ADVERTISEMENT

PIne-Richland 2022

The paper said he was planning on bringing most of his assistants.

I just gotta throw this out- makes no sense- LeDonne interviewed last spring, and was NOT hired. Makes no sense, why now? Also, makes my head spin, IF he was at PR last year, the team would have gone further, without a doubt, might have challenged for state title again. Yes, woulda coudla shoulda, but the whole situation is just so bizarre. Most of the "admin" at PR- Super, Assist Super, HR and "the school attorneys" are still the same people

AND- LeDonne was officially "reprimanded" by the WPIAL 3 years ago, Kasper and previous staff were NEVER officially reprimanded by PIAA or WPIAL- again, makes no sense.

and assistants- my best guess is maybe 1-2 current guys, 1-2 "previous staff" and maybe 3-5 Penn Hills guys. Most likely, not all of the Penn Hills guys will want to coach the soft pampered PR kids

Reactions: new2pa
I had not thought about that angle at all. And it is weird.

Agree on assistants.

At the end of the day, you had an AD that came i, did the dirty work and scampered away. The School Board change forced the Administration's hand into doing the hiring process not waiting until the 11th hour.

The bigger question is why did Coach K drop his lawsuit, an earlier post pointed out the question of who would hire someone with an impending lawsuit with their former employee? Along those same lines, employees contracts are not renewed all the time, no need for explanation regardless of what is demanded.

Reactions: JACKY6996
I just gotta throw this out- makes no sense- LeDonne interviewed last spring, and was NOT hired. Makes no sense, why now? Also, makes my head spin, IF he was at PR last year, the team would have gone further, without a doubt, might have challenged for state title again. Yes, woulda coudla shoulda, but the whole situation is just so bizarre. Most of the "admin" at PR- Super, Assist Super, HR and "the school attorneys" are still the same people

AND- LeDonne was officially "reprimanded" by the WPIAL 3 years ago, Kasper and previous staff were NEVER officially reprimanded by PIAA or WPIAL- again, makes no sense.

and assistants- my best guess is maybe 1-2 current guys, 1-2 "previous staff" and maybe 3-5 Penn Hills guys. Most likely, not all of the Penn Hills guys will want to coach the soft pampered PR kids
2020, I'm not following you. You say under LeDonne "might have challenged for a state title again" (were he the coach). Then you mention "Most likely, not all of the Penn Hill guys will want to coach the soft pampered PR kids".
Soft, pampered kids can win a state title?
Not firing at you, just trying to understand your view on the topic.

If P-R kids are soft and pampered, I know about 400 programs in PA that would kill for a State Championship with soft and pampered!

I believe you mean the parents of PR not the actual players are actually soft. For the most part the players themselves want to work and are dedicated to the sport.

However, there is a bit of entitlement culture at PR coupled with the stigma of "Daddy Ball" that needed to be erased.

I believe you mean the parents of PR not the actual players are actually soft. For the most part the players themselves want to work and are dedicated to the sport.

However, there is a bit of entitlement culture at PR coupled with the stigma of "Daddy Ball" that needed to be erased.
prfb- yes, but the "daddy ball" has been creeping back, already!!

stalker- no worries- no offense taken- my point is YES, many of the kids are soft, not all, but many, the old staff hit the balance perfect, pushing the kids just far enough for success- the current staff, no, any parent of 2021 kids knows, the current staff was not tough on kids.

The take home point i am making, is the whole reason, if u take away all the other chatter, is the old staff was tough on kids. That got them pushed out. LeDonne will be tough on kids- and some of the Penn Hills guys may not want to coach at PR

Coach K and his group had a way of having most players engaged in the whole process from winter workouts to season practices. The key was providing an environment that everyone got to work through the process, everybody learned. There were enough coaches to work with the players on both sides of the ball during individual and team, always coaching technique and "ENGAGED".

Politics aside, most players would say they had a good experience playing for PR. There are always exceptions though.

The commitment to coach at PR goes well beyond the game due to the lack of overall team talent. The players need the reps of system to overcome the physical hurdles they may face, hence why tempo and spread work best.

It will be interesting on the assistant coaches that are hired and if they can get the same off season workout program implemented.

I'm not sure I agree with the lack of overall team talent comment (certainly not in the WPIAL, but when compared to teams like SJP yes), but do agree that tempo and spread was the reason P-R got on the map in 2014 while being overmatched (besides the future NFL QB). I also agree that a huge reason P-R succeeded was getting kids tons of reps with tons of coaches who knew what they were doing and completely bought in.

This is well put, parents may be.

With that being said, the overwhelming majority of parents didn't get Coach K fired. It was 1 or 2, and an opportunistic admin and board IMO. But now he's gone and its over. Coach LeDonne needs to convince those same parents to allow him to coach his way.

Coming full circle, I think Coach LeDonne's biggest problem living up to recent expectations (competing for state championships) is going to be talent. Consider that P-R has graduated an NFL QB, a future NFL QB, possibly two future NFL lineman, a FCS Freshman all-american, and the leading sack, receptions, and top 3 tackling leaders, AND another QB who broke the first two's records... I just don't see that kind of talent, particularly at the skill positions. Corey and Beam have a chance on the OL to be VERY good. But after that, I'm not sure what they have that would be considered elite.

P-R also had a TON of kids who were just very good HS football players that were coached up. You need all that to win championships.

Reactions: Stalker

Penn Hills’ Jon LeDonne named new football coach at Pine-Richland High School​

Updated: Feb. 08, 2022, 11:17 a.m. | Published: Feb. 08, 2022, 11:17 a.m.
Jon LeDonne

Jon LeDonne, pictured with Penn Hills, is the new coach at Pine-Richland. Mark Pynes | mpynes@pennlive.com

By Tribune News Service
Jon LeDonne lives in the Pine-Richland School District. Now he’ll coach high school football in the district.

LeDonne was named Pine-Richland’s new coach at a school board meeting Monday night. The board voted, 9-0, in favor of LeDonne and his salary will be $10,123. LeDonne has been successful as Penn Hills’ coach the past five seasons, going 46-14 and winning WPIAL and state championships in 2018. He was the Post-Gazette coach of the year that season. His 2021 team made the WPIAL semifinals.

Before he came to Penn Hills, LeDonne was Shaler’s coach for three seasons and had a 2-27 record.

I appreciate the opportunity provided to me by @PennHillsSD and look forward to the next chapter @PRSchools pic.twitter.com/lyfOIXE5o1

At Pine-Richland, LeDonne takes over for Steve Campos, who resigned after one season. Campos took over for ErKasperowicz, who was ousted by administrators and the school board in April, despite winning four WPIAL titles and two state championships in eight years. The district alleged hazing and bullying existed in Kasperowicz’s programs, charges he denied.

Kasperowicz had hoped to possibly get his job back when Campos resigned. Kasperowicz had filed a defamation of character lawsuit against the district in the spring, but dropped the suit in January, hoping to get an interview for the job. But Kasperowicz was never interviewed by Pine-Richland.

LeDonne is a former player at Aliquippa High School and was valedictorian of his senior class and eventually earned his doctorate in engineering at Carnegie Mellon. He lives in Pine- Richland with his wife, Maggie and their three children. LeDonne’s full-time job is as an engineer.

I have not heard anything solid of anyone on Coach K staff going back. Some rumors that Coach LeDonne had talked to Coach Mal, but I don't think that's going anywhere.

Have confirmed that Admin is going to approve all new hires on a case by case basis - more or less meaning they will dictate who Coach LeDonne hires, which in my opinion rules out any of the old staff.

For the new staff, Coach LeDonne said in the paper that he was trying to bring his PH staff with them but wasn't sure who could make the commute.

Oh - I did hear one name. Mike McMahon, former NFL QB, North Allegheny Alum, Friday Night Rivals announcer and former Fox Chapel coach was offered a position on the staff, I think as OC or QB Coach.

LeDonne also has ties to PCC OC Steve Bezilla, who I think could be in the mix - but why leave PCC? Also, Max DeVinney, former player for Coach K and the OC last year should be done will college and available.

I would hope the wheels are in motion for get a near complete staff together by the end of March.

The players need structure and reps for be successful unlike the 2021 season.

I would hope the wheels are in motion for get a near complete staff together by the end of March.

The players need structure and reps for be successful unlike the 2021 season.
Yes, I would guess new staff will be in place in March. a few major things affecting this-

Hampton had an open HC job- was just filled
Mars HS HC job open- rumor is Kasper is applying there, adjacent to PR community, some of the previous staff will go there. If that happens, sadly none of the previous staff will be back.

New staff- Buches- was at PR this year, might have been the best coach, only exp guy; rumor of McMahan, and also rumor of Vince Williams, ex steeler, lives in PR; Devinney- no, likely gone, he is gonna be a student at SRU, likely gonna play football! Has several tears of eligibility left, only like 21 yrs old; then maybe rest of staff, a few Penn Hills guys.

PR board mtg on March 7- likely some guys get hired then; LeDonne will do a good job, but ridiculous and sad for old staff, probably one of best ever HS football staffs

Wait, so PR had a 20 year old offensive coordinator last year? No judgment towards the kid whatsoever (congrats to him, that’s great!), but wasn’t campos around long enough to find a slightly more experienced coordinator? A 20 year old leading an offense that may have been the most prolific and innovative in the state over the last 5+ years? Sort of shocking.

HSFB - You are correct. Its a little fuzzy now, but Campos was trying to do it and gave up after the DC quit just before the season.

Yes, I would guess new staff will be in place in March. a few major things affecting this-

Hampton had an open HC job- was just filled
Mars HS HC job open- rumor is Kasper is applying there, adjacent to PR community, some of the previous staff will go there. If that happens, sadly none of the previous staff will be back.

New staff- Buches- was at PR this year, might have been the best coach, only exp guy; rumor of McMahan, and also rumor of Vince Williams, ex steeler, lives in PR; Devinney- no, likely gone, he is gonna be a student at SRU, likely gonna play football! Has several tears of eligibility left, only like 21 yrs old; then maybe rest of staff, a few Penn Hills guys.

PR board mtg on March 7- likely some guys get hired then; LeDonne will do a good job, but ridiculous and sad for old staff, probably one of best ever HS football staffs

If DeVinney isn't going to run the offense, they need to find someone with experience IMO. While Penn Hill's defense under Coach LeDonne was very good, their offense has never been exceptional.

Looks like a new staff then.......the challenge is going to be getting 10-12 guys willing to put in 20-25 hours of time a week to have a successful program in a snake's liar. The staff is going to have some thick skin for sure.

P-R 2022 schedule was just tweeted. Have three 6A crossover game with traditional rivals (PCC and SV), including one with NA. Will be first time since 2019 they have played.

That is a very nice schedule especially with LeDonne getting to play at Penn Hills in Week 2. Honestly, I can see 8-1 or 7-2 if everything plays out well. PCC is obviously the toughest game on the schedule and SV, Penn Hills, Woody and NA should be good games as well. I would've loved to play Mt. Lebo though. Maybe a Week 0 game potentially?

That is a very nice schedule especially with LeDonne getting to play at Penn Hills in Week 2. Honestly, I can see 8-1 or 7-2 if everything plays out well. PCC is obviously the toughest game on the schedule and SV, Penn Hills, Woody and NA should be good games as well. I would've loved to play Mt. Lebo though. Maybe a Week 0 game potentially?
Jeez- bummer- sorry, gotta disagree, this schedule is brutal, hardly "nice." PR got three 6A teams, and 3 of the 4 best. Some 5A schools got zero 6A teams. This year is gonna be a "rebuild" for PR, these seniors will have their 3rd coach in 3 years. Worse yet, some the positions- will have their 3rd different "position coach" in 3 years. Any PR fan will tell you 2021 was a dog-fight every single game, no "gimmees." PR has no great skill returning, shaky line- some talent yes, but last year they did not have an o-line coach, at all, all year.

Sorry folks to be negative, but SV is gonna be good, Im not sure PR can beat any of the 6A teams, I would be impressed if they go 6-3 this year, maybe get near a championship in 23.

I don’t know the younger kids. Who’s gonna be great in 23?
1) It will be year two of Ledonnes system 2) two years of consistent technique work and 3) losing some of the bad info taught by Campos. Second- the 25 class, grade 10 is great, arguably this year, the best 9th grade team in the whole state- they crushed PCC. So, the 24 group- rising grade 11- key player is Cory likely power 5- best lineman at PR since Kristofic and Katic. Other core of that group will be Kerns, Pillar, Smith, Cerminara, Alexander.

Kerns will be gone in fall 23 IIRC.

Who are their best skill guys?

Kerns will be gone in fall 23 IIRC.

Who are their best skill guys?
Yep, sorry u are correct, Kerns is gonna be a senior. Best skills next year, meaning 23, will be Pillar, Hartwick, Ballouris, Johnson- couple other raw talented kids. The '25 grads, current grade 9, if they all stay, may be comparable to the 20 state champ year, as 9th graders

Wow. Did they go undefeated? 2017 and 2020 champs dominated as 9th graders. Good sign!!!!

Wow. Did they go undefeated? 2017 and 2020 champs dominated as 9th graders. Good sign!!!!
8-1, beat ECP, crushed PCC. Only blemish- NA- was winning at half, like 14-0, at NA. At half, rumor is, Walker and some varsity staff took over, yep, walked on the sideline, took over and NA won, like 20-14.

Jeez- bummer- sorry, gotta disagree, this schedule is brutal, hardly "nice." PR got three 6A teams, and 3 of the 4 best. Some 5A schools got zero 6A teams. This year is gonna be a "rebuild" for PR, these seniors will have their 3rd coach in 3 years. Worse yet, some the positions- will have their 3rd different "position coach" in 3 years. Any PR fan will tell you 2021 was a dog-fight every single game, no "gimmees." PR has no great skill returning, shaky line- some talent yes, but last year they did not have an o-line coach, at all, all year.

Sorry folks to be negative, but SV is gonna be good, Im not sure PR can beat any of the 6A teams, I would be impressed if they go 6-3 this year, maybe get near a championship in 23.
By "nice" I meant that it's great that they're getting NA back on the schedule and playing Shaler should be an easy win as always, but only four home games? When was the last time that happened?

Maybe I didn't realize that P-R lost so much, but Kiski did, Fox Chapel lost a few playmakers, and now that we have LeDonne, PH will likely be learning a new system depending on who they hire.

Yes, Central will be a tough game especially on the road. SV and NA will be good games as well, but with better coaching, shouldn't we be able to beat North Hills this year? Also, playing Woody is interesting as well. At least that's a home game.

P-R to open the season against Pickerington North, a very good Ohio team.

And, any news on assistant coaches? I have heard same names mentioned above, but nothing really confirmed.

Ledonne had problems with Penn Hills kids their championship year in 2018

kids set off fireworks before the wpial title game causing damage to the field, and I remember the Penn Hills player did a back flip after seriously injuring the Manheim Central player in the state title game

now you can argue that was outside of Ledonne's hands and that was all the kids fault, but if they fired Kasper because they believe he allowed hazing or not giving the kids proper discipline, then I don't see how they can think Ledonne is their guy

Not hearing or seeing much on LeDonne's staff......

Any news?
Well, all the info is posted on PR website, 15 names, 16 including Ledonne. Every single guy is "new." Anyone can mostly figure stuff out w 10 minutes of google.

A few of them are PH guys, a couple were at PR in different spots previously. A couple guys were middle school previously, I think 2 total, from Campos staff will stay, but new "coaching assignments." I think I count 9 of 16 are "brand new" including LeDonne. That is a heck of a lot of change. Like I said in a previous year, this year is gonna be a "rebuild" and PR might be good next year, in 23... iMO.

Nice...as of noon today nothing was out there on the PR website including the names to be hired.

It will be interesting to see how it all comes together now.

Let the real work begin.

It's been a little bit since anybody has posted on this board, so I thought I'd try to revive it. New2pa, is there anything interesting going on regarding any of P-R's opponents for 2022? I ask this because I was looking through Twitter and Seneca Valley is looking like they'll be a problem. Quite a few of their kids are going to third-party facilities to work out and with Lehmeier and Sasson returning, their offense will be potent. Their skill kids are big and Hancox looked pretty good last season before he got hurt.

What I'm asking is, what is Penn Hills up to with their new coach? Is PCC up to anything? NA?

In addition, what's the early scouting report on Pickerington North?

Ledonne had problems with Penn Hills kids their championship year in 2018

kids set off fireworks before the wpial title game causing damage to the field, and I remember the Penn Hills player did a back flip after seriously injuring the Manheim Central player in the state title game

now you can argue that was outside of Ledonne's hands and that was all the kids fault, but if they fired Kasper because they believe he allowed hazing or not giving the kids proper discipline, then I don't see how they can think Ledonne is their guy
Neither were a big deal. For one it was smoke they light off for there entrance onto the field. It was just kids having fun. I think it was stupid they even made a big deal about it and two the hit in the state championship game was a legal hit and it was a player celebrating a big hit. Neither are anything to talk about.

Neither were a big deal. For one it was smoke they light off for there entrance onto the field. It was just kids having fun. I think it was stupid they even made a big deal about it and two the hit in the state championship game was a legal hit and it was a player celebrating a big hit. Neither are anything to talk about.
it is a big deal, especially when Kasper was fired for allegedly not properly disciplining his players, now your putting a guy in charge that somehow let his players damage the field before a championship game with their fireworks or smoke

and the celebration after the hit in the state title game was ridiculous, he did a back flip on the field several seconds after it was obvious the Manheim Central kid was hurt bad, i would go as far to call it evil no coincidence Penn Hills is in the news all the time for the wrong reasons

the hit is at about 2:57:48 he does the flip about 23 seconds later, oh and the team comes on to the field to celebrate while the kid is still out cold on the field

and this is the coach they think should replace Kasper for alleged hazing???

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT