ADVERTISEMENT

Pine-Richland 2017

Was Sunseri going to play? Only a 10th grader. Good blood lines though!

He was/will play DB this year as part of a rotation. Last year he played excellent teams. First man down the field on kick offs. I expect him to be a big part of their D. If Troy goes down, God forbid, look for Sunseri to be the next man up after he get's medical approval for contact.

Just saw where David Green will announce his college decision in an hour. Hoping it's Pitt.

For the PR guys : Btw , PCC has lost 4 starters, already. I anticipate a severe challenge for my Vikings on Friday in Erie versus Cathedral Prep last year's PIAA Quad A state champs. The word is they have more seasoned talent than Central. I 'll be there in the flesh.
Erie will be using the SJP blueprint to beat PCC

Reactions: JACKY6996
That's unfortunate about PCC players. I think they will have a bit of a down year finishing second to PR but next year they will be strong.

Also @new2pa heard the burns kid hasn't been at practice the past couple days, not sure what's up with that. I heard he finished his heat acclimation or whatever and he could put pads on. TBH wouldn't surprise me if he wasn't starting against Wayne,

Erie will be using the SJP blueprint to beat PCC

Does that means throw the ball?. When I see some of the local teams line up and try and pound PCC, it just doesn't make sense to me. Even in "down" years, they will still have studs in the front 7. But running does keep the clock moving and minimizes the chance for a blowout (See PR's 63-34 loss to PCC in the playoffs last year as an example of that.)

SJP was an interesting team on defense last year too. They weren't nearly as big as PCC but executed the game play the way every WPIAL team needed to. IIRC, from watching the game, they really had only 1 DL over 260 and played with a bunch of smaller and extremely quick DEnds and LB and just ran downhill and through the gaps, stuffing the run, and forcing PCC to throw the ball.

Does that means throw the ball?. When I see some of the local teams line up and try and pound PCC, it just doesn't make sense to me. Even in "down" years, they will still have studs in the front 7. But running does keep the clock moving and minimizes the chance for a blowout (See PR's 63-34 loss to PCC in the playoffs last year as an example of that.)

SJP was an interesting team on defense last year too. They weren't nearly as big as PCC but executed the game play the way every WPIAL team needed to. IIRC, from watching the game, they really had only 1 DL over 260 and played with a bunch of smaller and extremely quick DEnds and LB and just ran downhill and through the gaps, stuffing the run, and forcing PCC to throw the ball.

Wilson started to that in the prior game and Central couldn't block it. St Joe's saw that, And did exactly as you describe up above. Beside that Central had a bad week of practice with 4 starters being suspended for a day. They (players and coaches) were physically and mentally exhausted or at least that's what a coach told me. 32 games in 2 seasons or in 18 months is too much for most high school teams and it definitely was for PCC. They won it the year before and no doubt were embarrassed by a St Joe's team that wanted it more and it showed.

Last edited:
32 games in 2 seasons or in 18 months is too much for most high school teams .

That is crazy. A HS team playing an NFL regular season with no bye weeks. Its gotta be hard for 15-18 year olds to handle that.

Reactions: pcc64
Wilson started to that in the prior game and Central couldn't block it. St Joe's saw that, And did exactly as you describe up above. Beside that Central had a bad week of practice with 4 starters being suspended for a day. They (players and coaches) were physically and mentally exhausted or at least that's what a coach told me. 32 games in 2 seasons or in 18 months is too much for most high school teams and it definitely was for PCC. They won it the year before and no doubt were embarrassed by a St Joe's team that wanted it more and it showed.

Let us know how PCC looks against prep.

Btw I don't think burns will be playing against Wayne, I hear he should be good for Lebo the next week. Watching film on Wayne there offensive line looks like a weak point, there big but it looks like they're very inexperienced. Just what it looks like to me. Also anouther interesting thing is that PR's defense will play spread offenses the first 4 games of the season. It will be interesting to see how coach k sets them up for that.

PR offensively will drop 40+ points every game at least and look for them to go over 60 more than a few times this year.

Wayne's biggest weakness had to be there offensive line. They were massive but couldn't move at all and PR's quicker d linemen got downhill on them and applied pressure all day. Defensively they were playing man and blitzing every play, against PR that's a recipe to get 40+ dropped on you and fast. Coach looked like some stubborn dude. What's even more impressive is that Wayne is no way overrated or bad, PR is just has a very very dominant team.

Also white looked very elite at RB, hopefully his injury isn't to major that's what I'm hearing.

Reactions: new2pa

Btw I don't think burns will be playing against Wayne, I hear he should be good for Lebo the next week. Watching film on Wayne there offensive line looks like a weak point, there big but it looks like they're very inexperienced. Just what it looks like to me. Also anouther interesting thing is that PR's defense will play spread offenses the first 4 games of the season. It will be interesting to see how coach k sets them up for that.

PCC was definitely disappointing Friday night. Really couldn't do anything consistently. Turned the ball over 3 times in the first quarter. The first returned for a TD. Right out of the gate down 6 -0. Offensive line was pretty ineffective all night. Couldn't run block and had trouble protecting QB Troy Fisher They substituted the 2nd d line in the second quarter. Nothing worked. PCC doesn't have their typical big play back. Don't recall them not having one. Have a good little Soph back but that's about it, not a home run hitter. David Green looked great on D playing tackle but for some reason wasn't called on to run the ball not once. That was puzzling to say the least. I guess I could say more but I don't want to kick my Vikes when they are down. Oh and Khalil Weathers also was a bright spot in the secondary which seemed to have some breakdowns. I suppose the OL might come around but until then they will struggle against the likes of PR, NA and possibly Seneca Valley. The kids seem to think this game was a one off. Bottom line they still have some talent but a lot of inexperienced and young players in too many spots.

Finally made it home after the 11 hour round trip to the game....

First off, congrats to PR to a near flawless game. If they stay healthy I will be shocked if they don't win state.

2nd... I knew this was a down year for Wayne and stated earlier that this was a nightmare match up for them (they do not do well against dual threat QB's that are accurate as well as hurry up offenses.... as you notice Wayne was slow getting lined up on defense) but this was one of the worst performance by a Wayne team in the 37 years. PR had a lot to do with that but 6 turnovers is way too much. Wayne would of had to play a perfect game to beat PR today. They did have chances but two fumbles while driving and the 2nd on the goal line really took its toll on the team. What could of been 14-14 turned into 21-0 that quickly got out of control from there.

With Wayne's schedule they will be lucky to finish 5-5 this year unless they can figure out someway to improve the O-line. I really wished the 2015 Wayne team could of taken on the 2017 PR team. That would of been a show.....

Best of luck the rest of the way and what is up with the girl tuba players....

That was by far the most dominant performance I've seen P-R play - ever. I've not been her forever, but did see the 2014 team. If their defense can keep improving, their offense will only get better. Then watch out.

They won't play anyone with the athletes in the secondary that Wayne had either.

I thought another interesting aspect of the game was that it seemed like there were very few called QB runs. Maybe 3 or 4. He scrambled some, but few designed runs. Very different from last year when QB was only part of the run game that worked against good teams.

Also, the comment about the speed at which P-R plays is very true. They were flying on offense. Wayne DL could even get in stances. Secondary was late getting lined up.

I can't believe P-R's defense - having those kids play one-way looks like it made a huge difference those two LB's were crushing people.

That was by far the most dominant performance I've seen P-R play - ever. I've not been her forever, but did see the 2014 team. If their defense can keep improving, their offense will only get better. Then watch out.

They won't play anyone with the athletes in the secondary that Wayne had either.

I thought another interesting aspect of the game was that it seemed like there were very few called QB runs. Maybe 3 or 4. He scrambled some, but few designed runs. Very different from last year when QB was only part of the run game that worked against good teams.

Also, the comment about the speed at which P-R plays is very true. They were flying on offense. Wayne DL could even get in stances. Secondary was late getting lined up.

I can't believe P-R's defense - having those kids play one-way looks like it made a huge difference those two LB's were crushing people.
Jurkovic Was a star . He is every bit as good as advertised.Pine-Richland will be the West winner easily by what the demonstrated Sunday. Their receivers are fast and catch everything. Good defense as well. Overall I was surprised at how easily they scored . Too bad Penn State didn't get Jurkovic.

I think if PR stays healthy for the most part they walk with the wpial championship and to the state title. To dominant in all phases of the game. They played yesterday like a team peaking in mid season form. Defense was flying around hitting people and making tackles. The secondary shutdown Wayne's passing game (which featured a 5 star Ohio state commit, held to 28 yards on 3 catches). That was the best defensive performance I've ever seen them do. If they play like that and they're scoring almost 40+ in a half they will be impossible to beat. Only thing I think needs cleaned up are some of the dumb penalties, buts that mental and fixable. Hopefully white is good to go soon he's a force on both sides of the ball.

I think if PR stays healthy for the most part they walk with the wpial championship and to the state title. To dominant in all phases of the game. They played yesterday like a team peaking in mid season form. Defense was flying around hitting people and making tackles. The secondary shutdown Wayne's passing game (which featured a 5 star Ohio state commit, held to 28 yards on 3 catches). That was the best defensive performance I've ever seen them do. If they play like that and they're scoring almost 40+ in a half they will be impossible to beat. Only thing I think needs cleaned up are some of the dumb penalties, buts that mental and fixable. Hopefully white is good to go soon he's a force on both sides of the ball.

JACKY.
My 1st time seeing Jurkovec playing a full game, impressed with the young man. Skill set and poise (from what I read from those of you that follow the team) is certainly high grade. Wayne was no push-over , having fielded strong talent-laden teams in recent years.... but they were made to look JVish with the total team performance of P-R. Not sure how far you go back but the offense reminds me a bit of Allentown CC when Nosovich was a Jr., spread you out, go underneath or deep, scored at will against most teams and the QB's ability to run created dynamic offensive output. Jurkovec's arm strength is rated better, pretty lethal combination.

Guess we'll see how the season plays out?... Not sure how SJP will be this year or the remainder of the eastern "power" teams. LaSalle returns an overwhelming number of starters but Prep has been the pillar of the football world on this side of the state (and yours!) in recent years even when they're reloading. I'm sure whomever comes out of Dist. 1 and 11 will have their say as well but that P-R offense (albeit 1 game) appears to be a well oiled machine with a defense that certainly acquitted itself nicely against a "bigger" quality opponent.... and like everyone else, need to stay relatively healthy..

Last edited:
Post game, Wayne's head coach Jay Minton.

I have known Jay for a long time and he is always 100% about the kids and has the following philosophy. "players win games, coaches lose games"...

Some comments about the game (paraphrasing....)

How did you feel about the game?

Disgusted and angry.... disgusted by the performance as that was not how a Wayne program plays... angry at myself for not preparing the team better for this game.

With returning just 3 starters on both side of the ball did the inexperience factor in?

That would just be an excuse. There is a very high expectation at Wayne and maybe I put too much pressure on the kids. This is a different group of kids from the team that went 37-2 over the last 4 years in the regular season.

Did the Fire Alarm at 4 AM Sunday morning and the players having to walk down 23 flight of stairs have any impact on the luck luster performance?.

No, I hope not, These are young kids it should not have phased them. Pine Richland is a great team and they had some to do with our performance and they should compete for a state title. Their QB was one of the best I have seen in my 36 years of coaching...

This is your 20th year at Wayne, should anything be named after you?

(laughing) yes, a urinal... I am sure there are a lot of people wanting to piss on it and I would be the first in line....
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wayne had a team meeting on Monday to refocus and to see what direction this team wants to go. They came out fired up and can't wait to head back out on the road to take on Ol-Liberty (1-0) [finished 13-1 last season). Friday night. Unlike PA, every game counts in Ohio and this will almost be a must win for Wayne.

If anyone likes I could keep you updated each week on how Wayne does during the season.... otherwise, goodbye it was nice talking to you guys and the best of luck on your season.

Ohio - thank you for your contributions!!! I for one would like to hear how Wayne does the rest of the year.

Post game, Wayne's head coach Jay Minton.

I have known Jay for a long time and he is always 100% about the kids and has the following philosophy. "players win games, coaches lose games"...

Some comments about the game (paraphrasing....)

How did you feel about the game?

Disgusted and angry.... disgusted by the performance as that was not how a Wayne program plays... angry at myself for not preparing the team better for this game.

With returning just 3 starters on both side of the ball did the inexperience factor in?

That would just be an excuse. There is a very high expectation at Wayne and maybe I put too much pressure on the kids. This is a different group of kids from the team that went 37-2 over the last 4 years in the regular season.

Did the Fire Alarm at 4 AM Sunday morning and the players having to walk down 23 flight of stairs have any impact on the luck luster performance?.

No, I hope not, These are young kids it should not have phased them. Pine Richland is a great team and they had some to do with our performance and they should compete for a state title. Their QB was one of the best I have seen in my 36 years of coaching...

This is your 20th year at Wayne, should anything be named after you?

(laughing) yes, a urinal... I am sure there are a lot of people wanting to piss on it and I would be the first in line....
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wayne had a team meeting on Monday to refocus and to see what direction this team wants to go. They came out fired up and can't wait to head back out on the road to take on Ol-Liberty (1-0) [finished 13-1 last season). Friday night. Unlike PA, every game counts in Ohio and this will almost be a must win for Wayne.

If anyone likes I could keep you updated each week on how Wayne does during the season.... otherwise, goodbye it was nice talking to you guys and the best of luck on your season.

Thanks for the info OhioHSFB fan! Defiantly keep us updated on Wayne and how they go on this season. I'm rooting for them to win the state championship so I can say PR blew out the Ohio D1 champ.

Btw saw burns practice today, and he might be the fastest kid I've ever seen. He was lighting. Definitely the fatest player in PA. My guess is he should be starting at CB this Friday against Lebo and returning kicks. Possible could play some WR also. Speaking of Lebo they barely squeaked by fox chapel, the QB from last year is hurt they're starting a back up.

Even before Burns, I was already very impressed with their DB's. They locked up the outside WR's even after White got hurt. I think Goltz and Falcone (#4 and #5 I thought) did a very good job, mainly because I didn't notice Wayne's #1 do anything. And Crawford was solid and had a interception. I thought #20 Jochem played near the line of scrimmage and had several good tackles. Meckler looked like he was just roving in the deep middle, there to clean up any messes.

If Burns can come in and help spell the CB's who played offense too, that would be great. They have the possibility of a lot of 1 way kids. And when White gets back, it will be interesting to see how they use him. I thought he would be needed on defense, but with that group, saving him and Crawford for mainly offense looks like a possibility.

Even before Burns, I was already very impressed with their DB's. They locked up the outside WR's even after White got hurt. I think Goltz and Falcone (#4 and #5 I thought) did a very good job, mainly because I didn't notice Wayne's #1 do anything. .

I was not going to mention this since it sounds like an excuse but #1 L. "Blue' Smith got banged up in the scrimmage last week and during pre-warmups at the PR game tripped by the Wayne bench and went down. He has also been under the weather and was vomiting. Not sure if you noticed while at the game but he was not warming up but sitting on the bench.

Looks like the weather will be bad for Fridays game at Olentangy Liberty.....

The secondary is much improved. However, I will add, it's a lot easier to play corner or safety when the QB has no time to throw. The pass rush was relentless. They get bringing blitzes and stunts up front. Much more aggressive style of defense. Certainly better than sitting back in a base defense and expecting the secondary to cover forever.

I was not going to mention this since it sounds like an excuse but #1 L. "Blue' Smith got banged up in the scrimmage last week and during pre-warmups at the PR game tripped by the Wayne bench and went down. He has also been under the weather and was vomiting. Not sure if you noticed while at the game but he was not warming up but sitting on the bench.

Looks like the weather will be bad for Fridays game at Olentangy Liberty.....

I noticed that Kenny White was having his way with him prior to his knee injury ! Certainly wasn't playing like the typical OS recruit.

Watched most of the first half. I would say that Pine Richland is the 6A team to beat. They are solid all around with speed and skill. I'd be surprised if they didn't go undefeated the entire way. They are very good and well coached.

Reactions: football.6a
Huber Heights Wayne made the 90 minute trip to Olentangy Liberty tonight. Liberty finished 13-1 last season, return a bunch, and was ranked in the top 10 in Ohio.

Wayne came away with the win winning 17-0 as the Warrior defense dominated the game holding Liberty to just 62 total yards. Wayne managed 382 yards of offense but had numerous penalties and a couple of frustrating dropped TD passes that kept the score close. Wayne plays Clarkson North at home this week. Wayne is very tough at home....

How did PR do?

PR pulled away a 53-29 win over mount Lebo. Very sloppy imo.

First half they got a lot of dumb penalties and offense was stalling a bit, they gave up a safety on a punt sailing through the end zone and Lebo was leading at one point. Pr defense bended but didn't break on some occasions, and then we're getting lit up on others. To put it into perspective Lebo WR Aiden Cain had 25 catches for 350 yards and two TD's I believe, and this was Lebo's backup QB playing. This kid also hasn't played football in three years due to two acl tears. He's a stud and easily a top 5 WR in the state. Back on PR, jurkovec had anouther monster night 400+ passing 3 TD's and 4 rushing TD's, they got rolling and pulled away in the second half but Lebo never gave up and kept trying to claw back into it. Thomas burns played his first game and that boy is lightning fast. There is no way anyone is faster than him on the east coast I put money on it. He didn't start but saw extensive action at CB and special teams were he murdered three or four kids on kick off (will post video of that when it's posted).

Overall defense gave up over 400 yards passing to a backup QB and 300+ to one WR (they need Kenny white back), they need to figure out what went wrong. Even with this they still pulled out the W by almost 30 points, jurkovec is unstoppable nobody in PA can stop that offense.

What's impressive is despite being on the field 100 plays and getting torched bad is they still held Lebo to 29 points and forced a few turnovers, including one within the 5 yard line. They've had to have forced at least 6-7 fumbles the past two weeks, the physicality they are bringing is unreal compared to last year. Shoot I think that would be thier third or fourth red zone turnover too. Burns was a heat seeking missle on kickoffs, I believe he got knicked on a block in the back and he never came back in but he was still dressed.

This upcoming week should be easier as they play a Seneca valley team starting a sophomore QB who's offense could only muster 6 points against peters township.

They defense was on the field for 100 plays. White was out. Burns went out at the half with an injury. CBs were struggling.

The kid set the state record for receptions in a game, he was catching everything. He was draped in coverage multiple times and he just went up and got it. Hopefully we have white back if we ever run into that team in the playoffs. You gotta imagine how Better Lebo couldve been the past two years if he wasn't hurt.

Well, the good news is that P-R can still score some points. Early on, they couldn't seem to find any rhythm and were just throwing it deep and were constantly in 3rd and long. Once Jurkovec settled down a little and didn't force things, they were much better. Trib said they had 3 WR's over 100 yards which is very nice and a big improvement from last year when all they had a lot of games was Falcone.

It also seems like they aren't running the QB nearly as much this year. Reduce the hits.

They were getting killed by some dumb penalties early. Lebo's defense was more sound than Wayne's imo.

Jurkovec only had 7 carries last week and I think 5 yesterday but he's the leading rusher on the team and has 7 TD's. I think it's smart they aren't making him the focal point of the rushing game and he's being exposed to way less hits. Also when they do run him the defenses could be least expecting it because he isn't running as much. I think they need to establish a more consistent ground game however, Crawford and meckler haven't really lit it up the past two games if they can run it more efficiently that opens things up a lot.

Huber Heights Wayne made the 90 minute trip to Olentangy Liberty tonight. Liberty finished 13-1 last season, return a bunch, and was ranked in the top 10 in Ohio.

Wayne came away with the win winning 17-0 as the Warrior defense dominated the game holding Liberty to just 62 total yards. Wayne managed 382 yards of offense but had numerous penalties and a couple of frustrating dropped TD passes that kept the score close. Wayne plays Clarkson North at home this week. Wayne is very tough at home....

How did PR do?

Makes you wonder how bad the competition is in Ohio if Wayne shut them out. That was not a good team. One with a lot of weaknesses. I'm pretty sure they would lose 4-5 games in PRs conference

IIRC, Olentangy Liberty beat North Allegheny last year and their only loss was to eventual state champion St. Ignatius. Solid program for sure, but could have lost a lot from last year.

Very dominant performance from the rams last night. Defense got back on track after Lebo and I don't think gave up a single first down to Senecas first team offense. Offense rolled as usual. Only shaky part was special teams on coverage, seemed like Seneca valley did their homework and they were trying to key in on thomas burns on the kick coverage. They got a few solid returns in.

Interesting match up coming up with penn hills, this will be penn hills first true test. They've been very hyped the past few seasons only to be very medicore, this year is no different. They have talent, a lot of speed and athleticism at all their skill positions, but in the past couple years haven't played well together. If they can play disciplined and if their line is solid this could be close, or this could be a typical penn hills team that will come in talking like they should be number one in the state and lose by 40. Overall based on their past three games, they haven't impressed me much beating plum 26-0 (bad 5A team), butler 54-21 (also will.be awful this year, my butler sources told me half the kids on the team don't even care about winning), and canon Macmillan 33-17 who aren't world beaters. The talent they have at their skill positions is very evident but I think if PR can play sound defense, limit penalties on offense, and run the ball on penn hills who's lines aren't great they can win by 30+. Hopefully Kenny white can be back for this but we will see.

Last edited:
Wayne update:

Clarkson North made the trip down south to Huber Heights coming off of a 31-6 win @ Cleveland Heights. Wayne came in at #10 in region 3 (top 8 qualify for the playoffs) playing their first home game of the season. Wayne is very tough at home not losing there in many many years. Wayne scored on the first play of the game on a 59 yard bomb from McKee to Smith who ended up with 189 yards on 10 catches and went up 24-0 in the 2nd. Looking to go up even more by half but the freshman QB threw a pick and Clarkson North scored right before half.... 24-7.

Wayne got up 31-7 and came away with a 31-21 win as Clarkson North scored late. Wayne will host 3-0 Miamisburg this week in a key GWOC and region 3 matchup. Wayne is the only team in their league currently with a loss. Every game should be a battle.....

Makes you wonder how bad the competition is in Ohio if Wayne shut them out. That was not a good team. One with a lot of weaknesses. I'm pretty sure they would lose 4-5 games in PRs conference

Ohio is solid when it comes to HS Football and is one of the top 5 states. I would take Wayne from the last 3 seasons and say they would beat 99% of PA teams pretty good. This years team is way down but they are still a very good team. They did not show that in PA in week 1 but they ran into a buzz saw that day. It is all about Match-ups and I told you guys before the game that it was a nightmare match-up for Wayne. Wayne will not see a QB like PR the rest of the way.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT