ADVERTISEMENT

FINAL: SJP 49 - CB South 0 // NA 24 - Harrisburg 12

CAMoleskinner

Jun 4, 2019
SJP returned opening kickoff for TD and missed PAT. CBS punted after first possession and SJP scored on theirs. CBS goes nowhere on next series and punts - score by SJP follows to open 20-0 lead. CBS series falters with punt. SJP scores on 74 run on next series. Next set of exchanges followed suit and SJP went for two after their 5th TD to make it 35-0 with two minutes remaining in second quarter. Ooooops - another exchange so now it's 42-0.

NA up 17-6 over Harrisburg late in 2nd.

Last edited:
I think I can go to the gym now and not miss how the SJP-CBS game turns out.

Someone else can bring the NA-Harrisburg game home.

I've got it dialed in on MaxPreps for the score updates. Too hard to figure out the NFHS feed (or whatever).

Anyway, I can head to the gym as I'm figuring SJP will pull the foot off the pedal and put in the second and third teams for the running clock second half.

The other game looks a little more interesting.

SJP returned opening kickoff for TD and missed PAT. CBS punted after first possession and SJP scored on theirs. CBS goes nowhere on next series and punts - score by SJP follows to open 20-0 lead. CBS series falters with punt. SJP scores on 74 run on next series. Next set of exchanges followed suit and SJP went for two after their 5th TD to make it 35-0 with two minutes remaining in second quarter. Ooooops - another exchange so now it's 42-0.

NA up 17-6 over Harrisburg late in 2nd.
Unfortunate for cb south kids. You got regular high school kids playing against an assembled all star team. I thought the Harrisburg NA game would have been a shoot out like the PCC game.

Does anyone know why SJP continues to throw the ball late in these games? They threw a flea flicker against Naz when they were up big in the 3rd. And they just threw two passing TDs to go up 42 and 49 vs CBS. I assume their backup QB and WRs are seniors? Their staff has always been classy.

Reactions: bucksftball
Does anyone know why SJP continues to throw the ball late in these games? They threw a flea flicker against Naz when they were up big in the 3rd. And they just threw two passing TDs to go up 42 and 49 vs CBS. I assume their backup QB and WRs are seniors? Their staff has always been classy.
Watching on the stream. The back ups were in. Guess they’re using that time to develop them.

Sammy - you sound salty … you fancy yourself and your staff as the recruiting kingpins… pick up the phone and schedule a game … frankly, the backups work their asses off too and the coaches try to reasonably give them a shot to make plays too … maybe get some additional film for a backup senior who may wish to play D3

s
Sammy - you sound salty … you fancy yourself and your staff as the recruiting kingpins… pick up the phone and schedule a game … frankly, the backups work their asses off too and the coaches try to reasonably give them a shot to make plays too … maybe get some additional film for a backup senior who may wish to play D3
oh I like to kid but it is funny grown men getting butthurt about comments about HS football. Clowns

Last edited:
Roxy, I give them the benefit of the doubt. I was genuinely curious; not throwing a shot. I figured some of those back ups may be seniors and could use the film for college aspirations.

s

oh I like to kid but it is funny grown men getting butthurt about comments about HS football. Clowns
Apparently you don’t like looking in the mirror … your words, not mine … and now name calling … however, I do agree with choice transfer and choice in general

Reactions: sammyk
If PIAA allows choice transfer that will be the death blow to an already wounded league
One thing I've noticed from a distance is that several of the bigger schools have very few players on their teams. For instance, it looked like Nazareth had fewer than 40 dressed and Lincoln this year and Northeast last year had even smaller numbers. If this is part of a genera trend--happy to be corrected if it isn't--then that helps explain a few things, including the growing appeal of SJP to certain kids who might have been content to play on a strong public school team 10 or 15 years ago but who now perceive a large gap between where SJP's program is / what it offers and where their local program is / what it offers.

What people miss is that lots of guys who play important roles for SJP, e.g. Jack O'Connor (the back-up QB), Ivan Bailey-Green, Drangula, Felder, Kyle, Toolan, McDonald, etc. will probably never play D1 or even D2 football--and maybe not even D3--and who probably could be stars on other teams choose to come to SJP and be part of the program's experience there. O'Connor, for instance, comes from Moorestown NJ which is a wealthy town with a high school with a good academic reputation. There are also at least three Catholic high schools that (Holy Cross< Bishop Eustace, and Camden Catholic). He could probably be a starting QB at almost any other school. But he'd rather be a back-up at SJP, probably resulting in his parents having a big tuition bill.

Kids that live in bucks county and are just high school athletes. They aren't D1 kids recruited to play football.
They’re all children. Every school recruits, some may have restrictions but I bet CBS tries to get kids to attend their school instead of the other CB schools. Most kids don’t come to school d1 prospects.

They’re all children. Every school recruits, some may have restrictions but I bet CBS tries to get kids to attend their school instead of the other CB schools. Most kids don’t come to school d1 prospects.
Cbs can't get kids outside their district. They can't get kids from Leigh or Northampton county let alone other states.

Reactions: Fletchster1
CBS CBE and CBW are all trying to get the same kids. Correct?
No, the district makes you play in your school based on how it’s districted. You can’t go from say a middle school that feeds to South and choose to attend HS at West. That’s a recent change, although there weren’t a lot of families in the past 10 years or so who did that for athletic reasons.

No, the district makes you play in your school based on how it’s districted. You can’t go from say a middle school that feeds to South and choose to attend HS at West. That’s a recent change, although there weren’t a lot of families in the past 10 years or so who did that for athletic reasons.
So would you say that the central bucks teams have a smaller pool to select talent from than a NA district ?

So would you say that the central bucks teams have a smaller pool to select talent from than a NA district ?
Than NA specifically, yes. NA has about 33% more boys in the school than South does, the biggest of the CB high schools. What I don't know is what they lose to private schools, or the demographics of the HS. I don't know South as well as West, but I do know that of South's two best QB prospects coming up, one left for a NJ prep school and the other is starting at Lasalle. (Sidwar would have been in his junior year at South) I'm not a "throw The Prep out" guy, and here's where I think we have even more common ground... I am just as tired as you are (about hearing the complaints about Prep) of hearing the question "what happened to D1?"

Reactions: roxychknpoxy
Than NA specifically, yes. NA has about 33% more boys in the school than South does, the biggest of the CB high schools. What I don't know is what they lose to private schools, or the demographics of the HS. I don't know South as well as West, but I do know that of South's two best QB prospects coming up, one left for a NJ prep school and the other is starting at Lasalle. (Sidwar would have been in his junior year at South) I'm not a "throw The Prep out" guy, and here's where I think we have even more common ground... I am just as tired as you are (about hearing the complaints about Prep) of hearing the question "what happened to D1?"
I believe prep has advantages but I also believe there’s advantages that others fail to discuss bc it doesn’t go with the narrative of big school picking on little school. If everyone wants fairness I believe it should be across the board. I’m fine if prep gets removed, but all boundaries aren’t the same either. So remove prep and make all boundaries the same distance.

I believe prep has advantages but I also believe there’s advantages that others fail to discuss bc it doesn’t go with the narrative of big school picking on little school. If everyone wants fairness I believe it should be across the board. I’m fine if prep gets removed, but all boundaries aren’t the same either. So remove prep and make all boundaries the same distance.
They already do that, just with numbers of students, not distance. (because some distance is farmland and other distance is crowded cities / suburbs). Certainly, once you establish a program like SJP has, there are athletes who self-recruit and just choose to go there to be a part of the program, and it's a big school, 6A by enrollment, so you also get (as people point out on this board) legacy kids who go to the same school as their father, grandfather, cousins, etc... and fill out the roster even if they never rise above scout team. 6A will never produce "equality" because there's obviously no upper limit. In D1, the largest school has almost 1100 more boys than the smallest. And yes, I can confirm that when North Penn was dominant, people regularly complained about the size of their school, that they never split into two schools, and that it was impossible to compete against their enormous talent pool.

Reactions: roxychknpoxy
They already do that, just with numbers of students, not distance. (because some distance is farmland and other distance is crowded cities / suburbs). Certainly, once you establish a program like SJP has, there are athletes who self-recruit and just choose to go there to be a part of the program, and it's a big school, 6A by enrollment, so you also get (as people point out on this board) legacy kids who go to the same school as their father, grandfather, cousins, etc... and fill out the roster even if they never rise above scout team. 6A will never produce "equality" because there's obviously no upper limit. In D1, the largest school has almost 1100 more boys than the smallest. And yes, I can confirm that when North Penn was dominant, people regularly complained about the size of their school, that they never split into two schools, and that it was impossible to compete against their enormous talent pool.
Off topic a bit, but what happened to N Penn football. Beautiful facilities, large student population. At one time they were the program every other school tried to emulate.

Off topic a bit, but what happened to N Penn football. Beautiful facilities, large student population. At one time they were the program every other school tried to emulate.
You’d probably know better than most. It’s called change. The demographics change as industries and jobs move and change. For the most part, these local public schools can’t recruit out of boundaries and get what’s there. Almost all the upper Bucks districts were small rural areas, if you take a drive you’ll see sprawling suburbs and serious infrastructure now that supports industries that were closer to the big cities and even in there 30+ years ago. I suspect NP is going through this like Philly has and the closer city school districts have 20+ years ago. Times change brother, kids have many more options with more going on and frankly once parents are more upper mobile or flat out low income, local football schools become less appealing as a whole. This sets up more recruiting out of these areas for the privates. Also, I see more separation between classes and believe many families see private schools as an advantage so let’s move out to newer suburban neighborhoods and go private or give my kid a chance out of terrible schools. Coach Beck has proven himself to be a great coach, it’s not coaching. HS football success is mostly about the kids given the constraints: time, choice, etc. My thoughts. Yours?

Reactions: MC1975
SOL, overall I don’t think you’re wrong, but they’ve declined more relative to other SOL schools. It was surprising to see them become a .500 or so team over the past few years. I’m not expecting them to win the state championship, but I thought they could/should have been more successful in the SOL. I’m not close enough to the program to pinpoint the issues, but defense has been a consistent thorn in their side for sometime now.

Reactions: solfootballfan
The beautiful facilities are a recent development. Crawford stadium was run down and the football team practiced in a mud pit next to the school. That school, like many in D1 (and probably elsewhere) has had a major demographic shift and also loses players they wouldn’t have in the past. Their roster is much smaller than even 5-6 years ago. That said… 1700 boys!

Reactions: HSFB99 and MC1975
I’d never count out NPenn or frankly some of the other big schools in Bucks. I like where the Ridge is now and expect them to compete for league titles as well.

Central Bucks schools look to be surging, NP is NP and always a threat, Pennridge and Pennsbury look to be serious threats. Neshaminy and Abington look lost but could be turned around given their pasts.

SOL National is back on top of D1, which makes sense as that’s where most of the bodies are.

SOL National is also more brutal to get through where the majority of squads are run heavy. A few have tried to be pass heavy and couldn’t beat the run heavy squads. NP had a tremendous pass O in 22, but was 500, same with Neshaminy the last few years, nothing remotely to past years where they ran first.. Abington looks to be a mess, athletes and size but terribly disorganized and undisciplined.
The beautiful facilities are a recent development. Crawford stadium was run down and the football team practiced in a mud pit next to the school. That school, like many in D1 (and probably elsewhere) has had a major demographic shift and also loses players they wouldn’t have in the past. Their roster is much smaller than even 5-6 years ago. That said… 1700 boys!

Reactions: MC1975
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT