ADVERTISEMENT

Score predictions NP/Prep?

coverandmove1

Dec 4, 2015
Final score predictions for this one just for fun! Closest to score or nails it buys for everyone. I'm going 31-30 NP.

Reactions: green_beans
Final score predictions for this one just for fun! Closest to score or nails it buys for everyone. I'm going 31-30 NP.

...I have been wrong with everyone one my NP predictions this season... going 0-3 for the first 3 games and not much better for the playoffs..(except for the first game)...... so I am sticking with my contrarian, reverse jinx, beaten down Eagles fan approach hoping to be wrong once again .. Prep-30-27

Last edited:
This could be one of the biggest crowds attending a HS game in many years. I would be surprised if Northeast isn't overflowing . This should be a classic. USA today Nationally ranked teams Prep/North Penn. IMO either team will give PCC, who I think will take West a real test.

Prep 42-20. Beck is currently 0-2 against Infante and that was against Infante's worst 2 teams. This maybe one of Beck's best teams, but everybody is asking, can North Penn's skill match St. Joes. The answer i

Coaching advantage Prep
Qb advantage North Penn
Rb advantage Prep
Wr Even
Offensive Line advantage Prep
Defensive Line advantage Prep
Lbs (if Johnson is healthy)Prep
Secondary (Swift will play) maybe even
Specials Advantage Prep.
Even if we lean the evens toward North Penn, St. Joes has more advantages. No there are turnovers, injuries that we can't take account for right now but that is the only way North Penn can win this game. Force turnovers. The wind also tends to be a factor when playing at Northeast. So again, advantage Prep. After saying all of this, I'm hoping for a classic. PIAA public could really use a great game from North Penn tomorrow.

I see a high scoring game if swift gets 20 touches prep wins 45-28.
if not NP with a late field goal 31-28.

If the game is even remotely close Swift will get 20 touches. They will hand it to him, throw it to him, let him return punts and kicks and I'm sure there is a trick play or two in the gameplan that involves #7.

It seems the vast majority of us expect a shootout so it'll probably end up 14-13, but if the closest to correct is buying then I predict 87-75. Beck has done a brilliant job this year going all the way back to the summer and adjusting his offense to suit the players he has. This may be the fastest NP team he has ever had. He also comes into this game as a slight underdog and, therefore, has nothing to lose. Everything but the kitchen sink! That said, I still see SJP winning (in a shootout) 42-31, as long as they don't hurt themselves.

Prep wins 42-21. Lots of yards for NP, not enough TDs to match. Turnovers are the killer for NP. Score doesn't reflect the entertaining game or effort by NP.

Funny thing about the Prep. From observations from a number of people, they take too many penalties and turnovers are a problem with the shotgun snaps. But they always seem to post a whole bunch of points even with those problems. According to these reports, I'd love to see how many points they'd score with a clean game!!

Reactions: roxychknpoxy
I was at the NP LaSalle game couple of years ago at PW and it was one of, if not the best HS football games I've witnessed. It was without a doubt the hardest hitting game I've seen.
I am hoping to see the same tomorrow with NP and SJP.
NP's strength offensively (pass) matches up well with SJP's defensive weakness, pass defense. SJP is giving up 168 yards per game through the air.
SJP defense allows less than 100 yards rushing per game. I expect NP to try and attack SJP on the ground a little more than most think, keeping the clock moving. NP DOESNT want to get into a shoot out with this team.
SJP has a very balanced attack that scores and scores FAST. They can kill you through the air or on the ground. I fully expect SJP to own the line of scrimmage upfront on both sides of the ball tomorrow. With Swift being the biggest name in this game tomorrow don't take anything away from the other skill guys on the Prep. Those kids are all GREAT HS football players especially Greene and McCray.

SJP Wins if: 1.They don't get too cute offensively get the ball to #7 early and often. 2. Get consistent pressure on Udinski forcing him to throw the ball earlier than he'd like. 3. Ditch the fake punts with Richard Carr.
NP Wins If: 1. They get points from other areas of the team outside of offense. Punt block, pick 6, fumble recovery etc. 2. Contain swift(good luck!)
3. run the ball effectively 4. Control time of possession. 5. LOTS of YAC.

With all of that being said, I'm going to go with SJP 45 NP 27.

Beck is predictable and does not have a very good track record in the big games, does not adjust well at halftime. This year he changed his offensive philosophy which surprised me.I tip my hat to him for playing to his strengths. They are loaded with talent but IMO compared this is a down year in the SOL and really the whole state. GV put up 38, Coatesville put up 25 with a freshman QB. SJP has a huge line that is very well coached and are a tough, good group. They have the best back in the state and an athletic QB.... Prep 48-20.

Last edited:
Reactions: pcc64
Btm2070 just gave me a tongue lashing through text so I stand corrected. Infante's first year at the Prep he was beaten soundly by Beck. The end of the Brooks/beginning of Infante regime was starting to run together in my mind as both were about the same.

I'm picking NP by 7. I think NP has the weapons on O to do this but of course Prep will have a say in the matter. either way looking forward to a great game. Anyone know if both teams are healthy ?

Beans - Agree. Thomas is very good on both sides of the ball, faster than most think. I like 55, he has a high motor and gets to the ball with an attitude. I think Talley for SJP went down against Parkland. Both teams have kids dinged up, its week 15. No excuses.... play on.

Reactions: lilromeo
Beans - Agree. Thomas is very good on both sides of the ball, faster than most think. I like 55, he has a high motor and gets to the ball with an attitude. I think Talley for SJP went down against Parkland. Both teams have kids dinged up, its week 15. No excuses.... play on.
If Talley is out--as I expect he will be--that will certainly be a loss for SJP, especially against an offense like NP's. But SJP's biggest loss continues to be Waller. Look at his numbers against Oaks Christian when swift was healthy and against Wood when Swift hardly played. He was huge in each game. But I agree, every team still playing has key injuries, and there's no point in saying or thinking "if only ..."

Just wondering about the chance that at some point NP's kicker is the only person between Swift and the goal line.

Reactions: Soup13
42-38 SJP.

Here's my best guesstimate on all the games.....
*St. Joseph’s Prep over North Penn based pretty much on Hawk’s O-Line, weapons all over the field

*Pitt CC over Wilson but not if they let Bulldogs hang around

*Imhotep over Bethlehem Catholic per Beca’s inconsistencies and ICS’s team speed

*Cathedral over Berks Catholic with a few more weapons and a lot more playoff experience

*Beaver Falls over Martinsburg Central per massive O-Line but Central will battle

*Middletown over Notre Dame with bruising ground game

*Southern Columbia over Ligonier Valley in a tight one

*Steel Valley over Wilmington something like Clairton….just too much talent and speed.

*Clairton over Farrell even if Wade at QB again with more weapons and speed

*BS Guilfoyle over Steelton Highspire a painful call loving the Rollers but Marauders are LOADED even with injuries

I think this game comes down to Preps secondary. If they can shut down the pass and the line puts pressure on the QB, it could be a long night for NP.

You do not need to look too far back to find a game that North Penn hopes they can emulate. 2011 laSalle beat North Penn pretty handily in the first game. North Penn continued to get better all year. Most favored LaSalle by a few touchdowns in the semi game. North Penn had a good game plan and put the clamps on the LaSalle offense. If North Penn can keep SJP under 24 points, they can certainly score enough to steal this one.

You do not need to look too far back to find a game that North Penn hopes they can emulate. 2011 laSalle beat North Penn pretty handily in the first game. North Penn continued to get better all year. Most favored LaSalle by a few touchdowns in the semi game. North Penn had a good game plan and put the clamps on the LaSalle offense. If North Penn can keep SJP under 24 points, they can certainly score enough to steal this one.

SJP80 - I'm not sure if you remember Coleman? LS best player was on one leg and a shell of himself that game (due to injury was not predicted to even play) that was the huge difference in LS typically potent offense.NP had the ball 2 times on the goal line and came up empty but punched one in late,eventually hung on for the W as LS was driving late with a pick that hit the ground by Aikins. NP had much more size to compliment their speed at the skilled positions. QB Ernst was very good much like Udinski but was used much more often in the run game. I just don't see them slowing SJP run game down. But that's why they play the games...

Prep 42-20. Beck is currently 0-2 against Infante and that was against Infante's worst 2 teams. This maybe one of Beck's best teams, but everybody is asking, can North Penn's skill match St. Joes. The answer i

Coaching advantage Prep
Qb advantage North Penn
Rb advantage Prep
Wr Even
Specials Advantage Prep.
Even if we lean the evens toward North Penn, St. Joes has more advantages. No there are turnovers, injuries that we can't take account for right now but that is the only way North Penn can win this game. Force turnovers. The wind also tends to be a factor when playing at Northeast. So again, advantage Prep. After saying all of this, I'm hoping for a classic. PIAA public could really use a great game from North Penn tomorrow.

Coaching advantage Prep
Qb advantage North Penn
Rb advantage Prep
Wr Even
Specials Advantage Prep.

Agree with all of your analysis except one, SJP does not have a coaching advantage. Beck has had a sterling career at NP, he takes a back seat to noone at this point. He learned from the greatest coach in the history of Pennsylvania high school history and has been In a ton of big games. If you want to call it even that's your prerogative but it's not a disadvantage for NP.

JHoops,
Beck is an outstanding coach. He took the torch and was able to take the program to an even higher level. North Penn has had a great season and Coach Beck and his staff deserve a lot of credit especially for reshaping the offense. Coach Beck and his staff would be favored in most of if not all of the games they play in Southeastern PA. However, this is the one case in point for three reasons.

1) This one may be the most important. It's not always the X's and O's, sometimes it comes down to the Jimmy's and the Joe's. Hoops, you agreed with all the other assessments I made in the previous blog which means we both concur that St. Joe's has more Jimmy's and Joe's.

2) Coaching Staff. St. Joe's coaching staff is loaded with talent. In essence they have 3 defensive coordinators and 2 offensive coordinators that have their units practice like a college program. Both play books are extremely extensive but are utilized throughout the game especially during halftime adjustments. There are times when St. Joe's will hold onto a look or coverage till the second half just so you can't adjust.
North Penn altered their offense over the past year or so in order to fit its talent. That is great coaching. The passing offense reminds me of a LaSalle team under Gordon in which they attack one side of the field based on what shell you are showing pre snap. St. Joe's will do something today that I'm not so sure Udinski has seen this year. They will show different shells pre snap and then move into something else. They will also show a blitz in one direction and have your protection block that way and then bring the blitz from the opposite direction.
3) In game, North Penn runs whatever is called defensively. St. Joe's as alluded to in point 2, is cat and mouse. When North Penn offensively checks at the line of scrimmage, St. Joe's will switch their defensive call most likely. When St. Joe's goes to a freeze call and changes the play at the line of scrimmage, North Penn will atypically stay with the play call. Unless North Penn is "dummying" their coverages and blitzes, this could lead to disaster.

I know this is a lot of information provided. Most of you probably see it as jarble. However, these are the 3 reasons based on what I know will lead to a St. Joe's win later this evening. However, as forementioned, turnovers and injuries could change everything. That is why they play the game. Let's hope we get a classic!

JHoops,
Beck is an outstanding coach. He took the torch and was able to take the program to an even higher level. North Penn has had a great season and Coach Beck and his staff deserve a lot of credit especially for reshaping the offense. Coach Beck and his staff would be favored in most of if not all of the games they play in Southeastern PA. However, this is the one case in point for three reasons.

1) This one may be the most important. It's not always the X's and O's, sometimes it comes down to the Jimmy's and the Joe's. Hoops, you agreed with all the other assessments I made in the previous blog which means we both concur that St. Joe's has more Jimmy's and Joe's.

2) Coaching Staff. St. Joe's coaching staff is loaded with talent. In essence they have 3 defensive coordinators and 2 offensive coordinators that have their units practice like a college program. Both play books are extremely extensive but are utilized throughout the game especially during halftime adjustments. There are times when St. Joe's will hold onto a look or coverage till the second half just so you can't adjust.
North Penn altered their offense over the past year or so in order to fit its talent. That is great coaching. The passing offense reminds me of a LaSalle team under Gordon in which they attack one side of the field based on what shell you are showing pre snap. St. Joe's will do something today that I'm not so sure Udinski has seen this year. They will show different shells pre snap and then move into something else. They will also show a blitz in one direction and have your protection block that way and then bring the blitz from the opposite direction.
3) In game, North Penn runs whatever is called defensively. St. Joe's as alluded to in point 2, is cat and mouse. When North Penn offensively checks at the line of scrimmage, St. Joe's will switch their defensive call most likely. When St. Joe's goes to a freeze call and changes the play at the line of scrimmage, North Penn will atypically stay with the play call. Unless North Penn is "dummying" their coverages and blitzes, this could lead to disaster.

I know this is a lot of information provided. Most of you probably see it as jarble. However, these are the 3 reasons based on what I know will lead to a St. Joe's win later this evening. However, as forementioned, turnovers and injuries could change everything. That is why they play the game. Let's hope we get a classic!

IADelco,

Very well stated, appreciate the insight, puts me in the mood for the game.
Totally agree, a lot comes down to the Jimmies & Joes and I think The Prep has more of them, especially on the line and at linebacker.
I think a lot of people assume that if a team wins that automatically the losing team's coach was "out-coached" without considering the reasons that you stated. These are two great coaches, unless someone calls a backward pass on 4th and 2 (channeling Doug Peterson), both teams will be run at their optimum at this point.

Enjoy the game, should be fun, love the discussion.

The more I think of this game, the more I think McCray's play will be key. Because of his offensive line and the quality of his receivers, he'll have open receivers, and because of Swift and he'll have opportunities to run. If he makes good choices and takes care of the ball it's hard to see the Prep not winning by two touchdowns or more.

About to get on the NE Extension at Clarks Summit and hoping for a decent parking space near Northeast.

Safe travels, agreed. Wind kicking up. Is McCray accurate or not. So many things that could turn this game. Does np go down early, how do they respond. Can udinski get time. Turnovers, wow. Packing my cooler know and heading out the door. Good luck to all players, coaches and teams.

Reactions: lilromeo and Soup13
Safe travels, agreed. Wind kicking up. Is McCray accurate or not. So many things that could turn this game. Does np go down early, how do they respond. Can udinski get time. Turnovers, wow. Packing my cooler know and heading out the door. Good luck to all players, coaches and teams.

Cover - I think we bumped shoulders at a Temple game, not sure? McCray is a Lansdale kid who came up in NP midget program right? If he can keep his emotions in check I see a long day for NP. Beck is very, very good in the SOL and has had Coatesville's number but he struggles against PCL. Why? Wood, LS and SJP have tremendous staffs from A-Z. Beck does not let his assistants get into the picture and his ego will get in the way. FACT! Enjoy and hope for a close game but do not see it at all. Long day for NP...

Last edited:
The 2 cents assessment
1) wind will play a role in the contest, it will move north to south and you're either hard into it or it's hard behind you. Balls will duck and sail on the pass. Could favor NPs short pass game.
2) line play will ultimately decide the outcome. While Prep line is big, getting leverage can be a problem with size. If NP OL can generate position, could be the difference.
3) special teams & turnovers - had to address the obvious
4) lastly, against the majority thoughts, it could be on the lower end of scoring with final possession having a major impact.

Good health and good football.

Reactions: lilromeo and Soup13
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT