ADVERTISEMENT

North Allegheny VS Saint Joseph’s Preparatory School (STATE CHAMPIONSHIP)

Rover, I’m still here from 2009 and I don’t remember calling out the officials. We won games outright.
I think Rover may be referencing the year which parkland won with a terrible pass interference call against Lasalle. I was there and it happened very close to where I was sitting.

I think Rover may be referencing the year which parkland won with a terrible pass interference call against Lasalle. I was there and it happened very close to where I was sitting.
I think the 2015 call was not a particularly good one, and I understand being mad about the PI. From that game, it was the “every time we had a big run it got called back for holding, the refs were against us!” that drove me crazy.

But more in the 2008-2012 run, it felt like every time LaSalle won, their fans would make a point that they won despite refs who had it out for them, and if they lost, they couldn’t get a call. So when the 2015 PI happens, it felt like the boy who cried wolf, as iffy as that call was.

I’m married into a LaSalle family, its even worse in person!

Reactions: Frank_montco
I don't know what PCC team this was - it was around 2015-2017 but on that roster they had -

Petrishen - DB - PSU
McCallister - OL - Army
Glover - LB - E. Mich
Tindall - DB - ND College
Hamlin - DB - PITT
Wheeler - DL - PITT
Hawthorne - LB - Georgetown
George - LB - W. Michigan
Garner - DB - PITT
Jones - RB - Toledo
Hinish - OL/DL - ND
Thorpe - OL/DL - PSU
Adams - LB - ND
Terry - LB - Buffalo
Fisher - QB - Lafayette
Petrishen's senior season was 2014 when they lost to Pine Richland in the wpial final

sol- what are you asking- why kids go to sjp, or why they go to img?
I get you spend $26,000 because you have the money and your boy is strong academically. But to go from prep school to a Kutztown, stroudsburg, etc makes no sense to me. They’re no Penn State, Ohio State, etc sports wise and the academics aren’t Ivy or private. Doesn’t appear to be a good investment or move.

IMG appears to be a stepping stone to D1, right? I can’t image they have players going D2 public, yes?

I get you spend $26,000 because you have the money and your boy is strong academically. But to go from prep school to a Kutztown, stroudsburg, etc makes no sense to me. They’re no Penn State, Ohio State, etc sports wise and the academics aren’t Ivy or private. Doesn’t appear to be a good investment or move.

IMG appears to be a stepping stone to D1, right? I can’t image they have players going D2 public, yes?
Agree with this about private HS in general, although I do get that some families might have the means and desire for that to be their kid's HS experience regardless of where they go afterwards. Plenty of students from Inter-Ac or Lasalle / Prep don't end up going to top academic schools, including the non-athletes.

IMG has a lot of elite players. They also have guys who are roster fillers who aren't going to FBS schools. The North Penn center (who was not even honorable mention all-league last year) went to IMG for his senior year and he made the top team, the National squad.

Bucks, do you know where he is going to college? Is he a division 1 prospect?

Bucks, do you know where he is going to college? Is he a division 1 prospect?
Don’t know that he’s got an offer yet. He’s not real tall, around 6’2”, which in today’s D1 game means he’s at best an undersized center.

Remember that most SJP families--not just football families--do not pay full tuition.

The great majority of SJP graduates go to colleges with better academic programs and reputations than Kutztown, Stroudsberg, etc. but some football players who want to continue playing football and are not go to get an offer from a more high profile program will decide to take an offer from a D2 or D3 school and make the best of it. Marquez, the QB from '16-'17, went to Sacred Heart (partly because they really wanted him). He spent three or four years there before transferring to Monmouth St. Now he just declared for the NFL draft. A long shot, for sure, but lots of guys want to keep the dream alive. Just hope they get a degree and are reasonably prepared for a non-football career.

If you look at where Prep football players go, you'll see quite a range of schools: Colgate, Princeton, Johns Hopkins, Merrimack, Clemson, South Carolina, Maine, Air Force, Towson, West Virginia, Western Kentucky, Duke, Penn, St. Francis, Wisconsin, etc. The odd omission is Penn State--at least since Reid graduated four or five years ago.

Hey Tigger -

47 is a solid player, any chance SJP can get an address and intro?

Thanks
C'mon roxy, are you really trolling NA Tiger? That's weak....I can offer him a nice condo with unlimited funds in Newtown to play for my pathetic alma mater.

Prep gets the "disconcerting" call every year in the playoffs, and their sideline goes nuts every time the officials finally call it. I think it was twice against GV last year.

NA doesn’t have enough dudes. SJP is scoring on basic football.
Jimmies and joes boys. Jimmies and joes. As the great Eugene Everhart told me years ago what goes into winning a football game
1. What the other team has
2 what you have
3 then coaching

Ooooops! Now it's 37-10 (SJP returned kickoff to Tigers' 12 and ran it in on next play -- extra point kick was wide).

Ooooops! Now it's 37-10 (SJP returned kickoff to Tigers' 12 and ran it in on next play -- extra point kick was wide).
Damn. Being an old WPIAL guy this stings a little. There is a Latin term for this. Muchas asswhiipus. If you have coached we have all been there

Prep gets the "disconcerting" call every year in the playoffs, and their sideline goes nuts every time the officials finally call it. I think it was twice against GV last year.
SJP’s front 7 shifts so much pre-snap. Sometimes it can be difficult to tell what they are even running (it appears to be a lot of man coverage with some quarters mixed in). Their DL is so well coached.

SJP’s front 7 shifts so much pre-snap. Sometimes it can be difficult to tell what they are even running (it appears to be a lot of man coverage with some quarters mixed in). Their DL is so well coached.
They do stem a ton, but the call is always on their LBs, for yelling out the cadence, which they will do until they get it called on them. (It was called on 10 and last year was called on Trotter.) Coverage has definitely been their Achilles heel, they play a ton of man and cover 1 and don't always pick up the back out, or are susceptible to the Q scramble if he can break contain. With that said... it's going to be a mercy rule state championship.

Yes I’m not disputing the call. You could see NA’s coaches upset it wasn’t called a few times earlier. Sjp is so tough to run the ball against with how their DL moves and squeezes blocks with LBs fitting off of them. There seems to be very little space inside. I agree you need to throw it to have a chance against them.

On a separate note, NA having 7 coaches in the building is amazing! I didn’t think that happened in PA anymore! Good for them.

Reactions: Bighead75
From what I saw on social media & Tv it didn’t look like NA traveled very well. Aren’t they a pretty big school? Stands looked half empty

From what I saw on social media & Tv it didn’t look like NA traveled very well. Aren’t they a pretty big school? Stands looked half empty
why drive 6 plus hours both ways and possibly pay for hotel when you know your team is going to get destroyed?

"The last thing I want to do is sound like I’m crying the blues about something, but I get it,” Walker said. “There is definitely a frustration when you work this hard to get here and then you take a step back and say, ‘Who are we playing?’

The only team to defeat St. Joseph’s Prep this season was national power IMG Academy in a season-opening showcase.

“You’ve got a full team,” Walker said of St. Joseph’s Prep. “Who goes both ways? Nobody. We’re a community high school team and we’ve got guys going both ways and battling. But that is what it is right now. That’s how it is in the state, so we’ve got to deal with it.”

Reactions: Fletchster1
“You’ve got a full team,” Walker said of St. Joseph’s Prep. “Who goes both ways? Nobody. We’re a community high school team and we’ve got guys going both ways and battling. But that is what it is right now. That’s how it is in the state, so we’ve got to deal with it.”
Disagree somewhat with the “we’ve got to deal with it” part. The #1 off the field activity for the ADs from the top 6A boundary schools should be working together to eliminate non-boundary schools from the playoffs.

Serious question, other than #47 would a single kid from NA start for SJP? After watching, I’d guess no.

Serious question, other than #47 would a single kid from NA start for SJP? After watching, I’d guess no.
Don’t you know that SJP players work harder than everyone else in the state and their coaching staff is the next coming of Vince Lombardi? Just ask them…

Reactions: Frank_montco
The announcers mention that the prep had 8 DI players, all skill position players, no linemen. Imhotep had 3. The announcers did not mention any other DI committees from any other teams playing. CBW played Erie prep 20 + years ago in the final and the prep had 5 DI players including Bob Sanders . West had 2 DI players and 4 0r 5 IAA players. The problem is not the SJP but the poor football
played today in Pennsylvania.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT