ADVERTISEMENT

SJP-Nazareth

Trying to watch with a critical eye… should Nazareth be in this much man, can they keep running it off tackle against what’s basically a Prep 6-1 front, etc… but the reality is that scheme doesn’t matter when it’s this lopsided talent-wise.

Trying to watch with a critical eye… should Nazareth be in this much man, can they keep running it off tackle against what’s basically a Prep 6-1 front, etc… but the reality is that scheme doesn’t matter when it’s this lopsided talent-wise.
I don’t think they can pass block on the interior. 5’9 230 trying to block Max Roy is a bad time.

I don’t think they can pass block on the interior. 5’9 230 trying to block Max Roy is a bad time.
I agree, I wasn’t clear… I thought their best bet is to run off tackle inside those PREP OLBs who are flying upfield. But then Prep run blitzes and it’s a loss of 3, and that’s that.

SJP had 2& with 4 minutes left in the first quarter. Foot a little more off the gas since, I’m assuming they’ll play their JV team in the second half.

Hey Rover -- make that 59-21 in the fourth.

Actually, that's the final score.

Can CB South come up with something?

Last edited:
That's a shame. And as much as SJP is PIAA and playing by the rules, this is way out of whack. I for one don't believe winning state titles can mean that much to the school given it is typically a cake walk. Ok, a few 16, 17 and 18 year olds go nuts. And I don't believe it can mean that much to alumni either, crushing teams with predictable ease.
End of the day a lot of very, very good high school football teams are not getting recognized for what they are, being overshadowed by what for all practical purposes is an anomaly.

Even though I’m an admitted public school advocate, I’m actually not sold on separating (see NJ). But I can’t help but be intrigued by a final four of NA v Hburg and Naz v CBS at the 6A level.

That's a shame. And as much as SJP is PIAA and playing by the rules, this is way out of whack. I for one don't believe winning state titles can mean that much to the school given it is typically a cake walk. Ok, a few 16, 17 and 18 year olds go nuts. And I don't believe it can mean that much to alumni either, crushing teams with predictable ease.
End of the day a lot of very, very good high school football teams are not getting recognized for what they are, being overshadowed by what for all practical purposes is an anomaly.
Question for anyone who saw the game today and is familiar with Nazareth: was the Nazareth we saw today the same team that beat Parkland last week and that had a very strong regular season? I can't begin to answer the question, but when I heard that SJP blocked two punts in the first half of the first quarter I wondered if Nazareth was psyched out going into the game.

And to begin to answer your question, Stalker, I think lots of alumni (myself included) would like to see more competitive balance within the PCL and within the PIAA playoffs. I can see why some argue that SJP's football team--obviously this doesn't apply to other sports--should not compete in the PIAA playoffs, but I also think the people who want that to happen should go on to ask other questions. Look, for instance, at Ohio. I see that last night Moeller lost to a public high school team, and St. Edward lost to one public team (Washington) earlier in the year and beat another (Elder) by one point. Remember also that SJP was losing to Lakeland (which is not having one of their best years) in the 3rd quarter back in September.

I use to feel the same but it’ll blow over. Meaning if they leave and remain in the area would we always have the question of what if? They’ll leave and every champion after that would lose credibility. That Lebo team will be remembered for quite some time. Maybe I’m wrong idk. When my sons went to Roman and was being recruited the coaches only wanted to know what they did against sjp.

They will mercy rule everyone through the playoffs including the title game and they will be just as strong next year if not better with what they have returning. They also had 2 four star jr transfers one from Roman another from NJ. I don't know how people on the board defend this. No one wants to see it. Not fare to the kids either. We don't have this issue on the western part of the state. We don't have a sjp and a Imhotep. Even our private schools have down years and rebuilding years unlike prep.

It’s not just football. Watch what a joke Faith Christian Academy, Bishop McCort and Bethlehem Catholic will make of the wrestling tournament in the winter - Bethlehem Catholic has fit 15 years now, McCort and FCA just snapped their fingers and became top 20 teams in America. Boys and girls hoops are well documented.

The issue for Nazareth on the punts was their special teams are guys who are not necessarily starters on one of the smallest teams in 6A going against the bevy of underclassmen athletes SJP has. You saw blips of the Nazareth in the season with the long touchdown to Kuehner, the first TD drive had a couple nice plays strung together.

But the major difference in the game was Nazareth had a perfectly normal offensive line - a tackle who will play low major football, one kid who might play D2, and three high school kids who are well coached, trying to block the SJP front seven whose fifth best guy is the best defensive lineman/linebacker at any school in district 1 or district 11

Reactions: Aragorn
Question for anyone who saw the game today and is familiar with Nazareth: was the Nazareth we saw today the same team that beat Parkland last week and that had a very strong regular season? I can't begin to answer the question, but when I heard that SJP blocked two punts in the first half of the first quarter I wondered if Nazareth was psyched out going into the game.

And to begin to answer your question, Stalker, I think lots of alumni (myself included) would like to see more competitive balance within the PCL and within the PIAA playoffs. I can see why some argue that SJP's football team--obviously this doesn't apply to other sports--should not compete in the PIAA playoffs, but I also think the people who want that to happen should go on to ask other questions. Look, for instance, at Ohio. I see that last night Moeller lost to a public high school team, and St. Edward lost to one public team (Washington) earlier in the year and beat another (Elder) by one point. Remember also that SJP was losing to Lakeland (which is not having one of their best years) in the 3rd quarter back in September.
Also, Elder isn’t public, that’s a Catholic school in Cincy. And Massolin Washington is one of the legendary high school programs of all time - it’s where Paul Brown coached - and they get a massive amount of transfers in year to year.

Reactions: Stalker
Also, Elder isn’t public, that’s a Catholic school in Cincy. And Massolin Washington is one of the legendary high school programs of all time - it’s where Paul Brown coached - and they get a massive amount of transfers in year to year.
Thanks for the correction. I think the larger point is that the disparity between Catholic schools and public schools in Ohio isn't so great if St. Edward's in the north loses to a public school and Moeller in the south also loses to a public school. My question about PA is whether for football the public / private issue would still be a major one if SJP were not in the picture.

I mean, in Ohio you’re going to see Division I, II, III, and IV probably won by Catholic schools, unless Glenville (Cleveland’s Imhotep) wins DIV.

Catholic schools have won 39/50 D1 championships, 28/42 in D2, 31/50 in d3, 19/42 in D4, 23/50in D5, 8/29 in d6, and 0/11 in d7. Still pretty dominant in thr classifications that have private schools in them.

The one issue fir SJP today was McCord throwing two massive interceptions and adding pressure that Ohio State finds a quarterback in the portal. Day hand picking McCord over McCarthy is looking like a program defining recruiting mistake that could cost Day his job.
It’s not an issue for SJP, it’s an issue for OSU and an interesting angle that you’ve taken under the subject topic. Quite intriguing actually. Never considered football a one man game. I would suggest that Michigans line play was superior and it was obviously a home game for them. The game ending pick was also a result of his arm being bumped under pressure. Just a real interesting take here that a blowout game turns in to isolating a former player as a mistake. Not sure McCarthy fairs better if the roles were reversed. But again, interesting direction for a comment.

Reactions: paul from philly
I mean, in Ohio you’re going to see Division I, II, III, and IV probably won by Catholic schools, unless Glenville (Cleveland’s Imhotep) wins DIV.

Catholic schools have won 39/50 D1 championships, 28/42 in D2, 31/50 in d3, 19/42 in D4, 23/50in D5, 8/29 in d6, and 0/11 in d7. Still pretty dominant in thr classifications that have private schools in them.
Interesting numbers, but I doubt it's simply a matter of some schools having boundaries and others not having them. Are there rules around coaching--who gets to coach where and under what conditions--that make a difference? Does having to make a financial contribution--in many cases a significant one--constitute or reflect a particular kind of commitment or investment that families make? Certainly the fact that across the country Catholic schools are very over-represented in the lists of best football teams raises lots of questions that don't have a single answer.

I'm somewhat familiar with the situation in Jersey. Do people who want separate classifications for "non-public" schools in PA regard the Jersey situation as ideal?

Reactions: paul from philly
Down six with the ball on the road in the Big House with a chance to win one of the biggest editions of the greatest rivalry in college football, Ohio State quarterback Kyle McCord had his offense moving. A few big passes to Marvin Harrison Jr. and Julian Fleming got the Buckeyes into Michigan territory with a chance to take the rivalry back in dramatic fashion. Every second ticking off the clock felt like a minute.

In those stomach-turning moments, one question was about to be answered: Did Ryan Day make the correct decision when he hand-picked his quarterback in one of his first moves as Ohio State’s coach?

Day has unequivocally been as good as or better than anyone else in the sport at picking and developing a quarterback. If there is one thing Ohio State is going to have on its team, it’s a future first-round NFL Draft pick running the offense.

Then McCord threw an interception. Michigan 30, Ohio State 24. Final.

The second Michigan defensive back Rod Moorehauled in the interception to seal the game, my brain took me back to Chicago in May 2019.

That’s when I visited J.J. McCarthy as a recruit after he had committed to Michigan. I met a blond kid — who still looked like a child — with a golden smile and enough confidence to look me square in the eye and say that Michigan would be a different place by the time he left.

Why?

Because he hated Ohio State after what Day and his staff did to him.

McCarthy grew up loving Ohio State and went to Columbus on visits as a recruit. But he felt as though Ohio State lied to him during the recruiting process after Day decided he preferred McCord.

“I get it’s a business,” McCarthy said back in his high school coach’s office over four years ago. “But it always sucks being lied to. And that’s kind of where the rivalry started for me, and the hatred. But what are you going to do? It’s a business and they have to do what they have to do. They lied to my face, but it’s all good now.”

Imagine how he feels now.

Michigan has won three games in a row against Ohio State, including the last two with McCarthy as the starter. He committed to Michigan during a time in which it was downright impossible to even fathom three straight Wolverines wins in this rivalry. He, like so many others in this series, has been fueled by hatred and disgust toward his enemy.

McCarthy was just a teenage boy at the time. He was joking about waiting for hair to grow under his armpits. Then he firmly and confidently expressed how he felt about Day.

These are the decisions in recruiting — in stories written in the month of May — a coach has to get right. It seems like a back-burner issue at the moment, but time and change surely, eventually, show.

McCarthy is a man now. He’s a future NFL Draft pick. He’s a winner.

Day? He has to come to terms with the notion he might have lost to Michigan for the third consecutive time because he was wrong in a decision he has been right in time and time again as the Buckeyes coach.

McCord’s story as Ohio State’s quarterback hasn’t been fully written. He led a game-winning drive on the road against Notre Dame earlier in the year and seemed ready to do it again on the biggest possible stage. But instead of being great, he threw a game-ending interception.

Maybe he’ll be the quarterback at Ohio State next year. Maybe he’ll get a win over Michigan next November. Or maybe Day will feel the need to go into the transfer portal and fix the evaluation error he made.

McCord wasn’t terrible in this game. But he threw a mind-numbing interception in the first quarter that led to a Michigan touchdown and threw a tough interception in the fourth quarter that ended the game. In between, there were flashes of excellence and flashes of times when it felt like the Buckeyes couldn’t complete a pass. With Harrison on your team, that can’t happen.

Day looked to be in pure anguish as the final seconds ticked off the clock. I cannot fathom what he felt at that moment. But when you sign up to be Ohio State’s coach, you do so with the understanding that you’re judged solely by how things go in this game.

Things have been going terribly.

You can rip him apart for playing for a 52-yard field goal before the half or for calling a more conservative game than he would have if the opponent were Maryland or Minnesota. You can also get on him for hiring a $2 million coordinator who assembled a great defense statistically all year but got mowed over in the game’s final minutes when a stop mattered the most.

What Ohio State fans probably didn’t envision was being upset with Day because of quarterback play and/or recruiting. That has been his saving grace.

McCarthy isn’t Patrick Mahomes. It’s not like he’s the greatest quarterback who has ever lived. But he went 16-for-20 for 148 yards and had a beautifully placed touchdown pass between two defenders in the second quarter.

Pick him apart all you want — and some of it is warranted — but he won the football game.

This final quote from McCarthy from that May day in 2019 still stands out to me.

“I used to love them,” he said of Ohio State. “Now I want to kill them.”

You did, J.J.
Very overblown. McCarthy "hated" OSU because of what the program did to him? Did they kidnap him? Torture his parents?

Roxy's point stands. What's the point of this on this thread?

Why? It’s not that deep.

On topic here - D11 drops to 2-12 in big school quarterfinals since the PCL joined the PIAA. For comparison sake, D1 is 2-13 (two losses to D11 and 11 to PCL teams) in semifinals in the same time period.

There was a stretch where D11-D12 played a bunch of very good games that got decided in the 4th quarter. Both Easton-LaSalle’s in 09/10, Nazareth-LaSalle in 11 Parkland-SJP and Parkland-LaSalle in 14/15 - all down to the wire high school games between pretty evenly matched teams. But since 15, the amount that SJP has separated is staggering. There are years I’ve thought the D11 team just isn’t very good - 17, 18, and 22 come to mind. But I think this Nazareth team compared pretty favorably to some of the teams in the 08-15 group, and they had given up 45 points by halftime. Am I just wrong and the quality of football from the best teams up here is just way worse? Or has SJP’s quality just fundamentally changed. I think it’s the latter, but I don’t know if that’s just sour grapes. Every year I tell myself I’m going to stop following statewide football because it’s a waste of time, partly because my alma mater has become a joke, but also because it’s just kind of predictable and less fun than it was even five years ago. And I definitely follow (and post) less and less, but I haven’t been able to quit it just yet. But if high school football is losing people like me, who have loved and been fascinated by it since I was in elementary school (a LONG time ago now), that’s probably a giant red flag for the game as a whole.

Part of the reason D11 does so well in wrestling is the insanity of transfers - Kinney for Nazareth today is a transfer from East Stroudsburg South before his freshman year - and maybe coaches who are more aggressive about that on the football side are what it’s going to take? Emmaus had two Division I offensive linemen, if D11 is going to be competitive, should they just be “moving” down the road to Parkland and the best teams should be sucking the the other schools dry? Again, on the wrestling side this had been a big reason why Northampton, Nazareth, and Easton were competing to be the best teams in America for a long time, against the Blair and St. Ed’s of the world. Maybe it’s time to get way more cutthroat about going after guys and trying to make sure that talent gets concentrated better at a couple schools. It takes a coach or two who can make that happen at a big school. But until that happens, it’s just not worth paying attention after thanksgiving. Hell, maybe it’s time to start bringing some of those rivalry games back as a culminating event.

I don’t want to see you delete a post ever again. Stand your ground
You sound like a boxing manager yelling at his fighter between rounds: "stand your ground"!!!

But we're not in a boxing match. I thought Rover's decision was a very sensible one and I appreciate it. This is a PA high school football board. If you want to make an extended comment about OSU-UM, there are plenty of other places to do that.

Why? It’s not that deep.

On topic here - D11 drops to 2-12 in big school quarterfinals since the PCL joined the PIAA. For comparison sake, D1 is 2-13 (two losses to D11 and 11 to PCL teams) in semifinals in the same time period.

There was a stretch where D11-D12 played a bunch of very good games that got decided in the 4th quarter. Both Easton-LaSalle’s in 09/10, Nazareth-LaSalle in 11 Parkland-SJP and Parkland-LaSalle in 14/15 - all down to the wire high school games between pretty evenly matched teams. But since 15, the amount that SJP has separated is staggering. There are years I’ve thought the D11 team just isn’t very good - 17, 18, and 22 come to mind. But I think this Nazareth team compared pretty favorably to some of the teams in the 08-15 group, and they had given up 45 points by halftime. Am I just wrong and the quality of football from the best teams up here is just way worse? Or has SJP’s quality just fundamentally changed. I think it’s the latter, but I don’t know if that’s just sour grapes. Every year I tell myself I’m going to stop following statewide football because it’s a waste of time, partly because my alma mater has become a joke, but also because it’s just kind of predictable and less fun than it was even five years ago. And I definitely follow (and post) less and less, but I haven’t been able to quit it just yet. But if high school football is losing people like me, who have loved and been fascinated by it since I was in elementary school (a LONG time ago now), that’s probably a giant red flag for the game as a whole.

Part of the reason D11 does so well in wrestling is the insanity of transfers - Kinney for Nazareth today is a transfer from East Stroudsburg South before his freshman year - and maybe coaches who are more aggressive about that on the football side are what it’s going to take? Emmaus had two Division I offensive linemen, if D11 is going to be competitive, should they just be “moving” down the road to Parkland and the best teams should be sucking the the other schools dry? Again, on the wrestling side this had been a big reason why Northampton, Nazareth, and Easton were competing to be the best teams in America for a long time, against the Blair and St. Ed’s of the world. Maybe it’s time to get way more cutthroat about going after guys and trying to make sure that talent gets concentrated better at a couple schools. It takes a coach or two who can make that happen at a big school. But until that happens, it’s just not worth paying attention after thanksgiving. Hell, maybe it’s time to start bringing some of those rivalry games back as a culminating event.
Rover,

I understand where you're coming from. You know D11 football inside out, and I know very little about it, but my impression is that there's been some drop off, at least at the big school level, from 8-14 years ago.

Has SJP gone onto a different level? Probably, but it's really hard to tell since some of the teams they play year in and year out (LaSalle, Judge, and Wood) have fallen off some.

I agree that lots of blowouts are not what we want. I don't like to see any high school kid end his football days by playing the whole second half with a running clock going against him. What I'm convinced we can't do is return entirely to the ways things were when we were young. The changes to the college game, especially those that relate to recruiting, social media, the influence of ESPN, etc, are all impacting hs football.

Reactions: Bighead75
Rover -

Well put (as all your posts are).

What struck me is YOU saying your interest in PA schoolboy ball may be waning -- that ain't good.

I was for the PCL coming in but now ... not so much.

Rover,

I understand where you're coming from. You know D11 football inside out, and I know very little about it, but my impression is that there's been some drop off, at least at the big school level, from 8-14 years ago.

Has SJP gone onto a different level? Probably, but it's really hard to tell since some of the teams they play year in and year out (LaSalle, Judge, and Wood) have fallen off some.

I agree that lots of blowouts are not what we want. I don't like to see any high school kid end his football days by playing the whole second half with a running clock going against him. What I'm convinced we can't do is return entirely to the ways things were when we were young. The changes to the college game, especially those that relate to recruiting, social media, the influence of ESPN, etc, are all impacting hs football.
They did play img to a 17-14 game. IMG!! Who they are saying this year's img team might be there best and they get the top recruits around the entire country. I feel like the gap will continue to grow.

Certainly the fact that across the country Catholic schools are very over-represented in the lists of best football teams raises lots of questions that don't have a single answer.
Non-boundary schools being over-represented might not have a single reason, but having control of the makeup of the roster is the #1 reason.

Again just allow choice transfer in PA. Let kids in bucks county go where they want to. Let kids in Allegheny county go where they want to let kids in Dauphin county go where they want to then things might even out. Load up Harrisburg or CB South or North Allegheny or parkland then play St joes. Until this happens St joes will continue to roll and people will continue to complain . Come on PIAA even it up

Reactions: lilromeo
Again just choice transfer in PA. Let kids in bucks county go where they want to. Let kids in Allegheny county go where they want to let kids in Dauphin county go where they want to then things might even out.
If sjp/Roman had imhotep kids instead of jersey kids there would still be issues for some.

If sjp/Roman had imhotep kids instead of jersey kids there would still be issues for some.
Perhaps but that’s already happening do a degree. I say just open it up if I was a taxpayer in say Bucks county and I lived in CB East district and I wanted my kid to go to CB west I should be able to sent my kid there. But also it’s only football but allow kids to go where they want that’s what is happening at st joes kids are going where they want. Allow the public schools to do that

Perhaps but that’s already happening do a degree. I say just open it up if I was a taxpayer in say Bucks county and I lived in CB East district and I wanted my kid to go to CB west I should be able to sent my kid there. But also it’s only football but allow kids to go where they want that’s what is happening at st joes kids are going where they want. Allow the public schools to do that
I agree with opening the boundaries I just don’t think it’ll change much.

I agree with opening the boundaries I just don’t think it’ll change much.
Really. I do. It would help a lot. Also this would shut down the “charter school BS”. Now you give parents a choice of real public schools the charters would go belly up

Reactions: roxychknpoxy
Sammy is right -- he should be the Commissioner of PA Schoolboy Football (and Stalk should be The King and Rover the head of the Church of Pennsylvania Football -- that would fix things).

All kidding aside I might add I have been on the "go where you want" bandwagon for some time. I mean realistically this has been going on -- just quietly and not at a level that gets too much attention in the East (take my word for it -- I know of a few examples).

PS Those are well paying jobs -- nobody is doing this for free.

Last edited:
Reactions: sammyk
You guys are are all so funny- the idea of "open transfers" is never gonna happen

SJP is just different from 99% of all PA schools, and that is not gonna change

Also, we can agree besides open boundaries sjp have something in football besides having talent. I think that’s completely over looked. No way they stay in that IMG game if it’s on talent alone bc they didn’t win that category.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT