ADVERTISEMENT

PIAA should remove SJP immediately !!!

Reactions: DripDrop
So I ask again, how are transfers eligible to play in the playoffs?
I’ll answer you. They gave you a list of transfers who transferred in at any point of their hs career. I’m surprised no one explain that sjp don’t take juniors as transfers. Stewart came from my school and he isn’t playing right now.

You have an excuse for everything. Harrison jr was a transfer as well. Not to mention the giant area they pull from. I posted your list.
Harrison came at the beginning of his sophomore year. I have no doubt he--mainly his family--approached SJP rather than the other way round. As I remember he was a student at Germantown Academy before he went to LaSalle for a year.

As I said elsewhere on here, SJP loses more players to transfer, especially after freshman year but not only then, than they get via transfer.

I was wandering the same thing. I don't think Harrison jr sat out the playoffs after transferring from la salle.
No one is required to sit out for playoffs if they transfer at the beginning of sophomore year!!!

Did not know that. I wander why it's ok to transfer as a sophomore but not a junior?
You can transfer at anytime. Prep don’t take transfers after junior year due to educational requirements. Sophomore is the latest and those sophomores sit during the playoffs.

No one is required to sit out for playoffs if they transfer at the beginning of sophomore year!!!
welp... that kinda proves the point of many of the wpial folks- that rule is different for "us" and that sucks. Wpial kids are ineligible if they transfer after EIGHTH grade. SJP has 8 kids who came in as transfers? There might be 2 or 3 TOTAL from all 6 of the Pittsburgh Teams goin to Cumberland Valley.

Art Walker might be full of crap- but his team- there might be ZERO kids who have transferred to North Allegheny.

Non-boundary schools have no business playing against schools with boundaries. Only a brain dead idiot would actually think there is no advantage to recruiting the best players.

Art Walker might be full of crap- but his team- there might be ZERO kids who have transferred to North Allegheny.
I think that is true. I know of a couple kids that moved in during grade school but I don't think they have a single transfer. There's none I can think of but not 💯 percent positive.

welp... that kinda proves the point of many of the wpial folks- that rule is different for "us" and that sucks. Wpial kids are ineligible if they transfer after EIGHTH grade. SJP has 8 kids who came in as transfers? There might be 2 or 3 TOTAL from all 6 of the Pittsburgh Teams goin to Cumberland Valley.
You should write to the PIAA bc each school I’ve seen so far in the 5a bracket had transfers and those districts are outside of d12.

I think it's sophomore year as well for wpial and state wide.

Reactions: lilromeo
I think it's sophomore year as well for wpial and state wide. The wpial is definitely way stricker though on allowing transfers eligible.
Now we're getting some sense. How can the WPIAL say anyone who transfers after 8th grade is ineligible since PCC doesn't take students till they're in 9th grade? And I can't believe that a kid who transfers say between NA and PCC after 9th grade (either way) is ineligible to play for all of the next year.

There may be a difference between the Philly area (including D1) and the western part of the state when it comes to kids changing schools--not in terms of rules but in terms of common practice. It's not something specific to SJP and it's probably much truer in basketball than in football. Part of it has to do with the presence of the six Inter-ac schools. A fair number of students move into and out of them. Part of it probably has to do with the differences among the Catholic schools. I don't know about western PA, but Devon Prep, West Catholic, Roman, LaSalle, Father Judge, and SJP have very different cultures and traditions.

Now we're getting some sense. How can the WPIAL say anyone who transfers after 8th grade is ineligible since PCC doesn't take students till they're in 9th grade? And I can't believe that a kid who transfers say between NA and PCC after 9th grade (either way) is ineligible to play for all of the next year.

There may be a difference between the Philly area (including D1) and the western part of the state when it comes to kids changing schools--not in terms of rules but in terms of common practice. It's not something specific to SJP and it's probably much truer in basketball than in football. Part of it has to do with the presence of the six Inter-ac schools. A fair number of students move into and out of them. Part of it probably has to do with the differences among the Catholic schools. I don't know about western PA, but Devon Prep, West Catholic, Roman, LaSalle, Father Judge, and SJP have very different cultures and traditions.
It's sophomore year for the wpial as well and transfer happen in all sports. It just seems certain schools continue to get better every year because of them and it's not just football. Basketball may be worse. It happens in all sports. The piaa needs to crack down on it but they might be taking a page out of college athletics and that's the direction high school sports is heading as well. We are seeing more bishop Gormans, St Francis, st johns, mater dei's, st thomas Aquinas's and St joes preps. I don't feel like it's fair for the north Alleghenys and cb souths to play those schools especially come playoff time but maybe I'm the one living in the past and this is the direction high school sports is heading. I'm done complaining. I just hope we see good competitive games in all classification next weekend.

Last edited:
Reactions: lilromeo
i apologize, i was mixed up- transfer rule is same for wpial- after 9th for the playoffs

the difference is- it's just that transfers are not very common in wpial- HSs object/oppose them all the time, which is why they are not common.

the difference is- it's just that transfers are not very common in wpial- HSs object/oppose them all the time, which is why they are not common.
Transfers are common here but it’s worst in other parts of the state. Our catholic schools here are split between 2 divisions. Blue have the small schools. Most red division teams lose multiple kids to blue every year. Big schools lose way more than they receive.

Transfers are common here but it’s worst in other parts of the state. Our catholic schools here are split between 2 divisions. Blue have the small schools. Most red division teams lose multiple kids to blue every year. Big schools lose way more than they receive.

This was first to pop up when i googled- but high schools deny transfers around Pittsburgh all the time, and some get appealed to the WPIAL, who often says no, then it has to be appealed to PIAA, which often overturns. Just a real hassle and headache for parents. From a one-school example- I can tell you- in this article- it references a player from Pine Richland- i can tell you that the "admin" from PR did not like this publicity- and this partly led to the firing our of our coaching staff. Since 2017- if we are counting total kids- transferring- after 9th grade- heck i would even say after 7th grade, off the top of my head- 6 out. And "in" I'd put the total, over 6 years- 3 kids who have "played" maybe a couple other kids who just happened to move here, but did not really play. I would guess that total is typical in WPIAL, maybe a few more in some areas- PR is not a very "transient" area.

2020: You are correct, That was Kenny White and I heard exactly what you heard.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT