ADVERTISEMENT

Pine-Richland 2017

football6a

Just so you know, the Public 2014, 2015, 2016 D1 champs all had transfers that were MAJOR contributors to those championships. Harrisburg 5A state runner up last year, sounds like PR and NP and NA this year as well to name a few, and that is just off the top of my head....None were ruled ineligible....

Look let's be honest Pine Richland, North Allegheny, has so many resources and financial backing that they do not need to recruit, kids want to go there , so I See them to continue to reload. Now where this could hurt are teams like Woodland Hiils, McKeesport, Penn Hills, Steel Valley Clairton ect Where those schools with a ton of athletes could go to a school with $$$$ and a modern offense. If this happens and it will you will have 6-8 Schools in the WPIAL that are like those you see in North Jersey and in Florida

I can assure you North Allegheny does not have a modern offense lmao but you're spot on with your points. It's also a cheaper option then paying 10k per year to go to PCC and a lot of kids don't like the private school rules and curriculums.

Reactions: new2pa
Pune Richland is an extremely affluent area along with Wexford(North Alleghent) Upper St Clair and Mt Leboanan are some of the richest areas not just in Western PA but in all of PA. Trust where there is a will there is a way

FYI, there is affordable apartment rentals in the Pine-Richland school district. So, if someone wants to go to Pine Richland it can be done with zero equity. It is not that hard to do. NA and Pine both are great school districts located right next to each other.Both have great Head Coaches who are also excellent recruiters with fantastic facilities. I think transfers are now a way of life in both of these programs.

Last edited:
Thomas Burns, the younger brother of steelers first round pick Artie Burns, was at PR practice this morning.

P-R seems to have more talent than they know what to do with. If the Burns kid is eligible, at worst he should help with depth. It sure would be nice if they could find a bigger kid to come in and help on the O-line or D-line. Maybe more "transfers" coming.

Burns is a little different than Kenny White though - he's from another state, not another WPIAL school just down the road. There are a bunch of good reason like mentioned above that parents would want their kids to come to P-R when looking at the school in the area. If football is a factor, I would agree with whoever above said that P-R has a modern offense and defense, very nice facilities, and with what seems like a good coaching staff.

Reactions: JACKY6996
football6a

Just so you know, the Public 2014, 2015, 2016 D1 champs all had transfers that were MAJOR contributors to those championships. Harrisburg 5A state runner up last year, sounds like PR and NP and NA this year as well to name a few, and that is just off the top of my head....None were ruled ineligible....

NA would have never won the WPIAL 3 times or 2 State Championships without Kugler, Kugler, and Leftwich. Another public school that heavily relied on transfer to go from really good to great.

Reactions: pcc64 and JACKY6996
FYI, there is affordable apartment rentals in the Pine-Richland school district. So, if someone wants to go to Pine Richland it can be done with zero equity. It is not that hard to do. NA and Pine both are great school districts located right next to each other.Both have great Head Coaches who are also excellent recruiters with fantastic facilities. I think transfers are now a way of life in both of these programs.

You are exactly correct, that's what white and his dad did. But not so sure about the recruiting part, there is no evidence they contacted white to get him to come to pr, and burns is an out of state transfer so certainly not him. Burns likely picked PR because his brother, who's his legal guardian, has a house in the district plus pine is the number 1 ranked team. At this point if PR loses it's because they beat themselves, they are loaded everywhere. However like New2pa said, some line help particularly on D will go a long way, we will see.

Btw my guess is that burns will compete with Crawford for his CB spot on defense. Wouldn't be surprised if they split time there. I think if burns pans out at that spot then Crawford can just be offense only, that will preserve his energy throughout games. I also imagine burns can return kicks and punts too, and he's one of the fastest kids in the country so he can do some serious damage there. Also don't be surprised to see him on offense, I could see coach K make him a gadget player that could play out of the backfield out wide etc anyway to get him the ball.

PCC and apparently Pine Richland both need defensive lineman. In Central 's case interior down lineman. Seems like they might be vulnerable to the run. However, they do have the bodies so we shall see. I did hear that their secondary will be outstanding with a ton of speed.

Last edited:
PCC and apparently Pine Richland both need defensive lineman. In Central 's case interior down lineman. Seems like they might be vulnerable to the run. However, they do have the bodies so we shall see. I did hear that their secondary will be outstanding with a ton of speed.

PR has linemen that can play defense well, problem is they start on o line and since PR runs uptempo offense, they don't want linemen going both ways or else they will be dead by the fourth quarter. They had a few kids that could play d line but we will see. If there d line is solid and they don't give up huge plays on the ground then PR's defense will be one of the tops in 6A

Also, it appears King will play outside LB this year. Played inside or middle, depending on personnel, last year.

The whole conversation from a few weeks ago makes more sense with this news. Coach K taking two kids as primary defensive players and filling in on offense with smaller skill kids. Now if the burns kid plays, they will even have more options.

Last edited:
The defense should be vastly improved, especially adding White and Burns.
Rivals just released its 2019 rankings, King and Kristofic in the PA top 20.
Kristofic a 3 star, King a 2 star. I can see both improving that ranking after this season.

For the defense to improve, they need to improve fundamental stuff with the biggest thing being tackling. I didn't think they had a lack of talent on the defensive side of the ball last season, just bad scheme and setup along with poor tackling that turned what should have been 2-4 yard plays into 6-8 yard plays. Hopefully with coach k running it we should see some improvements, and I don't see many teams being able pass well on them with this secondary.

I disagree. The defense lacked talent last year. The defensive front was aweful and often pushed 5+ yards deep into the LBs laps. Hard to play effective defense that way. I think you need to watch more film. I'm not saying tackling was good, but I am saying they lacked talent, especially up front.
By the way, weren't you the one that said the PR kids big plays on offense was because the opposing defense missed tackles? Sometimes the offensive player just makes a play, that does happen. You seem to have a hard on for tackling.

I said before that the D line was undersized, to start the season the nose tackle they had weighed less 220. The defense had talent (Carrigan, Duran, Jochem, Meckler, King, Cerminara etc) so I disagree with that. You can't have as small a d line as they did in 6A and expect to be a effective front, I agree with that and it's no surprise teams ran the ball with as much success as they did. But I was at every game last year from start to finish, and I can say that the tackling was piss poor and it wasn't someone making a play. They were making contact with kids almost three times sometimes before they brought them down, and these weren't big kids either. It was evident on defense and special teams. I believe me and new2pa talked about it last year, but the defense needs to improve upon that.

I'm not going to mention names. But 6'4 and 6'7 on the d line was not undersized. Just got pushed around and often gave up. This team will have a better scheme, better attitude and a lot more heart.

Height and weight are different, but I can agree that this season it will be much better. The whole defense really has potential to be a stout unit

That video brought back bad memories.

How big are we going to be up front this year. One of you guys mentioned Camino at 1 DE. How big is he? I would also think that the Kristofic boy needs to play somewhere up front, as well as the other big tackle. That leaves one spot.

Hopefully, even if they are a little small, Coach K will get them all running to the ball.

Reactions: JACKY6996
Camino bulked up this offseason, he'll be able to match tackles athleticly. The other DE played a lot of DT last year, he's a small kid but he's very strong and athletic. Katic and kristofic will be good in the interior and it gives them size and I think they have anouther kid that should play there and just be defense. So only one o linemen having to go both ways, not too bad.

Reactions: football.6a
I have no horse in this race, buy just because a kid is from out of state does not mean he wasn't recruited. Look at the other thread on NG possibly getting the kid from DE. Both Erie Cathedral Prep and St Joes have for years had kids on their roster from out of state. Once again, that does not mean those kids are/were recruited, but for schools especially close to other states, being from out of state does not automatically rule out the kid wasn't recruited.

I have no horse in this race, buy just because a kid is from out of state does not mean he wasn't recruited. Look at the other thread on NG possibly getting the kid from DE. Both Erie Cathedral Prep and St Joes have for years had kids on their roster from out of state. Once again, that does not mean those kids are/were recruited, but for schools especially close to other states, being from out of state does not automatically rule out the kid wasn't recruited.

This kid is coming from Florida, and is moving in with his legal guardian. Highly doubt Coach K is calling up kids from Floridia asking if they want to come live in PR and play for them. Although I agree with those other schools.

Im not saying he would call kids in Florida at random,but I would not be surprised if a few schools in the area knew of his family situation and that he ultimately might end up in the Pittsburgh area. I remember years back when Coach Shurmur was coming to Philadelphia to coach the Eagles that everyone knew he had a kid who was a QB and a special athlete and there was a lot of speculation as to where he would end up.

Last year Burns was said to be enrolled at PCC after considering NA, PR and Central. At the end of the day he decided to stay in Florida with relatives instead of living with his brother, Artie Burns. He/ they changed their mind again, hence he's now at PR. As far as this year goes since the Burns kid will be a senior, PCC was not an option. That also figured into the Carrigan's decision last year. PCC does not, will not accept Senior transfers.

Last year Burns was said to be enrolled at PCC after considering NA, PR and Central. At the end of the day he decided to stay in Florida with relatives instead of living with his brother, Artie Burns. He/ they changed their mind again, hence he's now at PR. As far as this year goes since the Burns kid will be a senior, PCC was not an option. That also figured into the Carrigan's decision last year. PCC does not, will not accept Senior transfers.

I thought carrigan was an exception and they we're going to let him come because of his situation

I thought carrigan was an exception and they we're going to let him come because of his situation

He was an approved exception (because of his father's illness)but it was too late. Totten was somewhat indifferent (I was told )because he assumed Carrigan wouldn't be eligible. Reverse recruiting, if you will, didn't rule out the red carpet. At least that's how the story goes.
Kenny White tried to transfer to Central last year but was denied entrance. The staff was enthusiastic about that possibility even so far as thinking that WA would approve the transfer.

He was an approved exception (because of his father's illness)but it was too late. Totten was somewhat indifferent (I was told )because he assumed Carrigan wouldn't be eligible. Reverse recruiting, if you will, didn't rule out the red carpet. At least that's how the story goes.
Kenny White tried to transfer to Central last year but was denied entrance. The staff was enthusiastic about that possibility even so far as thinking that WA would approve the transfer.

Interesting about carrigan. I knew about white being denied a year ago. Id imagine any school would be enthusiastic about getting white. He's very very good on both sides of the ball. He's gonna put up big numbers this year in PR's offense and he's possible the top DB in the wpial and state. What's interesting is that all the WA folk said he's a lockerroom issue and his dad causes issues at games, but so far with pine he's been team first and he's worked hard, no issues. You'd think he had been playing with his teammates his whole life if you didn't know he transferred.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT