ADVERTISEMENT

PIAA Classification Numbers Rule

kitwor

Feb 2, 2010
My nephew who is a PIAA official up in Scranton came down to Philly for a visit this past weekend and told me about a classification numbers rule that will most likely negatively affect one program. Up in District 2, Mountain View does not field a football team but an agreement was made that anyone interested in football has to play at neighboring Montrose which is every bit of a half hour drive. Only a couple kids will go out there to play and as a result, from the moment anyone from Mountain View sends someone to Montrose, by rule the school has to add the numbers of all Mountain View students when the reclassification is assigned. As a result Montrose will most likely move up a couple classifications.

I never knew this rule existed and the fact is that there are more than just a couple kids that would play if it were not for the ride the kids would have to make each day for practice. I'm not sure if this has happened here closer to Southeast PA but to me it seems an absurd rule.Has this rule existed since PIAA's incepton?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT