ADVERTISEMENT

Pine-Richland 2021

spot-on new... with "declining programs" the "first thing to go" is 9th grade football

So essentially, P-R in a span of roughly five years from when I was a student there went from three youth teams at every level, two middle school teams, a freshman, JV, and Varsity team to having a singular middle school team and no freshman team?

Regarding the youth teams, one of the things about Kasperowicz was the time and effort he put into that pipeline. What's Campos doing about that? I highly doubt that the youth programs have three teams anymore.

Reactions: new2pa
So essentially, P-R in a span of roughly five years from when I was a student there went from three youth teams at every level, two middle school teams, a freshman, JV, and Varsity team to having a singular middle school team and no freshman team?

Regarding the youth teams, one of the things about Kasperowicz was the time and effort he put into that pipeline. What's Campos doing about that? I highly doubt that the youth programs have three teams anymore.
ugh- Coaching update- likely "last new hires" posted, only one more varsity, unpaid "volunteer," one new ninth grade, one new middle school. Seems none have good HS coaching experience. So, that leaves 4 total aid HS assistants, I think 3 volunteers. Only two total w HS coaching experience...ugh

Well, maybe that means they will at least have a 9th grade team. Who are they?

Well, maybe that means they will at least have a 9th grade team. Who are they?
two of them never heard of- Rowlands, looks like recent college graduate, played at PR, ninth grade coach name is Jendesky. New middle school coach is Curran, good hire, not sure how long he will stay, he has middle school boys.

Yes, maybe on the ninth grade team, but still will be tough with only one guy, and not enough varsity coaches. Also, total number of kids is an issue- in January they had 120, going to workouts, in 9-12, now, word is, only about 45 varsity and 15 9th grade kids going to workouts- 60 total

2020: 120 down to 60? That is a shame. I'm going to guess its mostly younger kids quiting.

Wow, down to 60 players......there will be cost savings now. The band will be upset now only playing to half the crowd, 350 angry band parents selling half as many concession items. Geez.

Wow, down to 60 players......there will be cost savings now. The band will be upset now only playing to half the crowd, 350 angry band parents selling half as many concession items. Geez.
The kids who have quit have been a mix of all grades 9-12 (rising grades). whole things makes me sick, i could go on and on- june board meeting, one school board member actually said "we need to focus on different issues, there are only 60 kids that the football coaches affect." stupid, ignorant and inaccurate. most of the board and leadership just DOES NOT LIKE FOOTBALL. Some of these kids will play zero sports, when they walk away from football.

At it's "peak" there were 180 youth players, 120 school players, 7-12, that "was" like 300 kids from grade k to 12, connected to the "program." With District enrollment of 4000, that wouldve been almost 1 in 10 kids "in the program." The leaders wanted a "lower profile program." Well, they are gonna have it. I think part of what has been happening in the summer, is some kids have been waiting and hoping that some new good assistant coaches will start- well that has not and will not happen. Also some kids are on vacation, and do not care cuz there are already lower expectations, and less accountability. Oh- how about 7 on 7s? They were supposed to have like 9. 8 have already been "cancelled." Have only done 1.

IMO, the threshhold will be 50 kids, for varsity. If they have less than that, this year may be rough, with a lack of depth. And may be even worse in 2022 if they go back to 6A.

Wilson, I agree. The school board renewed the supt and asst supt last night until 2027.

Over.

The kids who have quit have been a mix of all grades 9-12 (rising grades). whole things makes me sick, i could go on and on- june board meeting, one school board member actually said "we need to focus on different issues, there are only 60 kids that the football coaches affect." stupid, ignorant and inaccurate. most of the board and leadership just DOES NOT LIKE FOOTBALL. Some of these kids will play zero sports, when they walk away from football.

At it's "peak" there were 180 youth players, 120 school players, 7-12, that "was" like 300 kids from grade k to 12, connected to the "program." With District enrollment of 4000, that wouldve been almost 1 in 10 kids "in the program." The leaders wanted a "lower profile program." Well, they are gonna have it. I think part of what has been happening in the summer, is some kids have been waiting and hoping that some new good assistant coaches will start- well that has not and will not happen. Also some kids are on vacation, and do not care cuz there are already lower expectations, and less accountability. Oh- how about 7 on 7s? They were supposed to have like 9. 8 have already been "cancelled." Have only done 1.

IMO, the threshhold will be 50 kids, for varsity. If they have less than that, this year may be rough, with a lack of depth. And may be even worse in 2022 if they go back to 6A.
Seneca Valley took our organs and Mars took our heart. Pine-Richland is now an empty, soulless corpse trying to find a replacement heart and organs. The team may look the same with their uniforms and some of the players, but deep down, there is no life or spirit.

Which coaches are at Mars? I know others have speculated, but I haven’t seen anything confirmed.

Wilson, I'm not sure about this, but it really seems as though Teachers and parents are "mostly on the same page." Really seems to be Admin+Board VS Teachers+Parents. Some of the current teachers were personally asked by Admin to coach varsity, but my understanding is they all said NO.

Bummer- yes- good analogy.

To another poster- the youth numbers are still good- lower than 10 years ago, but current interest is similar to recent #s, likely benefited from state title. Might drop off some next year.

HSFB- not yet confirmed to Mars- couple coaches including Kasper have said "maybe/probably" going to Mars.

We all know there are a lot of good teachers across the state. But sad to say the teachers union runs the show and is nothing more than a special interest group for liberals.

Reactions: Bighead75
Wilson, I'm not sure about this, but it really seems as though Teachers and parents are "mostly on the same page." Really seems to be Admin+Board VS Teachers+Parents. Some of the current teachers were personally asked by Admin to coach varsity, but my understanding is they all said NO.

Bummer- yes- good analogy.

To another poster- the youth numbers are still good- lower than 10 years ago, but current interest is similar to recent #s, likely benefited from state title. Might drop off some next year.

HSFB- not yet confirmed to Mars- couple coaches including Kasper have said "maybe/probably" going to Mars.
I take it all the teachers who said no must be tenured. I doubt a non-tenured teacher would say no.

Wilson, I agree. The school board renewed the supt and asst supt last night until 2027.

Over.
Remember the gloom and doom days when they were going to no renew the contract for the superintendent?

Some people are still stuck in those gloom and doom days.

Good luck to the Pine-Richland football program.

Haters gonna hate.

Players still gonna play.

New2pa, you mentioned that numbers from last season dropped from roughly 120 to roughly 60 this year. Were you able to catch any names of who quit and were there any players that quit who would've been core contributors to the varsity team?

Bummer - IIRC, the 120 number was from February just after workouts started.

As far as I can tell, it’s mostly been younger kids with two exceptions. The small RB (Taylor) from last year and a senior LB that was returning from injury. Was told he was only a JV kid last year.

Reactions: bummer01
Just heard that even with support of school board president and superintendent, Mars Coach decided not to bring Coach K and the other 3 assistants onboard this year. The guy I was talking to (parent of Mars player) was very upset about how it happened. Not really sure of details, but it seemed like Mars Coach got cold feet and thought Coach K was there to take his job.

Just heard that even with support of school board president and superintendent, Mars Coach decided not to bring Coach K and the other 3 assistants onboard this year. The guy I was talking to (parent of Mars player) was very upset about how it happened. Not really sure of details, but it seemed like Mars Coach got cold feet and thought Coach K was there to take his job.
Harrisburg Cougars might feast on the turmoil at PR. Young or not!

So do you think they will end up somewhere this year or sit on the Sideline

I’ve heard zero about Coach K or Coach Mal.

I did hear that P-R’s QB coach (Jochem) has been helping out at PCC.. If that’s true, that’s fairly big news. If PCC starts to play a little like P-R, they could be a threat in some years to SJP. You need talent too, but their run heavy approach hasn’t work against SJP over the years. I will try and confirm tomorrow.

I’ve heard zero about Coach K or Coach Mal.

I did hear that P-R’s QB coach (Jochem) has been helping out at PCC.. If that’s true, that’s fairly big news. If PCC starts to play a little like P-R, they could be a threat in some years to SJP. You need talent too, but their run heavy approach hasn’t work against SJP over the years. I will try and confirm tomorrow.
It’s surprising to me that schools didn’t just try to get the whole staff from Pr (maybe they did). If I’m pcc ad I’d take that whole staff over what they have in heartbeat, they’ll never win anouther state title with their current staff

It would not have been fair to the current staff members who have been there, dedicating their time to Coach H. Mars has staff waiting in line to takeover as HC.

It’s surprising to me that schools didn’t just try to get the whole staff from Pr (maybe they did). If I’m pcc ad I’d take that whole staff over what they have in heartbeat, they’ll never win anouther state title with their current staff
Maybe...just maybe...some of these coaches know something and are choosing to stay away. Less of a headache. Sometimes.................where there is smoke...there is fire.

It is very interesting the lack of hires (interest) to the PR staff and former staff not being picked off by other programs. The ambitious young coaches accepted/secured opportunities leaving the politics behind. More will come out on the "Why" the staff was not re-upped, it may take a season or two but the real details will surface. Obviously the pain and energy suck for the Administration was too great to over come. Football is a great character builder for the players who love the game, that will never change. The fence sitters will choose other sports.

It would not have been fair to the current staff members who have been there, dedicating their time to Coach H. Mars has staff waiting in line to takeover as HC.

I think but am not certain that the entire old staff was staying. No one was getting fired. But I can see where people would feel threatened.

I thought that too. But, I think its a combo of things. It was very late in the year and positions were filled. It definitely would have caused hard feelings to can an entire staff. Also, I don't think Coach K and some of the staff would go to just any school.

Maybe...just maybe...some of these coaches know something and are choosing to stay away. Less of a headache. Sometimes.................where there is smoke...there is fire.
There you go again. What ever happened to "I like Coach K"?

There you go again. What ever happened to "I like Coach K"?
I do like Eric, never had an issue with him. Tremendous amount of respect for him as a coach and person.

But apparently other people have issues with him......There certainly is a reason the Superintendent and Asst. Super got contract extensions and Coach K did not...........Why else would a coach with a winning percentage over 80% not get hired anywhere if there were no concerns?

Last edited:
This Penn Trafford team matches P-R's size and have a D-1 RB in Yacamelli. They also have great coaching, but do lack a proven QB. If things continue trending in the direction they are going, P-R may no longer be the favorite in WPIAL 5A.

This Penn Trafford team matches P-R's size and have a D-1 RB in Yacamelli. They also have great coaching, but do lack a proven QB. If things continue trending in the direction they are going, P-R may no longer be the favorite in WPIAL 5A.

At this point, and going off of what you are saying about Campos and the new culture at P-R, they haven't been the favorites in WPIAL 5A for months. Penn-Trafford is the better team today on paper. Heck, I'd put Gateway at #2 and slide P-R down to #3.

I hate to break it to you Pine-Richland "fans?????" ....I use the term loosely....you seem to me more of a fan of the old staff instead of the reality of now, the new PR, the new program and kids that are still giving 100%.... But we are going to be fine, with or without your "support".. If you are truly a PR fan, you would stop posting all this nonsense and start being supportive. You only hurt the children....Do you really want the team to lose, for the kids to suffer? Not sure why you are so butt hurt, but you got to let go.....The kids are playing for Campos. They are coming together. They are starting to believe. They are becoming a TEAM Pine-Richland can be proud of. Why take away from that? Stop downing all the hard work these kids and coaches are putting in.

Realize you sound like the angry kid who got picked last and is now taking their ball home so no one can play.

Grow up.

It is very interesting the lack of updates from the PR supporters of the past......this might lead one to believe that they we in the inner circle of the staff.

Are the participant numbers before camp similar to years past (increased over the last report of 60)?

They are working out on the field, any news on the defense side of the ball?

Hopefully some pre-camp info will be shared on the board.

It is very interesting the lack of updates from the PR supporters of the past......this might lead one to believe that they we in the inner circle of the staff.

Are the participant numbers before camp similar to years past (increased over the last report of 60)?

They are working out on the field, any news on the defense side of the ball?

Hopefully some pre-camp info will be shared on the board.
prfb- not sure what you mean by "inner circle." But the "update" is a real mixed-bag of info- some good, some bad, still hard to tell. A few more coaches have been hired, but there are still not enough. Some of the coaches are "volunteers" so they have not been there for practices. The numbers are higher than 60, but lower than the 120 from January. From hearing people talk about summer workouts, numbers may be around 80, guessing maybe the roster will be 55-60 varsity and 20ish 9th- seems like 9th grade team might happen. Another example of "mixed bag" update- this summer, the team was supposed to do like nine 7 on 7s. They cancelled most of them- but they did well in the 2 they did.

Understood, just seems there has been a "hush" on any news and details of how things are going. Even with the youth teams starting, chatter has been quiet.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT