ADVERTISEMENT

SJP 28 - St. Ignatius (OH) 0 at the half.

NJ football must be on a completely different level.

NJ Northern-United league, (and that league only!!) is on a different level.

Top tier PIAA teams would have their way with just about anyone else in that state. IMHO..

NJ perennial "power" (southern group, non-public) Holy Spirit came into PA as the defending state champion last year and took on a rebuilding Malvern Prep, how'd they fare? They played them again last week, mercy-ruled..

Last edited:
I also don't think it helps that SJP always plays Bosco after a long road trip. Let's see how SJP does against St Joe's Regional of the same league in NJ. SJR beat Bosco this year.

35-6 final. Agree that they should be more competitive against St. Joseph's Regional. Should be interesting.

Last week was one of those weeks for SJP. Bosco was at home, smarting after losing its opener away at St. Joe's Regional--a game Bosco lost because of a few key turnovers.The Prep QB did not have a good game and the special teams gave up several big plays, partly because of inexperience. If you go down early in a game in which you know you're up against it, it's awfully hard to come back. Bosco showed again last night, beating Archbishop Moeller (which is usually one of Ohio's best teams) in Cincy 31-14, with Moeller getting a late TD to make it look closer than it was.

Impressive comeback today against St. Ignatius, which really dug itself into a hole with two key turnovers in the first half of the first quarter.

I expect the game against St. Joe's Regional to be much closer than the Bosco game, largely because Shaw should be more settled. Too bad Carter Lynch will likely be out till November. Strange that Gallagher (the placekicker who played a bit at end) transferred after two games. Anyone know why?

Though it makes for painful viewing, the video highlights of last week's game are worth watching if only to see Swift's incredible kickoff return near the end:

Thanks for posting, Tulla. Just based on that video, Prep didn't look as good as I expected, not so much because of Bosco, but just athletically. Great return by Swift. Funny that the Bosco kid blessed himself with his left hand; maybe the pope ok'd that too! It was the only thing Bosco did wrong all day!

Reactions: lilromeo
nj, Funny--I noticed the same left-handed blesser. It probably tells us something.

Obviously, the video was to some degree a distortion of what happened since it mainly depicted scoring plays and long gains. I also noticed it didn't show Swift's other TD. But no doubt it was a bad game for SJP. Last year when I watched them play Bosco at P-W I was struck by how unconfident SJP looked at the start of the game--as if they were afraid of making a mistake, which of course makes mistakes all the more likely. That's why I thought that if they could keep things even after the first few possessions this year, they'd be OK--but that obviously didn't happen. Part of the problem may just be that in early September Bosco is just further along it its preparedness. If you watch the highlights of the Bosco-SJR game you'll see that Bosco just kept shooting itself in the foot.

Swift's presence to some degree masks the fact that this year's SJP team is much more inexperienced than last year's was. Today's victory was good omen, though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT