Kinney by fall (32-25)

Then we’ll do it again in the state final. 172 is the key bout, Wheatley and Thomas are 3 and 4 in the state.

Last edited:
Dual started at 172!! Get the big one out eaely

172: Dominic Wheatley dec Luke Thomas 4-3, Naz 3-0
189: Sonny Sasso (down from 220) pins Jacob Lance, Nazareth 9-0
220: Noah Okamoto (up from 189) major Jamie Deluise 14-3, Nazareth 13-0
The weight flip worked, as I only had Okamoto with a decision at 189 (though I thought it would be against Landon Muth, who hasn’t wrestled today)

285: Sean Kinney fall Elijah Thompson, Nazareth 19-0
106: Keanu Dillard fall Remy Trach, Nazareth 19-6
113: Nate Desmond fall Dom Rizzotto, Nazareth 19-12

Last edited:
121: Tahir Parkins dec Ryder Campbell, 8-2, Nazareth 22-15
Parkins only gets a regular decision, giving back the point that Okamoto picked up compared to my projections. They’ll need bonus somewhere else or to stay off their backs at 152.

127: Charlie Bunting Dec Shane McFillin 4-2, 25-15 Nazareth
Golden Hawks favored in the final five bouts

Hawks win all five with a decision from Cael MxIntyre, a tech from Kollin Rath, a decision from Charlie Scanlan, a fall from Jake Dailey and a major from Andrew Harmon to close it out.

36-25 final. Should see a rematch in the state final, not sure where or how Nazareth can make up 11 points.

Not that Faith Christian isn’t really good (and going to get even better - they’ve got 9 of the best junior high kids in PA coming in, and they’ve got kids from other states mocijg in to wrestle) but D1 2A has to be the weakest classification anywhere in the state. They should get to finals but lose to Notre Dame.

Not that Faith Christian isn’t really good (and going to get even better - they’ve got 9 of the best junior high kids in PA coming in, and they’ve got kids from other states mocijg in to wrestle) but D1 2A has to be the weakest classification anywhere in the state. They should get to finals but lose to Notre Dame.
Just for arguments sake, FCA would wipe the floor with all the D1 AAA teams.

Oh definitely. And they’re a year or two away from being one of the best teams in America. The Bachman kids coming in are supposed to be excellent, the Northampton kid who won states as a 7th grader has switched schools and will be there next year, Waters is one of the best freshman upper weights I’ve ever seen.

Take this for the way it’s intended, but what’s the deal with Faith Christian? I’m at least familiar with Ben Clymer - state champ and good college wrestler who wrestled for NW Lehigh but was homeschooled - and while I don’t doubt he’s a good coach, I wouldn’t have guessed pied piper, super program builder. I’ve heard the Bachmanns have been rallying the troops at the youth/club level to get everybody on the same high school team. I feel like that works for a single group of kids, but doesn’t always have staying power (Bishop Lynch, Texas is the program that comes to mind when the Silver kids and their friends came through). Do I have the right read?

I’ve also heard (presumably inflammatory rumor) that the school has a full online option, which is how some of the out of state transfers are making it work.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT