ADVERTISEMENT

Pine-Richland 2021

It's just a wait and see approach at this point. I don't know if I can speak for the other members of the board, but we're keeping our expectations low for this season because we don't know how this team will play. It will be very interesting to see the pre-season predictions for WPIAL champions and all that. Campos and his staff will be given their fair chance, but I can't see any way possible where his staff can be better than Eric Kasperowicz's. This wasn't a dig at Campos, but nobody could've replaced Kasperowicz and not expect a drop-off of some sort.

Reactions: lilromeo
Agreed, the "plug and play" system covered shortfalls of talent or experience. Consistency and execution of one system creates the the best chance to winner. Like all programs, there will be set backs, it how well you can reload and keep engaged.

It's just a wait and see approach at this point. I don't know if I can speak for the other members of the board, but we're keeping our expectations low for this season because we don't know how this team will play. It will be very interesting to see the pre-season predictions for WPIAL champions and all that. Campos and his staff will be given their fair chance, but I can't see any way possible where his staff can be better than Eric Kasperowicz's. This wasn't a dig at Campos, but nobody could've replaced Kasperowicz and not expect a drop-off of some sort.
I bet in the next few years you see the talent shifting away from pine Richland and towards north Allegheny where they become the power house they were in the late 2000's early 2010's.

I bet in the next few years you see the talent shifting away from pine Richland and towards north Allegheny where they become the power house they were in the late 2000's early 2010's.
Agreed on that point, but I think the future families looking to move here will migrate towards Seneca Valley instead of NA. I can see NA being a state-title contender again someday, but they have to get away from their nineties-like offense first.

Will be home from vacation soon. Will post player updates. At least 3 changes on O.

Agreed on that point, but I think the future families looking to move here will migrate towards Seneca Valley instead of NA. I can see NA being a state-title contender again someday, but they have to get away from their nineties-like offense first.
True, I bet thier program benefits from it as well.
Good point, NA's always had a descent program so this will only help. You're right about seneca valley they will improve greatly as well. Unfortunately, I don't see pine Richland bouncing back from this. It's a shame.

True, I bet thier program benefits from it as well.
Good point, NA's always had a descent program so this will only help. You're right about seneca valley they will improve greatly as well. Unfortunately, I don't see pine Richland bouncing back from this. It's a shame.
I have always wondered over the next few years during P-R's run is why couldn't NA do the same again? They obviously have all of the resources any program could want including a state-of-the-art new turf on their field, the ability to pay any coach to come there, but they can't get over the hump. Are they content with Walker and playing second-fiddle to PCC and probably Mt. Lebo and SV this season? NA develops great players, but not a top-tier team. Kasperowicz did both of those things amazingly at P-R. That's where NA falls short.

I have always wondered over the next few years during P-R's run is why couldn't NA do the same again? They obviously have all of the resources any program could want including a state-of-the-art new turf on their field, the ability to pay any coach to come there, but they can't get over the hump. Are they content with Walker and playing second-fiddle to PCC and probably Mt. Lebo and SV this season? NA develops great players, but not a top-tier team. Kasperowicz did both of those things amazingly at P-R. That's where NA falls short.
They had good teams and art walker is a good high school coach but they haven't had the talent they've had in the late 2010's. I think with kasperowicz leaving Pine Richland you'll see them getting great teams again. I think mt lebo has potential too and just got the coach last year. Pcc will always be pcc and reload.

They had good teams and art walker is a good high school coach but they haven't had the talent they've had in the late 2010's. I think with kasperowicz leaving Pine Richland you'll see them getting great teams again. I think mt lebo has potential too and just got the coach last year. Pcc will always be pcc and reload.
Do you think P-R would ever drop to a point in 6A where they're like Canon-Mac or Baldwin? I think Hempfield can improve a little in the near-future. I don't know about Norwin though. PCC, NA, and SV probably be the top-tier teams with P-R mixed in.

Do you think P-R would ever drop to a point in 6A where they're like Canon-Mac or Baldwin? I think Hempfield can improve a little in the near-future. I don't know about Norwin though. PCC, NA, and SV probably be the top-tier teams with P-R mixed in.
Hard to say, I think pr will even be descent next year because they have talent but the programs going backwards. You can't fire a coach like kasperowicz and all his assistant coaches and be the same program. Look what pine Richland was before Kasperowicz took over. I think they will go back to that.

Last edited:

2021 Coaching Staff - DeVinney is in the bright green shirt. Campos is in RMU shirt. Not sure about the rest of them.

Reactions: bummer01

2021 Coaching Staff - DeVinney is in the bright green shirt. Campos is in RMU shirt. Not sure about the rest of them.
Seems like a great guy and a good coach but I don't think they'll have the success they did under Kasperowicz. They did Kasperowicz really dirty and the program will be hurting because of it.

Reactions: bummer01
I believe it is. They have hired a HC, OC, OL/DL, LB, DC, and ?
still do not have an offensive line coach, really sad and unbelievable. Also, PR folks, not sure if you've heard- sadly more drama coming monday- rumor is, the AD is resigning AGAIN, along w several other district administrators

Reactions: new2pa
still do not have an offensive line coach, really sad and unbelievable. Also, PR folks, not sure if you've heard- sadly more drama coming monday- rumor is, the AD is resigning AGAIN, along w several other district administrators
I heard - waiting to get back to confirm.

They had 4 OL/DL coaches last year. Now they have 1 for both.

Salopek's leaving? My goodness...

This is from earlier this year before staff changeover, with recent modifications based on things I've been hearing.

DE: Lenz 6'3" 240 SR - Returning starter and very good. Playing opposite Jackson, teams targeted him but he did well. Needs to step up and be dominant.
DL: Domer 6'3" 270 SR - Returning starter, all-conference and 5A all state player.
DL: Kerns: 6' 240 JR - Started at center but will have to go both ways. Likely a rotation player
DE: Klemm 6’4 250 SR - more of an offensive lineman. Struggles a little on D with physicality.
MLB: Hasley, 6'2 225 SR – Duke commit. Best Player on team. Will need to plug up the middle.
ILB: Heckert, 5'10 200 JR - Played on their 3rd down package. Needs to find a home somewhere.
OLB: Ansell, 5’11 185 SR – Team kind of player that is the next man up. Very physical but lacks experience.
S: Eastburn, 5'9 180 SR - A better offensive player but did get a lot of time at S as Jochem's backup.
S: Palmieri, 5'9 180 JR - Best overall football player in the JR class. No longer a QB.
CB: Gochis 6’3 190 SR - Mainly and offensive player, but may have to go both ways.
CB: Wells 6’ 160 SR – Competing for both the starting WR spot and starting CB spot. First year starter.
CB: Mellis, 5’8 170 JR – Great feet and very strong. Has been best player along with Palmieri in 7v7.

Offense:

T: Jalen Klem, 6'4 250 SR - Transferred this past year to P-R. Was a QB. Son of Steelers Assistant OL coach. Raw but talented. Must be more physical. Has ~10 D1 P5/G5 offers.
T: Beam, 6'4 270 JR - Played a lot this past year in sub packages. Potential D1 OL.
G: Domer, 6'3 270, SR - Will be playing both ways. Was getting some looks at G from D1 schools.
G: Sam Green, 6’ 250 SR – first year starter. I only remember him from playing a few snaps on defense last year. I thought Cory would have this position, but I’ve heard he’s not getting looked at.
C: Kerns, 6' 240 JR - Was first team 5A All state. Very good player.
QB: Boyd 6' 180 SR - Great arm talent but lacks experience.
RB: Palmieri, 5'9 180 JR – He’s been getting a ton of touches as RB. May end up being the starter over Eastburn.
RB: Eastburn 5'9 180 SR - Was all conference as utility player. Needs to step up
WR: Hasley – Have not heard of him playing any RB at all, which is a surprise – got big carries in State Championship game. Looks like he is mostly playing the inside WR position where he played most last year.
WR: Gochis 6'3 190 SR - Returning starter. Needs to step up and be primary target
WR: Mellis 5'8" 170 JR - Played sparingly. Small but quick. Will take Jochem's spot.
WR: Wells 5'11 170 SR - This could be anyone. Wells will get first crack then Gelly.
WR: Gelly 6’2, 180 JR – A surprise. Shot up over the winter. Part of the very good 4x100 track team. Can run and catch. Needs seasoning but looks like a P-R outside WR.

Others:
John Rottinghaus (6’2 200 JR) will make contributions at H and LB
Cory (6’3 250 SO) to be a starter at OG before the end of the year
Luke Rudolph (5’9” 160) to get good reps at WR

Interesting note. Coach K’s son (Eric 5’7” 165 FR) is the backup QB now. With Palmieri going to RB, I guess they needed someone. Bear’s watching, because I don’t see him being at P-R as a Sophomore.

Other news to confirm: QB Coach (Jochem) is at Central Catholic working with their offense.

New, we're you able to get any confirmation on what offense and schemes they'll be running under the new staff?

Bummer: DeVinney is definitely trying to run their old spread offense. Defensively, they are going to be 4-3 and I’m hearing they may play more cover 3 instead of being more 2 high. They played 2 high man under the entire 7v7 season.

Yes that is the rumor, will be posted noon on Monday, for the board meeting that same night
Any official confirmation that Salopek has already or will resign? I didn't see it on the school board's agenda for tonight.

Bummer: DeVinney is definitely trying to run their old spread offense. Defensively, they are going to be 4-3 and I’m hearing they may play more cover 3 instead of being more 2 high. They played 2 high man under the entire 7v7 season.
I never understood this...

1. Why not use 7v7 to work the D you're actually going to play?
2. When I see teams playing 2-man in 7v7, I always wonder if they're there to develop their team or to win a trophy in June.

Bummer: The other assistant principal quit tonight - Puskas. Salopek is reportedly going to NA. Their board meeting is next Monday. He gets approved at that, he will resign then. Bowman is the other one to go. Rumored to go to Northgate, but they hired a MS Principal tonight. So maybe not.

bucks: No idea what they are doing. Playing that defense will not help them beat NA, PCC, SV, or Penn Trafford.

Also, just checked the meeting minutes - no new coaches hired, so I guess those 6 are it. For gameday, I wonder if they will be able to have anyone in the box? Crazy.

Good for him! It's a volunteer position but maybe he'll be able to move his way up on the Pitt staff or parlay it into another job at a smaller school.

Reactions: lilromeo and new2pa
Rumored for a long time but now official.

Coach K to Pitt.

What a fall from grace..... Six months ago he was running his own state championship program...

Today, not one WPIAL school will hire him as an assistant because of the "baggage" and he has to go to Pitt - who, if you remember correctly - did not hire him in January when he first applied.

Now the only option is to volunteer.

Sounds like a lot of the "rumors' turned out to be truth.

What a fall from grace..... Six months ago he was running his own state championship program...

Today, not one WPIAL school will hire him as an assistant because of the "baggage" and he has to go to Pitt - who, if you remember correctly - did not hire him in January when he first applied.

He almost got hired at Mars but their coach got cold feet and didn't bring him on board after all.

Let's be fair here. Coach K was far too good a coach to be in HS football. Pitt stood up and is going to give this guy the chance to prove himself. Sure it's a volunteer position, but who's going to bet against this guy. He just kicked off a college career and will be successful. You think sacrifice was just some BS he thruvat kids? How long before Narduzzi tells other schools he's a great guy and take him. Or maybe Narduzzi offers the Pitt alum a full time job. An assistant coach makes more than a HS teacher/coach. One door closes, another opens. My guess is he makes PR look like fools and never looks back.

If Narduzzi, PITT, thought so highly of him, why did they not hire him in the first place?

Let's see what Narduzzi thinks of him next year, that's if Narduzzi is still there lol. As a teacher, how will he be able to make all the football practices/meetings? Not all D1 assistants make over 100k.

I don't think PR is the one looking foolish anymore. The super just got a contract extension and will certainly never look back.

If Narduzzi, PITT, thought so highly of him, why did they not hire him in the first place?

Let's see what Narduzzi thinks of him next year, that's if Narduzzi is still there lol. As a teacher, how will he be able to make all the football practices/meetings? Not all D1 assistants make over 100k.

I don't think PR is the one looking foolish anymore. The super just got a contract extension and will certainly never look back.
When push came to shove Narduzzi hired him to help him out. You think Narduzzi would bring in someone who could hurt the team ? You think Narduzzi doesn't know how HS sports works? In college if you win you're revered. You win in HS small people are jealous. And "Coach" assistants in D1 sure do make 100k. ... PLUS!

Reactions: new2pa and lilromeo

There's no baggage. Nothing was founded and it was BS. This is a step up. He's went from high school to Pitt. He will get a petminant position there or in college soon.

Haussmann, et. al.

There are probably three HS head coach jobs Coach k would take - PCC, North Catholic, or P-R if admin all left. Would allow him to coach his kid. None will likely work out, but you never know.

Other than that, I also think he’s going to stick in college.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT