ADVERTISEMENT

PIAA should remove SJP immediately !!!

Highly unlikely that next year's SJP team will be better than this year's. Next year they will be playing a QB with little of no varsity experience, will be replacing all three starting receivers, four of six staring o-linemen, two d-linemen, one lb, and all the defensive backs-plus the kicker. There are some very good underclassmen in those positions--esp. at wide receiver--but hard to imagine them being as good as the guys they would be replacing are this year. They've never had more than a couple of transfers coming in after sophomore year, and in any case they would likely be ineligible for the playoffs--as Stewart is this year.

As for rebuilding years, I'd say 2015 was one--after the graduation of Reid, Zacchaeus, Runyon, the QB whose name I'm forgetting, etc. And certainly '21 was a rebuilding year. Yes, they got to the state final that year, but they lost to Milton and LaSalle in the regular season, beat Judge in a very close game, beat Wood by 3 points with a last-minute field goal, and beat Freedom by a TD. All relative, I know, but it's not that a ticket to the finals has been automatic for 10 years. I can point to single plays that, had they gone differently, would have kept SJP from the finals in 2013, 2014, probably 2016, 2019, and 2021.
Anthony sacca, roy maxwell, Cameron smith, Isaiah west, and Khalil Stewart are all major college recruits and top juniors in the state. Plus what they have coming up. I think the gap will get bigger every year and has been for some time. That's crazy after graduating this year's senior class.

Last edited:
There is no team in the state that returns anything remotely close to the talent that SJP returns next year.

I don’t consider it a bad thing; I’m not a sjp hater. I’m simply stating a fact.

Let Aliquippa have an hour radius from it's school and see what happens. Let them access everything in Beaver County and let them sprinkle in some of that Youngstown talent. We might be seeing that fairly soon. There is a rumor that in 2 years Lincoln Park will have a football program. The millionaire benefactor at that school supposedly wants a national program.

Reactions: sammyk
Anthony sacca, roy maxwell, Cameron smith, Isaiah west, and Khalil Stewart are all major college recruits and top juniors in the state. Plus what they have coming up. I think the gap will get bigger every year and has been for some time. That's crazy after graduating this year's senior class.
Those are five of the returning seven starters--meaning there are 15 starting seniors. Last year there were six starting seniors.

Glad you’re here Rover. A true D11 representer. Would you like to discuss wrestling ?
I'd love to! I try to discuss wrestling all the time on this board, including musings on the transfer culture up here, what it's done to the health of the sport (my alma mater included) and how the two Catholic schools up here have really blown things up in ways that have reverberated all over the state.

Anyway, since I'm living in a glass house here, let's talk Easton. The "big bang" of wrestling transfers was Whitey Chlebove leaving Whitehall for his senior year to go to Northampton in 1993, where he won a state title and Northampton finished #1 in the country. So using '93-'94 as a starting point, here's a comprehensive history of Easton wrestling transfers.

Willie Saylor grew up in Wilson and went to Easton for high school. For context, Wilson Borough is a ten or so block radius (about one square mile) within the city of Easton that has its own school district. The high school is across the street from Easton Area High School.

Eric Greshko left East Stroudsburg to wrestle for Easton in 1995 - he was a state finalist in '95 and state 3rd in '96, and very famously pinned Adam Tirapelle at Reno in '96 which went a long way to Easton winning that tournament and claiming the national #1 ranking.

The Ciasulli family built a house in Palmer Township near Easton Area High School in the late '90s when their oldest boy, Andy, was in 8th grade. Their daughter was a senior at P'burg when they moved and finished out high school there, the boys started at Easton schools with Andy in 9th, Matt in 6th, and Seth in 3rd. The boys won 8 state medals, with Matt being a 3x state champ and Seth a 2x state finalist. Their dad ran the Red Hawk wrestling school, which will remain a character in our story.

Bryan Rizzo left Southern Lehigh to wrestle at Easton in 2001 and took 5th in the state.

Sean Richmond '04 had a parent who lived in Emmaus and a parent who lived in Easton, and pulled the classic move in with the other parent for high school. He won two state medals and was on Easton's staff as their top assistant for years before becoming the head coach and athletic director at Stroudsburg.

Marcus Millen is always the subject of weird debate - they live on a big compound of land in Riegelsville, which attends Easton schools, there were always accusations that the house was actually in Palisades. Either way, he spent his freshman year at Bethlehem Catholic before coming to Easton as a sophomore in 2002.

Mike Rogers was a Red Hawk wrestling kid and training partner with the Ciasulli brothers. He and his mom left Warren Hills to live in Easton before he started 9th grade. He won two state titles.

Jordan Nettuno was from Hunterdon Central lived in the apartment above Jack Cuvo's Wrestling Warehouse to spend just his junior year at Easton, then moved back when that clearly wasn't working out.

Sal Crivellaro attended Easton schools from kindergarten through 10th grade when he got beat out for the running back job by a fellow sophomore. For his junior year, he went to Bethlehem Catholic to play football and wrestle. Following football season his senior year, he dropped out of Becahi and came back to Easton and wrestled that winter.

Anthony Innarella left Freedom for Easton as a senior in '03 and was in-and-out of the lineup.

The coach at Wilson assaulted a kid and had a very large and very public abuse investigation - Kegan Handlovic and Russ Souders both left Wilson following the incident and enrolled at Easton schools. Souders had been a state finalist at Wilson and spent his senior year at Easton, while Handlovic was a sophomore and went on to win two state titles for the Rovers as Jordan Oliver's training partner.

Alex Meade had his transfer denied by D11 after coming to Easton from Caesar Rodney, Delaware in a long, convoluted story - he left Delaware to wrestle at Christiansburg, Virginia for NCAA champ Daryl Weber, but his family didn't go, he just moved in with Weber (or maybe an assistant). Virginia caught wind and declared him ineligible. So he moved back in with his parents in October - but the state of Delaware said he was a transfer from Virginia to Delaware for athletic purposes and made him ineligible for coming back to his home school. He's Jordan Oliver's cousin, so his mom reached out to her sister, and the rented an apartment in Easton so the boys could go to school and wrestle together. That also got shot down at the District hearing level, so Meade finished out the year at Easton without wrestling, then went home to Delaware. He and Jordan ended up in the Oklahoma State recruiting class together.

Mason McIntyre's dad got fired as the wrestling coach at Freedom before his senior season. He and his dad both came over to Easton for the 2011 season.

Currently, Ben Fanelli was at Pleasant Valley in 7th grade when he won Junior High Districts.

I think I got everybody over the last 30 years? There were always crazy rumors but Zeke Lane, Mikey Racciato, Dave Richmond, Nick Guida, Bryan Reiss, Mario Stuart, Keanu Dillard, Jeremy Cresswell, et al never went to Easton despite serving up tons of message board fodder and speculation.

I do know that when Matt Veres (the current Notre Dame coach) interviewed for the Easton job in 2016 he arrived at the interview with a list of kids that he would bring with him to Easton if he was hired for the job, only one of who, future state champ Brandan Chletsos, actually lived in Easton. That was a big part of why he wasn't hired - that list became his first rosters at Notre Dame.

The early '00s in particular were nuts for wrestling transfers up here. I also know that it nearly killed D11 wrestling for years - culminating in the 2014 season where there were unthinkably no state champs from D11 is a direct result of the damage the transfer-fest did to so many feeder programs and non-Power 3 schools, there was just not the depth beyond them to sustain an ecosystem. Then you brought in Bethlehem Catholic on top of it with no rules whatsoever to hoover up everybody and the bottom for a while there. There has been a lot of hard and careful work by a lot of people to build that ecosystem back up with places like Dark Knights in the Poconos, Grit in Saucon Valley, Jon Trenge's work with the LVWC youth and Beat the Streets partly to compete with what Becahi and Notre Dame were doing using Weaver then Red Hawk and Lost Boys to build rosters off of the club system. With a coaching change at Becahi and Veres poisoning the well on his recruiting territory, I think it is possible you're going to see a swing back to competitiveness in the Valley - beyond just Nazareth who dipped massively into the transfer game - that you haven't since the late '90s. Things like the two stud freshman from Emmaus actually ending up at Emmaus, Easton getting back to their level with a fully homegrown lineup, are signs that it's turning. But make no mistake, what Easton, Nazareth, and Northampton did twenty years ago still has negative reverberations for the sport.

Last edited:
Let Aliquippa have an hour radius from it's school and see what happens. Let them access everything in Beaver County and let them sprinkle in some of that Youngstown talent. We might be seeing that fairly soon. There is a rumor that in 2 years Lincoln Park will have a football program. The millionaire benefactor at that school supposedly wants a national program.
If that happened its a wrap. The Quips would be something else. Aliquippa would not even need an hour radius give them a 20 minute radius

If that happened its a wrap. The Quips would be something else. Aliquippa would not even need an hour radius give them a 20 minute radius
They’ll be only one difference. D12 would embrace them while others in your area will say they have too much backing.

I agree but why do we consider that a bad thing because they have guys returning.
Because they do it every year. They can get the talent. They don't have to rebuild like other schools. We will be having this discussion every year until the piaa steps in. It's been going on for a decade now.

Last edited:
I always said you put a private school in beaver county where you can pull from aliquippa, beaver falls, and central valley and let them make their own schedule you would have another sjp.

Those are five of the returning seven starters--meaning there are 15 starting seniors. Last year there were six starting seniors.
These juniors are better then the seniors plus they will find players to plug the holes they are missing. They always do.

You have every excuse in the book. Now you’re blaming juniors for being good. What point are you making by stating that those juniors are good players?
Not just juniors it's every class. They are able to just go out and plug holes where other schools can't. NA will have to rebuild next year they don't have that luxury.

Not just juniors it's every class. They are able to just go out and plug holes where other schools can't. NA will have to rebuild next year they don't have that luxury.
So NA don’t have underclassmen on varsity? Maybe they’re not rebuilding bc the years they suppose to rebuild their coaching Up underclassmen so they won’t need a complete overhaul. These seniors class played as sophomores and loss to a senior led team. No one said it was unfair.

I can't remember a year when more than two transfers came to the Prep and started. They have also lost players to transfer, e.g. Heard and James last year and Powell this year.

So NA don’t have underclassmen on varsity? Maybe they’re not rebuilding bc the years they suppose to rebuild their coaching Up underclassmen so they won’t need a complete overhaul. These seniors class played as sophomores and loss to a senior led team. No one said it was unfair.
Just like the rest of the the high schools in Pa they had a special senior class. They graduate this year and NA will have to rebuild like cb south and I'm sure Nazareth too. Prep doesn't have to worry about that or will ever have that problem.

Just like the rest of the the high schools in Pa they had a special senior class. They graduate this year and NA will have to rebuild like cb south and I'm sure Nazareth too. Prep doesn't have to worry about that or will ever have that problem.
Who fault is that? They’re playing the best players not players who are seniors. They are rebuilding bc these players don’t have much experience like every other school. Think of the players they bring back they had to play early bc of need. Sacca had to play a bunch as a freshmen. So by next year he’ll have that much experience. He came in right after the McCord class so in fact they had to rebuild. Not to mention they lost an entire offensive side of the ball from skill positions and replaced them all with sophomores. Is that not rebuilding? They stand to lose almost 30 seniors. This senior class doubled that of Harrison jr. If you don’t think they’ll need to rebuild I don’t know what to tell you.

Reactions: Bighead75
Who fault is that? They’re playing the best players not players who are seniors. They are rebuilding bc these players don’t have much experience like every other school. Think of the players they bring back they had to play early bc of need. Sacca had to play a bunch as a freshmen. So by next year he’ll have that much experience. He came in right after the McCord class so in fact they had to rebuild. Not to mention they lost an entire offensive side of the ball from skill positions and replaced them all with sophomores. Is that not rebuilding? They stand to lose almost 30 seniors. This senior class doubled that of Harrison jr. If you don’t think they’ll need to rebuild I don’t know what to tell you.
Great points made. However they do get a good amount of transfers to help lighten the impact.

Great points made. However they do get a good amount of transfers to help lighten the impact.
I can't think of a year when SJP has got more than two transfers. They also lose some starters to transfer--e.g., Heard and James before the 2022 season and Powell before this year.

I can't think of a year when SJP has got more than two transfers. They also lose some starters to transfer--e.g., Heard and James before the 2022 season and Powell before this year.
Mcglynn LB transfer 24
Cameron Smith LB transfer 25
Mcconnel LB transfer 25

That’s three from the same position.

Stewart OL transfer 25
Towns OL transfer 24

Sholder K transfer 24

Dyches RB transfer 24
Willie DB transfer 24

For the record, this is just in response to anyone who thinks they will be down because they graduate a million seniors.

Mcglynn LB transfer 24
Mcconnel LB transfer 25

Stewart OL transfer 25
Towns OL transfer 24

Sholder K transfer 24

Dyches RB transfer 24
Willie DB transfer 24

For the record, this is just in response to anyone who thinks they will be down because they graduate a million seniors.
That's more transfers that I realized, though some came in before sophomore year, e.g. McGlynn and McConnell.

Of those you list, only Smith and Stewart transferred in this year. I was thinking of how many starters come in a given year. I didn't think of Sholder (who came before the '22 season)--or any kicker--as a "starter." Dyches is not a starter. I don't think Willie is--is he injured?

It would be interesting to list all of the guys who were in the Prep football program who have transferred out of the Prep in the last four years. My guess is is would be longer, probably much longer, than the list of those who've transferred in--especially if you include guys who transferred out after freshman year, which you should do since you are listing those who transferred in after freshman year.

Reactions: lilromeo
LOL another thread where SJP fans jump through a million hoops to pretend they don't have a MAJOR unfair advantage

their "rebuilding year" results in a state championship game loss at worst

LOL another thread where SJP fans jump through a million hoops to pretend they don't have a MAJOR unfair advantage

their "rebuilding year" results in a state championship game loss at worst
What will you do if NA beats SJP?

Mcglynn LB transfer 24
Mcconnel LB transfer 25

Stewart OL transfer 25
Towns OL transfer 24

Sholder K transfer 24

Dyches RB transfer 24
Willie DB transfer 24

So they average about 2 transfers per year. Do we consider that a high number?

those rosters lists kids form PA, NJ and DE- 3?
Where are the Trenton and Wilmington players you mentioned that are a 30 mile radius. That's a larger area then I originally thought from a highly populated area and add the high level transfers. It's crazy.

Where are the Trenton and Wilmington players you mentioned that are a 30 mile radius. That's a larger area then I originally thought from a highly populated area and add the high level transfers. It's crazy.
I never said they were from there. I said it’s 30 miles to there.

I see one kid that says Middletown. The coach himself said that wasn’t true.I’m guessing that’s someone pushing the narrative that made that list.
I'm glad you were able to find one kid on an 85 man roster. I found kids 80 miles away. Google distance from st joes prep to little egg harbour NJ.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT