ADVERTISEMENT

PIne-Richland 2022

You have been following this story more than anyone else. I follow the official WPIAL newspaper the TribLive obviously, and there has been nothing reported in months about Eric Kasperowicz coming back, just that Campos resigned. I know you have been friends with Eric Kasperowicz for almost 30 years, but no other sports writer has been covering this, most likely for a reason. This forum gives you the opportunity to print rumors and wishful thinking, but if Eric Kasperowicz had a chance to come back, I think it would be reported in all the papers, Chris Harlan, George Guido, Don Rebel would be all over that news, it may even make the evening news. With none of that happening, it makes me think their are some very real concerns with re-hiring Eric Kasperowicz, mainly the ones I have previously stated, the Improvement Plan is a huge warning.

I have seen coaches get fired and rehired at other schools. I have never seen a coach fired and rehired at same the same school. Especially with the litigious society we live in today. One wrong move, a wrong look, is all a family may be waiting for to sue the Pine-Richland SD if Eric Kasperowicz is rehired.

Have you ever seen a coach come back after being fired when on an Improvement Plan?

I see either Ed Malinoski or Ryan Lehmeir getting the job. Enough distance from the chaos of Eric Kasperowicz, but potentially just as good as a Head Coach IMO.
https://old.post-gazette.com/sports_headlines/20000502mccurry3.asp Check up on your history buddy

Who’s concerned? The new school board that’s in his back pocket? Miller, lyons and the whole Sesame Street gang can cry all they want, their holding a fistful of sand right now.

Reactions: new2pa
https://old.post-gazette.com/sports_headlines/20000502mccurry3.asp Check up on your history buddy

Who’s concerned? The new school board that’s in his back pocket? Miller, lyons and the whole Sesame Street gang can cry all they want, their holding a fistful of sand right now.
Was Jack McCurry on an Improvement Plan?
That seems to be the major issue with Eric Kasperowicz being rehired. I’m not saying it won’t happen. I don’t care. I just have never seen anyone recover from being fired while on an Improvement Plan. There’s usually a lot of evidence required to even be put on an Improvement Plan. Getting rehired would make for another coaching survival story for sure. Best of luck.

Was Jack McCurry on an Improvement Plan?
That seems to be the major issue with Eric Kasperowicz being rehired. I’m not saying it won’t happen. I don’t care. I just have never seen anyone recover from being fired while on an Improvement Plan. There’s usually a lot of evidence required to even be put on an Improvement Plan. Getting rehired would make for another coaching survival story for sure. Best of luck.

Here's my question. Do you really think you are going to be right?

Myself, Jacky, and others have been reporting on P-R for ages and usually are dead on. Seems like we have been dead on so far. Why would we believe you.

Enjoy your win this year vs. P-R, I can't see Coach K losing to his alma mater again. LoL

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Trib: My understand he already came back from the PiP. I’ll look it up, but I am pretty sure that was 2018 for arecruiting thing.

Stalk: NA made some progress early in the year opening it up (spread 3/4 WR looks) but by the end of the year they were back to single wing. From my look, they seemed very “artificial” trying to run the spread. They knew what the plays should be but looked “stiff” executing them. The big rumor at Na is the OL coach is retiring. That could cause walker to look outside the program for new blood. We will see.

PCC is heading in the right direction. On offense I think. Saw them livestream and on TV in the finals and while young on O, they are embracing the PR stuff Jochem took with him there. A lot of work to do in the pass game, but the rest of the structure looks like it’s improving. In the other hand, it was the worst D from a PCC team I’ve ever seen. Big rumor with pCC is that Coach Totten has some health issues and may be retiring soon. That job could be a powerhouse.

I commented in another thread - we can talk all we want about the talent SJP has, but their coaching is also way better than most teams. As we saw this year at PR, that matters.
New, it is apparent PCC and PR are the early favs out of the district in respective classes?

Yes, I would say so. I would currently rank them as:

1. P-R: OL should return 4 starters and they have 2 WR's back as well. QB will be a question mark. Palmieiri filled in well but he's more of an all around player. Coach K's son is the other kid in the mix for that position. On defense, they return a couple at each level and should be solid. Key on board sides of the ball is if Kerns can return.

2. P-H: Return Duggar at QB and have bee playing young kids for 2 years now. They could make a run. Their defense will always be solid with Coach LeDonne, but offensively, they need to improve.

3. Aliquippa: They may be in the top 2. I don't know much about personnel besides what I see on twitter, but I think they will be competitive.

The next group after these should be:

4: Penn-Trafford: Will reload and be solid.
5. Moon: Sorta the same sort of situation as P-R and PT - he's building a program out there.
6. Peters: They have a great group of freshman coming up. Not sure many will play, but perhaps that group can get Peters over the hump.

In 6A, I think initially it will be:

1. PCC: Offense should be very good particularly if Jochem stays. Played sophomore QB 16/2 TD/Int and 2 sophomore WR's. Return 4 starting OL as well. Need to replace RB. Defense needs to be much better IMO. They will have Speca back after shoulder surgery, but lose a lot in the secondary.

2. Seneca Valley: This should be their year. Injury to QB hurt Lehmeier and Sasson's chances this year wrt installing better offense, but he will be back along with 8 or 9 others on offense. Defense is sound. They just need to find kids who can make plays consistently against talented teams in order to get over the hump. If Lehmeier and Sasson go back to P-R, then all bets are off.

3. Lebo: I think Coach Palko has those kids (and parents) believing. He had a special senior class this past year that showed the way. Have a few kids on O and D back, but need to find playmakers. But all the kids in the program will have been in the system for 4 years now, so I look for them to be good again.

4. NA: I've been down on NA. Have never really done anything since I've been here. Bad luck with their good teams matching up against PCC and P-R's great teams, but they have clearly taken a step back. The first thing they need to do is figure our what kind of offense they are going to run, then find a QB. Plenty of athletes on the outside. Also, their OL - which I thought used to be best part of team needs to improve a lot - mainly speaking of the type of kid. Can't play kids that a 5'10" 235 at G and expect to win in this conference. Will be interesting with OL coach possibly retiring. On defense, they are solid and fly around - I think that will remain a strength of the team. Weird speculation I heard over the holiday - is Coach Walker thinking about retiring? I know he has a kid or two that should be about HS age - but don't play football.

Yes, I would say so. I would currently rank them as:

1. P-R: OL should return 4 starters and they have 2 WR's back as well. QB will be a question mark. Palmieiri filled in well but he's more of an all around player. Coach K's son is the other kid in the mix for that position. On defense, they return a couple at each level and should be solid. Key on board sides of the ball is if Kerns can return.

2. P-H: Return Duggar at QB and have bee playing young kids for 2 years now. They could make a run. Their defense will always be solid with Coach LeDonne, but offensively, they need to improve.

3. Aliquippa: They may be in the top 2. I don't know much about personnel besides what I see on twitter, but I think they will be competitive.

The next group after these should be:

4: Penn-Trafford: Will reload and be solid.
5. Moon: Sorta the same sort of situation as P-R and PT - he's building a program out there.
6. Peters: They have a great group of freshman coming up. Not sure many will play, but perhaps that group can get Peters over the hump.

In 6A, I think initially it will be:

1. PCC: Offense should be very good particularly if Jochem stays. Played sophomore QB 16/2 TD/Int and 2 sophomore WR's. Return 4 starting OL as well. Need to replace RB. Defense needs to be much better IMO. They will have Speca back after shoulder surgery, but lose a lot in the secondary.

2. Seneca Valley: This should be their year. Injury to QB hurt Lehmeier and Sasson's chances this year wrt installing better offense, but he will be back along with 8 or 9 others on offense. Defense is sound. They just need to find kids who can make plays consistently against talented teams in order to get over the hump. If Lehmeier and Sasson go back to P-R, then all bets are off.

3. Lebo: I think Coach Palko has those kids (and parents) believing. He had a special senior class this past year that showed the way. Have a few kids on O and D back, but need to find playmakers. But all the kids in the program will have been in the system for 4 years now, so I look for them to be good again.

4. NA: I've been down on NA. Have never really done anything since I've been here. Bad luck with their good teams matching up against PCC and P-R's great teams, but they have clearly taken a step back. The first thing they need to do is figure our what kind of offense they are going to run, then find a QB. Plenty of athletes on the outside. Also, their OL - which I thought used to be best part of team needs to improve a lot - mainly speaking of the type of kid. Can't play kids that a 5'10" 235 at G and expect to win in this conference. Will be interesting with OL coach possibly retiring. On defense, they are solid and fly around - I think that will remain a strength of the team. Weird speculation I heard over the holiday - is Coach Walker thinking about retiring? I know he has a kid or two that should be about HS age - but don't play football.
6A- Not sure how the enrollment is affecting folks across the state- but man, only 5 teams in WPIAL 6A, not a big deal to "win it." But I see Lebo has got to be the favorite great coaching staff and returning state champ. PCC has talent, but Jochem is unlikely to return, and I believe their O-line coach resigned- so maybe unstable coaching staff. Not sure about Seneca- sadly, 3rd place is kinda meaningless- 5 teams might have to play each 2 or 3 times?

5A- New- phew... I'm a PR guy, but I do not see PR as the "favorite" in D7/WPIAL. Again, gotta give some mention to the returning state champ- Penn Trafford has a good stable coaching staff, and a handful of great players returning- Enik, Greene, Tarabrella- just off top of my head. I see them, maybe similar to 2018 PR. I see Penn Hills and PT as top two.

PR- no, sadly, maybe make semi, so maybe #4 at best, but i would be very surprised to see them in final, even w coaching- 5A is gonna be a dogfight. no matter who the new HC is, even if some of "old staff" comes back- they have to rebuild the program- too much damage done last year, not enough coaching. Upcoming seniors have a had a rough road- most of the kids had two years, kinda "neglected" in 20, due to covid, the non-varsity group was very "separate" and due to the title run, they kids and staff were very strict- and this year- the rumor is many kids and parents who were "just JV" were often ignored during practices- like not enough reps.

PR Talent? eesh, for PR, some of those "starters" would not have played much on the '20 team- IMO only one "stud" returning, Cory, OL/DL, might be the only FBS-level talent on the team next year. Palmieri- yes talented, but had a screwed up year, due to bad coaching. All off season, he was gonna be a defensive starter, and 2nd team RB. B/c they did not have a solid #2, they had to start him at QB, and did not dev at RB. Kerns- sadly, terrible knee injury, still recovering. will miss off-season, may not even be ready to start in August.

Reactions: Stalker and new2pa
2020: I did not know all that about PCC. Its seem open knowledge around town Jochem will come back to P-R if Coach K comes back, but PCC losing their OL coach is something I did not know. They looked to me like they were making really good progress to a more open offense by the end if this year with some really young kids. If Jochem and the OL coach both leave, that is not good from them. I'm still not fully convinced Lebo has the kids coming up to win back to back, but they do have a Program. SV remains SV.

Regarding P-R, I'm very bullish on the OL of Carrigan (my prediction), Graham, Kerns, Cory, Beam. Depends a lot on Kerns being healthy, but those are 4 seniors and great junior. The center through right side reminds me a little of Dorundo, Katic, Kristofic from 2017/18. If they get a capable OL coach (Sasson) they will be great. I actually think that P-R could look a lot like 2018 with very good line and average/young skill. I do think that senior Beam and Cory could have played LT and LG for the 2020 team.

(I think though - keep in mind that the 2020 team was really, really good. Like top 10 WPIAL good so comparisons there are tough. Having said that, I don't think any of the next 2-3-4-10 years of P-R teams have a shot to be anywhere close to as good as the 2017/2020 teams. Just don't have the players - up front and outside.)

If Coach K's kid can play at all at QB, I would be very surprised to see Palmieri at QB. He needs to play both ways (RB/WR/S) and they have never done that with a QB since I've been watching.

Your comment about the JV kids not getting practice reps is something I hadn't thought about and dead on. I always thought that them having varsity coaches coach the 9-12 graders in split practices was a great idea in terms of developing the techniques and culture of the program. For good reasons that was gone in 2020 - and for bad reasons that wasn't there this year. A lot of those kids are going to need to step up - particularly skill - and sounds like they didn't get a ton of reps. And their best 10th grader - Klemm - who played CB - may now be moving away with his Dad getting the Oregon OL job.

Bottom line to me - I'm still a huge P-R homer, but your comments about rebuilding the program in a year hit home. It will be hard. I think their OL/DL will be very good, but I don't see playmakers on the outside like Jochem/Falcone/Merhaut/Gaston or at LB like Leiberman/King/Cerminara/Miller/Hasley or in the secondary like Burnham/White/Wentz/Meckler/Neill. Those skill guys were all tall, long athletes and were the best at their positions at P-R and among best in state in their years. And who's going to be next in the DiNucci/Jurkovec/Spencer lineage - those are the guys P-R was known for.

The skill guys I've seen now look a little shorter and thicker legged. But, I've been a bit farther away from the program this past year, so maybe I'm wrong. Fingers crossed.

PR guys, any movement on this front? Fascinating story. Any word if Coach K has applied? Any candidates yet? Thanks and happy new year.

Nothing yet. I heard over the new year he applied but have not been able to confirm that.

The biggest rumor is that he’s going to get a Pitt coaching job - have heard that from a ton of people - but also haven’t heard anything close to definite on that. Pitt needs an OC and WR coach. Unless someone else quits, they have no more open coaching positions.

Nothing yet. I heard over the new year he applied but have not been able to confirm that.

The biggest rumor is that he’s going to get a Pitt coaching job - have heard that from a ton of people - but also haven’t heard anything close to definite on that. Pitt needs an OC and WR coach. Unless someone else quits, they have no more open coaching positions.
Yes, the Pitt situation will greatly affect Kasper's plan. Yes, he has told some people he might return- but If he gets a Pitt job, he would be crazy not to take it. If he climbed the "coaching ladder" he could be a college coordinator in 5 years- by that time 2 of his kids would be out of high school, and he could move anywhere in the country. My best guess, is one of the previous assistants might get head PR job, Kasper might be "volunteer assistant" so he can coach his son. Still- not sure any of those guys will want to come back. Still painful memories, what the leadership of PR did. STILL no real stories have come out, no "hidden story" about the alleged hazing in the program. Either way, most likely the process will be decided by Jan 17, thats the board mtg day. So ridiculous- last spring, they had no coach from April to June, now they AGAIN, have NO HEAD coach- oh, and from July to October, PR DID NOT EVEN HAVE AN ATHLETIC DIRECTOR. The last 10 months has really screwed up the program, and will continue to screw the program, every week that goes by, with no HC in place.

Guys is there a WPIAL vs Everyone this coming season? Be nice, although I don't think PR would want to play Harrisburg again ;) given they're all back and all grown up now.
Dist-3 typically beat the crap out of each other with everyone playing everyone (Mid Penn vs York vs Lan-Leb, etc) but that was a good concept of Wpial taking on all comers in inter district games. Shows pride and good for the players to see new systems.

I'm sure their will be a WPIAL vs. Everyone. But, I would love to see it moved from Woody though. The Wolverina is iconic, but, well, a little bit worn down with very poor parking.

Reactions: Stalker
Here's my question. Do you really think you are going to be right?

Myself, Jacky, and others have been reporting on P-R for ages and usually are dead on. Seems like we have been dead on so far. Why would we believe you.

Enjoy your win this year vs. P-R, I can't see Coach K losing to his alma mater again. LoL

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
No idea if I am right. I do not care. If Eric Kasperowicz is the best for the job then so be it. I believe you are really into this story for sure. I have only spoken to two former school board members from another area and they told me and Improvement Plan is a very serious matter, it is the last contract a teacher or a coach is put on before being fired.
I could see him doing what Chris Haering did at Mt. Lebo when he left his HC job to go with Cryst.

Last edited:
STILL no real stories have come out, no "hidden story" about the alleged hazing in the program

This is one of the reasons I don't believe a single iota of the "hazing" allegations. There was not a single current or former player who came forward with any allegations of out of control hazing. None. Not a single parent has come forward. It's all just very nebulous and generalized allegations from administrators who clearly loathed Kasperowicz and the football program and were willing to do anything to get rid of him. I think someone admitted snapping someone with a towel... that's actually the biggest offense I have seen. Wow.

The PR administration just can't stand successful sports teams. Completely under the radar was the way they forced out long time girls soccer coach Jodi Chmielewski. 20 years. The PR girls soccer program was enormously successful. But they forced her resignation and look at what has happened to their program the last 2 years. The quality of the program has taken a significant nosedive into mediocrity.

STILL no real stories have come out, no "hidden story" about the alleged hazing in the program

This is one of the reasons I don't believe a single iota of the "hazing" allegations. There was not a single current or former player who came forward with any allegations of out of control hazing. None. Not a single parent has come forward. It's all just very nebulous and generalized allegations from administrators who clearly loathed Kasperowicz and the football program and were willing to do anything to get rid of him. I think someone admitted snapping someone with a towel... that's actually the biggest offense I have seen. Wow.

The PR administration just can't stand successful sports teams. Completely under the radar was the way they forced out long time girls soccer coach Jodi Chmielewski. 20 years. The PR girls soccer program was enormously successful. But they forced her resignation and look at what has happened to their program the last 2 years. The quality of the program has taken a significant nosedive into mediocrity.
Well said aerogenes. Some of us still believe in innocence until proven guilty.

P-R school board and admin are now embroiled in a huge student masking issue - parents, teachers, admin, unions, political parties, etc. Its getting contentious. I hope the football stuff actually gets taken care of in a timely manner.

yes, aerogenes, agreed- I believe softball or vball may not have had a coach for a long time? And, boys basketball- what 3 coaches in like 5 years- yea, not sure, many problems, I could go on and on

It's an issue of power

And- to the issue of "hazing." As i have said in previous posts, sadly there were a few problems this year w "conduct and hazing." Not a widespread problem, not a "program problem" but there were a few STUDENT problems, not caused by the coaches.

Sure seems like "previous" Board and current Super do not like coaches with "perceived power and influence" and certainly not ones who "speak up"

New- yes, lots of issues going on, but they gotta hire somebody!!

Not sure if you are covering this Mike, I'm too cheap to pay for the online subscription to the PPG, but could Dan Bradley from OLSH be a candidate? It says he is pursing other coaching jobs. He has a great coaching record and lives in the North Hills.

Coach Bradley could apply.

edit: Being reported elsewhere he's going to Elwood City.

Last edited:
Bad News for Pr Football... apparently Mars School District is opening their staff- Mars was a possible "landing spot" for the PR Staff last year. Very possible, they are trying to "get the staff" to go to Mars. Good chance that will happen, at least "some of the PR coaches" will go there, just not sure how many. Stupid leadership of PR. and if this happens, Mars will competing for WPIAL title in 2-3 years. Mars HS is like 3 miles from PR HS, so it will be close to all of the guys who got FIRED from PR

And- PR- the leadership is getting buried in other stuff, like masking and diversity policies, filling the HC job, already a lower priority

Trib- I agree- possible that either Malinowski or Leimeir could have been HC of PR- but Mal works at Mars already, so all those guys might all end up there in the next two months. PR, Mars, and Seneca all "border each other" so the guys at Seneca- kinda an easy "move" over to Mars.

Stupid idiot friggin leadership of PR

Losing Coach Mal would be huge loss. He was the guy behind their off-season program which was excellent according to everything I ever heard. Also coached WR’s who were always among the best.

Losing Coach Mal would be huge loss. He was the guy behind their off-season program which was excellent according to everything I ever heard. Also coached WR’s who were always among the best.
PR already "lost Coach Mal." Last summer, some of the other coaches applied at Mars, they were almost approved, but Mars did not pull the trigger, but now, most of them, or ALL of them all, could join Coach Mal

Is Heinauer still the AD at Mars? Just being forced out as football coach?

From the article:

“He is also the school’s athletic director, a position that isn’t in question.”

That’s doesn’t seem like a great situation. The new football coach’s boss is the old football coach that the board removed.

The politics in the WPIAL are incredible. I am not sure how anyone remains coaching these days.

Is Malinoski is the leading candidate for Mars HC?

Coach Bradley could apply.

edit: Being reported elsewhere he's going to Elwood City.
I thought he would have been great hire. An outsider, not involved in the drama, a winning record and experience.

Never thought Ellwood City would be that appealing.

Heard over the weekend that Coach K and Coach LeDonne from Penn Hills are the two most credible candidates that had applied. May be more by now.

Reactions: HSFB99
I still have heard nothing about Coach K, besides from the media about him dropping the lawsuit.

I don’t think this is a good development because the folks I talk with usually get info quickly.

Perhaps Trib and other are correct and I am wrong. I’m starting to have doubts.

Doubts about him coming back? He has interviewed already though. Are there any more names besides LeDonne and some of the former staff members under Coach K?

Yes, doubts on him coming back. And I’ve not really even been able to solidly confirm any interview besides Coach LeDonne. No idea on other former staff members interviewing. Oddly, strangely quiet.

I think Coach K is moving on honestly. I'm guessing the hassle isn't worth it. LeDonne would be a homerun hire IMO. It seems like a natural fit considering that he lives in the area. However, Penn Hills is no bottom-feeder of a program. We have seen what he can do with talent and his tenure at Shaler does not show who he really is. I'd be up for South Fayette's coach coming here if it's not LeDonne.

I think Coach K is moving on honestly. I'm guessing the hassle isn't worth it. LeDonne would be a homerun hire IMO. It seems like a natural fit considering that he lives in the area. However, Penn Hills is no bottom-feeder of a program. We have seen what he can do with talent and his tenure at Shaler does not show who he really is. I'd be up for South Fayette's coach coming here if it's not LeDonne.
Yes, most likely Kasper moving on- and yes, not "looking good" for the future of the PR program. Rumor is they interviewed a couple real idiots. At this point I would be surprised if LeDonne is the coach a month from now. It's a sad joke

2020 - are you hearing LeDonne will or will not be the new coach?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT