ADVERTISEMENT

North Allegheny VS Saint Joseph’s Preparatory School (STATE CHAMPIONSHIP)

For the "fan" the portal is crappy, for the "player" it's great. All about perspective. Here's a funny view- check out the Netflix show "Jonny Football." Crazy- to imagine how different things were, only like 10 years ago- before the portal and NIL- not long ago, 19 and 20 year old kids were really "taken advantage of"

why is Mccord transferring?
The early reporting seems to be at their end of season meeting, Day would not guarantee McCord and his dad that he will be the starter next year.

The quarterback play took a pretty obvious step back from Haskins/Fields/Stroud, and I think Ohio State at least wanted to see who develops through Spring Ball of the guys in their roster. McCord was in a battle through fall camp with Devin Brown, who is in the class behind him, and the staff seems to really like the freshman on the roster, Lincoln Keinholz. Plus they have a five star freshman from Georgia coming in.

My guess is Day’s comments on Sunday about not knowing who starts the bowl game came from a place of knowing McCord was putting his name in the portal 18 hours later.

For the "fan" the portal is crappy, for the "player" it's great. All about perspective. Here's a funny view- check out the Netflix show "Jonny Football." Crazy- to imagine how different things were, only like 10 years ago- before the portal and NIL- not long ago, 19 and 20 year old kids were really "taken advantage of"
It's good for some players, bad for others. Think of the player who spends three years in a program, works hard, and looks to be a starter as a senior only to have someone come in "out of the blue" to put him back on the bench. I'm not even sure this sort of thing ultimately improves teams--certainly not all teams. It would be interesting to see stats about which kind of players and which schools are using the portal most and least.

The early reporting seems to be at their end of season meeting, Day would not guarantee McCord and his dad that he will be the starter next year.

The quarterback play took a pretty obvious step back from Haskins/Fields/Stroud, and I think Ohio State at least wanted to see who develops through Spring Ball of the guys in their roster. McCord was in a battle through fall camp with Devin Brown, who is in the class behind him, and the staff seems to really like the freshman on the roster, Lincoln Keinholz. Plus they have a five star freshman from Georgia coming in.

My guess is Day’s comments on Sunday about not knowing who starts the bowl game came from a place of knowing McCord was putting his name in the portal 18 hours later.
I think not deciding on the starting QB all through the spring and not until the third game of the season and all of Day's comments about neither Brown nor McCord "separating" himself enough to get the nod put both QBs on tenterhooks.

I wonder if Day and the program are straightforward with all the QBs they recruit into the program about how they operate and about how likely it is--or at least seems to be--that they'll start. If they are straightforward, then the guys who are recruited (and their families) have to do a realistic assessment and take responsibility for their choice.

Reactions: Bighead75
I think not deciding on the starting QB all through the spring and not until the third game of the season and all of Day's comments about neither Brown nor McCord "separating" himself enough to get the nod put both QBs on tenterhooks.

I wonder if Day and the program are straightforward with all the QBs they recruit into the program about how they operate and about how likely it is--or at least seems to be--that they'll start. If they are straightforward, then the guys who are recruited (and their families) have to do a realistic assessment and take responsibility for their choice.
I think they didn’t decide on a quarterback for exactly the reasons we saw during the season - the quarterback play wasn’t up to Ohio State’s standard under Day. Which is exceptionally high, but by coming in under is this year, they’re a year away from “everybody is getting fired”. Brown breaking his finger during the spring didn’t help the competition either.

As a general Ohio State comment, I think they have a real quarterback coaching problem, which is weird to say given they’ve run off three straight Heisman finalists/first round picks. But from what I understand, Ryan Day is essentially the QB coach of the starter, and Corey Dennis runs the rest of the room as the “QB coach” on the org chart. Well, year three of McCord wasn’t there, and I think that very much falls on Dennis, and Day for keeping him around as a not very accomplished young coach, who “happens” to be Urban Meyer’s son-in-law, in a very important spot.

I would like to know more about the McCord recruiting process, because Kyle is the first quarterback prospect Day has identified early, gotten a commitment from, held onto, and had start. Barrett, Burrow, and Haskins were here when he got here. He signed Matthew Baldwin late in his first class as the OC/QB coach, who was never going to play at Ohio State. He locked in Jack Miller as a sophomore, who did not progress through high school and was not Ohio State caliber by the time he was a senior. That necessitated the miracle last minute recruitment of CJ Stroud, whose stock was surging post Elitr 11 and his senior season, and Ohio State got lucky that he signed, and that he ended up as good as he became.

McCord got offered as a sophomore, committed as a junior, and it was done. And he’s actually the only QB recruitment that had gone normal - Quinn Ewers committed as a junior, but then reclassified for his senior year, spent 3 months in Columbus, then left. They got Devin Brown at the last minute to replace Ewers in the class he reclassified out of as a flip from USC after they fired their coach. Last year they took a more developmental QB, first with Brock Glenn committing, then flipping to Florida State when the staff offered Keinholz too. In this class, they had the nations #1 QB, Dylan Raiola committed as a sophomore, and he flipped to Georgia before his senior year, necessitating them to go get Air Noland at the last minute. Again, only McCord has been a normal identify-recruit-commit process. So it does raise some questions about what they’re doing on that front when the first time it goes according to plan, it went pretty left when it was time for him to actually play.

I’m disappointed it worked out this way. I was excited when McCord committed as I always love when the Buckeyes get high end Pennsylvania guys. I wanted him to beat out Stroud when he was a true freshman. I was worried when Ewers reclassified that it would mean a McCord transfer. And I was pretty convinced this year that he’d be the best quarterback in the Big Ten and set himself up to be one of the best quarterbacks in the country in 2024. That didn’t happen. He wasn’t bad, but he was a top 30ish quarterback in the country at a school that needs a top 5ish quarterback to accomplish his goals. His decision making and play also stayed pretty stagnant during the season, which was concerning, and I think is the big reason he wasn’t the guaranteed starter for next year, and ultimately left. It’ll be interesting to see where he ends up - the early things I’ve heard are Miami, Maryland, Indiana, Syracuse with the new staff, or Louisville with Brohm.

I think they didn’t decide on a quarterback for exactly the reasons we saw during the season - the quarterback play wasn’t up to Ohio State’s standard under Day. Which is exceptionally high, but by coming in under is this year, they’re a year away from “everybody is getting fired”. Brown breaking his finger during the spring didn’t help the competition either.

As a general Ohio State comment, I think they have a real quarterback coaching problem, which is weird to say given they’ve run off three straight Heisman finalists/first round picks. But from what I understand, Ryan Day is essentially the QB coach of the starter, and Corey Dennis runs the rest of the room as the “QB coach” on the org chart. Well, year three of McCord wasn’t there, and I think that very much falls on Dennis, and Day for keeping him around as a not very accomplished young coach, who “happens” to be Urban Meyer’s son-in-law, in a very important spot.

I would like to know more about the McCord recruiting process, because Kyle is the first quarterback prospect Day has identified early, gotten a commitment from, held onto, and had start. Barrett, Burrow, and Haskins were here when he got here. He signed Matthew Baldwin late in his first class as the OC/QB coach, who was never going to play at Ohio State. He locked in Jack Miller as a sophomore, who did not progress through high school and was not Ohio State caliber by the time he was a senior. That necessitated the miracle last minute recruitment of CJ Stroud, whose stock was surging post Elitr 11 and his senior season, and Ohio State got lucky that he signed, and that he ended up as good as he became.

McCord got offered as a sophomore, committed as a junior, and it was done. And he’s actually the only QB recruitment that had gone normal - Quinn Ewers committed as a junior, but then reclassified for his senior year, spent 3 months in Columbus, then left. They got Devin Brown at the last minute to replace Ewers in the class he reclassified out of as a flip from USC after they fired their coach. Last year they took a more developmental QB, first with Brock Glenn committing, then flipping to Florida State when the staff offered Keinholz too. In this class, they had the nations #1 QB, Dylan Raiola committed as a sophomore, and he flipped to Georgia before his senior year, necessitating them to go get Air Noland at the last minute. Again, only McCord has been a normal identify-recruit-commit process. So it does raise some questions about what they’re doing on that front when the first time it goes according to plan, it went pretty left when it was time for him to actually play.

I’m disappointed it worked out this way. I was excited when McCord committed as I always love when the Buckeyes get high end Pennsylvania guys. I wanted him to beat out Stroud when he was a true freshman. I was worried when Ewers reclassified that it would mean a McCord transfer. And I was pretty convinced this year that he’d be the best quarterback in the Big Ten and set himself up to be one of the best quarterbacks in the country in 2024. That didn’t happen. He wasn’t bad, but he was a top 30ish quarterback in the country at a school that needs a top 5ish quarterback to accomplish his goals. His decision making and play also stayed pretty stagnant during the season, which was concerning, and I think is the big reason he wasn’t the guaranteed starter for next year, and ultimately left. It’ll be interesting to see where he ends up - the early things I’ve heard are Miami, Maryland, Indiana, Syracuse with the new staff, or Louisville with Brohm.
Is the situation entirely different if McCord's last pass--was he hit or just hurried?--is completed to Harrison?

I agree McCord sometimes looked hesitant, but he got steadily better from the opener in Indiana until the Michigan game. Aside from the first interception, I thought he played very well in Ann Arbor until that last pass. I know that might seem like saying the Titanic was the perfect ocean liner until it hit the iceberg. Still, I think OSU lost to Michigan because of some decisions Day made and because the defense couldn't stop Michigan in the long drive. And maybe if the clear case of offensive pass interference on the third down had been called against Michigan, we'd be having a different conversation.

Does anyone have the heights and weight for the starting lineup for st joes
The Trib often comes out with a good preview showing starters and vitals. Or, go old school viewing video then matching numbers with what you can find on Hucks Page, Max, SJP website, etc.
Read newspaper/online game reviews to know the team and get starters and of course preseason articles. You can find it but it can be a lot of work when not readily available.
PS, what's NA's starting line up?

The Trib often comes out with a good preview showing starters and vitals. Or, go old school viewing video then matching numbers with what you can find on Hucks Page, Max, SJP website, etc.
Read newspaper/online game reviews to know the team and get starters and of course preseason articles. You can find it but it can be a lot of work when not readily available.
PS, what's NA's starting line up?
Offense:
QB- Sr. Logan Kushner, 5’10 170
HB- Sr. Tyree Alualu, 6’0 215
RB- Sr. Aidan Buggey, 6’0 215
TE- Sr. Daniel Sellers, 6’3 220
WR- Sr. Khiryn Boyd, 5’11 160
WR- Jr. Brady Meyer, 5’11 175
RT- Jr. Jack Yatchenko, 6’3 280
RG- So. Lincoln Hoke, 6’1 250
C- Sr. Ryan Ranallo, 6’0 250
LG- Sr. Joseph Booth, 5’8 240
LT- Sr. Cameron Chmura, 6’3 290

Defense:
DE- Sr. Aidan Buggey, 6’0 215
DE- Sr. Daniel Sellers, 6’3 220
DT- Sr. Cameron Chmura, 6’3 290
DT- Jr. Jack Yatchenko, 6’3 280
OLB- Jr. Liam Flaherty, 6’0 195
OLB- Jr. Dylan Langdon, 6’1 180
MLB- Sr. Tyree Alualu, 6’0 215
CB- Sr. Khiryn Boyd, 5’11 160
CB- Sr. Campbell Melzer, 6’0 180
S- Sr. Evan Lyon 6’1 170
S- Jr. Connor Frank 5’11 165

Offense:

Defense:
S- Sr. Evan Lyon 6’1 170
I’m old school I don’t care bout measurables. No knock on you.

Offense:

Defense:
S- Sr. Evan Lyon 6’1 170
Wait is this accurate? If so there’s a bigger issue you should be concerned with quite honestly.

Offense:

Defense:
S- Sr. Evan Lyon 6’1 170
Thanks NA. I had LT at RT. You feeling any better about Tigers chances after a pretty solid performance against Harrisburg?

Thanks NA. I had LT at RT. You feeling any better about Tigers chances after a pretty solid performance against Harrisburg?
I would have preferred a larger margin of victory, but it was a solid win nonetheless. My way too early prediction next year is Harrisburg vs SJP

You have a good size roster why would you only go 20 deep.
The talent level drops pretty considerably after the top kids. Luckily NAs seems to be healthy going into the game. The game will depend on if NA can run the ball and that's an extremely tough task against sjp front 7. NA can pass when need be but thier pass is set it up by their run game. If they are forced to heave it around the field all game the game can get out of hand.

The talent level drops pretty considerably after the top kids. Luckily NAs seems to be healthy going into the game. The game will depend on if NA can run the ball and that's an extremely tough task against sjp front 7. NA can pass when need be but thier pass is set it up by their run game. If they are forced to heave it around the field all game the game can get out of hand.
I think it’ll be close. NA will need to run plus stop the run. SJP’s last 3 opponents played a lot of key guys both ways. They’ll pressure you on one side. Lebo did too 2 years back so it’s possible.

Does anyone have the heights and weight for the starting lineup for st joes
So this might not be perfect, and SJP guys can correct me wherever but this is what I came up with. They don't have a listed depth chart anywhere, so I used some articles to put together the offense (particuarly where offensive linemen play) and then the stats on EasternPAFootball, where I took their leading tacklers and plugged them into their positions on defense, so that might not be totally accurate. But here's the lineup I've got:

QB: Samaj Jones (Sr. 6’1 210; Cincinnati)
RB: Isaiah West (Jr. 6’0 215; Wisconsin/Kentucky offer)
RB: Kahseim Phillips (Sr. 5’9 190; Towson)
RB: Erik Sanchez (Sr. 5’11 190; Temple offer)
WR: David Washington (Sr. 6’0 185; Kentucky)
WR: Brandon Rehmann (Sr. 6’0 185; West Virginia)
WR: Elijah Jones (Sr. 5’11 190; Cincinnati)
TE: Denzel Felder (Sr. 6’2 230)
LT: Kevin Towns (Sr. 6’4 290; Fordham offer)
LG: John Paul Schrieber (Sr. 6’3 280)
C: Lakeem Steele (Sr. 6’2 300; Merrimack)
RG: Christian Leonard (Jr. 6’5 310; Kentucky, Syracuse, UConn interest)
RT: Shane Toolan (Sr. 6’4 250; Temple offer)
::::::
LT: Khalil Stewart (Jr. 6’5 310; Penn State, Maryland, Kentucky offers). --> they moved Schrieber from tackle to guard, Toolan from tight end to tackle, and plugged in Felder at tight end to. account for no Stewart.

DE: Alex Haskell (So. 6’4 240; Penn State/West Virginia offers)
DT: Maxwell Roy (Jr. 6’4 270; Georgia/Michigan offers)
DT: Ivan Bailey-Greene (Sr. 5’10 250)
DE: Sean McNulty (Sr. 6’2 225)
LB: Cameron Smith (Jr. 6’1 195; Penn State/Michigan/Rutgers offers)
LB: Anthony Sacca (Jr. 6’4 220; Georgia/Ohio State/Penn State offers)
LB: Nick McGlynn (Sr. 6’2 225; Army)
DB: Omillio Agaard (Sr. 5’11 160; Wisconsin)
DB: Shamir Johnson (Sr. 6’0 170; Maryland offer)
DB: Ryan McDonald (Jr. 6’0 180)
DB: Brandon Lockley (Fr. 6'1 210)

I think it’ll be close. NA will need to run plus stop the run. SJP’s last 3 opponents played a lot of key guys both ways. They’ll pressure you on one side. Lebo did too 2 years back so it’s possible.
NA will definitely be the best opponent preps played this year that's not img. I think NA might be able to keep it close until the half but eventually St joes depth will wear them down. I think the keys to beating prep is good D line with great edge pass rushers and great linebackers. Preps blocked a lot of punts this year so special teams could be key.

So this might not be perfect, and SJP guys can correct me wherever but this is what I came up with. They don't have a listed depth chart anywhere, so I used some articles to put together the offense (particuarly where offensive linemen play) and then the stats on EasternPAFootball, where I took their leading tacklers and plugged them into their positions on defense, so that might not be totally accurate. But here's the lineup I've got:

QB: Samaj Jones (Sr. 6’1 210; Cincinnati)
RB: Isaiah West (Jr. 6’0 215; Wisconsin/Kentucky offer)
RB: Kahseim Phillips (Sr. 5’9 190; Towson)
RB: Erik Sanchez (Sr. 5’11 190; Temple offer)
WR: David Washington (Sr. 6’0 185; Kentucky)
WR: Brandon Rehmann (Sr. 6’0 185; West Virginia)
WR: Elijah Jones (Sr. 5’11 190; Cincinnati)
TE: Denzel Felder (Sr. 6’2 230)
LT: Kevin Towns (Sr. 6’4 290; Fordham offer)
LG: John Paul Schrieber (Sr. 6’3 280)
C: Lakeem Steele (Sr. 6’2 300; Merrimack)
RG: Christian Leonard (Jr. 6’5 310; Kentucky, Syracuse, UConn interest)
RT: Shane Toolan (Sr. 6’4 250; Temple offer)
::::::
LT: Khalil Stewart (Jr. 6’5 310; Penn State, Maryland, Kentucky offers). --> they moved Schrieber from tackle to guard, Toolan from tight end to tackle, and plugged in Felder at tight end to. account for no Stewart.

DE: Alex Haskell (So. 6’4 240; Penn State/West Virginia offers)
DT: Maxwell Roy (Jr. 6’4 270; Georgia/Michigan offers)
DT: Ivan Bailey-Greene (Sr. 5’10 250)
DE: Sean McNulty (Sr. 6’2 225)
LB: Cameron Smith (Jr. 6’1 195; Penn State/Michigan/Rutgers offers)
LB: Anthony Sacca (Jr. 6’4 220; Georgia/Ohio State/Penn State offers)
LB: Nick McGlynn (Sr. 6’2 225; Army)
DB: Omillio Agaard (Sr. 5’11 160; Wisconsin)
DB: Shamir Johnson (Sr. 6’0 170; Maryland offer)
DB: Ryan McDonald (Jr. 6’0 180)
DB: Brandon Lockley (Fr. 6'1 210)
That's a lot of talent. I thought the 19 or 20 sjp team was their best team but this one's better. They keep getting better and better. If NA pulls this off this would be the biggest upset in the history of the tournament.

NA will definitely be the best opponent preps played this year that's not img. I think NA might be able to keep it close until the half but eventually St joes depth will wear them down. I think the keys to beating prep is good D line with great edge pass rushers and great linebackers. Preps blocked a lot of punts this year so special teams could be key.
Debatable. Lakeland (Florida) was really good. Spalding who played imhotep to the whistle was really good.

I think NA will need to run and stop the run. Easier said than done. You’ll need to stop the run with 7 or 8 guys. Where we got in trouble, if they catch you using 8 they’ll make you pay. I thought Harrisburg last yr was a highly athletic team. They tried to stack the box after giving up the early score and those wrs took over.

Reactions: bucksftball
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT