ADVERTISEMENT

Pine-Richland 2017

new2pa

Nov 9, 2014
Instead of overwhelming other threads, it seems like there are enough of us on here just for a P-R thread.

Question: How is Wayne - they have a D1 WR and DE going to Kentucky and return their QB. Top 50 team in the country according to that poll in the other thread. Anybody know anything about the rest of their returners?

They added a three star LB who transferred in, forgot the name. They had anouther receiver coming back and a few linemen on both sides of the ball.

Wayne: brief history….recent.
Wayne (11-1) fell short again last year losing to Pickerington Central in Ohio’s Big School Classification, Division-1, in the Regional Finals (Qtr Finals) 17-14, with Pickerington Central losing to St. Xavier 29-27 in the semifinals. St. X went on to beat St. Ignatius in the final 27-20.

Winning all their games by an average score of 42-11 saw few challenges except for always strong Trotwood-Madison, 17-6, who lost in the Div-III final to Bishop Hoban. In 2014 and 2015, Wayne lost in the finals to St. Edward 31-21 and again to St. Ed’s 45-35 in 2015, going 13-2 and 14-1 respectively. Their 4 year won-loss is 49-6.

Last year’s team was loaded, returning enough starters to have them favored and ranked 2nd in a number of state polls. Most of the experience was at the skill positions. The real surprise was the sophomore Rashad McKee (6-1, 190) beating out 2 upper classman to win the quarterback position, completing 141 of 197 for 2125 yards for a completion percentage of 72 with a 24/6 Td/Pick ratio. Those are good stats through Coffman, missing the last playoff game with Central. Most of the running backs have graduated, Fred Pitts, 1216, Josh Foster 571, Kevin Wright 259, and 3 receivers, Matt Wilcox, Trew Davis and Ray Jones with 80 receptions for 1248 yards. But his lead receiver returns, WR-Christian Smith (6-6, 210, Sr) with 44 receptions for 718 yards and Steven Victoria (6-0, 175, jr). Smith is arguably the top receiver in the state while LB Alex Reigelsperger (6-5, 235, sr) is being heavily recruited. They have some losses on the lines particularly OL’ers Ben Jackson 6-2, 265; Sean Martin 6-3, 330 and Mazon Walker 6-3, 330, believe just DL.

It’s Wayne so they’re always ranked high and have enough blowouts for backups getting considerable playing time. Cleveland.com has them #1 in the preseason, followed by St. Ignatius, St. Edward, Pickerington Central, St. Xavier, Fairfield, Archbishop Moeller, Elder, Colerain, Toledo Whitmer. Cincinnati schools kicking ass as usual.
** new2pa, I think you're referring to CSmith and AlexR mentioned above.

Last edited:
Reactions: lilromeo and new2pa
I hope this dissension doesn't permeate from the parents to the players, it usual does. If Pittsburgh parents are this vocal about alleged favoritism in July on a eastern PA website, I can image what is being discussed in living rooms and the Richland Hotel. PR has another good chance at a title if they can execute but sounds like they need to overcome some internal issues.

Reactions: lilromeo and new2pa
These are the first time I've heard of these so called internal issues, and from what I've heard they're being overly exaggerated or untrue. The one about a kid being kicked out of starting spot for no reason but to play favorites is unture, the coaches wanted to split his spot with other kids for certain plays. Not sure what was up on that other thread.

St Jo Prep 19, Archbishop Wood 92, as stated earlier these are wild estimates based on past performance and who is returning not as much. Anyway they are what they are.

Yeah I agree, I don't know as much about eastern teams but didn't prep and wood both lose a considerable amount of starters, including the best RB in the country in Dandre swift? IMO pcc shouldn't even be in top 100 with all they lost, they're going to be a very young team this year with lots of unknowns.

If PR stays healthy (line depth?) it's theirs to lose if I'm reading my crystal ball correctly. A little hazy (ok, a lot) but getting there. And if the fickle finger of fate (and form) hold, it sure looks like Pine Richland and Wilson in the 6A West Final. Kills me to say that as Central Dauphin will reload and Cumberland Valley has a great core. Harrisburg is the bad ass in 3 but they’re at 5A.

If PR stays healthy (line depth?) it's theirs to lose if I'm reading my crystal ball correctly. A little hazy (ok, a lot) but getting there. And if the fickle finger of fate (and form) hold, it sure looks like Pine Richland and Wilson in the 6A West Final. Kills me to say that as Central Dauphin will reload and Cumberland Valley has a great core. Harrisburg is the bad ass in 3 but they’re at 5A.

How is state college suppose to look this upcoming season?

They’ll start off strong probably 5-0 with a weak schedule of JP McCaskey (Lancaster High), Hollidaysburg, Mifflin County, Mechanicsburg and Carlisle but pay for it playing strong stuff vs Cumberland Valley, CD East, Harrisburg and Central Dauphin the back half, especially playing CV, Hbg and CD away. Also play Chambersburg who has been struggling.

Lost a lot from a good defense with offense returning considerable skill plus experienced Qb #2. But State High always has the bodies. They look diminished from last year, good, but less especially with a brutal road, but who knows what kind of momentum they build if all goes well the opening 5 games.

Stopped by richland park after work and talked to some of the youth parents there. About 25-30 kids out per grade. That seems really good this day in age. Not sure what the middle school team has, but the program should have some strong numbers for the near future.

I believe this upcoming year they've got around 70 kids on the roster, not bad. From what I've heard this upcoming freshman class is very strong, and has a potential jurkovec replacement at QB.

70 plus freshman? Or 70 including freshman?

Expectations are pretty high on the QB after DiNucci and Jurkovec (and the backup kid last year who played well).

70 on the varsity roster excluding freshman since they have their own team and they don't dress with the varsity for games.

Reactions: new2pa
I believe this upcoming year they've got around 70 kids on the roster, not bad. From what I've heard this upcoming freshman class is very strong, and has a potential jurkovec replacement at QB.

Upcoming quarterback won the state junior high wrestling title last March at 147 I believe. Kid is an exceptional athlete. Just keep them coming off the assembly line.

Actually, looking at that bracket, the top 3 finishers are all football talents, with Spencer from Pine-Richland their next quarterback, KiShawn Higgins a receiver at Erie Cathedral Prep, and Dom Falcone a linebacker at Easton.

Let us know how he looks if you hear.

Are they practicing at night at all or all during the day?

A big time a transfer is coming to PR within the next week. I won't say anything until it's official but PR is ridiculously loaded now.

It's a skill player who will mainly be defense but I'd imagine will get in on offense too.

A big time a transfer is coming to PR within the next week. I won't say anything until it's official but PR is ridiculously loaded now.
Is this the same Pine Richland who complained about St. Joseph Prep's recruiting?

Is this the same Pine Richland who complained about St. Joseph Prep's recruiting?

I don't know who you are guy but the answer is no. Btw this is an out of state transfer so no recruiting has been involved.

The schools with the most discussed transfers on here this year seem to be North Penn, Pine Richland, and Neumann Goretti...Didn't hear about any to Prep, Wood, TEP, LS, or PCC.

PCC gets them every year, normally big time players. Pine Richland gets one over the past decade and it's big news

Reactions: JACKY6996
Like we know who you are. And yes your coach was complaining

Yeah last I recalled this was called PA football talk, not eastern PA football talk. I'm not a coach, but I've heard every coach complain about it, public and private, because it's truthfully getting absurd with the transfers. But I was simply spreading news.

All public schools complain about it and I can see their point. There were some schools considering not playing against PCC last year.

Simply spreading news as well. NP and PR transfers were highly discussed here, I did not hear about any from the others. I don't consider any of them big news.

Simply spreading news as well. NP and PR transfers were highly discussed here, I did not hear about any from the others. I don't consider any of them big news.

My comment wasn't directed at you, but yes that is correct. I haven't heard of any big names going to PCC this season, I don't follow the east enough to know the big names moving there. White was the only big transfer to pr before the one I heard about this morning, and I've read on here that NP got a few big names as well. PR had two other kids transfer in too but they are jv starters at most.

I'm surprised North Allgheny isn't being talked about more, they got 6 or 7 kids from north catholic and an out of state move in WR.

Last edited:
You guys make me laugh down here in North Carolina we have choice transfer hell we just picked up a 3star RB this week . High school coaches here could recruit in the SEC as much as it goes on here. Get used to it the trend is not changing

You guys make me laugh down here in North Carolina we have choice transfer hell we just picked up a 3star RB this week . High school coaches here could recruit in the SEC as much as it goes on here. Get used to it the trend is not changing

We would be happy about transfer rules and recruiting. Would welcome it across the board. Problem now is that the private schools are the only ones that are allowed to do it, and they play in the same league and conferences as the public schools. Little unfair, don't ya think.

What is the old saying if you ain't cheating you ant trying. If I was a public school coach I would recruit until I got caught to keep up with the private school and not feel bad about it

What is the old saying if you ain't cheating you ant trying. If I was a public school coach I would recruit until I got caught to keep up with the private school and not feel bad about it

Trust me, most do. But the league holds hearings for everyone that tries to go from public to public and in 85% of he cases denies eligibility.

Look let's be honest Pine Richland, North Allegheny, has so many resources and financial backing that they do not need to recruit, kids want to go there , so I See them to continue to reload. Now where this could hurt are teams like Woodland Hiils, McKeesport, Penn Hills, Steel Valley Clairton ect Where those schools with a ton of athletes could go to a school with $$$$ and a modern offense. If this happens and it will you will have 6-8 Schools in the WPIAL that are like those you see in North Jersey and in Florida

Kids wanting to go to a school and parents being able to make that happen for a variety of reasons is a completely different issue. I'm sure many kids would love to go to Pine Richland. Finding reasonably priced housing in the township is next to
Impossible. I've seen this first hand.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT