ADVERTISEMENT

Pine-Richland 2017

That Wayne team would lost 4 games in PR's section. No doubt. QB weak arm. Line was soft. They weren't physical anywhere.

Ohio is solid when it comes to HS Football and is one of the top 5 states. I would take Wayne from the last 3 seasons and say they would beat 99% of PA teams pretty good. This years team is way down but they are still a very good team. They did not show that in PA in week 1 but they ran into a buzz saw that day. It is all about Match-ups and I told you guys before the game that it was a nightmare match-up for Wayne. Wayne will not see a QB like PR the rest of the way.

I understand the matchup nightmare with Jurkovec. It happens to many teams. But that doesn't explain why Wayne didn't score. If they are scoring points against Ohio teams those teams are weak and soft because Wayne couldn't score against PR JV in the second half!

Beat 99% of Pa teams . Utter nonsense !

The 2014, 2015, 2016 Wayne teams would no doubt beat 99% of PA teams.

2017 Wayne team.... no way, totally different team.

Cal-Prep power ratings:
2014 Wayne team, ranked #12 in the nation
2015 Wayne team, ranked #9 in the nation
2016 Wayne team, ranked #35 in the nation

Now, there is just under 600 schools in PA, so I am saying that Wayne would definitely beat 594 of those schools in the years I have given and would likely beat most of the remaining 6 but not necessarily all. [2015 Wayne team would of likely beaten all PA schools]

Now, would you say that the 2017 Pine Richland team would beat 99% of PA teams this year? I would be willing to say that they could beat 99% of Ohio teams this season.

No way we could ever know the answer but I am confident in those years of that Wayne team. The 2016 team was a few steps behind the other two years and may stumble but the 2015 team was loaded and I would of loved to see a 2015 Wayne vs 2017 Pine Richland....

I understand the matchup nightmare with Jurkovec. It happens to many teams. But that doesn't explain why Wayne didn't score. If they are scoring points against Ohio teams those teams are weak and soft because Wayne couldn't score against PR JV in the second half!

When PR had their JV defense out there Wayne had a freshman QB, freshman RB, freshman WR and JV players in the game. Wayne could not score on PR because of 5 turnovers. Wayne was moving the ball. PR is not 41 points better than Wayne and when I first posted on this site I stated that PR was 2 to 3 scores better. Throw in the 5 turnovers and it gets ugly.... Wayne was missing 3 starters and had others including Smith banged up and sick. No excuses as I still think PR beats a healthy Wayne team by 2 to 3 scores....

Wayne plays in a tough league. They play in the GWOC. GWOC teams played the top 3 Columbus schools this season. Trotwood defeated #1 Columbus team and top 3 in the state Pickerington Central [PC defeated #1 team in Michigan Cass-Tech as well as Indiana power Indy Cathedral)
this week, Centerville defeated #2 Pickerington North, and Wayne defeated #3 Olentangy Liberty. Those teams that lost are not weak teams.

If you want to judge the whole state of Ohio because of 1 game so be it but there were several Ohio teams that beat PA teams this season. Should I pick out one of those games and then call PA weak??? PA has strong teams and weak teams and so does Ohio. St. Edward, St. Ignatius, St. Xavier might be able to beat Pine Richland or they may not. .

Ohio is good no doubt about it. I am not judging Ohio on one game. But please stop the Ohio is the best, kind of talk. Not that you have said that but you are close with that 99% Wayne statement. I go back a long way and I am very familiar with Ohio football and Ohio HS fans. My wife went to Youngstown Cardinal Mooney, I went to college in Ohio. They as a group like to chirp and pound their chest about how great they are. And how much better they are. I like your Wayne weekly updates, please continue to provide but don't think for a second that Pa's best couldn't line up and duke it out with Ohio's best.

Ohio is good no doubt about it. I am not judging Ohio on one game. But please stop the Ohio is the best, kind of talk. Not that you have said that but you are close with that 99% Wayne statement. I go back a long way and I am very familiar with Ohio football and Ohio HS fans. My wife went to Youngstown Cardinal Mooney, I went to college in Ohio. They as a group like to chirp and pound their chest about how great they are. And how much better they are. I like your Wayne weekly updates, please continue to provide but don't think for a second that Pa's best couldn't line up and duke it out with Ohio's best.
Wood and St. Joseph Prep just beat the top 2 ranked teams in New Jersey PA football is pretty damn good. As far as Pine Richland they beat one good team so far! They are very good but best team they played was just ok.

Very dominant performance from the rams last night. Defense got back on track after Lebo and I don't think gave up a single first down to Senecas first team offense. Offense rolled as usual. Only shaky part was special teams on coverage, seemed like Seneca valley did their homework and they were trying to key in on thomas burns on the kick coverage. They got a few solid returns in.

Interesting match up coming up with penn hills, this will be penn hills first true test. They've been very hyped the past few seasons only to be very medicore, this year is no different. They have talent, a lot of speed and athleticism at all their skill positions, but in the past couple years haven't played well together. If they can play disciplined and if their line is solid this could be close, or this could be a typical penn hills team that will come in talking like they should be number one in the state and lose by 40. Overall based on their past three games, they haven't impressed me much beating plum 26-0 (bad 5A team), butler 54-21 (also will.be awful this year, my butler sources told me half the kids on the team don't even care about winning), and canon Macmillan 33-17 who aren't world beaters. The talent they have at their skill positions is very evident but I think if PR can play sound defense, limit penalties on offense, and run the ball on penn hills who's lines aren't great they can win by 30+. Hopefully Kenny white can be back for this but we will see.

Seneca Valley is not very good anywhere. I was expecting a little more from their defense, and their LB's in particular given how much hype they get. They start a new QB and he couldn't do anything, but he didn't have much help.

Penn Hills will be interesting. Lots of hype around what seems to be all their skill players. I would like to think that P-R's defense is better than Canon-Mac's, and Penn Hills QB won't throw for 470 like Lebo's. Likely that PH will make some plays but also likely that they will give up a lot more. Maybe new coaching staff can make a difference though.

Key's to game to me are if PH can actually hold P-R offense under 42 for the game, and if P-R can tackle QB when he gets flushed from the pocket to get off the field on 3rd down.

Seneca Valley is not very good anywhere. I was expecting a little more from their defense, and their LB's in particular given how much hype they get. They start a new QB and he couldn't do anything, but he didn't have much help.

Penn Hills will be interesting. Lots of hype around what seems to be all their skill players. I would like to think that P-R's defense is better than Canon-Mac's, and Penn Hills QB won't throw for 470 like Lebo's. Likely that PH will make some plays but also likely that they will give up a lot more. Maybe new coaching staff can make a difference though.

Key's to game to me are if PH can actually hold P-R offense under 42 for the game, and if P-R can tackle QB when he gets flushed from the pocket to get off the field on 3rd down.

SV lost a lot from last year, their very down this year. The first team offense led by the soph QB only had two completions for 46 yards and their run game was completely shutdown. Their line was also big on both sides of the ball but that didn't make a difference at all. I don't expect them to make the playoffs this year, I think penn hills will make the final spot in the conference. SV is young and they will be better next season.

Penn Hills has real speed and athleticism at their skill positions, question is can they play disciplined on both sides of the ball and actually play as a team. Another factor is line play, if the o line isn't good it won't be close at all simple as that. I said this beginning of season but no one will keep PR under 42, that the minimum they will score every game, that's tough for most teams to score on good opponents especially against the PR defense this year.

Looking back at last years matchup penn hills shutdown falcone and PR passing game wasn't stellar but crawford and the line took over and took advantage of penn hills weak d line. O line was awful for them last year too I remeber we were in the backfield almost every play and they ran some really dumb playcalls too, maybe new coaching staff is better too.;

I agree, I think that SJP last year could've played anyone in the country, and they easily could've taken care of saint X the D1 state champ in ohio last year. There are definitely other teams in PA that can beat wayne maybe not as decisively as PR but definitely beatable.

BTW regarding PCC watching film on them it looks like this year on offense they are running a more spread pistol look, was curious for your opinions on that and how it compares to last years offense. From what I'm seeing is that they are stagnant and still haven't really found a grove yet, and turnovers are killing them (very evident against NA). I'm curious to how they get it together with PR coming up week 5, gotta score points or else PR will break the game open.

I am no way saying Ohio is the best. No way the top teams in Ohio can compete with the top teams in California, Florida, or Texas nor could they play with Bishop Gorman NV...... When it comes to Ohio and PA I feel the two states are about even. The 2014 and 2015 Wayne teams were the #2 team in Ohio with St. Edward being the top dog. If the two states are about equal then it is not to hard to believe that the 2014 and 2015 Wayne teams would be top 5 in PA which would make them better than 99% of the PA schools. My comments about this was in response to a post that stated that Wayne was not a good program. I might have been pushing it with the 2016 Wayne team.

This years Wayne team is just a fraction of those teams and have a very tough road ahead of them. Their remaining 7 opponents are a combined 20-1. Miamisburg (3-0) is this Friday. M'burg has never beaten Wayne but this might be the year they get it done. Really nervous about this game especially since Wayne's starting QB and RB got hurt last game. Wayne has moved up to the #8 spot in Region 3. Miamisburg is currently #5 in Region 3.

Last edited:
I agree, I think that SJP last year could've played anyone in the country, and they easily could've taken care of saint X the D1 state champ in ohio last year. There are definitely other teams in PA that can beat wayne maybe not as decisively as PR but definitely beatable.

BTW regarding PCC watching film on them it looks like this year on offense they are running a more spread pistol look, was curious for your opinions on that and how it compares to last years offense. From what I'm seeing is that they are stagnant and still haven't really found a grove yet, and turnovers are killing them (very evident against NA). I'm curious to how they get it together with PR coming up week 5, gotta score points or else PR will break the game open.

Yes, they are running more of a spread. It is predicated on need, as in they(we) don't have the big play running backs who score at the blink of an eye. They have offensive talent but are still struggling to find their identity. Yes, turnovers and mistakes have held them back and killed them up in Erie. It certainly didn't help at NA. There is no comparison, personnel wise to last year's offensive team. Central is trying to pass and needs to rely on Troy Fisher for big plays to put points on the board. This is new for him. Last year he could hand it off and get a quick 6. Not this year. He did enough to beat a good but not great NA team. Missed on some deep passes so it can be frustrating. Central has receivers that get open all over the field but I see a lot of overthrown balls. Their offensive line is getting better week by week so hopefully the whole offense will improve as the season progresses. Their defense looks pretty good with a strong pass rush and an excellent secondary. As far as PR is conserned, I'm just hoping we give them a good game. Highly doubtful that we can keep up with the PR offense.

Last edited:
Reactions: new2pa
PCC, that seems like a pretty good assessment. It's not easy for everyone to adjust to new roles and takes time.

Huber Heights Wayne 56 Miamisburg 28
Miamisburg came into Huber Heights at 3-0 and gave Wayne all they could handle for one half but Wayne came out a different animal in the 2nd half and ran away from the Vikings 56-28.

McKee was on tonight for Wayne as the Warrior QB connected on a long pass to Victoria who took it to the house on the 3rd play of the game for 75 yards and it was quickly 7-0 Wayne. Miamisburg was able to put together a few first downs but was forced to punt and pinned Wayne on their own 4. Wayne went deep on the first play as McKee hit the freshman Mullins on a bomb for a 87 yard gain. Next play, McKee ran it in from 9 yards out and it was 14-0 Wayne.

Miamisburg does not average over 40 points a game for nothing and they started getting the gears to click as they picked up a huge gain as Clark took it for 65 yards to get the Vikings into the REDZONE. A few plays later they were on the board as Vongsy hit Johnson from 7 yards out.... 14-7 Wayne.

The Burg defense came up bit stopping Wayne 3 and out. The Burg offense once again got it going picking up 4 yards here and there keeping the chains moving. Looked like Wayne was going to get a stop in the REDZONE but Vongsy hit Kuehnle on a 5 yard slant for a TD.... 14-14 2nd qtr.

Miamisburg took the lead late in the 2nd taking plenty of time off the clock as Yerkins went in from 5 yards out... Miamisburg 21 Wayne 14... but there was still just over a minute left. The Wayne offense quickly moved the ball down field as McKee hit Victoria on a nice pass that got the Warriors close to the goal line. McKee punched it from a yard out and we are all tied up at 21 at the half.

Wayne made the adjustments in the 2nd half and got the ground game going. Wayne who could only muster 15 yards on the ground in the first half got Kinnel going breaking off two huge runs to get the Warriors down field. McKee would find Smith in the end zone from 20 yards out to put Wayne up 28-21. Wayne would go up 35-21 shortly after when McKee kept it for a 24 yard TD run.

The defense of Wayne was stopping the Burg run game and causing fits in the passing game as they got to Vongsy. Following another Miamisburg punt Wayne got the ball in the 4th and broke it open when McKee hit Victoria who split the defenders for a 56 yard TD pass. Miamisburg had one last breath and aided by a pass interference penalty on 3rd down they started to move the chains again and finally got it into the end zone on a Clark 1 yard run. 42-28. It took Wayne less than a minute to score again this time Kinnel on the ground for 47 yards, 49-28. Wayne added another score with backups in as Nelson took the hand off and went 51 yards to make the final 56-28.

Miamisburg 07 14 00 07 - 28
HH Wayne 14 07 14 21 - 56

total yards: Wayne 579 Miamisburg 308
passing yards: Wayne 335 Miamisburg 154
rushing yards: Wayne 28-244 Miamisburg 43-154

Wayne individual stats

QB McKee 10-18 335 yards 3 TD's, 13 rushes 57 yards 3 TD's
RB Kinnel 12-134 yards 1 TD
RB Nelson 1-51 1 TD
WR Victoria 6-210 2 TD's
WR Smith 3-38 1 TD
WR Mullins 1-87

Yerkins had 71 yards rushing for MB on 18 carries 1 TD, Clark had 89 on 15 carries 1 TD
=================================

Great game for McKee, Victoria, and Kinnel ... the O-line did better. Great adjustments made by the coaching changing the defense and stopping Miamisburg in the 2nd half.

Wayne improves to 3-1 and will travel to 3-1 Northmont next Friday.

Wayne's defeated opponents all won tonight, Olentangy Liberty knocked off Hilliard Davidson and Clarkson North defeated Eerie McDowell PA....

Reactions: JACKY6996
Some thought on the Penn Hills game then some more on the season so far.

Penn Hills is the exact same Penn Hills team that have been for the past several years. Average. They will beat every team they should beat and lose to everyone they should lose too. I was expecting a better performance from their offensive skill guys based on the social media chatter, and they did make some plays, but always shot themselves in the foot due to disorganization or something. The probably could have scored 14-17 if they could have executed a little better, but didn't. Defensively, I have to give them credit that they did shut down Falcone. Looked like they had a couple guys over him all the time. The good news is that P-R's outside WR opposite him had big games. Goltz and Bally combined for over 100 yards, and Goltz had a spectacular TD catch on a missile from Jurkovec. First time I can remember getting much production out of that spot since 2014. That's a huge step forward. But the offense continues to be frustrating to watch. Last week they were lights out and scored 6 times in the first half. Against PH they scored 5 TD's but easily could have had 3 or 4 more. I know they had at least 3 TO's in the Redzone. Against good teams, that will kill them. Gotta get better.

For the season, here's what I'm seeing. Also, check out P-R's maxpreps site - looks like it has good info on who's doing what.

First, their defense is tremendously improved. The first team offense has not allowed a TD in at least the past 8 quarters. The returning kids that I thought were good are performing well. Top 5 tacklers are:

King: 41 tackles - playing like an absolute beast running plays down from everywhere. Has been the best and most impressive kid on the D. This kid could be earning himself some offers soon if he keeps it up.

Jochem: 36 - he's playing a cover 2 safety this year and it looks like Coach K is letting him play anywhere he wants in the box where he can use his nose for the ball. He and King are easily best two tacklers on the team.

Cerminara: 31 - the perfect gap plugging run stopping LB that we've needed. His instincts are really good and he plays downhill. He also has shown surprising quickness, with an INT and a couple pass broken up over the middle.

Camino: 24 - Didn't play much defense after early last year but looks like he is thriving at DE. He's usually a better athlete than the OT's he's going against and his pass rush has been really good.

Crawford: 20 - best tackling CB and is very aggressive. Looks like on defense he is always to the wide side of the field. Not sure why, but he's does a great job coming up, beating WR's and making plays.

Meckler: 19 - perfect compliment to Jochem at safety - very fast, aggressive, and fearless. Can cover slot WR's and still be a good run support guy.

Burns: 14 - not many tackles but this kid is so fast. Unless he falls down, he can't be beat on any deep or crossing routes. A couple times in the last two games he's been "beat" but by the time the ball is there he is knocking it down. Stud on special teams too.

Also, there DL has been very good - not a ton of splash plays but solid - not getting driven off the ball. Their one big weakness that I've seen is their outside LB. Lebo crushed them running and passing outside, and Penn Hills attacked the same spot. I've seen a couple kids rotate through, but nothing of consequence. Kind passive and not real tough or athletic. I'm hoping that as soon as Kenny White is healthy, they will give him a shot there. Would be a playmaker that would be in position to wreck havoc in both the pass and run game. He's got the combination of size and athletic ability that no one else on the team has. If that happens, this could be a very elite defense. Still gotta stop PCC and NA, but with PCC I guess being more spread and NA being a little down, perhaps P-R would be best suited to put more athletes on the field instead of pluggers. But this is a good problem to have.

Offense has been hit and miss. They either look lights out or just average. Wayne and SV they were lights out. Lebo and Penn Hills, just average. (Ya, ya, I know they scored 53 vs. Lebo and 36 verses P.H. Expectations are high!)

Jurkovec is really good. That's obvious. But it seems like he's at his best when he is taking short stuff most of the time, and selectively taking deep throws. Against Lebo and PH, it seemed like he was just forcing it deep too much and they got way out of sync.

They have been rotating a ton of kids through at RB since White has been hurt. Crawford is still the main man, but Meckler, Cerminara (pounder) and a sophomore have all gotten reps and done pretty well. I think they have been smart to limit Jurkovec's run attempts too. According to that MaxPreps site, he's only got 23 carries on the year - he had that many in single games at times last year. They will definitely need him down the road. The OL has also done better running the ball than last year. Still a work in progress, and sometimes it seems that they need to call more runs to get them in Sync. The three returners (Kristofic, Katic, and Dorundo) look to have all added about 30lbs and are still really quick. The two first year starters seem to be fine too - don't really notice them, so I guess that's good.

At, WR, everyone knew Falcone was a stud, but Defrancisis is currently the leading WR and is on pace for a 1000 yard season too. Both those kids could end up with 60-80 catches and 1200-1400 yards. Opposite Falcone has been Goltz and Bally - combined they have 11 catches and about 150 yards. That's really good from a position we only got about 15 catches out of last year. In the long run, I hope that balance pays off. Jochem has been solid as the inside WR, with 10 catches. And King has been a stud on offense too, blowing people out when he's in at FB. He's also a really good pass catcher so I would expect to see some plays for him at some point.

Here's the summary. Defense has been really good but need to find one more kid to be great IMO. Offense needs to be more consistent and keep getting better in the run game. Oh, and limit turnnovers!

Last edited:
Thanks for the wayne update OhioHSFBfan!

Some thought on the Penn Hills game then some more on the season so far.

Penn Hills is the exact same Penn Hills team that have been for the past several years. Average. They will beat every team they should beat and lose to everyone they should lose too. I was expecting a better performance from their offensive skill guys based on the social media chatter, and they did make some plays, but always shot themselves in the foot due to disorganization or something. The probably could have scored 14-17 if they could have executed a little better, but didn't. Defensively, I have to give them credit that they did shut down Falcone. Looked like they had a couple guys over him all the time. The good news is that P-R's outside WR opposite him had big games. Goltz and Bally combined for over 100 yards, and Goltz had a spectacular TD catch on a missile from Jurkovec. First time I can remember getting much production out of that spot since 2014. That's a huge step forward. But the offense continues to be frustrating to watch. Last week they were lights out and scored 6 times in the first half. Against PH they scored 5 TD's but easily could have had 3 or 4 more. I know they had at least 3 TO's in the Redzone. Against good teams, that will kill them. Gotta get better.

For the season, here's what I'm seeing. Also, check out P-R's maxpreps site - looks like it has good info on who's doing what.

First, their defense is tremendously improved. The first team offense has not allowed a TD in at least the past 8 quarters. The returning kids that I thought were good are performing well. Top 5 tacklers are:

King: 41 tackles - playing like an absolute beast running plays down from everywhere. Has been the best and most impressive kid on the D. This kid could be earning himself some offers soon if he keeps it up.

Jochem: 36 - he's playing a cover 2 safety this year and it looks like Coach K is letting him play anywhere he wants in the box where he can use his nose for the ball. He and King are easily best two tacklers on the team.

Cerminara: 31 - the perfect gap plugging run stopping LB that we've needed. His instincts are really good and he plays downhill. He also has shown surprising quickness, with an INT and a couple pass broken up over the middle.

Camino: 24 - Didn't play much defense after early last year but looks like he is thriving at DE. He's usually a better athlete than the OT's he's going against and his pass rush has been really good.

Crawford: 20 - best tackling CB and is very aggressive. Looks like on defense he is always to the wide side of the field. Not sure why, but he's does a great job coming up, beating WR's and making plays.

Meckler: 19 - perfect compliment to Jochem at safety - very fast, aggressive, and fearless. Can cover slot WR's and still be a good run support guy.

Burns: 14 - not many tackles but this kid is so fast. Unless he falls down, he can't be beat on any deep or crossing routes. A couple times in the last two games he's been "beat" but by the time the ball is there he is knocking it down. Stud on special teams too.

Also, there DL has been very good - not a ton of splash plays but solid - not getting driven off the ball. Their one big weakness that I've seen is their outside LB. Lebo crushed them running and passing outside, and Penn Hills attacked the same spot. I've seen a couple kids rotate through, but nothing of consequence. Kind passive and not real tough or athletic. I'm hoping that as soon as Kenny White is healthy, they will give him a shot there. Would be a playmaker that would be in position to wreck havoc in both the pass and run game. He's got the combination of size and athletic ability that no one else on the team has. If that happens, this could be a very elite defense. Still gotta stop PCC and NA, but with PCC I guess being more spread and NA being a little down, perhaps P-R would be best suited to put more athletes on the field instead of pluggers. But this is a good problem to have.

Offense has been hit and miss. They either look lights out or just average. Wayne and SV they were lights out. Lebo and Penn Hills, just average. (Ya, ya, I know they scored 53 vs. Lebo and 36 verses P.H. Expectations are high!)

Jurkovec is really good. That's obvious. But it seems like he's at his best when he is taking short stuff most of the time, and selectively taking deep throws. Against Lebo and PH, it seemed like he was just forcing it deep too much and they got way out of sync.

They have been rotating a ton of kids through at RB since White has been hurt. Crawford is still the main man, but Meckler, Cerminara (pounder) and a sophomore have all gotten reps and done pretty well. I think they have been smart to limit Jurkovec's run attempts too. According to that MaxPreps site, he's only got 23 carries on the year - he had that many in single games at times last year. They will definitely need him down the road. The OL has also done better running the ball than last year. Still a work in progress, and sometimes it seems that they need to call more runs to get them in Sync. The three returners (Kristofic, Katic, and Dorundo) look to have all added about 30lbs and are still really quick. The two first year starters seem to be fine too - don't really notice them, so I guess that's good.

At, WR, everyone knew Falcone was a stud, but Defrancisis is currently the leading WR and is on pace for a 1000 yard season too. Both those kids could end up with 60-80 catches and 1200-1400 yards. Opposite Falcone has been Goltz and Bally - combined they have 11 catches and about 150 yards. That's really good from a position we only got about 15 catches out of last year. In the long run, I hope that balance pays off. Jochem has been solid as the inside WR, with 10 catches. And King has been a stud on offense too, blowing people out when he's in at FB. He's also a really good pass catcher so I would expect to see some plays for him at some point.

Anyway, here's the summary. Defense has been really good but need to find one more kid to be great IMO. Offense needs to be more consistent and keep getting better in the run game. Oh, and limit turnnovers!

Good write up new2pa. Penn Hills was very undisciplined and acted very immature the whole game. Didn't shake hands at coin toss, talking after every play, and getting penalzied all night. They had a player cramp up after every other play too. Imo that's on their coach, and people wonder why ledonne never got a good culture at shaler. Wayne did the same thing, theres no place for it in the sport no matter how much of a "rivarly" penn hills thinks they have with PR. Penn Hills has a lot of athletes, they made a few plays on offense but on defense their speed slowed down PR in the secondary. It was the same story as last year, they shut falcone down and slowed the passing game but crawford ran over them. The turnovers need to be fixed (only PH points came off a fumble return for a TD on botched handoff), that was a little ridicolus and it will cost them big with bethel on the road this week, but I think they won't be facing a team with penn hills athletes and that is a large part of what slowed them a bit.

Bethel is going to be a challenge this week. They have a good setup to upset PR, run the ball to keep phil and the offense off the field, and play sound defense and if they do their homework try to see what lebo and penn hills did to slow PR down scheme wise. The front 7 of PR will be challenged by bethels line and stable of backs (volaptti and deloneo). Bethel's weakness is their passing game, their still breaking in a new QB, if pr can stack the box and make them pass I like the matchup on the outside with burns and the other CB's. None the less I expect a close game throughout.

King and Cerminara have been the difference makers this year on defense. Without them it wouldn't be the same. Both bring physicality and are always making plays. Secondary has been very solid led by jochem penn hills made a few plays but its expetected with their athletes. DL is so much improved from last year where every play they were getting blown off the ball. Only issue I see there is depth, alot of o linemen play there.

The they have a very nice stable of backs like you said, crawford has the versitility to line up wide or in the slot and meckler is a burner with cerminara being the power back. Exposing jurkovec to all those hits last year wasn't smart at all and it unfortunately took it's toll. They don't have the kind of back up that they did last year in devinney, so protecting him is utmost importance.

For WR ballay's a better blocker (he's listed at 6'1 205 so he's bigger than all DB's he's across and some linebackers as well) his hands aren't great but he can set the edge well for the run game. Defrancis and falcone are both the main targets and they have some nice complimentary guys in goltz, jochem, and crawford out wide too. Bethel doesn't have the same athletes as penn hills in the secondary so I hope that they get the passing game in rythm, last year if I remember we were dropping passes like crazy against them and jurkovec only had 6 completions.

Huber Heights Wayne 38 Northmont 35
Wayne traveled across I70 and up to US40 to take on the Bolts in a key region 3 rivalry game. Wayne came in 4th in the Harbin points rating and 9th in the state in the V2S power ratings while Northmont was 9th in the region and 34th in the state. Wayne was projected to win by 8.

Wayne took the opening kickoff and moved the ball down the field through the air using freshman Austin Mullins as the main target. A few minutes later McKee found Mullins from 7 yards out, 7-0 Wayne. After a quick stop Wayne was at it again. While they could not run the ball effectively they were not having problems with the air game and Wayne went up 13-0 following a 10 yard TD pass from McKee to Smith.

Wayne made it 21-0 in the 2nd qtr as McKee found Mullins again for a TD pass, McKee ran it in for the 2 point conversion. At this point it looked like it was going to be a blow out but then something happened and that something was #28 for Northmont Devin Kenerly. He took the hand off and got drilled at the line but continues to move forward carrying Wayne defenders with him for a 7 yard gain. That might not seem much but it sparked the Bolt crowd and the team and from that moment on Northmont became a different team. Faced with a 4th and goal on the 6 Northmont went for it and cashed in as Johnson found Walker for a 6 yard TD reception.

21-7 at the half....

Northmont started out with the ball in the 3rd but got stopped 3 and out. Wayne was not able to do much on offense either. Northmont cut it to 21-14 midway in the 3rd as Kenerly was moving the chains on carries but it was Mathis that brought in a 6 yard pass from Johnson for the score. Wayne though quickly answered as they drove down the field and scored as McKee hit Smith on a 21 yard TD pass, 28-14. Northmont responded with a TD before the 3rd qtr ended on a 8 yard QB keeper by Johnson... 28-21 Wayne after 3.

Following a key 4th down stop by Northmont near midfield the Bolts were driving but got stopped on the 35. A punt pinned Wayne deep. A few plays later though and the Bolts had the ball back as Zile picked off a pass and returned it to Wayne's 2 yard line. 3 plays later Northmont pounded it in on a Johnson 1 yard sneak... 28-28 with 8:42 left. The defenses stepped up as both teams made key stops late in the game. Northmont got stopped on downs with just over a minute to go deep in Wayne's territory. Wayne quickly answered but also got stopped on downs and off to over time we go.

It only took 2 plays for Wayne to score in OT as McKee ran it twice the 2nd from 4 yards out, 35-28 Wayne. Before the Bolts could snap the ball Wayne got called for off sides one of numerous penalties on Wayne this game setting up the Bolts in great position. Johnson scored a few plays later from 8 yards out, PAT was good 35-35.

Wayne's defense made back to back big plays on the Bolts 2nd possession in OT. Stuffing the run and then forcing a pass that was picked off by Harris. A McKee run got Wayne to the 5 but a penalty moved the Warriors back. Not messing around McKee centered the ball on the next run and Russel came in to attempt the game winning FG. Russel drilled the 27 yarder giving Wayne a key 38-35 win over GWOC rival Northmont.

What a game and great atmosphere. Kenerly was the best RB Wayne has faced this season. Wayne improves to 4-1 while Northmont drops to 3-2

Game Stats:

total offense: Wayne 323 Northmont 298
passing: Wayne 207 Northmont 117
rushing: Wayne 33-116 Northmont 41-181
turnovers: Wayne 3 Northmont 3

Wayne had 12 penalties in this game to Northmont's 4... most were pre-snap.

Wayne individual stats:

QB McKee 20-36 207 yards 4 TD's 2 int / 21 rushes 86 yards 1 TD
RB Kinnel 12-30 yards
WR Mullins 7-63 2 TD's
WR Smith 5-74 2 TD's
WR Victoria 6-47
WR Turner 2-23

Northmont some individual stats:

QB Johnson 11-29 117 yards 2 TD's 2 int / 11 rushes 11 yards 3 TD's
RB Kenerly 26-145
WR Wallace 5-31
WR Mathis 2-16 TD
WR Perkins 2-52
WR Foy 1-12
WR Walker 1-6 TD

=========================================

A win is a win but Wayne's O-line is going to have to improve. Up next for Wayne is hated rival Centerville who is 5-0 and #1 in region 3 but atleast the Warriors have them at home..... Elk week starts now!!!!!

P-R continues to look very solid. The were absolutely lights out on offense, scoring 54 in one half, including 40 in the second quarter, versus Bethel Park, who had the #1 defense in the WPIAL 6A to this point in the year. Jurkovec is distributing the ball very well, and they are beginning to run the ball a little bit more consistently.

Defensively, besides a couple big runs, they stuffed Bethel's offense throughout the first half. Bethel was really hurt not having any passing game. P-R loaded the box and dared them to throw.

Hard to tell about these teams. Bethel beat NA 35-14 and PCC beat NA 14-7. This week P-R has PCC. Should be a great game!

PR vs PCC a great game? I think we will be seeing another mercy rule. PCC can't throw, will try to run but the offensive line isn't half of what it was the past two years. I don't see this game being competitive. Hope I'm wrong, but the film tells a different story. Anyone that knows anything about football and watched tape on Bethel would have known what the result would have been Friday night. It was easy to tell within 15 minutes that they couldn't throw or stop the pass.

PR vs PCC a great game? I think we will be seeing another mercy rule. PCC can't throw, will try to run but the offensive line isn't half of what it was the past two years. I don't see this game being competitive. Hope I'm wrong, but the film tells a different story. Anyone that knows anything about football and watched tape on Bethel would have known what the result would have been Friday night. It was easy to tell within 15 minutes that they couldn't throw or stop the pass.

I agree, especially since PCC has quite a few injuries now. What I predicted earlier was exactly what happened against bethel: they couldn't stop PR and their offense couldn't keep up. PR's front 7 on defense deserves respect, they've been playing amazing this season. First team defense has only given up 1 touchdown now in 12 quarters.

I expect PR to run the score up on PCC, and I don't see them calling the dogs off until the 3rd quarter. Word I've heard is that they plan on sending a "message".

Great game, that would be great. But let's be real here. This year's Central team is not one of their best. Their final legacy still remains to be seen.

Last edited:
I agree, especially since PCC has quite a few injuries now. What I predicted earlier was exactly what happened against bethel: they couldn't stop PR and their offense couldn't keep up. PR's front 7 on defense deserves respect, they've been playing amazing this season. First team defense has only given up 1 touchdown now in 12 quarters.

I expect PR to run the score up on PCC, and I don't see them calling the dogs off until the 3rd quarter. Word I've heard is that they plan on sending a "message".

Yea I've heard the same thing but WTF is that all about. Makes Coach K look like the ass that he is !

Yea I've heard the same thing but WTF is that all about. Makes Coach K look like the ass that he is !

Coach K's a pretty good guy if you've met him, but I think after the past two years everyone at PR wants to beat PCC down.

If he's an ass what is Dave Fleming? And i say that with the utmost respect for the defense he pulls together each year. But come on!

On another note, I just find it hard to believe that it will be a huge blowout. PCC may not have as much talent, but they do have athletes and athletes can make plays. Maybe its more on the offense not doing much which will make it hard. Fischer needs to have the best game of his career this week I think.

If he's an ass what is Dave Fleming? And i say that with the utmost respect for the defense he pulls together each year. But come on!

On another note, I just find it hard to believe that it will be a huge blowout. PCC may not have as much talent, but they do have athletes and athletes can make plays. Maybe its more on the offense not doing much which will make it hard. Fischer needs to have the best game of his career this week I think.

I'm almost positive that the message that was being talked about is meant for people like fleming. Guys got a big mouth for sure...

After PCC's performance against seneca valley, I think this is gonna get ugly to be truthful. Seneca valley isn't very good at all this year, there's a chance they don't even make the playoffs. Athletes or not if a team doesn't play well together it doesn't matter, look at penn hills as a good example. I think the way PR's defense is playing fisher will need to be perfect every play to keep them in it, and that's a very big task.

Wow! Thought BP would offer more, running enough to prevent matching scores; a race no team in this state can win. Plus, can’t be one-dimensional against them.

Evidently matching scores is the only way to stay with or beat them. You can find teams with a decent pass rush but nobody has that many cover people, not at the HS level.

I agree with jacky, this will be a blowout. Fisher does not have the ability to keep them in the game. PR defense is paying elite and nasty. I would think PR won't call the dogs off early in this one.

Wasn't aware that Fleming was such a bad guy or a big mouth. He's always been very respectful to me. Remember, he's a Hazelwood city guy, the son of Rooster Fleming, a very colorful Pgh legend to say the least. They are tough guys. You wouldn't want to mess with that crowd.

BTW way, what is the message. I guess he's saying he's going to humiliate a bunch of high school kids.

Not that it will matter come Friday but Fisher is currently 2-0 versus versus Jergovich.
I'm almost positive that the message that was being talked about is meant for people like fleming. Guys got a big mouth for sure...

After PCC's performance against seneca valley, I think this is gonna get ugly to be truthful. Seneca valley isn't very good at all this year, there's a chance they don't even make the playoffs. Athletes or not if a team doesn't play well together it doesn't matter, look at penn hills as a good example. I think the way PR's defense is playing fisher will need to be perfect every play to keep them in it, and that's a very big task.

Actually, SV played great against Central Friday night. They got some breaks, Brian Dallas went down in the first defensive series, never to return. The defense is not the same without him. SV got a tipped ball that resulted in a 70 yard TD. They fumbled inside Central's 5 yard line, kicked the ball into the end zone. The Central kids thought that they recovered it but it was ruled TD for Seneca. Looked like to me that Central's game plan was to establish the run with Weathers. They never threw deep. But I can't take anything away from the Seneca Valley kids, they came to play. It will be interesting to see how they do in their remaining games.

Last edited:
Wasn't aware that Fleming was such a bad guy or a big mouth. He's always been very respectful to me. Remember, he's a Hazelwood city guy, the son of Rooster Fleming, a very colorful Pgh legend to say the least. They are tough kids, much tougher than the North Hill's punks.

BTW way, what is the message. I guess he's saying he's going to humiliate a bunch of high school kids.

Not that it will matter come Friday but Fisher is currently 2-0 versus versus Jergovich.

Actually, SV played great against Central Friday night. They got some breaks, Brian Dallas went down in the first defensive series, never to return. The defense is not the same without him. SV got a tipped ball that resulted in a 70 yard TD. They fumbled inside Central's 5 yard line, kicked the ball into the end zone. The Central kids thought that they recovered it but it was ruled TD for Seneca. Looked like to me that Central's game plan was to establish the run with Weathers. They never threw deep. But I can't take anything away from the Seneca Valley kids, they came to play. It will be interesting to see how they do in their remaining games.

Fisher isn't 2-0 against Jurkovec. The offensive line is. They can only win by running the ball all day and he completes 3 passes. When the running game disappeared it exposed him.

Wasn't aware that Fleming was such a bad guy or a big mouth. He's always been very respectful to me. Remember, he's a Hazelwood city guy, the son of Rooster Fleming, a very colorful Pgh legend to say the least. They are tough kids, much tougher than the North Hill's punks.

fisher is 2-0 against "jergovich" (BTW, *jurkovec, you know better) because he's been surrounded by a much better team the past two meetings. If that comment implies fisher is anywhere near jurkovec as a QB you're smoking crack.

Seneca valley is not good, PCC should be very concerned. PCC is going to have to pass to beat PR, I think the PR run defense is too good and I don't think PCC is gonna be able to consistently move the ball through the pass. Like I said this one could get ugly fast.

Reactions: football.6a

Central can throw, saying they can't is a little over the top!

I love rivalries. Intentional misspellings! People named Rooster! Misapplied stats! And comparing the tough guys from Hazelwood to the "North Hills punks"

Now, back to the earlier comment, unless someone actually talked to Coach K and he said that they are going to run it up, then I think a lot of this is hype. There is nothing in his track record to say he would do that. (As long as you acknowledge that playing starters in first half's of games is ok no matter what the score - like at BP.) Even during the Wayne game on ESPN, the starters only played 1 series in the second half.

I guess I am on record saying this may be a closer game than people think. Definitely believe P-R is a winner though.

Wow! Thought BP would offer more, running enough to prevent matching scores; a race no team in this state can win. Plus, can’t be one-dimensional against them.

Evidently matching scores is the only way to stay with or beat them. You can find teams with a decent pass rush but nobody has that many cover people, not at the HS level.

That's pretty much it. I could see a cold rainy night in November causes P-R some problems, but even then, a team has to score - probably on offense and defense or special teams. Also, it doesn't seem like in HS teams play much nickle so matchups are really hard.

Still think P-R needs to be a little better running. Enter White.

I love rivalries. Intentional misspellings! People named Rooster! Misapplied stats! And comparing the tough guys from Hazelwood to the "North Hills punks"

Now, back to the earlier comment, unless someone actually talked to Coach K and he said that they are going to run it up, then I think a lot of this is hype. There is nothing in his track record to say he would do that. (As long as you acknowledge that playing starters in first half's of games is ok no matter what the score - like at BP.) Even during the Wayne game on ESPN, the starters only played 1 series in the second half.

I guess I am on record saying this may be a closer game than people think. Definitely believe P-R is a winner though.

I hope your are right about Coach K not being the source of the sending a message crap. It would not serve him well in the seasons to come and it would be the height of stupidity. I live in the Pine Richland school district and I have heard this second hand threat quite a few times, recently. So I hope the boosters are the source of this running the score up stuff. Oh and I have no problem with a team trying to score as much as they can in the first half. if they can do it then by all means do it.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT