ADVERTISEMENT

My takeaway from the 2022 state championships

Honestly, at first, I thought you were comical with some of your comments, but I was mistaken, you’re not well. You are delusional. You think that commentary from a board of anonymous people with hear say and opinion is a valid marker for determining policy and direction. Ironically, you would make a fine modern day politician. Hello, Good Night.
Delusional? Not at all

I do value people’s opinions on here. Think of the people that frequently visit this board. Think about it. You willingly looked up “Pa high school football”, clicked On this website, enjoyed what you saw, and created an account. We clearly value high school football a lot. In fact, some people value it so much they pay money on this site. This is not a bad thing, since this is something they enjoy

".......... and the PIAA is some grand master that know everything?" Well they are in charge!

I didn't say anything. You can complain all you want. But as long as Lombardi and the PIAA don't do anything, you're in for a very unfullfilled life!
i will just have to keep calling out the BS and i guess you guys will have to deal with that

Fletch -

So right -- get the ball rolling.

Course, I like the idea that any player can go to any school he wants to promote his agenda - academic, athletic or both, we hope!

This is America.

I don't understand several of Lombardi's comments.

#1- :schools take tuition kids... they become non-boundary"

?? I understand this is allowed- but A) it is not common "uh yea, I'm gonna pay my $2000 property taxes in my current and ALSO pay the $5000 tuition in this other school nearby?" No, that is not a frequent thing, AND B) I'm pretty sure many districts could/would still question that- im pretty sure WPIAL would deny eligibility if this was done for "sports purposes."

#2 "teachers brings their children in... they become non-boundary" What?? Never ever heard of that, not sure what that means

I'm interested to hear others' input...

#2 "teachers brings their children in... they become non-boundary" What?? Never ever heard of that, not sure what that means
most public schools that I know of in PA allow teachers to bring their students into the district even if they live out of it. The ones I know of do charge tuition at a much discounted rate.

most public schools that I know of in PA allow teachers to bring their students into the district even if they live out of it. The ones I know of do charge tuition at a much discounted rate.
mmm, I have never heard of that about teachers, maybe that used to happen, but pretty sure either unusual, or no longer allowed

mmm, I have never heard of that about teachers, maybe that used to happen, but pretty sure either unusual, or no longer allowed
I am a teacher, we have kids in our school who live in other districts but attend our school because their parent works at our school. It's not that uncommon.

what area do you live in? not specifically, not asking your address... but what PIAA area- D7, D10, etc?

This is terrific for all parties involved
Just curious, who would Pitt Central Catholic play during the regular season? OMG there would be no large school competition for them unless Im missing something. Im sure they wont be traveling 6 hours to Philly every other week.

As far as PCC, I would imagine they would start playing more Ohio and Western NY schools along with ECP. I would think some WPIAL schools would still like the play them as well. (Remember, that the WPIAL does all scheduling out hear, so schools still may not have much of a choice.)

The reality is this bill is just to allow the PIAA the OPTION of separating the playoffs. And Dr. Lombardi doesn't seem inclined to even entertain the idea.

Just curious, who would Pitt Central Catholic play during the regular season? OMG there would be no large school competition for them unless Im missing something. Im sure they wont be traveling 6 hours to Philly every other week.
Erie Cathedral prep could turn into a great rivalry. Maybe St. Edwards from Ohio

Fletch -

So right -- get the ball rolling.

Course, I like the idea that any player can go to any school he wants to promote his agenda - academic, athletic or both, we hope!

This is America.
I agree that competition makes everyone better. I just think open SD borders would wreak havoc on the real estate market.

I agree that competition makes everyone better. I just think open SD borders would wreak havoc on the real estate market.
open borders- i don't see that ever happening- the issue is property taxes, not "real estate." property tax is the "sacred cow" of school funding in PA.

lil- i agree- making big changes- we would very quickly open debates about the "real state champion."

tough scenario, no easy answer

Just keep the private school model. Everybody pays property taxes. If you go to a school outside your district (or a private school), you also pay tuition at that school.

I can come up with a choice transfer idea that they use in NC. It would limit transferring to the county you live in but it would work. I do not think it's feasible to have just a private league and state championship. Just allow the public schools to have choice transfer. And god I hate to say it maybe PA needs to have county wide schools systems instead of each town is it's own kingdom

Just keep the private school model. Everybody pays property taxes. If you go to a school outside your district (or a private school), you also pay tuition at that school

Just keep the private school model. Everybody pays property taxes. If you go to a school outside your district (or a private school), you also pay tuition at that school.
New-
That is already allowed- I think the question is, could districts, and the PIAA remove the "eligibility rules" on transfers, to allow for this being more common. I just do not see that happening. Too many forces to maintain status quo- and this would create an even greater "imbalance" of haves-and-have-nots. Most average PA families cannot afford to pay 3000 bucks in property taxes to School A, where they live, and then pay another 4000 to send their kid to a neighboring School B / public school "for sports reasons." Wealthy parents could do that, poor could not. Just not gonna happen, imo

And steel- sorry, not meaning to debate- but I have known literally hundreds of teachers, including family members in PA, I have never heard of a HS allowing a student to enroll there "cuz his mom is a teacher who works there but does not live there." Maybe it happens in other parts of PA, but not Western PA, and if it has, is very uncommon, and maybe used to happen 30 years ago, when "school costs" were lower.

And Sammy- I like the idea of "choice transfer" but again, I see as unlikely, just around Pittsburgh there are like 120 HSs- I see that as a funding and political "quagmire" that will not get approved.

New-
That is already allowed- I think the question is, could districts, and the PIAA remove the "eligibility rules" on transfers, to allow for this being more common. I just do not see that happening. Too many forces to maintain status quo- and this would create an even greater "imbalance" of haves-and-have-nots. Most average PA families cannot afford to pay 3000 bucks in property taxes to School A, where they live, and then pay another 4000 to send their kid to a neighboring School B / public school "for sports reasons." Wealthy parents could do that, poor could not. Just not gonna happen, imo

And steel- sorry, not meaning to debate- but I have known literally hundreds of teachers, including family members in PA, I have never heard of a HS allowing a student to enroll there "cuz his mom is a teacher who works there but does not live there." Maybe it happens in other parts of PA, but not Western PA, and if it has, is very uncommon, and maybe used to happen 30 years ago, when "school costs" were lower.

And Sammy- I like the idea of "choice transfer" but again, I see as unlikely, just around Pittsburgh there are like 120 HSs- I see that as a funding and political "quagmire" that will not get approved.
Just for some perspective, we have a handful of tuition students each year in the Central Bucks school district. High school tuition is approximately $16,600.

As you said, if you remove the post-season eligibility restrictions, you'll end up with kids transferring into a team that looks already stacked... for the chance to play for a state championship. It's not going to make things any better, only worse.

open borders- i don't see that ever happening- the issue is property taxes, not "real estate." property tax is the "sacred cow" of school funding in PA.
Property taxes are one thing, but it would wreak havoc on the real estate market where shitty SDs border good SDs. We have neighborhoods in our area that are split between shitty/good SD where there is over a $100k difference in home value between shitty/good for the same model house. Houses in shitty SDs would increase instantly and houses in good SDs would tank.

So right now I teach in Western PA (WPIAL) and we have 9 teachers in our school district who have kids in our district that aren't from our school. 7 of the 9 are elementary school teachers. 2 years ago I had a kid from Chartiers Houston on my team because his mom taught at our school. It costs our employees $400.00/year to send their kid to our district.

Most elementary school teachers do it to save time and money. They don't need a sitter because the kid comes to school with them. Many times those kids will return to their home district in junior high or high school.

So right now I teach in Western PA (WPIAL) and we have 9 teachers in our school district who have kids in our district that aren't from our school. 7 of the 9 are elementary school teachers. 2 years ago I had a kid from Chartiers Houston on my team because his mom taught at our school. It costs our employees $400.00/year to send their kid to our district.

Most elementary school teachers do it to save time and money. They don't need a sitter because the kid comes to school with them. Many times those kids will return to their home district in junior high or high school.
Where do you coach. Sounds like Washington County or how they say is back home Worshington

Property taxes are one thing, but it would wreak havoc on the real estate market where shitty SDs border good SDs. We have neighborhoods in our area that are split between shitty/good SD where there is over a $100k difference in home value between shitty/good for the same model house. Houses in shitty SDs would increase instantly and houses in good SDs would tank.
This could have a far greater effect on the process in entirety. While this is a piece, I do believe that a number of public schools will eventually need to cluster their teams as CYO teams have done as the amount of players decreases.

Reactions: paul from philly
This could have a far greater effect on the process in entirety. While this is a piece, I do believe that a number of public schools will eventually need to cluster their teams as CYO teams have done as the amount of players decreases.

This will definitely happen. As long as the pool of talent keeps dwindling there is no other choice. Granted, it's not happening over night but..................!

I've seen this before- and was not sure- what is "CYO team" mean?

I've seen this before- and was not sure- what is "CYO team" mean?
Catholic Youth Organization. Used to be each parish could support it's own football, basketball team but not anymore. The last year my son was in it, there were 4 parishes that made the team up.

Catholic Youth Organization. Used to be each parish could support it's own football, basketball team but not anymore. The last year my son was in it, there were 4 parishes that made the team up.
Gotcha thx- i agree this court case may have some effect- BUT note the article says it took 8 years!!! So, the changes will not happen fast- but interesting that Shapiro helped push this- so now that he is in the big house- might signal changes sooner than later. Not sure how Philly compares, but Pittsburgh- wow- 44 Public School Districts in one county- including private schools, and all of the city HSs- not sure maybe 60 in a 15 mile radius

That is a big complicated web- and very big contrasts of wealthy and poor districts tangled together

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT