ADVERTISEMENT

What's everyone's thought on these private school football factors like mater dei, St Thomas Aquinas, and here in PA SJP competing in the state plyoff

Sjp has the talent to complete with img or any highschool. Look at the list of talent they receive. Southern Columbia is a public school and does it with the talent in their community that's why no complaint and are very beatable because it. They were defeated 3 times two years ago, once this year by instate completion and imo got out played in the state championship and barley one that. They play on the same playing field so you can't complain. If a successful program does it right on the same rules how can you say anything. Sjp gets player from 3 states and a very large area. These are the best players from those areas and are an assembled all star team. There have been advantages in high school football but not like we see here. PCC recruits from Pittsburgh. Not nearly the pull of new Jersey and Philedalphia and PCC is forced to schedule only wpial schools because if it they have rebuilding years and down years. Just like other private schools in pa. They have a tough time making out of the wpial and most years like this year can't win it. Preps advantages are like nothing I've seen before within the piaa. You can't really defend prep on competing in the piaa tournament. If the piaa allowed for the big 33 team to compete in the playoffs do you have no problem with that? Btw preps team has more talent then the big 33 team.
Sjp pool is smaller than the pool of the entire Pittsburgh. We’ve discussed this before. Saying 3 states while sitting on the boarder makes it sound better than it is actually. For the sake of your argument I’ll side with you, but I’m sure you know how close jersey is to Philadelphia. We know there’s some public schools with larger radius.

Dudes will say this but still think SJP should be playing public schools in playoffs
Eventually they’ll be moved. I really don’t care much if they do or don’t. We’re now in 5a. I want to be the team that beats them and we still play them in league play. I’m old enough to remember when they weren’t as powerful. We came seconds away from defeating imhotep ( if not for certain reasons ) but they’re now 6a. The west now have 2 powers in district 12 to worry about. All restrictions sjp have don’t exist with imhotep and I’m sure they’re regrouping in a major way.

lol thats a good one- SJP vs PA all-star team? PA Big33 v SJP? I'd say prep would have knocked the snot out of PA Big 33, each of all of the last 10 years!!!
I agree, I don't know about the last 10 years but definitely the last 5 or 6. Shows thier advantages when they have more talent then a state wide all star team. I would bet if this year's prep team played the big 33 the game wouldnt be close. Prep definitely has more fbs kids.

Eventually they’ll be moved. I really don’t care much if they do or don’t. We’re now in 5a. I want to be the team that beats them and we still play them in league play. I’m old enough to remember when they weren’t as powerful. We came seconds away from defeating imhotep ( if not for certain reasons ) but they’re now 6a. The west now have 2 powers in district 12 to worry about. All restrictions sjp have don’t exist with imhotep and I’m sure they’re regrouping in a major way.
You guys were definitely close. What are those certain reasons you feel stopped RC from winning?

Public schools are winning state titles too. They (SJP) do have an advantage, but every program that consistently wins titles have an advantage. For example, Southern Columbia gets their transfers in early or from a votech school (I don’t know to be fact but it’s what’s been said), they also don't move up. Schools in Philadelphia have no feeder system and I know SJP is not relaxing any academic standards to get kids in. It’s not an easy school to get into. Their big advantage is they have finances and an investment. The other advantage is they are rolling. In other news, Aloquippa seems to be loading up.

Reactions: Football-Freaks
Sjp has the talent to complete with img or any highschool. Look at the list of talent they receive. Southern Columbia is a public school and does it with the talent in their community that's why no complaint and are very beatable because it. They were defeated 3 times two years ago, once this year by instate completion and imo got out played in the state championship and barley one that. They play on the same playing field so you can't complain. If a successful program does it right on the same rules how can you say anything. Sjp gets player from 3 states and a very large area. These are the best players from those areas and are an assembled all star team. There have been advantages in high school football but not like we see here. PCC recruits from Pittsburgh. Not nearly the pull of new Jersey and Philedalphia and PCC is forced to schedule only wpial schools because if it they have rebuilding years and down years. Just like other private schools in pa. They have a tough time making out of the wpial and most years like this year can't win it. Preps advantages are like nothing I've seen before within the piaa. You can't really defend prep on competing in the piaa tournament. If the piaa allowed for the big 33 team to compete in the playoffs do you have no problem with that? Btw preps team has more talent then the big 33 team.
Three states? SJP has had two players from Delaware in the last 20 years, one of whom played one year as a freshman and one of whom grew up in Philly and drove in from northern Delaware every day with his mother who worked in Philly. But, especially from a distance, this idea that SJP gets players from three or even four states has become a kind of mythology.

My point about Southern Columbia is very simple. It has won a large number of state titles--sometimes by margins greater than SJP's--but the great majority of people, certainly on here, attribute their success to great coaching, a winning tradition, hard work, etc. while many can focus only on SJP's "unfair advantages" when identifying reasons for their success. You say, for instance, they "receive" talent--as if all they have to do is give the kids uniforms and show them the way to the field.

As for PCC, you don't address my point that they don't have nearly the competition form other "non-boundary" schools that SJP has. Yes, the Philly area has more people than the Pittsburgh area, but there are a whole lot more schools as well. You suggest PCC can take players only from Pittsburgh. Really? Not from the areas around Pittsburgh? It's true that players (and other students) are coming from further distances to attend SJP. It isn't easy. But that's happened over a long time. Students and families are thinking it's worth the sacrifice--and it is a sacrifice. (I know from experience that at the end of after-school practice, a trip home of 10, 15, or 20 miles is not something you look forward to. ) Is there some rule that prevents PCC from recruiting players and other students from similar distances?

And about schedules: if the WPIAL's limitation on the number of games teams can play outside the league each year--one--is a problem, it's not SJP's fault--and no one's responsibility but the WPIAL's. SJP used to have more PCL games each year, but the PCL has shrunk--not SJP's fault. I'm pretty sure they would welcome a larger PCL (by, for instance, Malvern Prep joining the PCL).

Reactions: Football-Freaks
Three states? SJP has had two players from Delaware in the last 20 years, one of whom played one year as a freshman and one of whom grew up in Philly and drove in from northern Delaware every day with his mother who worked in Philly. But, especially from a distance, this idea that SJP gets players from three or even four states has become a kind of mythology.

My point about Southern Columbia is very simple. It has won a large number of state titles--sometimes by margins greater than SJP's--but the great majority of people, certainly on here, attribute their success to great coaching, a winning tradition, hard work, etc. while many can focus only on SJP's "unfair advantages" when identifying reasons for their success. You say, for instance, they "receive" talent--as if all they have to do is give the kids uniforms and show them the way to the field.

As for PCC, you don't address my point that they don't have nearly the competition form other "non-boundary" schools that SJP has. Yes, the Philly area has more people than the Pittsburgh area, but there are a whole lot more schools as well. You suggest PCC can take players only from Pittsburgh. Really? Not from the areas around Pittsburgh? It's true that players (and other students) are coming from further distances to attend SJP. It isn't easy. But that's happened over a long time. Students and families are thinking it's worth the sacrifice--and it is a sacrifice. (I know from experience that at the end of after-school practice, a trip home of 10, 15, or 20 miles is not something you look forward to. ) Is there some rule that prevents PCC from recruiting players and other students from similar distances?

And about schedules: if the WPIAL's limitation on the number of games teams can play outside the league each year--one--is a problem, it's not SJP's fault--and no one's responsibility but the WPIAL's. SJP used to have more PCL games each year, but the PCL has shrunk--not SJP's fault. I'm pretty sure they would welcome a larger PCL (by, for instance, Malvern Prep joining the PCL).
I have no problems with kids traveling to get a better education but these kids are traveling far distances for athletic reasons. It's an all star team. You proved my point that no other private school is doing what sjp is. It's a traveling all star team. I'm even ok with them having a football program but their advantages are to great that there's no way they should be allowed to compete in the piaa playoffs. They still can get their education and play their sports just no playoffs. Problem solved. Like I said why not let the big 33 team compete in the piaa playoffs. Would you have a problem with that?

Last edited:
I have no problems with kids traveling to get a better education but these kids are traveling far distances for athletic reasons. It's an all star team. You proved my point that no other private school is doing what sjp is. It's a traveling all star team. I'm even ok with them having a football program but their advantages are to great that there's no way they should be allowed to compete in the piaa playoffs. They still can get their education and play their sports just no playoffs. Problem solved. Like I said why not let the big 33 team compete in the piaa playoffs. Would you have a problem with that?
It's not that other private schools haven't tried. At various points in the last 20 years LaSalle, Wood, Roman, West Catholic, Neumann Goretti, and--to some degree--O'Hara, Bonner, Conwell-Egan, McDevitt before it closed, and, to varying degrees all the Inter-Ac schools have tried to build strong football programs with players who lived more than a few miles from the schools. The same can be said for some of the Jersey schools (e.g., Eustace, Camden Catholic, Paul VI, Holy Cross, St. Augustine) in areas where the Prep has traditionally drawn students/players. What anyone who's followed football in the area knows is that it's really hard to build and sustain an excellent football program. SJP itself had quite a dip when Brooks left. I remember when North Penn walloped them in 2010--no let up even when they were way ahead.

There's also IMHOTEP. Do they have an unfair advantage in being able to draw students from all of Philly--and, according to some, from beyond? I haven't read anyone on here suggest they should not be allowed in the playoffs. I guess their mistake is not winning enough state titles.

One big thing SJP has going for it is its location. LaSalle could have had pretty much the same "advantage" but many decades ago it moved from the city to the suburbs. Nice practice field next to the school and no safety worries about students coming and going, but harder to get to for people in much of the Philly area.

I--and no doubt many others others--could list a dozen things that would make SJP less dominant. If you were less focused on your grievance, you could probably do the same.

As for SJP playing the Big 33 team, it's not going to happen for obvious reasons. Maybe the fact that the Big 33 team and game are nothing like they used to be will provide some clues why SJP has been so dominant in the big school classification in PA.

Reactions: lilromeo
I ha
It's not that other private schools haven't tried. At various points in the last 20 years LaSalle, Wood, Roman, West Catholic, Neumann Goretti, and--to some degree--O'Hara, Bonner, Conwell-Egan, McDevitt before it closed, and, to varying degrees all the Inter-Ac schools have tried to build strong football programs with players who lived more than a few miles from the schools. The same can be said for some of the Jersey schools (e.g., Eustace, Camden Catholic, Paul VI, Holy Cross, St. Augustine) in areas where the Prep has traditionally drawn students/players. What anyone who's followed football in the area knows is that it's really hard to build and sustain an excellent football program. SJP itself had quite a dip when Brooks left. I remember when North Penn walloped them in 2010--no let up even when they were way ahead.

There's also IMHOTEP. Do they have an unfair advantage in being able to draw students from all of Philly--and, according to some, from beyond? I haven't read anyone on here suggest they should not be allowed in the playoffs. I guess their mistake is not winning enough state titles.

One big thing SJP has going for it is its location. LaSalle could have had pretty much the same "advantage" but many decades ago it moved from the city to the suburbs. Nice practice field next to the school and no safety worries about students coming and going, but harder to get to for people in much of the Philly area.

I--and no doubt many others others--could list a dozen things that would make SJP less dominant. If you were less focused on your grievance, you could probably do the same.

As for SJP playing the Big 33 team, it's not going to happen for obvious reasons. Maybe the fact that the Big 33 team and game are nothing like they used to be will provide some clues why SJP has been so dominant in the big school classification in PA.
Im not saying that prep should play the big 33 team but would you have an issue with the big 33 team competing in the piaa playoffs? Would you see a problem with that?

I ha
Im not saying that prep should play the big 33 team but would you have an issue with the big 33 team competing in the piaa playoffs? Would you see a problem with that?
That's a really easy one. I don't think they should compete in the PIAA playoffs because the players are not students at the same school. And if they did compete, they probably wouldn't win a championship because they are a group of players, often not among the best in the state, who practice for just a few days before playing a game.

Other then sjp
That's a really easy one. I don't think they should compete in the PIAA playoffs because the players are not students at the same school. And if they did compete, they probably wouldn't win a championship because they are a group of players, often not among the best in the state, who practice for just a few days before playing a game.
Other then sjp the big 33 would definitely beat any other team. If a school was able to go out and get all the players on the big 33 team do you think that school should be able to complete in the piaa playoffs?

You guys were definitely close. What are those certain reasons you feel stopped RC from winning?
Biggest was clock management. Leading by 2 scores with 7min left. We had a few bad drives late in the game. Imhotep pinned us and forced us to play in their territory in hopes we made a mistake and it paid off for them. We should’ve burned a bit more of that clock and focused on getting off good punts and forcing them to drive the length. They struggled to do that all game.

Biggest was clock management. Leading by 2 scores with 7min left. We had a few bad drives late in the game. Imhotep pinned us and forced us to play in their territory in hopes we made a mistake and it paid off for them. We should’ve burned a bit more of that clock and focused on getting off good punts and forcing them to drive the length. They struggled to do that all game.
Agreed, not being able to get a drive going hurt RC and not having the punter didn’t help either. Two years they played two great games. I think the difference was upfront. RC wasn’t able to do anything with the Imhotep defensive line. Seems like that’s one area RC really needs to improve. They also had I believe 2 late penalties that walked Imhotep up to the 10 or 5 yard line.

Off topic, hearing this is potentially Prete’s last year at RC. Anyone on current staff you’d like to see step up or should they go another direction?

Agreed, not being able to get a drive going hurt RC and not having the punter didn’t help either. Two years they played two great games. I think the difference was upfront. RC wasn’t able to do anything with the Imhotep defensive line. Seems like that’s one area RC really needs to improve. They also had I believe 2 late penalties that walked Imhotep up to the 10 or 5 yard line.

Off topic, hearing this is potentially Prete’s last year at RC. Anyone on current staff you’d like to see step up or should they go another direction?
If this is his last year I wouldn’t be mad if they gave Keita Crispin a shot. I know he’s been applying for different positions after leaving prep. Now with him being our DC his next position would be HC. The likelihood of it happening is pretty slim. My youngest son played during the McCord era. I never expected them to go back to Murph but I think that’s always worth consideration inside the building. There’s been a bunch of in house or alumni hiring in the past, so I always keep that in mind. Personally, I would go fresh. I think Prete has done a good job getting players in the door. The next coach would need to continue that.

Didn't know 'X' number of PIAA titles had to be won within a decade. How in the hell did I miss that over the years?
What you interpret as whining about Philly schools is responding to your incessant one-way griping about private schools that happen to be in Philly. What's your beef? They're playing within PIAA rules.

So anyway, why are you so angry most of the time?
* PS, I'm from Central PA.
you don't see the difference between winning 8 titles in 30 years like Chester and winning 8 within 10 years like numerous Philly catholic or charter schools?

i'll stop being angry when they stop giving me reasons to be angry

you don't see the difference between winning 8 titles in 30 years like Chester and winning 8 within 10 years like numerous Philly catholic or charter schools?

I don't think anyone over 18 should be angry--let alone resolve to remain angry--about high school sports.

I don't think anyone over 18 should be angry--let alone resolve to remain angry--about high school sports.
ok guy whose team has MAJOR advantages over everybody else and then pretends there are hardly any advantages at all

"you're poor and we're rich because we work harder than you"

lol- tulla- agreed- and hopefully we can debate stuff just for fun!!
like i have told you before, if not for the right timing or moving down your Rams would have been SJP's biggest victim... you would be their biggest critic otherwise

and all of these debates have always been fun, perhaps you guys are projecting

Yes of course I see the difference. One school won 8 titles in 30 years, the others won 8 titles in 10 years. You got that one right BP!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT