ADVERTISEMENT

Pine-Richland 2021

Will the meeting on Monday be streamed?
Not sure- I think the new approach, is if the "public is allowed in person" then it is not livestreamed but may be recorded and posted. AND, for the true fanatics of PR and WPIAL football (like me), we will know the likely hires by mid-day Monday. The Board posts "meeting agenda" publicly on their Website, at 12 noon, on the day of the meeting. So, there might be 5-10 names on a "supplemental coaching" job list for hiring that night. Fingers crossed a couple of the names are familiar names. Best guess is a couple "in house" guys like PR middle school coaches- beyond that, who knows.

he kids LOVED AND TRUSTED the coaches, and the coaches trusted each other and worked well together.
IMO, the GM game was all about the above. 3 INTs and a fumble early. Never stopped believing.

Culture, preparation, talent

Frankly, for HS kids not to quit when down 22 halfway through Q3 is unbelievable. Top 5 comeback in PA playoff history. Maybe a lot higher.

some asked about where kids went - here’s the list as I know it:

Jackson - Charotte
Hayes - Liberty
Jochem- Indiana
Miller - Kent State
Neil - Duquesne
Schweiger - Furman
Mill - Elon
Spencer -Penn (wrestling) was 5A PoY...

Hasley is a mid P5 / G5 kid
Domer - maybe same as Hasley or a little lower
Gochis - strong FCS kid
Boyd - D2
Eastburn - D2/3

boyd and eastburn are very good for their positions, but aren’t tall which I always thinks limit’s people.

Has anybody realized that whoever runs the P-R Football Twitter changed the bio to include "Not affiliated with PR football"? It happened roughly an hour after Coach Campos was approved by the board. Are they gonna hold the account hostage and delete it someday?

Has anybody realized that whoever runs the P-R Football Twitter changed the bio to include "Not affiliated with PR football"? It happened roughly an hour after Coach Campos was approved by the board. Are they gonna hold the account hostage and delete it someday?
Yes, many of those things have been happening without people noticing, ever since mid April, when the district leadership ripped the program apart- and these things will continue to happen. Most of the "program" was built in the last 8 years, by Parents, kids, and the FIRED COACHING staff- the District (meaning Board and Admin) "thinks" they built it and "own it" they did not and do not. Things like the twitter site are crumbling blocks, of a program falling apart. And- strangely, in the eyes of the Board and Admin- those are good things- because the program and the coaches were "too good" and "too well known," well, here ya go! These coaches (the fired coaches) devoted lots of time to make these kids into proud young men, and help some of them go to college for free- basically gave a lot their time "for free" and IMO they, meaning the fired coaches, "built" that twitter site- it's theirs, and more power to them, the site is theirs, they can and change it, take it, or do whatever they please. The new coach has joked, he does not use social media, so he is sure as heck not gonna use it... well, it's 2021, I kinda think a "non-technology coach" will not be good for these kids.

Reactions: new2pa

Looks like we know of one new name: Stephen Buches. Couldn't really find anything regarding him coaching anywhere. Apparently he teaches at NA and is a former Pitt player.

Also, two middle school coaches got re-upped for next year.

Last edited:

Looks like we know of one new name: Stephen Buches. Couldn't really find anything regarding him coaching anywhere. Apparently he teaches at NA and is a former Pitt player.

Also, two middle school coaches got re-upped for next year.
Yes, one total Varsity Assistant, zero JV and zero ninth grade coaches (they were all fired), and last year there were probably 3-4 middle school coaches (and they usually do not start until August, and maybe those guys resigned), it's a joke and a trainwreck. Again, i might be wrong, but I have yet to see any info to indicate otherwise. No joke- PR youth football probably has more coaches and has a better "plan"

Yes, one total Varsity Assistant, zero JV and zero ninth grade coaches (they were all fired), and last year there were probably 3-4 middle school coaches (and they usually do not start until August, and maybe those guys resigned), it's a joke and a trainwreck. Again, i might be wrong, but I have yet to see any info to indicate otherwise. No joke- PR youth football probably has more coaches and has a better "plan"
I guess the board meeting tonight, which is not streamed live by the way, will indicate some new assistants. Coach Campos has apparently put a list of candidates out to the board, but did this guy even coach anywhere ever? We'll see what happens, but like what you said 2020sports, it may be ex-Seneca Valley assistants or a patchwork of coaches from average to below-average programs. They may not have enough time to implement a new system offensively and defensively.

I still believe this team should be playing for a state championship. Hasley is a stud and the have great OL. Klemm (tackle) has gotten offers from ASU, NEBrASKA, Colorado and hasnt played a down. Starting center is back as well as Beam at other tackle. Gochis at WR and eastburn at RB.

Defense is a little more of a rebuild, but this team is theoretically loaded. P-R, Imhotep, ECP top 3, then GM in the west mainly because of Singleton. Warwick lost a ton. Maybe somebody else steps up.

P-R first 6:

Harrisburg
Seneca Valley
Central Catholic
Upper St Clair
Gateway
Penn Hills

that’s a tough way to start the season.
New2pa and others. Thanks for your thoughts on 5A. I’m just getting to Dist 3 (sort of) after allowing friends to corral me in a deep dive on Battle Gettysburg per knowledge (hometown) and life-long studies. Doing a terrain/geological study (role played) for Lee’s 2nd day attack against center, a lesser researched action vis-a-vis Devils’ Den, Little Round Top, the Wheatfield et al. So I’ve been torn between my two loves, “Gettysburg” and HS football.

After that long winded excuse, earlier research pointed to Gov. Mifflin (see Dist 3 Final, Top 30) with their returns (Singleton), plus ability to replace Qb who in their system is replaceable. Their issues will be the line that was legit and deep plus a wicked opening schedule at York High, Wilson home and Cocalico away. I think Wilson is going to be very good despite grads, York is absolutely loaded and Cocalico has all their backs in place in that weird option of theirs. Like PR, that’s a tough opening slate for the GM.

Also….

*Exeter bears watching with a nice LB tandem and Colin Payne (6-3, 185, jr) to be their Qb.. A lot of s kill back like Red Lion,
*Red Lion, just need a Qb with most others back from a sneaky good group last year.
*Manheim Central who I now think should be the favorite is loaded with good skill people as always and a super young group last year now a year older.

Schedule Pitfalls:
GM
has a brutal three game opening slate mentioned above plus teams are gunning for them. They crushed people last year and everyone wants a piece and a shot at Singleton.
Exeter also has a hard opening with silver medalist Central York and hot shot Qb Beau Pribula in opener followed by a vet Boyertown team away then Wilson at home and what should be a well improved Hempfield team with their outstanding Qb Cam Harbaugh. GMif and Berks Catholic come later.
Red Lion opens with three Mid Penn teams that often outclass them (as a conference) getting Cedar Cliff at home, Waynesboro and Chambersburg away followed by the home conference opener vs Central York.
Manheim Central opens at home vs Cumberland Valley and Hempfield then Susquehanna Twp in Harrisburg who has been down but always has players before difficult road games at Perk Val and Wilson and Warwick at home.

Many will stumble out the gate or at least get bumped and have a tough trip. But we’ll know about them early as we will 6As who also face front loaded schedules. Some egs

Wilson: First five….Central Dauphin, GMif, Exeter, MLK, Manheim Central
CD: First four….Wilson, Berks Catholic, Manheim Township, Harrisburg
York: First three….GMif, McCaskey (should roll), at Coatesville!
Cumberland Valley: First three….Manheim Central, Central York, Spring Ford
Harrisburg: First four….Pine Rich, at Hazelton, home McDevitt at CD
Township: First five….CD East, Dallastown should roll, then at CD, home to Spring Ford at Cocalico
McDevitt 4A: First three….home LaSalle College and Middletown at Harrisburg. Will challenge for States with a quarterback, fielding one of their better teams.

Got to go. Hopefully I can get back to it soon.

Name #2: I'm assuming TJ as in TJ Salopek. Goodness gracious. The yes-man AD is going to be a part of this?

I have heard nothing since the board meeting on Monday. I will ask around at graduation parties this weekend and see who is showing up at practice besides the Campos and Salopek. Last day of school was yesterday so I guess off season starts Monday.

Report from a grad party. About 75 kids showing up to practice grades 9-12. 2 coaches. Campos and Salopek only. The coach the board hired on Monday is supposed to show up this week. No defensive coaches. I'm not sure why the middle school coaches are coming to help.

I will try and get to the school and watch a practice this week now that school is out.

A guy named Steve Buches is the other coach that has been hired. Never heard of him. But was told he’s an OL guy. From PH. Didn’t coach the last year or two. Saw his name on the board meeting agenda.

A guy named Steve Buches is the other coach that has been hired. Never heard of him. But was told he’s an OL guy. From PH. Didn’t coach the last year or two. Saw his name on the board meeting agenda.
He's the former Pitt TE, right? He probably took the job as a stepping stone if everything gets blown up again after next year. He's probably no Tim Sasson unfortunately. Where's Campos going to get the rest of his staff? Poaching coaches from Fox Chapel and Kiski?

I can’t see campos lasting more than a year. Everything I’ve heard from parents and neighbors who are related to one of people running for the board is that the new board will just blow this all up again after a year. At the board meeting a few weeks the guy running for head straight up told the upper admin he will replace them all. All the new members running won overwhelmingly in the may election. With the way things are being run now, until whenever the season ends everything will be criticized and obviously not up to par to the predecessors. That seems absolutely wild that they only have 2 coaches so far

2 coaches and 2 weeks until July. An inexperienced lack luster HC on his last legs. Lost two of the top coordinators in The state in Coach K on D and Lehmeirer on O. What the hell system are they running now? Online is a strength as I have read but top oline coach in area is at SV. Huge upgrade for them. Add while under Campos watch SV qbs were extremely inefficient so how is he going to develop a qb with zero to limited varsity snaps? The kids deserve better. This to me is absolutely embarrassing. I’m just baffled how this whole thing is rolled out and continues to become more of a shit show as every week passes.

At the booster meeting, Campos was talking about the schedule and told the parents how good SV was going to be. SV hasn't beaten PR in 8 years - the year before Campos became the QB coach there. They expect to hear about PCC and SJP being good. Not SV.

You are correct Soup. Shit Show.

And Salopek still coaching.

At the booster meeting, Campos was talking about the schedule and told the parents how good SV was going to be. SV hasn't beaten PR in 8 years - the year before Campos became the QB coach there. They expect to hear about PCC and SJP being good. Not SV.

They might be good now because he switched places with some of the guys that were kicking his ass there 🙄

Reactions: Soup13 and new2pa
Also very interesting how Salopek is coaching, have not heard one positive thing from anyone in the football circle about him. Can’t imagine he’s someone the kids respect or would want to be mentored by.

Kinda odd that Campos is talking so positively about Seneca Valley while employed at P-R. Although, this dosen't surprise me considering that this is the same guy who shows up to football practice at P-R in Seneca Valley gear. Who does this guy REALLY support?

Kinda odd that Campos is talking so positively about Seneca Valley while employed at P-R. Although, this dosen't surprise me considering that this is the same guy who shows up to football practice at P-R in Seneca Valley gear. Who does this guy REALLY support?
You can’t make this shit up. This is the last time some of these kids will ever suit up, They deserve better. We all know you can put a staff together fairly quickly if you have been doing this 30 years. Come on man.

You can’t make this shit up. This is the last time some of these kids will ever suit up, They deserve better. We all know you can put a staff together fairly quickly if you have been doing this 30 years. Come on man.
I have found pretty much nothing about his only assistant except that he's a teacher at NA and played at Pitt roughly fifteen years ago. New2pa said that he coached at Penn Hills and worked with the o-line, but was this guy a paid assistant or a volunteer? Regardless, he will be a massive downgrade from Tim Sasson. How did the board let Seneca Valley swindle us like that?

Reactions: new2pa and Soup13
My goodness, where to even start. Mmm, well i will go ahead, and guess what wpialcoach will say "Hey guys you need to get a grip, give Coach Campos a chance, he will do a good job!"

Well, nothing yet has been "good or encouraging."

Of course Campos is gonna compliment SV- he is "complimenting himself" having coached there

In general, totally agree, it is a total joke. Again, as i have said, i might be too pessimistic- but, nothing yet has been shown otherwise- not enough coaches, bad strength and conditioning plan, some kids have already quit, confusing and inconsistent practice plans, etc. IMO, this guy came here for 3 reasons only
1) Nice Facilities, he probably has a nice coach's office now
2) Sad to say, but a pay raise- maybe 5 thousand, now 10 thousand
3) To USE THESE KIDS to get a RING!! He has ZERO evidence of any championships at any level

The Superintendent LOVES volleyball, seriously, the Board President LOVES lacrosse. They did not like Kasper, and they do not like football. When the Team won the State Title- the Superintendent made 185 thousand per year- this year he will make maybe 187- even if the team goes 5-5. They wanted a "lower profile" team- well, if they go 6-4, they do not have to approve busses to travel to Hershey- that's for sure!!

And the board? No, they do not care either- most of them do not like football. In their mind, the switch with Seneca was a "good trade." This new coach is a "nice guy" who will make parents happy, he is a "yes man" who will do whatever admin tells him to do, and probably will do stuff like giving "even playing time."

A little off topic about sjp, but thought it would be interesting to mention. They have multiple freshman that were back ups last year receiving major power 5 offers (similar to McCord and Harrison as freshman). Also some 4 star kid transferred in from jersey. Can’t see anyone from the wpial or state beating them again for a long time. Imhotep is also loaded with p5 kids in 5A, they have a kid going into 9th grade that already has 10 plus major p5 offers. A state title in the big school classes is gonna be tough for anybody.

I agree Jacky. I hate saying, but it feels like a foregone conclusion SJP will win at least the next three state championships based on the young talent they have. That would make it 6 in a row? Wow.

Changing speeds a little bit to 6A. SV has had the size & horses but O has been bland and so so but now with the key hires to me are now in the mix. Pgh CC is loaded ,NA should contend as usual but look out for Mt. Lebo too, a lot back. QB Daniels is a 3 year started and had big numbers last year , Heidenreich, Tecza both big play types w/ 4.5 40 dash , both kids getting D1 and Ivy offers and interest. One negative their best lineman Cooper Austin who has @ least 2 Ivy league offers but got hurt in Lacrosse and might not make it back. Got size in Halter, Kline , Capristo and Harvey. Add two other rising soph also with size in the mix. They all got exp. and now bigger than last year under Palko's off season program, some rotational depth on D-line too. 6A might be more interesting than we have seen in a while. Palko made progress in year two splitting with Central, close 3 point loss in game with NA, beat SV, big loss was shitter to Cannon Mac early! So now in year 3 might have his old mojo going in the South Hills. I think 6A will be fun to watch this year.

My goodness, where to even start. Mmm, well i will go ahead, and guess what wpialcoach will say "Hey guys you need to get a grip, give Coach Campos a chance, he will do a good job!"

Well, nothing yet has been "good or encouraging."

Of course Campos is gonna compliment SV- he is "complimenting himself" having coached there

In general, totally agree, it is a total joke. Again, as i have said, i might be too pessimistic- but, nothing yet has been shown otherwise- not enough coaches, bad strength and conditioning plan, some kids have already quit, confusing and inconsistent practice plans, etc. IMO, this guy came here for 3 reasons only
1) Nice Facilities, he probably has a nice coach's office now
2) Sad to say, but a pay raise- maybe 5 thousand, now 10 thousand
3) To USE THESE KIDS to get a RING!! He has ZERO evidence of any championships at any level

The Superintendent LOVES volleyball, seriously, the Board President LOVES lacrosse. They did not like Kasper, and they do not like football. When the Team won the State Title- the Superintendent made 185 thousand per year- this year he will make maybe 187- even if the team goes 5-5. They wanted a "lower profile" team- well, if they go 6-4, they do not have to approve busses to travel to Hershey- that's for sure!!

And the board? No, they do not care either- most of them do not like football. In their mind, the switch with Seneca was a "good trade." This new coach is a "nice guy" who will make parents happy, he is a "yes man" who will do whatever admin tells him to do, and probably will do stuff like giving "even playing time."
The only good that will come out of this is the board and admin basically fried their futures here

One more. Meeting some friends tonight and will ask. Hearing a bunch of stuff.
pretty funny how quickly coaches from a program that “hazed” are hired. Definitely makes you wonder

This is pretty big news. Heard last night from both a P-R and Mars friend that Coach K, the QB Coach, WR Coach, and Assist OL coach are going to Mars to coach offense! Haven't seen anything confirms on social media yet, but that is the rumor.

Reactions: Soup13
Wow that would make things interesting. 6A WPIAL is shaping up to be the most intriguing conference in the state.

Reactions: Soup13
Wow, not surprising about those coaches going to Mars, good for them, great guys and great coaches- it is very close to where those guys live, and Mars is a nice growing community. If all this stays the same... in 3 years, PR will barely make the playoffs and Seneca Valley will be top 10 in the State in 6A, Mars will be top 10 in the State in 4A or 5A depending on enrollment

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT