ADVERTISEMENT

North Allegheny VS Saint Joseph’s Preparatory School (STATE CHAMPIONSHIP)

northalleghenytiger

Aug 22, 2022
HUGE WIN for my tigers over Harrisburg. Never really a doubt in this one. I see that PREP won 49-0 over CBS. Not really a shocker there. Last year I predicted that NA would beat SJP in the final, and I got laughed at. Turns out I was a year early….

Prediction:31-24 NA victory

HUGE WIN for my tigers over Harrisburg. Never really a doubt in this one. I see that PREP won 49-0 over CBS. Not really a shocker there. Last year I predicted that NA would beat SJP in the final, and I got laughed at. Turns out I was a year early….

Prediction:31-24 NA victory
NA has a nice team but they will get mercy ruled next week.

Reactions: solfootballfan
The drastic difference is talent. NA is talented. SJP is a level up.

SJP 31-7.

The wpial is the one that has knocked off the university of sjp but I think the games over by the half. The eastern all stars will be even better next year with what they have coming back and plus they had two junior rivals 200 transfers this year. I'll be pulling for NA. They do have a duel threat QB, a great defense and their strength is their D line. I think that's what it would take to knock off the Philly NJ Delaware and where ever else all star team. Unfortunately I think the talent level is to great. NAs has about 4 maybe 5 D1 guys (best is a Marshal commit) where they are playing a team with D1 guys on both sides of the ball that dont play both ways. Even if NA can keep it close early the eastern all star team will wear them down. I'm going eastern all star team 49-21.

Reactions: d1football1
im gonna say not mercy, Na scores late to make it closer, SJP win 38-24

some years, maybe Aliquippa might be the "best from the west." Last year, Pine Richland, imo, was our "best from the west." This yr, clearly, NA is the best team, overall from WPIAL, and to me, that's impressive. If SJP mercy rules them? Then wow

Reactions: new2pa
The wpial is the one that has knocked off the university of sjp but I think the games over by the half. The eastern all stars will be even better next year with what they have coming back and plus they had two junior rivals 200 transfers this year. I'll be pulling for NA. They do have a duel threat QB, a great defense and their strength is their D line. I think that's what it would take to knock off the Philly NJ Delaware and where ever else all star team. Unfortunately I think the talent level is to great. NAs has about 4 maybe 5 D1 guys (best is a Marshal commit) where they are playing a team with D1 guys on both sides of the ball that dont play both ways. Even if NA can keep it close early the eastern all star team will wear them down. I'm going eastern all star team 49-21.

Who are all the D1 guys?

I love high school football, but I have zero interest in watching the 6A slaughterfest next week.

some years, maybe Aliquippa might be the "best from the west." Last year, Pine Richland, imo, was our "best from the west." This yr, clearly, NA is the best team, overall from WPIAL, and to me, that's impressive. If SJP mercy rules them? Then wow
Aliquippa was never the best team in the west

I predict SJP wins by mercy rule

look obviously SJP has major advantages, but I have a major problem with Art Walker Jr saying this when he has benefited from transfers and unfair advantages as much as anybody

Khiryn Boyd is from California, Tyree Alualu is from Hawaii and both are D1 prospects that played major roles in their last two titles

they only play for NA because they are related to former Steelers that live in the NA district

and lets not forget 20 years ago Walker was at Central Catholic and won 2 wpial titles and one state title with kids from all over the Pittsburgh area, and a little more than a decade ago he won his 3 titles at NA with his star players being sons of Pitt and Steeler coaches from out of state

Walker needs to keep his mouth shut on this subject

look obviously SJP has major advantages, but I have a major problem with Art Walker Jr saying this when he has benefited from transfers and unfair advantages as much as anybody

Khiryn Boyd is from California, Tyree Alualu is from Hawaii and both are D1 prospects that played major roles in their last two titles

they only play for NA because they are related to former Steelers that live in the NA district

and lets not forget 20 years ago Walker was at Central Catholic and won 2 wpial titles and one state title with kids from all over the Pittsburgh area, and a little more than a decade ago he won his 3 titles at NA with his star players being sons of Pitt and Steeler coaches from out of state

Maybe Art Walker is trying to atone for his “mickey mouse” fake rings he won at central, but he keeps getting transfers and can’t prove himself

I will say if NA wins this game, Art Walker instantly becomes the greatest wpial coach ever

They moved to Pittsburgh in middle school.

Maybe Art Walker is trying to atone for his “mickey mouse” fake rings he won at central, but he keeps getting transfers and can’t prove himself

I will say if NA wins this game, Art Walker instantly becomes the greatest wpial coach ever
Might as well have some fun with this game. Over/under number of touchdowns the refs call back on the prep. My guess is 2. LOL but not kidding really . I do hope the game is called fairly even if the Prep is heavily favored. NA looks to be a damn good team. I watched them on the NHSF channel yesterday on delay after watching the Prep dismantle South and 3 TDs called back. SHEESH

Reactions: roxychknpoxy
Might as well have some fun with this game. Over/under number of touchdowns the refs call back on the prep. My guess is 2. LOL but not kidding really . I do hope the game is called fairly even if the Prep is heavily favored. NA looks to be a damn good team. I watched them on the NHSF channel yesterday on delay after watching the Prep dismantle South and 3 TDs called back. SHEESH
I’ve watched 2 SJP games this season; yesterdays game and the Lakeland Florida game. One things for certain, SJP WRs hold A LOT apparently

• Haha
Reactions: roxychknpoxy
That actually wasn’t supposed to be funny. Maybe the refs are making bad calls, but I’ve seen a lot of receivers being called for holding. Thoughts SJP fans?

That actually wasn’t supposed to be funny. Maybe the refs are making bad calls, but I’ve seen a lot of receivers being called for holding. Thoughts SJP fans?
my guess is you got a "laugh" b/c roxy thought u were "nitpicking" against SJP. The reality- my guess is SJP receivers are big and strong, and play very physical, maybe "looks like" holding- maybe is, maybe not. Maybe "overly" strict refs- and sometimes, in HS, imo, when a defensive kid gets "tossed around" due to a physical mis-match- s/t the refs throw the flag thinking, "well that 'must have been a hold'"

Reactions: new2pa and lilromeo
my guess is you got a "laugh" b/c roxy thought u were "nitpicking" against SJP. The reality- my guess is SJP receivers are big and strong, and play very physical, maybe "looks like" holding- maybe is, maybe not. Maybe "overly" strict refs- and sometimes, in HS, imo, when a defensive kid gets "tossed around" due to a physical mis-match- s/t the refs throw the flag thinking, "well that 'must have been a hold'"
Im sure tthere is holding by all teams. Prep doesnt need to hold lol. Just appears that they are targeted at times more than their opposition just my opinion.

My god, SJP people, please don’t turn into LaSalle fans and just non-stop complain about officiating. I know most of the LaSalle folk are gone from around here, but dating back to 2009, I’ve never seen a group of fans more consistently act like there is a grand conspiracy against them at all times. I thought it was contained to just one school, let’s not make it the whole league.

My god, SJP people, please don’t turn into LaSalle fans and just non-stop complain about officiating. I know most of the LaSalle folk are gone from around here, but dating back to 2009, I’ve never seen a group of fans more consistently act like there is a grand conspiracy against them at all times. I thought it was contained to just one school, let’s not make it the whole league.

Rover, I can't imagine any fans being worse than Aliquippa.

Rover, I can't imagine any fans being worse than Aliquippa.
They’re bad for different reasons. Aliquippa fans are the most confident fans ever, and often come across as pompous and egotistical. On Facebook, it’s really bad. It seems like 90% of the user base on “the wpial edition” are Aliquippa fans. Bad takes run rampant on the site, it’s gonna be really bad win they win states in a few days

SJP fans are complaining about penalties when their up 35-0 in the second quarter, which will rub some the wrong way

Im sure tthere is holding by all teams. Prep doesnt need to hold lol. Just appears that they are targeted at times more than their opposition just my opinion.
Prep fans have excuses for everything. Having new Jersey kids can be a curse, playing a national schedule can be a curse, playing img on ESPN is a curse too, now the refs target them. The eastern all stars have it pretty bad

Prep fans have excuses for everything. Having new Jersey kids can be a curse, playing a national schedule can be a curse, playing img on ESPN is a curse too, now the refs target them. The eastern all stars have it pretty bad
No Prep person on here has ever said those first three things are "curses." If you find evidence we have, please share it. We've all said that not having boundaries is, on balance, a significant advantage but that the the distances students have to travel is a challenge--not a curse. It doesn't outweigh the advantage by any means. As for playing a "national schedule" (a misnomer since they play only one game a year that's not within busing distance") and being on ESPN, both are obviously good for the program but each also carries some risks (which are not the same as curses).

As for the refs, I think 2020 and lil got it right. On a few occasions (e.g, in MD against Spalding and in FL against Lakeland) there did seem to be some "home cooking"--as there was when some of us were in Ramsey NJ to see SJP play Bosco in '06. I'd also say that sometimes when there is a mismatch, the refs, perhaps unconsciously, try to keep things a bit closer by throwing more flags against the obviously stronger team, or by not throwing them against the weaker team. I've seen many such cases in college and especially hs football. Am I the only one?

No Prep person on here has ever said those first three things are "curses." If you find evidence we have, please share it. We've all said that not having boundaries is, on balance, a significant advantage but that the the distances students have to travel is a challenge--not a curse. It doesn't outweigh the advantage by any means. As for playing a "national schedule" (a misnomer since they play only one game a year that's not within busing distance") and being on ESPN, both are obviously good for the program but each also carries some risks (which are not the same as curses).

As for the refs, I think 2020 and lil got it right. On a few occasions (e.g, in MD against Spalding and in FL against Lakeland) there did seem to be some "home cooking"--as there was when some of us were in Ramsey NJ to see SJP play Bosco in '06. I'd also say that sometimes when there is a mismatch, the refs, perhaps unconsciously, try to keep things a bit closer by throwing more flags against the obviously stronger team, or by not throwing them against the weaker team. I've seen many such cases in college and especially hs football. Am I the only one?
Tulla -
It’s the same scenario since 2008 when I first came to the board. Now it’s a new group of boardsters. PIAA courted PCL heavily! I wrote my piece on another thread and won’t rationalize any more. The service trips are just that, service trips. Pubs have all the tax dollars and best facilities. Show me a local PCL with better facilities?!?! Nobody said anything about being cursed in that context. Prep has been this way for decades, no explanations any more. Play on!

Tulla -
It’s the same scenario since 2008 when I first came to the board. Now it’s a new group of boardsters. PIAA courted PCL heavily! I wrote my piece on another thread and won’t rationalize any more. The service trips are just that, service trips. Pubs have all the tax dollars and best facilities. Show me a local PCL with better facilities?!?! Nobody said anything about being cursed in that context. Prep has been this way for decades, no explanations any more. Play on!
Imagine that. They’re selling that narrative to their fans and players. Instead of preparing to play they put out messages about being from 4 states and pa addresses. Most of the things said here are also spewed during the games.

roxy- all due respect- sorry, no i disagree- no way things "are just like 2008." Too many things have changed- college NIL, HS NIL, NCAA transfer options for kids? I dont know their details, but i bet 2 or 3 current seniors at SJP will be making money as big-time college athletes, 6 months from now- that did not happen in 2008.

Not spea

Not speaking of you tulla, you have valid points. I like your opinion on high school football even though we disagree at times.

TOWAMENCIN — Every year, it seems, the District 1 champion runs into District 12 champion St. Joseph’s Prep in the PIAA Class 6A semifinals. And virtually every tear, that team loses to Prep.

This year, it was Central Bucks South’s turn.

Juggernaut St. Joseph’s Prep — which draws players from three states and is ranked No. 8 in the country in USA Today’s Top 25 poll — began the PIAA semifinal against CB South with Brandon Rehmann returning the opening kickoff 79 yards for a touchdown.

And the reigning state champion Hawks just continued to pour on the points, blowing out CB South 49-0 Saturday afternoon at North Penn High School to land a return trip to the state title game.

They’ll face North Allegheny next Saturday night at Cumberland Valley High School.

The Hawks (12-1) led 27-0 by the early second quarter and 42-0 by halftime. There was a running clock the rest of the way.

“It’s an elite football program full of elite football players,” CB South coach Tom Hetrick said. “It’s one of those things where it is what it is. We genuinely believed we had a good game plan. We’ve done great things all year. As great as those things are, they weren’t great enough to be able to deal with what we just dealt with today.”

A silver lining for the Titans (13-2) happened when running back Anthony Leonardi broke 2,000 yards for the season. He entered the game needing 76 yards to reach the mark. He finished with 83 — including a 54-yard run on South’s first play from scrimmage — passing the milestone in the fourth quarter.

“It’s crazy,” Leonardi said. “I wouldn’t have been able to do it without my coaches and my offensive line. They paved the way for me all year, with our fullbacks and our receivers blocking on the outside.

“Obviously we wanted to win states, it’s rough, but we had a historic season,” Leonardi said. “It’s amazing to be part of this, to be able to play in a game like this.”

Prep’s defense stiffened after Leonardi’s early run, and the Hawks responded with rushing TDs by Taj Dyches and quarterback Samaj Jones before Kahseim Phillips opened the second period with a 74-yard run to the end zone.

Before halftime, Jones connected with Rehmann for a 47-yard score, and then found Elijah Jones in the end zone from 17 yards out.

Rob Novotny tacked on the Hawks’ final TD in the fourth quarter.

This will be Prep’s 10th state final appearance in the last 11 years. It begs the question, since St. Joe’s can essentially recruit student athletes from anywhere, should the system be set up differently? It doesn’t seem fair to other schools.

“Listen, St. Joe’s are who they are,” Hetrick said. “I don’t want anybody’s sympathy. We don’t want anybody’s pity. My job is to coach football, and we play who we play.

“I guess if you’re playing in the state semifinals against an elite program like that, that’s a pretty good problem to have,” he said.

The Hawks are seeking their eighth state championship. They haven’t lost to a team from Pennsylvania this year. Their only defeat was to IMG Academy, an athletic boarding school in Bradenton, Fla.

“I’ll face everyone the same,” senior offensive lineman Collin Goetter said. “You could be a middle school team or you could be the ’85 Bears, I don’t care. The system is how the system is. Unfortunately, it didn’t break our way this time, but we did a historic thing this year.

“From Homecoming Week 10, to Coach Hetrick’s first playoff win, to getting our first away win in the playoffs, and coming in and beating West at West — that was a surreal feeling. I’ll never forget that,” Goetter said. “And winning the district title. It’s something I’ll always see in my head, doing it as a team, because these guys are my brothers.”

South won its first district football title in the 20-year history of the school, before running into Prep.

“There’s no excuses, football is football,” Leonardi said of losing to the Hawks. “At the end of the day, they’re 17-, 18-year-old high schoolers, just like us. If that’s how the system has to be, that’s how it has to be. We came out and battled our hearts out. I have no complaints.”

Corey Moore added a 21-yard run for the Titans. In five playoff games, he and Leonardi combined for 1,150 yards and 14 touchdowns. They are part of an accomplished senior class that helped lay the foundation for future success at CB South, which will return several key players next year, including quarterback Owen Pinkerton and members of the defensive front.

“It’s been such a special group,” Hetrick said of his seniors. “I’ve known them since they were in sixth and seventh grade. They’re the kind of guys you root for. If anything like what we’ve done this year is going to happen to a senior group, this is the group you want it to happen for.

“It’s a gift to be able to do what I do and hang out with people from the South side of the tracks, because genuinely pure, salt of the earth people,” Hetrick said. “I couldn’t love them any more.”

——

Email Christiaan DeFranco at cdefranco@thereporteronline.com. Follow him on X at @the_defranc, or visit ChrisDeFranco.com.

TOWAMENCIN — Every year, it seems, the District 1 champion runs into District 12 champion St. Joseph’s Prep in the PIAA Class 6A semifinals. And virtually every tear, that team loses to Prep.

This year, it was Central Bucks South’s turn.

Juggernaut St. Joseph’s Prep — which draws players from three states and is ranked No. 8 in the country in USA Today’s Top 25 poll — began the PIAA semifinal against CB South with Brandon Rehmann returning the opening kickoff 79 yards for a touchdown.

And the reigning state champion Hawks just continued to pour on the points, blowing out CB South 49-0 Saturday afternoon at North Penn High School to land a return trip to the state title game.

They’ll face North Allegheny next Saturday night at Cumberland Valley High School.

The Hawks (12-1) led 27-0 by the early second quarter and 42-0 by halftime. There was a running clock the rest of the way.

“It’s an elite football program full of elite football players,” CB South coach Tom Hetrick said. “It’s one of those things where it is what it is. We genuinely believed we had a good game plan. We’ve done great things all year. As great as those things are, they weren’t great enough to be able to deal with what we just dealt with today.”

A silver lining for the Titans (13-2) happened when running back Anthony Leonardi broke 2,000 yards for the season. He entered the game needing 76 yards to reach the mark. He finished with 83 — including a 54-yard run on South’s first play from scrimmage — passing the milestone in the fourth quarter.

“It’s crazy,” Leonardi said. “I wouldn’t have been able to do it without my coaches and my offensive line. They paved the way for me all year, with our fullbacks and our receivers blocking on the outside.

“Obviously we wanted to win states, it’s rough, but we had a historic season,” Leonardi said. “It’s amazing to be part of this, to be able to play in a game like this.”

Prep’s defense stiffened after Leonardi’s early run, and the Hawks responded with rushing TDs by Taj Dyches and quarterback Samaj Jones before Kahseim Phillips opened the second period with a 74-yard run to the end zone.

Before halftime, Jones connected with Rehmann for a 47-yard score, and then found Elijah Jones in the end zone from 17 yards out.

Rob Novotny tacked on the Hawks’ final TD in the fourth quarter.

This will be Prep’s 10th state final appearance in the last 11 years. It begs the question, since St. Joe’s can essentially recruit student athletes from anywhere, should the system be set up differently? It doesn’t seem fair to other schools.

“Listen, St. Joe’s are who they are,” Hetrick said. “I don’t want anybody’s sympathy. We don’t want anybody’s pity. My job is to coach football, and we play who we play.

“I guess if you’re playing in the state semifinals against an elite program like that, that’s a pretty good problem to have,” he said.

The Hawks are seeking their eighth state championship. They haven’t lost to a team from Pennsylvania this year. Their only defeat was to IMG Academy, an athletic boarding school in Bradenton, Fla.

“I’ll face everyone the same,” senior offensive lineman Collin Goetter said. “You could be a middle school team or you could be the ’85 Bears, I don’t care. The system is how the system is. Unfortunately, it didn’t break our way this time, but we did a historic thing this year.

“From Homecoming Week 10, to Coach Hetrick’s first playoff win, to getting our first away win in the playoffs, and coming in and beating West at West — that was a surreal feeling. I’ll never forget that,” Goetter said. “And winning the district title. It’s something I’ll always see in my head, doing it as a team, because these guys are my brothers.”

South won its first district football title in the 20-year history of the school, before running into Prep.

“There’s no excuses, football is football,” Leonardi said of losing to the Hawks. “At the end of the day, they’re 17-, 18-year-old high schoolers, just like us. If that’s how the system has to be, that’s how it has to be. We came out and battled our hearts out. I have no complaints.”

Corey Moore added a 21-yard run for the Titans. In five playoff games, he and Leonardi combined for 1,150 yards and 14 touchdowns. They are part of an accomplished senior class that helped lay the foundation for future success at CB South, which will return several key players next year, including quarterback Owen Pinkerton and members of the defensive front.

“It’s been such a special group,” Hetrick said of his seniors. “I’ve known them since they were in sixth and seventh grade. They’re the kind of guys you root for. If anything like what we’ve done this year is going to happen to a senior group, this is the group you want it to happen for.

“It’s a gift to be able to do what I do and hang out with people from the South side of the tracks, because genuinely pure, salt of the earth people,” Hetrick said. “I couldn’t love them any more.”

——

Email Christiaan DeFranco at cdefranco@thereporteronline.com. Follow him on X at @the_defranc, or visit ChrisDeFranco.com.
Classy coach and classy comments from CB South players. Walker already starting lol

I dont know why anyone has an issue with my comments about 3 TDs being flagged and called back. I simply stated what I saw and what I believe. I have seen it too many times as all of you probably have .

South handled it exactly as they should have in their post-game interviews, well done... what I liked about what they did is they came in with a game plan that didn't change what they had done all year, or especially late in the season. I've seen teams overthink what they are doing against Prep and get away from what they do well, all season, for years, etc... South did what they do, it wasn't nearly good enough, but they stayed true to who they are and ultimately that gave them their best shot. I think 20 years from now those kids memories will be about winning the D1 title against D-West, and not what happened the following week. While I'm sure that a lot of kids dream about state championships, in CB, it's Cup, Conference, D1.

Reactions: lilromeo and MC1975
The portal has ruined college sports imo
I don't like the portal either. But it's something of the inevitable result of various changes and developments down the years. I'm old enough to remember when freshmen couldn't play varsity. One result was that football and basketball players had to spend at least a year as pretty much normal college students. That helped them feel part of the student body/ college. Many (most?) did not have separate dorms for athletes. Again, more integration. And I don't recall the NFL drafting juniors. And of course, there wasn't nearly as much money going to schools / conferences from TV networks, sponsors, etc. I agree the end result hasn't made either college football or college basketball any better, especially to supporters of particular colleges.

Of course it's had a big spillover into hs sports and players. All the early "offers" are one result as is the general (but strong) sense you have to start building your own brand when you 14 or 15--if not sooner!

Maybe we feed into a bit by focusing on how many D1 offers a kid has--and who's making the offers. I know I don't like to hear the student broadcasters on WSJP focusing so much on the offers a Prep or an opposing player has.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT