ADVERTISEMENT

SJP-Nazareth

If you read the headline to this article and immediately thought to yourself, “It’s not fair public football schools have to compete against private football schools” you are a public school apologist who is perpetuating a myth. While you are entitled to your opinion your statement is baseless and I’ll explain why in this article.
Every post-season public school teams lose to private school teams and we are inundated with coaches shouting to the sky why we need to separate the two in the playoffs. Through all the cries for the need for change what those people are really saying is “it’s not fair for public football schools to LOSE against private football schools.” On the contrary, when public football schools beat private football schools head to head the tone of the message shifts and takes on an underdog approach…”we beat them even though they cheat.” And when private football schools defeat public football schools the swath of excuses and crutches for losing takes an approach of unfairness…”they recruit and they have more resources.”

There will be a sizable group of people who read this article, perhaps a majority of public school supporters, who will not have their opinions altered by the facts presented (you believe what you believe because you’ve been beaten by a private school team). A smaller portion of the readers, likely the minority of public school supporters, will be enlightened, accept the facts and be less ignorant to the actual results of games at the highest level of high school football in Pennsylvania. The rest, perhaps some private school supporters and a handful of others, will learn something new in the process. Whatever your position on the topic of public vs. private in PA football competition it would behoove all readers of this article to keep an open mind to the facts and utilize them when having discussions to make educated arguments.

Full disclosure, I was educated and played football in the public school system and now when attending games and having discussions regarding public vs. private football I generally sympathize on the side of public schools. I avoid, however, to allow my feelings and emotions to get in the way of the facts when forming an educated opinion on the matter. While I empathize with public schools (“boundary programs”) that have to compete against private schools (“non-boundary programs”) particularly when it comes to how players come to be in those programs the statistics and facts of wins and losses at the highest levels prove public and private football schools in the Commonwealth win at nearly the exact same rate as the space they occupy among the 550+ PIAA member football schools.
Some statistics to keep in mind…private football schools in PA represent roughly 25% of all PIAA member schools. Keeping that statistic in mind understand this fact…since 1998 when the PIAA formalized the State Football Championship framework private schools have won 40 of 154 State Championship games (drum roll please)…a tick under 26% of those contests.

What does this mean? Private schools have won nearly the exact same percent of PIAA Football Championships as the space they represent among member schools. There is no advantage to winning at the highest level for private schools (a hush goes over the crowd). You may be shocked to learn this fact and my hope is you will realize, despite the “recruiting and resources” many believe are an unimaginable advantage for private schools, the win rate at the highest level of competition is the same.

Let’s take a deep dive on other public vs. private statistics in the PA State Championships for some perspective…

Since 1988 in 154 PA State Championship contests public schools have won 114 games (74%) and private schools have won 40 games (26%). The breakdown by class for public/private championship winning teams is as follows…

1A (29 public/6 private)

2A (29 public/6 private)

3A (26 public/9 private)

4A (24 public/11 private)

5A (4 public/3 private) – class added in 2016

6A (2 public/5 private) – class added in 2016

You may be wondering how the PIAA’s shift to six classes in 2016 has fared for state championship game results in regards to public vs. private success…

1A (5 public/2 private)

2A (7 public/0 private)

3A (7 public/0 private)

4A (3 public/4 private)

5A (4 public/3 private)

6A (2 public/5 private)

What can we surmise from this information?

The smallest public schools (1A-3A) fare very well in terms of State Championships. As the class size grows (4A-6A) the private schools begin to pick up momentum in terms of winning state titles. While you may believe this gives credence to an alternate set of facts I would submit the following truths…
Since 2016, privates schools have won 14 State Football Titles and just five schools have accounted for those victories (St. Joe’s Prep – 5x champs, Archbishop Wood – 3x, Erie Cathedral Prep – 3x, Bishop Guilfoyle – 2x and Bishop McDevitt – 1x). While the performances of those five schools has been impressive and the spark for much debate when it comes to the “fairness” of public vs. private football state title game matchups understand this…four of those five private school stalwarts have been defeated in a State Championship game head to head versus a public school in the past seven seasons. Since 2016 only Archbishop Wood remains undefeated vs. public schools in state title games at 3-0 although they were beaten by public school Thomas Jefferson in the 2008 3A class title game.

6A King Kong St. Joe’s Prep has lost twice in a State Championship tilt to public schools since 2016. First, in 2017 to Pine-Richland in a 41-21 classic won by the Rams and again in 2021 to Mt. Lebanon, 35-17, in another public school victory.

5A Erie Cathedral Prep fell victim to public school Goliath-slayer Pine-Richland, 48-7, in 2020.

4A Bishop McDevitt was handed a defeat by 1A enrollment public squad Aliquippa in a tremendous 34-27 affair in 2021.

1A Bishop Guilfoyle dropped a tight 10-7 contest to public school Farrell in 2019.
Should we assume those four public schools that have defeated private schools in recent State Championship games cried the blues prior to taking the field against their “recruited foes?” Or, would it be fair to state those public schools outperformed their “recruit and resources” private school opponents on that day and we should give them full credit without mentioning the “unfairness” of private vs. public? I would argue the latter. In fact, since 2016 public schools hold a very respectable 9-10 record head to head versus private schools in State Championship contests. Not surprisingly, over the past three seasons public schools have gone 7-3 in head to head State Championship games against private schools.
Additionally, 13 other public schools have proved victorious against private schools in State Championship head to head matchups since 1988. They include Hanover, Central Bucks West (twice), Mt. Carmel, North Penn, Southern Columbia (twice), Steelton-Highspire, Thomas Jefferson, Wilmington, Clairton, North Allegheny, South Fayette, Penn-Trafford and Belle Vernon.

Looking again at results since the PIAA moved to six classes in 2016 it should be noted that of the 28 public school champions crowned 16 different teams have accounted for those titles with just seven repeat champions (no it hasn’t just been Southern Columbia doing all the private school dragon slaying). The diversity of 16 public schools across all classes that have won titles in those seven seasons easily trumps the mere five private schools who raised the trophy. If your argument remains that privates schools dominate the state championship game landscape you clearly are not adhering to the facts of the matter and your argument is devoid of truth.
Perhaps you are still clinging to the “it’s not fair” argument when it comes to public vs. private football schools in the Commonwealth (again, likely because your hometown team took the L in the past). The WPIAL (District 7) has been the most dominant for state football championships since 1988. Over that span, WPIAL teams have amassed an incredible 56 State Titles easily outpacing every other District in the state. Of those 56 WPIAL state champions just five times have they been won by a private school. Pittsburgh Central Catholic has won the state title four times and North Catholic once (it should even be one less private state title for PCC as in 1988 the WPIAL 4A champion Upper St. Clair school board voted not to participate in the then-new PIAA State Championship format and PCC was sent in their place where they eventually won the title). It may interest you also to note that over the past two seasons public schools have won all six WPIAL classes in their championship tilts while going 3-0 in head to head matchups with private schools.

While I freely admit there is always room for improvement in how the PIAA organizes their post-season tournaments I am not in favor of splitting public and private football schools into separate classes for the regular season or the post-season for many of the reasons I’ve documented in this article. The statistical facts are clear over 35 years and 154 results of State Championship games…public football schools fare as well as private schools in PA title contests in comparison to their percent of teams comprising the 550+ PIAA member football programs.

Perhaps your opinion on this matter has been altered or at the least enlightened presented with the facts. If your opinion remains that public schools are not as successful as private schools at the highest level of competition in the Commonwealth you have made the choice to not understand or accept three decades of statistical data.

Follow PA Football News on Twitter @PaFootballNews

Good article, but the data is skewed. The PCL joined the PIAA in2008, and have won 8 of the 15 big school titles, or 60% of all big school titles. I am totally in the camp of not separating privates and public, just in the camp that St Joes, who aspires to be a national brand, should not play the likes of Nazareth.

If you read the headline to this article and immediately thought to yourself, “It’s not fair public football schools have to compete against private football schools” you are a public school apologist who is perpetuating a myth. While you are entitled to your opinion your statement is baseless and I’ll explain why in this article.
Every post-season public school teams lose to private school teams and we are inundated with coaches shouting to the sky why we need to separate the two in the playoffs. Through all the cries for the need for change what those people are really saying is “it’s not fair for public football schools to LOSE against private football schools.” On the contrary, when public football schools beat private football schools head to head the tone of the message shifts and takes on an underdog approach…”we beat them even though they cheat.” And when private football schools defeat public football schools the swath of excuses and crutches for losing takes an approach of unfairness…”they recruit and they have more resources.”

There will be a sizable group of people who read this article, perhaps a majority of public school supporters, who will not have their opinions altered by the facts presented (you believe what you believe because you’ve been beaten by a private school team). A smaller portion of the readers, likely the minority of public school supporters, will be enlightened, accept the facts and be less ignorant to the actual results of games at the highest level of high school football in Pennsylvania. The rest, perhaps some private school supporters and a handful of others, will learn something new in the process. Whatever your position on the topic of public vs. private in PA football competition it would behoove all readers of this article to keep an open mind to the facts and utilize them when having discussions to make educated arguments.

Full disclosure, I was educated and played football in the public school system and now when attending games and having discussions regarding public vs. private football I generally sympathize on the side of public schools. I avoid, however, to allow my feelings and emotions to get in the way of the facts when forming an educated opinion on the matter. While I empathize with public schools (“boundary programs”) that have to compete against private schools (“non-boundary programs”) particularly when it comes to how players come to be in those programs the statistics and facts of wins and losses at the highest levels prove public and private football schools in the Commonwealth win at nearly the exact same rate as the space they occupy among the 550+ PIAA member football schools.
Some statistics to keep in mind…private football schools in PA represent roughly 25% of all PIAA member schools. Keeping that statistic in mind understand this fact…since 1998 when the PIAA formalized the State Football Championship framework private schools have won 40 of 154 State Championship games (drum roll please)…a tick under 26% of those contests.

What does this mean? Private schools have won nearly the exact same percent of PIAA Football Championships as the space they represent among member schools. There is no advantage to winning at the highest level for private schools (a hush goes over the crowd). You may be shocked to learn this fact and my hope is you will realize, despite the “recruiting and resources” many believe are an unimaginable advantage for private schools, the win rate at the highest level of competition is the same.

Let’s take a deep dive on other public vs. private statistics in the PA State Championships for some perspective…

Since 1988 in 154 PA State Championship contests public schools have won 114 games (74%) and private schools have won 40 games (26%). The breakdown by class for public/private championship winning teams is as follows…

1A (29 public/6 private)

2A (29 public/6 private)

3A (26 public/9 private)

4A (24 public/11 private)

5A (4 public/3 private) – class added in 2016

6A (2 public/5 private) – class added in 2016

You may be wondering how the PIAA’s shift to six classes in 2016 has fared for state championship game results in regards to public vs. private success…

1A (5 public/2 private)

2A (7 public/0 private)

3A (7 public/0 private)

4A (3 public/4 private)

5A (4 public/3 private)

6A (2 public/5 private)

What can we surmise from this information?

The smallest public schools (1A-3A) fare very well in terms of State Championships. As the class size grows (4A-6A) the private schools begin to pick up momentum in terms of winning state titles. While you may believe this gives credence to an alternate set of facts I would submit the following truths…
Since 2016, privates schools have won 14 State Football Titles and just five schools have accounted for those victories (St. Joe’s Prep – 5x champs, Archbishop Wood – 3x, Erie Cathedral Prep – 3x, Bishop Guilfoyle – 2x and Bishop McDevitt – 1x). While the performances of those five schools has been impressive and the spark for much debate when it comes to the “fairness” of public vs. private football state title game matchups understand this…four of those five private school stalwarts have been defeated in a State Championship game head to head versus a public school in the past seven seasons. Since 2016 only Archbishop Wood remains undefeated vs. public schools in state title games at 3-0 although they were beaten by public school Thomas Jefferson in the 2008 3A class title game.

6A King Kong St. Joe’s Prep has lost twice in a State Championship tilt to public schools since 2016. First, in 2017 to Pine-Richland in a 41-21 classic won by the Rams and again in 2021 to Mt. Lebanon, 35-17, in another public school victory.

5A Erie Cathedral Prep fell victim to public school Goliath-slayer Pine-Richland, 48-7, in 2020.

4A Bishop McDevitt was handed a defeat by 1A enrollment public squad Aliquippa in a tremendous 34-27 affair in 2021.

1A Bishop Guilfoyle dropped a tight 10-7 contest to public school Farrell in 2019.
Should we assume those four public schools that have defeated private schools in recent State Championship games cried the blues prior to taking the field against their “recruited foes?” Or, would it be fair to state those public schools outperformed their “recruit and resources” private school opponents on that day and we should give them full credit without mentioning the “unfairness” of private vs. public? I would argue the latter. In fact, since 2016 public schools hold a very respectable 9-10 record head to head versus private schools in State Championship contests. Not surprisingly, over the past three seasons public schools have gone 7-3 in head to head State Championship games against private schools.
Additionally, 13 other public schools have proved victorious against private schools in State Championship head to head matchups since 1988. They include Hanover, Central Bucks West (twice), Mt. Carmel, North Penn, Southern Columbia (twice), Steelton-Highspire, Thomas Jefferson, Wilmington, Clairton, North Allegheny, South Fayette, Penn-Trafford and Belle Vernon.

Looking again at results since the PIAA moved to six classes in 2016 it should be noted that of the 28 public school champions crowned 16 different teams have accounted for those titles with just seven repeat champions (no it hasn’t just been Southern Columbia doing all the private school dragon slaying). The diversity of 16 public schools across all classes that have won titles in those seven seasons easily trumps the mere five private schools who raised the trophy. If your argument remains that privates schools dominate the state championship game landscape you clearly are not adhering to the facts of the matter and your argument is devoid of truth.
Perhaps you are still clinging to the “it’s not fair” argument when it comes to public vs. private football schools in the Commonwealth (again, likely because your hometown team took the L in the past). The WPIAL (District 7) has been the most dominant for state football championships since 1988. Over that span, WPIAL teams have amassed an incredible 56 State Titles easily outpacing every other District in the state. Of those 56 WPIAL state champions just five times have they been won by a private school. Pittsburgh Central Catholic has won the state title four times and North Catholic once (it should even be one less private state title for PCC as in 1988 the WPIAL 4A champion Upper St. Clair school board voted not to participate in the then-new PIAA State Championship format and PCC was sent in their place where they eventually won the title). It may interest you also to note that over the past two seasons public schools have won all six WPIAL classes in their championship tilts while going 3-0 in head to head matchups with private schools.

While I freely admit there is always room for improvement in how the PIAA organizes their post-season tournaments I am not in favor of splitting public and private football schools into separate classes for the regular season or the post-season for many of the reasons I’ve documented in this article. The statistical facts are clear over 35 years and 154 results of State Championship games…public football schools fare as well as private schools in PA title contests in comparison to their percent of teams comprising the 550+ PIAA member football programs.

Perhaps your opinion on this matter has been altered or at the least enlightened presented with the facts. If your opinion remains that public schools are not as successful as private schools at the highest level of competition in the Commonwealth you have made the choice to not understand or accept three decades of statistical data.

Follow PA Football News on Twitter @PaFootballNews
One thing for sure: SJP will not be in the position they're in now indefinitely. It helps to realize how this or that single event can make a big difference. For instance in the five years before Swift came to SJP LaSalle beat the Prep 6 games out of 8 and won the PCL championship each year--five in a row. SJP, in fact, didn't win a single PCL championship between 2006 and 2012--7 years!. If Swift had chosen to go to LaSalle-as he almost did--I suspect the history since 2013 would look very different--as much at LaSalle as at SJP.

It would be wrong to suggest Swift coming to the Prep made all the difference--Infante's hiring (and his hiring of people like Roken) and his development of the program, Reid and Zachaeus coming to the Prep when it was at its lowest point in 2010, the commitment families like the Johnsons made, etc. were also very important--but I think Swift made a big difference to the profile of the program and to the attractiveness of the school and the program to some kids and families who may not have otherwise come.

Now there is a change underway at LaSalle. One way or another that could influence the situation at SJP. (A stronger LaSalle could make this better for SJP, but not necessarily.) A stronger program at at south Jersey Catholic high school--or even stronger programs in a group of public schools--would also likely impact who's going to SJP. And as is the case with any high-profile team in any sport, if a key person makes a big mistake, the ripple effect is a lot stronger. (The documentary about Brooks and SJP in 2004 convinced some parents not to consider SJP.) SJP's success is also closely related to a great group of coaches staying together, even when personal and family situations are difficult, over many years. But life doesn't stop throwing curve balls.

Reactions: lilromeo
Tulla, do you have a link to that documentary? Thanks
Sorry, I don't. It was 19 years ago. I seem to recall it was a Comcast documentary, not ESPN.

I saw it once. It showed Brooks to be the kind of old-school football coach most of us probably encountered along the way: volatile, often angry, and occasionally crude. He sometimes singled out players for criticism in ways some would call emotionally abusive--but others would say he was just being something like Woody Hayes. I always felt he made at least some of his players too uptight / afraid to lose, especially in big games. In 2000. 2004, 2006, 2007, and 2009 his teams lost in PCL championship games to teams they had beaten, sometimes by wide margins, in the regular season. (They won championships in 2001, 2002, 2003, and 2005.) Being demanding in the way he was worked well for some players, not for others. He was innovative, focused, and dedicated, but things began unravelling toward the end. The school fired him in early 2010.

Reactions: lilromeo
Good article, but the data is skewed. The PCL joined the PIAA in2008, and have won 8 of the 15 big school titles, or 60% of all big school titles. I am totally in the camp of not separating privates and public, just in the camp that St Joes, who aspires to be a national brand, should not play the likes of Nazareth.
That's the first thing I thought D1 Transplant; the count starts at 2008. Isn't that obvious? But I'll give RCH the respect deserved for taking the time....and do a re-read.

Reactions: d1football1
I have not seen this kind of dominance at the highest level since Tommy Knotts and Charlotte independence NC won 7 in a row.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT