ADVERTISEMENT

North Allegheny vs Harrisburg (Western Final)

northalleghenytiger

Aug 22, 2022
Time to preview this game. NA is coming off a dominant victory over McDowell. Game was over after the first quarter. Meanwhile, Harrisburg had a thrill come from behind victory to win in OT against Manheim township. Both teams one loss came against conference opponents, who they went on to get revenge on in the playoffs.

Prediction- NA 35-21

final? no i think this is just a state semi. Harrisburg is different, their program is much more battle-tested than NA. But, i agree NA is very good- ill say closer- NA wins a dog fight, 21-19

if Harrisburg brought back enough key players from last year and replaced the guys they lost, that could be bad news for NA because Harrisburg was a much better team than NA last year

I put is on the post below entitled "Awesome Comeback"
They returned a good core of 7-8 starters depending how you count, 2nd units, etc. Very nice returns on lines that almost always is a strength with a lot of youth at all the skill positions and two starting sophs on the OL.
That's why in conjunction with last year's grads I thought they were a year away. Not meaning they couldn't do things this year, just that they'd be more next year.

About the matchup. I'm knee deep in this week's writeup but can tell you Harrisburg played a far more diverse schedule including nine teams with a winning record of 79-28, contrasted with NA's seven 'winning' opponents, 57-28 W/L, of which they played three twice. Little benefit playing the same three teams twice with only one, Pitt CC, a legit 'title team'. No diversity staying home in conf games. Harrisburg stretched out playing Delaware Valley, York and Township before settling into the grind of Mid Penn action (CV, CD, SC). NA won't show them anything they haven't seen in non conf, conf or playoff teams.

Harrisburg stretched out playing Delaware Valley, York and Township before settling into the grind of Mid Penn action (CV, CD, SC). NA won't show them anything they haven't seen in non conf, conf or playoff teams.

The most difficult thing Harrisburg will face is a team that executes very well and is extremely physical. You have to beat NA, they won't beat themselves.

Harrisburg has some dudes, but they're light on numbers. Know nothing about NA besides their history of putting out solid squads. Hopefully it's a great game, since O'Doyle Rules football will dominate the other semi and the final.

Cougars' #74 is dynamic and only a sophomore- fun to watch.

Harrisburg has some dudes, but they're light on numbers. Know nothing about NA besides their history of putting out solid squads. Hopefully it's a great game, since O'Doyle Rules football will dominate the other semi and the final.

Cougars' #74 is dynamic and only a sophomore- fun to watch.
Been light on numbers since covid. Hasn't slowed them....yet. They start two sophs, Kevin Brown who you mentioned and Williamson. PSU and others are already all over KB. Really pumped up in offseason, saying he gained 30 pounds. Looks it. As mentioned above, there's a lot of youth throughout the lineup.

They returned a good core of 7-8 starters depending how you count, 2nd units, etc. Very nice returns on lines that almost always is a strength with a lot of youth at all the skill positions and two starting sophs on the OL.
That's why in conjunction with last year's grads I thought they were a year away. Not meaning they couldn't do things this year, just that they'd be more next year.

About the matchup. I'm knee deep in this week's writeup but can tell you Harrisburg played a far more diverse schedule including nine teams with a winning record of 79-28, contrasted with NA's seven 'winning' opponents, 57-28 W/L, of which they played three twice. Little benefit playing the same three teams twice with only one, Pitt CC, a legit 'title team'. No diversity staying home in conf games. Harrisburg stretched out playing Delaware Valley, York and Township before settling into the grind of Mid Penn action (CV, CD, SC). NA won't show them anything they haven't seen in non conf, conf or playoff teams.
Stalk- spot-on- their choice of opponents makes them battle-tested- a weakness for NA, as I have said in the past

Stalk- spot-on- their choice of opponents makes them battle-tested- a weakness for NA, as I have said in the past
Are they really battle tested though? CV, CD, State College, and York High were all pretty average this year. I saw CV and CD play twice this year and I think Canon Mac is probably equal if not better. York High plays no one in the YAIAA minus Central whom they get embarrassed by over the last few years.

Maxpreps even has NA's SOS higher then Harrisburg.

Harrisburg strength is their O line and NA strength is their d line with a Marshal commit and a richmond commit. Whoever wins the battle in the trenches could win the game. I think it'll be a good game and I'm going to go with history and take the wpial NA in a battle. Winner gets mercy ruled by st joes prep the all star team out east.

Are they really battle tested though? CV, CD, State College, and York High were all pretty average this year. I saw CV and CD play twice this year and I think Canon Mac is probably equal if not better. York High plays no one in the YAIAA minus Central whom they get embarrassed by over the last few years.

Maxpreps even has NA's SOS higher then Harrisburg.
Battle tested in the sense they are always a good opponent with their coaching, meaning CD, CV, SC, Twp, Central York, Del Val, etc. These are all headed by well-regarded coaches that go across state or play powers within their district.
While they don't always put shit kickers on the field, they are always well coached, fundamentally sound regardless of record. You usually know you've been in a game after playing them. I didn't clarify that well. No offense, but I don't rely on Maxpreps for SOS opinions.

Excluding Pitt CC, Pine and NA, it difficult measuring Wpial strength when they don't play anyone. The Mid Penn welcomes all comers as evidenced by the following, year in, year out.
CD, played Coatesville, Wilson
CV, played Central York, Spg Fd, Township
SC, played Dtown East
Hbg, played Township
McD, played DePaul-NJ, Mt. St Joes-Md, LaSalle
Steel High, played Imani, Eastern, West Catholic
Trinity, Wyomissing

Reactions: lilromeo
Excluding Pitt CC, Pine and NA, it difficult measuring Wpial strength when they don't play anyone. The Mid Penn welcomes all comers as evidenced by the following, year in, year out.
I don't think the WPIAL has to go very far to find competition, meaning outside the district. The Big 56 has more then enough competition just within it's conferences. The proof of that is seeing the variety of 5A/6A schools who've won state titles in the last 10 years - Mt. Lebo x1, Pine Richland x3, Penn Trafford x1, Penn Hills x1, PCC x 1, etc. The Mid Penn has to outside the Mid Penn to find competition as evidenced by their OOC games with the LL league and other schools.

In terms of strength, I don't think it's any coincidence that the WPIAL has produced the most state champions of any district in the state. That is with a dwindling population. I grew up played and coached in D3 and it's really good football. The Mid Penn and LL league are excellent leagues. The WPIAL is a different animal. I think Aliquippa is proof of that. I mean they are a 1A school and they've beaten McDevitt a 4A school and recently lost to them.

I don't think the WPIAL has to go very far to find competition, meaning outside the district. The Big 56 has more then enough competition just within it's conferences. The proof of that is seeing the variety of 5A/6A schools who've won state titles in the last 10 years - Mt. Lebo x1, Pine Richland x3, Penn Trafford x1, Penn Hills x1, PCC x 1, etc. The Mid Penn has to outside the Mid Penn to find competition as evidenced by their OOC games with the LL league and other schools.

In terms of strength, I don't think it's any coincidence that the WPIAL has produced the most state champions of any district in the state. That is with a dwindling population. I grew up played and coached in D3 and it's really good football. The Mid Penn and LL league are excellent leagues. The WPIAL is a different animal. I think Aliquippa is proof of that. I mean they are a 1A school and they've beaten McDevitt a 4A school and recently lost to them.
Absolutely! Only the uninformed would argue against WPIAL prowess over the years and their success at collecting trophies. Like you, I'm from D3, and fortunate enough to have or have had residency in Harrisburg and the Philly area........with family in Coraopolis, Fox Chapel and a father living on Neville St in Oakland some years ago. The Coraopolis-FC cousins constantly remind me (everyone!) how good the Wpial is. I get it. And of course, there's great comp within the Wpial itself. They don't have to go beyond their borders anymore than the Mid Penn has to to fill out their schedules.
As you mentioned, the Mid Penn goes beyond their border to complete their schedules. They could opt to play weak 6As to fill the schedule; teams like Mifflin County, Reading, McCaskey, Penn Manor, so-so Red Lion's and Dallastown's instead of playing the top end programs they schedule. They also could fill out the schedule with local (Mid Penn) 5As as the 6As do in D7. Instead, the opt to play strong comp like Coatesville, Downingtown East, LaSalle, Manheim Twp, Wilson and so forth. That's great for us fans and the players to travel, see other venues and have the great experience of something new.
My gripe about their scheduling of not playing beyond the district is it disallows comparing teams on a head-to-ahead basis. Nothing more than that. The impact of Mid Penn teams playing the non-conf slate they do is it provides that and is great prep for conference play.

Absolutely! Only the uninformed would argue against WPIAL prowess over the years and their success at collecting trophies. Like you, I'm from D3, and fortunate enough to have or have had residency in Harrisburg and the Philly area........with family in Coraopolis, Fox Chapel and a father living on Neville St in Oakland some years ago. The Coraopolis-FC cousins constantly remind me (everyone!) how good the Wpial is. I get it. And of course, there's great comp within the Wpial itself. They don't have to go beyond their borders anymore than the Mid Penn has to to fill out their schedules.
As you mentioned, the Mid Penn goes beyond their border to complete their schedules. They could opt to play weak 6As to fill the schedule; teams like Mifflin County, Reading, McCaskey, Penn Manor, so-so Red Lion's and Dallastown's instead of playing the top end programs they schedule. They also could fill out the schedule with local (Mid Penn) 5As as the 6As do in D7. Instead, the opt to play strong comp like Coatesville, Downingtown East, LaSalle, Manheim Twp, Wilson and so forth. That's great for us fans and the players to travel, see other venues and have the great experience of something new.
My gripe about their scheduling of not playing beyond the district is it disallows comparing teams on a head-to-ahead basis. Nothing more than that. The impact of Mid Penn teams playing the non-conf slate they do is it provides that and is great prep for conference play.
The WPIAL only allows AD's to schedule week zero games. They as a committee do all of the scheduling. That's great for AD's but sometimes the fans like to see some variety for sure.

Over the years though, we've seen a bunch of WPIAL teams schedule high profile week zero games through Herbstreit Classic and the whole WPIAL vs everyone series down at Woody High. I'm not even sure if that Herbstreit Classic even exists anymore. I remember seeing some great teams come to Pittsburgh and vice versa where WPIAL teams went into Ohio. McKeesport/Colerain is an example.

The WPIAL only allows AD's to schedule week zero games. They as a committee do all of the scheduling. That's great for AD's but sometimes the fans like to see some variety for sure.

Over the years though, we've seen a bunch of WPIAL teams schedule high profile week zero games through Herbstreit Classic and the whole WPIAL vs everyone series down at Woody High. I'm not even sure if that Herbstreit Classic even exists anymore. I remember seeing some great teams come to Pittsburgh and vice versa where WPIAL teams went into Ohio. McKeesport/Colerain is an example.
I suppose cost is a factor with ADs not scheduling games, or an excuse. Some ADs just don't care and I get that. It's a niche interest here on the board, and in fact I imagine. I thought the Wpial was still enough of a hotbed to enjoy and seek out such opportunities; bragging rights and all that. But I'm evidently wrong there.

I'm a Herbstreit fan and don't believe the Classic is still going. Kirk's is making a few mil a year as an analysist/commentator and no doubt just doesn't have time to put a thing like that together. Too bad. As you mentioned, it was special. Colerain was a monster program and Cincy a super HS hotbed. I always enjoyed learning about the 'name' schools from across the country.
Must admit I'm spoiled beyond saving with half the family and my life spent in Florida where four relative's schools winning titles; Lakeland, Manatee, Dwyer and Frostproof. Weird.

Hoping for a good game. I think NA pulls it out. Seems like HBurg has some magic going right now but NA is my pick. Unfortunately, it won’t matter because we know who the winner gets to see.

Reactions: Stalker
6-4 290
5-11 245
6-5 250
6-0 265
6-1 270.

Others....6-1 235, 6-1 240. I think they changed jerseys a game or two back with ? on #51/#54. 2 soph, 1 jr, 2 sr.
Kevin Brown the lineman for Harrisburg is a special player. He's one of the best sophomore lineman in the country. One of the best and most interesting matchups is him going up against Daniel sellers the Richmond commit. I think both teams thier skill potions are a wash and similar with both having duel threat QBs. I think whoever wins it in the trenches wins the game.

Kevin Brown the lineman for Harrisburg is a special player. He's one of the best sophomore lineman in the country. One of the best and most interesting matchups is him going up against Daniel sellers the Richmond commit. I think both teams thier skill potions are a wash and similar with both having duel threat QBs. I think whoever wins it in the trenches wins the game.
PSU and others are all over soph KB. He's one of a number of high skilled underclassmen. What they did to Township in the second half was something, scoring 27 on that defense and holding them scoreless on their field. If that kind of a comeback against that kind of a team doesn't bowl people over!
Some of us guys thinking we know something about the game as ex-players (chuckle-chuckle), mostly us D guys are impressed with their LBs and especially Alualu. He's the one you have to account for.

Altoona is beautiful this time of year.

Harrisburg by 10 over North Allegheny

Rematch in the 6A Championship game with Harrisburg and O'Doyle Rules facing off once again. Maybe Harrisburg can keep it within 5 TDs again...

Must admit I'm spoiled beyond saving with half the family and my life spent in Florida where four relative's schools winning titles; Lakeland, Manatee, Dwyer and Frostproof. Weird.
speaking of Florida, I remember Cocoa HS coming up to the Wolverena to play both Thomas Jefferson and Woodland Hills around 10-12 years ago it seems.

so is Brown the center?

Sellers is a stud, he stands out on defense

3 on OL are underclassmen. It's a young team at all the skill positions as well.
Future looking bright for Harrisburg. Especially since they always seem to have speed and skill guys. Looking forward to the game tmrw. I'll take NA in a close game 42-31. I wander if the game will be streamed online.

Future looking bright for Harrisburg. Especially since they always seem to have speed and skill guys. Looking forward to the game tmrw. I'll take NA in a close game 42-31. I wander if the game will be streamed online.
Looking bright for McDevitt too as they are just as youthful especially skill. Quite a year with the Harrisburg schools, McDevitt, H-burg and Steelton advancing deep.

Steel: Cocoa is forever and still kicking ass in playoffs. Only loss this year was by a point to STA. Awesome 'small school' program. Hopefully the Woodland Hills-Wolverena Peach Bowl, or whatever it is-was continues going forward.

Reactions: steelcurtain55.
No. 6-5, 245-250 at start of season. Often at RT, shifting to L but always at OT. Plays both ways.
mmm- that could be advantage-NA- this kid playing both ways? He may be great, but he's gonna get banged around and gassed- and only 10th grade? Daniel Sellers and Alualu are grown-friggin men for NA

grr- i might have to pay for that stupid NFHS streaming!! gonna be a great battle!

mmm- that could be advantage-NA- this kid playing both ways? He may be great, but he's gonna get banged around and gassed- and only 10th grade? Daniel Sellers and Alualu are grown-friggin men for NA

grr- i might have to pay for that stupid NFHS streaming!! gonna be a great battle!
Yes, numbers are and have been an issue although many 6As have guys doing double duty. Still, point taken and it's a factor. Another is the kicking game that is WAY improved over last year but still shaky. Discipline (maturity) is improved with reduced pre-snap issues and pointless holding away from the play, etc. Stupid stuff. They have a good number of guys that simply put have their heads in the game instead of their ass. High IQ Qb.
Harrisburg is often at a disadvantage with their numbers. But look at their schedule and see how well they've negotiated it over the years.
Personally, I think NA is a hand full and definitely the best team they've played this year 'tho Manheim Twp was talented. So was State High when they played them. But something weird happened up there I haven't got wind of yet. They really plummeted in performance.
Ton of respect for Walker and the team in general and would not be surprised who won. Was shocked at NA's performance last year. Right, that was last year. Harrisburg is explosive and NA exceptional offensively especially. Would it surprise any of us if either one ran away with it?

2020; I think he's used to getting 'banged around' with the hombres he practices with and playing in the Mid Penn! They're all big and aggressive there.

Sellers is a stud, he stands out on defense
Scary thing is he's not even the best defensive lineman Cameron chmara is so good luck blocking both them. Harrisburgs O line is going to have their hands full.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT