ADVERTISEMENT

My takeaway from the 2022 state championships

northalleghenytiger

Aug 22, 2022
Point #1: Cumberland valley as a site really sucks. I hated the red end zones and the giant CV in the middle. Didn’t look like a state championship at all. Reminded me of a lame quarterfinal playoff game

Hershey Park is the perfect place for it. All you have to do is Fix the terrible locker rooms and make it not smell like cow manure.

Point #2: The games this year were far worse in terms of enjoyment than last year. There was 1 close game compared to the 3(4)? Games last year. Most of the games were done by halftime. This point leads into…

Point #3: Separate private and public schools. No one wants to see SJP win again by 40 next year. I don’t even think SJP wants to. How is it fun to beat every team by mercy rule? Play a national schedule. I want to see community vs community. Not a bunch of handpicked all stars on one team

Have you noticed every high school football movie focuses on the community aspect?

Point #1: Cumberland valley as a site really sucks. I hated the red end zones and the giant CV in the middle. Didn’t look like a state championship at all. Reminded me of a lame quarterfinal playoff game

Hershey Park is the perfect place for it. All you have to do is Fix the terrible locker rooms and make it not smell like cow manure.

Point #2: The games this year were far worse in terms of enjoyment than last year. There was 1 close game compared to the 3(4)? Games last year. Most of the games were done by halftime. This point leads into…

Point #3: Separate private and public schools. No one wants to see SJP win again by 40 next year. I don’t even think SJP wants to. How is it fun to beat every team by mercy rule? Play a national schedule. I want to see community vs community. Not a bunch of handpicked all stars on one team

Have you noticed every high school football movie focuses on the community aspect?
Community vs community would also give certain teams advantages though. Correct?

So since you want to separate private and public, please show me the 6A private playoff bracket and then show me what neutral field they are playing at and then show me how far each team would have to travel for each game.

Reactions: Stalker

Were you there or are you commenting only on how Cumberland Valley looked on TV? The only thing that bothered me, watching remotely, was the light show that followed each TV. Just seemed a bit cheap.

So since you want to separate private and public, please show me the 6A private playoff bracket and then show me what neutral field they are playing at and then show me how far each team would have to travel for each game.
It's increasingly obvious that the public/private business doesn't really bother anyone--though maybe if another private dominated a classification other than 6A (the way Wood did for a while)--there'd be complaints that went beyond SJP. It's interesting that no one seems to have any problem with Bishop McDevitt which is every bit as much a non-boundary school as SJP.

I can't see how having all-private classifications would work in the playoffs. There aren't enough private schools in the PIAA for there to be more than two classifications. But that would leave schools of very different sizes competing against each other. And, as you suggest, some teams would have to travel very long distances to play, in many cases, in very non-competitive games.

One thing that's becoming evident is that separating schools into classifications based on overall school enrollment makes less and less sense. Northeast and Harrisburg are big schools but dressed fewer players than the schools playing for the 2A championship/

It's increasingly obvious that the public/private business doesn't really bother anyone--though maybe if another private dominated a classification other than 6A (the way Wood did for a while)--there'd be complaints that went beyond SJP. It's interesting that no one seems to have any problem with Bishop McDevitt which is every bit as much a non-boundary school as SJP.

I can't see how having all-private classifications would work in the playoffs. There aren't enough private schools in the PIAA for there to be more than two classifications. But that would leave schools of very different sizes competing against each other. And, as you suggest, some teams would have to travel very long distances to play, in many cases, in very non-competitive games.

One thing that's becoming evident is that separating schools into classifications based on overall school enrollment makes less and less sense. Northeast and Harrisburg are big schools but dressed fewer players than the schools playing for the 2A championship/
Mcdevitt has down years and rebuilding years. They can't pull the talent preps able to. You can't compare mcdevitts football team to preps just like you can't compare mcdevitts basketball team to Imhoteps. After next year prep will have won 10 out of the 11 state championships. That number will keep growing as well. You guys can say it's the school, coaching, ect... But when you have 25+ D1 kids on your team every year thats the difference and at prep D1 kids get replaced with D1 kids. They are bringing in the 4 and 5 star players every year. I don't have issues with private schools. I have problems with prep in football and Imhotep and Neumann in basketball competing in the Piaa playoffs because of the level of talent they bring in every single year. They are the mater dei and st John's of Pennsylvania.

Reactions: Aragorn and Stalker
Mcdevitt has down years and rebuilding years. They can't pull the talent preps able to. You can't compare mcdevitts football team to preps just like you can't compare mcdevitts basketball team to Imhoteps. After next year prep will have won 10 out of the 11 state championships. That number will keep growing as well. You guys can say it's the school, coaching, ect... But when you have 25+ D1 kids on your team every year thats the difference and at prep D1 kids get replaced with D1 kids. They are bringing in the 4 and 5 star players every year.
If SJP wins next year, it'll be eight of eleven, not ten of eleven. There's a difference. I'm not making a direct comparison between McDevitt and SJP but just want to point out that for all the complaints on here about the advantages of not having boundaries, no one seems bothered that McDevitt doesn't have boundaries.

As for SJP, I'll be very surprised if they are as strong after next year's class graduates. Their program is not so kind of machine that's guaranteed to produce great teams every year. Yes, having many talented players is a real advantage, but in some respects it is harder to achieve and maintain cohesion when you have many talented and ambitious players, especially when they play the same position--e.g. this year's receivers and running backs. The program has been built over the last dozen plus years not just by Infante and Roken but by Sugden, Connors, Morrison, Kerrigan, etc. Hard to think of a sport where coaching makes a bigger difference than high school football.

It's a beautiful stadium and easily accessed, now seating (I believe) just over 9000. And about their logo, why don't you let them know your opinion, suggest they change it to PIAA on upper rocker, Playoffs on the lower. It was "Year-1" and I imagine they'll consider other options through the term of their 5-year contract.

About Hershey Stad, it's probably not many years from being condemned. The grand old place is crumbling in a few spots but still magnificent in some ways.

How do you separate pubs and privates? What does that look like; conf alignments, classifications. Sounds like a tournament that might shake out to Cathedral vs Pitt CC and SJP vs McDevitt every year; LS, Roman, Beca-Allen CC making guest appearances....in the Big School Division.

Last edited:
If SJP wins next year, it'll be eight of eleven, not ten of eleven. There's a difference. I'm not making a direct comparison between McDevitt and SJP but just want to point out that for all the complaints on here about the advantages of not having boundaries, no one seems bothered that McDevitt doesn't have boundaries.

As for SJP, I'll be very surprised if they are as strong after next year's class graduates. Their program is not so kind of machine that's guaranteed to produce great teams every year. Yes, having many talented players is a real advantage, but in some respects it is harder to achieve and maintain cohesion when you have many talented and ambitious players, especially when they play the same position--e.g. this year's receivers and running backs. The program has been built over the last dozen plus years not just by Infante and Roken but by Sugden, Connors, Morrison, Kerrigan, etc. Hard to think of a sport where coaching makes a bigger difference than high school football.
I've meant they made 10 out of 11 state championships. A down year for prep is silver at cumberland valley. They aren't guaranteed but they are bringing in the 4 and 5 star talent every year. Doesnt the 2013-14 team have 3 NFL players and I think the 19 team will as well. This team can have a few. Prep is the only team that's doing that other then Imhotep and Neumann in basketball. They are Pennsylvanias mater dei.

I've meant they made 10 out of 11 state championships. A down year for prep is silver at cumberland valley. They aren't guaranteed but they are bringing in the 4 and 5 star talent every year. Doesnt the 2013-14 team have 3 NFL players and I think the 19 team will as well. This team can have a few. Prep is the only team that's doing that other then Imhotep and Neumann in basketball. They are Pennsylvanias mater dei.
Do you think that these guys are 4 and 5 star guys coming in or coaching plays a part? If prep coaches were at Imhotep we would hear all complaints shift their way. The reason they fly under the radar is due to the lack of hardware. Coaching matters and most schools aren’t getting freshmen walking through the doors as finished products.

Do you think that these guys are 4 and 5 star guys coming in or coaching plays a part? If prep coaches were at Imhotep we would hear all complaints shift their way. The reason they fly under the radar is due to the lack of hardware. Coaching matters and most schools aren’t getting freshmen walking through the doors as finished products.
I think they are coming in. You know when a kids special. There's colleges offering 7th graders scholarships now a days. I do think they need coaching as well but I think SJPs major advantage is the talent. I went to Erie cathedral prep which is a private school and story book program. As good as that programs been they've had two NFL players in school history. Bob sanders and Mark Stepnoski. Sjp had 3 on the 2013 team alone. I think the 2020 team will have 3 NFL players as well.

Last edited:
I think they are coming in. You know when a kids special. There's colleges offering 7th graders scholarships now a days. I do think they need coaching as well but I think SJPs major advantage is the talent. I went to Erie cathedral prep which is a private school and story book program. As good as that programs been they've had two NFL players in school history. Bob sanders and Mark Stepnoski. Sjp had 3 on the 2013 team alone.
Here's a link to a document from SJP that identifies 11 graduates now playing for D1 teams--a fair bit short of 25: https://stjosephsprep.myschoolapp.com/ftpimages/1424/download/download_8087078.pdf

There is a big difference between the "offers" many players get when they're in 8th grade or in freshman or sophomore year and what actually is on the table--and the decisions students/parents make. What probably matters most to many parents is the number of Prep grads playing at schools like Princeton, Harvard, Penn, Amherst, Lehigh, Colgate, etc. Not all the schools are high-status academic institutions, but the range of schools and the number of Prep grads continuing to play after leaving the Prep is impressive--and draws many students/parents to the Prep.

Note also how many of the coaches have been at the Prep for a long time--and are Prep graduates.

ps I agree that more than 11 players on the current Prep team will wind up playing for D1 schools. The program continues to develop.

Here's a link to a document from SJP that identifies 11 graduates now playing for D1 teams--a fair bit short of 25: https://stjosephsprep.myschoolapp.com/ftpimages/1424/download/download_8087078.pdf

There is a big difference between the "offers" many players get when they're in 8th grade or in freshman or sophomore year and what actually is on the table--and the decisions students/parents make. What probably matters most to many parents is the number of Prep grads playing at schools like Princeton, Harvard, Penn, Amherst, Lehigh, Colgate, etc. Not all the schools are high-status academic institutions, but the range of schools and the number of Prep grads continuing to play after leaving the Prep is impressive--and draws many students/parents to the Prep.

Note also how many of the coaches have been at the Prep for a long time--and are Prep graduates.

ps I agree that more than 11 players on the current Prep team will wind up playing for D1 schools. The program continues to develop.
That's a ton and I'm not talking just seniors. The "fresh set of downs" YouTube show done by eastern pa football reporters were talking about the Garnet valley prep game. They said gv has 2 D1 guys were prep has 20+ D1 guys in the program. That's from the freshman to senior class. Regardless of that my point is preps able to bring in serious talent every year. My school has had 2 NFL players in school history where prep has at least 2 different teams that has or will have 3 NFL guys and that's on one single team. It's a football factory like Imhotep is a basketball factory. They are equivalent to mater dei, st John's, st Thomas Aquinas, and st Francis. Prep in football and Imhotep and Neumann in basketball should not be participating in the Piaa playoffs. They are these super all star teams being put together every year. No other school in pa is doing what those 3 are. If you took this year's big 33 team minus the prep players and put them up against prep I'm putting my money on prep and that's all the best players from around the state.

Last edited:
That's a ton and I'm not talking just seniors. The "fresh set of downs" YouTube show done by eastern pa football reporters said that preps football program this year has anywhere from from 25-28 D1 guys. That's from the freshman to senior class. Regardless of that my point is preps able to bring in serious talent every year. My school has 2 NFL players in school history where prep has at least 2 different teams that has or will have 3 NFL players or more on one single team. It's a football factory like Imhotep is a basketball factory. They are equivalent to mater dei, st John's, st Thomas Aquinas, and st Francis. Prep in football and Imhotep and Neumann in basketball should not be participating in the Piaa playoffs. They are these super all star teams being put together every year.
your school was in erie pa, those other schools are in one of the biggest cities in the country that has a track record of athletes

That's a ton and I'm not talking just seniors. The "fresh set of downs" YouTube show done by eastern pa football reporters said that preps football program this year has anywhere from from 25-28 D1 guys. That's from the freshman to senior class. Regardless of that my point is preps able to bring in serious talent every year. My school has 2 NFL players in school history where prep has at least 2 different teams that has or will have 3 NFL players or more on one single team. It's a football factory like Imhotep is a basketball factory. They are equivalent to mater dei, st John's, st Thomas Aquinas, and st Francis. Prep in football and Imhotep and Neumann in basketball should not be participating in the Piaa playoffs. They are these super all star teams being put together every year.
I don't think IMG or St. Frances have too many graduates playing at Princeton, Colgate, Penn, Amherst, etc.

Those guys on "Fresh Set of Downs" are good guys but they sometimes get things wrong, e.g. they have said many times that West at SJP is a freshman, and they get caught up in all the "offers hype." The Prep President told me a few months ago that the school tries to make sure the players know that the "offers" they get as freshmen or sophomores are next to worthless, i.e. the colleges are not binding themselves to anything.

All that said, I agree that SJP's program is now on a different level from that of other PA schools.

I don't think IMG or St. Frances have too many graduates playing at Princeton, Colgate, Penn, Amherst, etc.

Those guys on "Fresh Set of Downs" are good guys but they sometimes get things wrong, e.g. they have said many times that West at SJP is a freshman, and they get caught up in all the "offers hype." The Prep President told me a few months ago that the school tries to make sure the players know that the "offers" they get as freshmen or sophomores are next to worthless, i.e. the colleges are not binding themselves to anything.

All that said, I agree that SJP's program is now on a different level from that of other PA schools.
My point is no other school in pa is able to bring in the talent prep is every year and that's every single year. They are these super all star teams. I dont have an issue with what prep is doing as long as they don't participate in the Piaa playoffs. Play all the national teams and pa teams you want but don't compete for a state trophy. They are ruining the 6A tournament. By the list you just sent me unless I miss counted I counted over 25+ D1 guys in that program from freshman to senior class. I also stand corrected the 2014 team had 4 future NFL player on it and the 19 team will have at least 3 in Harrison, trotter and McCord.

Last edited:
My point is no other school in pa is able to bring in the talent prep is every year and that's every single year. They are these super all star team. I dont have an issue with what prep is doing as long as they don't participate in the Piaa playoffs. Play all the national teams and pa teams you want but don't compete for a state trophy. They are ruining the 6A tournament.
Did they ruin the 6A tournament in 2021, 2019, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, and 2013? (Some think PCC might have been a strong opponent in 2020 if they hadn't been sidelined by Covid.) And was SJP responsible for 6A being--across the state, according to people in all the regions--very down this year?

About "every single year": I doubt any class in the past has had as many very talented players as the current junior class, and it may be that no future class has as many.

Did they ruin the 6A tournament in 2021, 2019, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, and 2013? (Some think PCC might have been a strong opponent in 2020 if they hadn't been sidelined by Covid.) And was SJP responsible for 6A being--across the state, according to people in all the regions--very down this year?

About "every single year": I doubt any class in the past has had as many very talented players as the current junior class, and it may be that no future class has as many.
For a lot of those schools that would have advanced to a state finals but got knocked out by sjp it did ruin it. I'm looking at the kids side of it and not the fan aspect. For some of these public schools it's a good team that comes along once in a decade (not every year) and to have your chances ruined to play in the playoffs or a title game because you got knocked out by an all star team sucks. Your stealing life time memories from these kids and prep will continue to do this every year. Prep will win it next year as well and keep this machine rolling. The schools with once in a decade team that get knocked out by an all star team is just shit out of luck. Same thing goes for all the schools in basketball that get knocked out by neuman and Imhotep. Might as well let the big 33 team compete in the Piaa playoffs as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: LenEshmont
For a lot of those schools that would have advanced to a state finals but got knocked out by sjp it did ruin it. I'm looking at the kids side of it and not the fan aspect. For some of these public schools it's a good team that comes along once in a decade (not every year) and to have your chances ruined to play in the playoffs or a title game because you got knocked out by an all star team sucks. Your stealing life time memories from those kids and prep will continue to do this every year.
This happened to my family in basketball when their 'once in a lifetime' team came along and got destroyed in the final by Kennedy Christian who played and defeated (or barely lost to) some Ohio powers and to then awesome Pitt-Schenley, losing by 2.
I related this story some months ago where some of us guys made up decent booklets of the season and importantly.......crowned them the Public School 1A champion, which they were....with trophies.

For a lot of those schools that would have advanced to a state finals but got knocked out by sjp it did ruin it. I'm looking at the kids side of it and not the fan aspect. For some of these public schools it's a good team that comes along once in a decade (not every year) and to have your chances ruined to play in the playoffs or a title game because you got knocked out by an all star team sucks. Your stealing life time memories from these kids and prep will continue to do this every year. Prep will win it next year as well and keep this machine rolling. The schools with once in a decade team that get knocked out by an all starteam is just shit out of luck. Some will go for all the schools in basketball that get knocked out by neuman and Imhotep.
Do you really think "the kids" on Mount Lebanon last year or Pine-Richland in 2014 and 2017 would have preferred to play another team in the state finals? Would all the Coatesville people--including the players--have preferred a game against PR rather than against SJP in the 2017 semi-final?

I guarantee that if SJP leaves the PIAA, within a year or--at the very most--two years we won't hear the end of claims that team x would have beaten SJP if SJP were still in the PIAA.

Do you really think "the kids" on Mount Lebanon last year or Pine-Richland in 2014 and 2017 would have preferred to play another team in the state finals? Would all the Coatesville people--including the players--have preferred a game against PR rather than against SJP in the 2017 semi-final?

I guarantee that if SJP leaves the PIAA, within a year or--at the very most--two years we won't hear the end of claims that team x would have beaten SJP if SJP were still in the PIAA.
Those are rare exceptions. Do you think Garnet valley and Harrisburg would have loved to play each other for an opportunity to win a state title and would have been one hell of a game. SJP ruined that opportunity. Take the all star team out of the mix and that's the game we would have had. I'm all for competition and I don't think everyone should win a trophy either but I'm also for things being fair. Prep is a super all star team year in and year out.

Reactions: Fletchster1
Those are rare exceptions. Do you think Garnet valley and Harrisburg would have loved to play each other for an opportunity to win a state title and would have been one hell of a game. SJP ruined that opportunity. Take the all star team out of the mix and that's the game we would have had. I'm all for competition and I don't think everyone should win a trophy either but I'm also for things being fair. Prep is a super all star team year in and year out.
All of pcl and a few other schools are operated like prep as it relates to borders. Why aren’t they winning?

All of pcl and a few other schools are operated like prep as it relates to borders. Why aren’t they winning?
Because a lot of them aren't making football a priority. Preps willing to dump the $ into the program and preps going out and getting the talent. I'm sure wealthy alumni are helping finance the football program. Weather it's traveling, equipment, stadiums, ext.. Imhotep and Neumann are doing it in basketball. Kennedy Catholic was doing it out west for awhile. Why do you think that same private schools are in the top MaxPreps top 25 every year. It's because they make football a priority. I bet you st Thomas Aquinas, st Joe's prep, st Francis, st, John's, st eds, ect.. will be in MaxPreps top 25 every year.

Last edited:
Reactions: d1football1

As a devoted fan of one of Prep’s arch-rivals who gets bounced out early in the playoffs almost every year, I could easily join the field in complaining about the so-called perennial all-star team residing at 17th and Girard.

But I have nothing but admiration for a successful program energized by Gil Brooks, accelerated by Gabe Infante, and rocketed by Tim Roken. Success was earned the hard way, and was catalyzed by the growth and activity of their Football Alumni, who supported the program financially. Though it seems primitive in today’s technology, the Football Alumni would support the creation and distribution of highlight DVD’s for each player, and send them out to prospective college coaches for their consideration. The exposure provided many players with opportunities they may not have received on their own.

Success bred success, and St. Joseph’s Prep would become the gold standard for aspiring star players in the Delaware Valley. But not everyone could come; you had to pass the entrance exam, and be a student first and a team player second. And though your family may receive some financial aid, you had to pay a significant portion of a significant tuition.

A significant milestone of the Hawk timeline of success occurred in early 2013, when generational player D’Andre Swift changed his mind and chose St. Joseph’s Prep over La Salle. The year-by-year talent pool was quite good, and got even better as the rest of the 2010’s unfolded. Exposure to out-of-state contests, started by Brooks, now resulted in early-season matchups shown on ESPN. Certainly, 7th and 8th graders in the Delaware Valley who had athletic abilities and football skills could dream about someday putting on a Hawk uniform.

All of the successes noted above are phenomenal, but I’ve yet to mention the by-far biggest reason for the success, namely the St. Joseph’s coaching staff. We are now in an age where there has been an erosion of the quality and quantity of coaches in youth football. Overall, coaching quality has diminished in the state of Pennsylvania, as long-time coaching legends have retired, and good young coaches are hard to find. But not at St. Joe’s, where long-time high-quality assistants have stayed the course through head coaching changes, and additional very qualified coaches have come to be part of the success.

If you watched the games at Cumberland Valley, you could easily see the impact that a high-quality coaching staff had on the field. The Hawks had few false starts, few encroachments, few dropped passes, few fumbles, few defensive blown assignments, and no “twelve men on the field” penalties. It’s great to have talent, but you move up to a higher plateau when you have coaches who can really coach individual players and offensive/defensive strategies. And yes, the St. Joseph’s coaching staff could coach rings around any of the other teams playing this past weekend. The execution of their game plan, the accountability of each individual player, the talent (of course), and the poise and confidence that they exude had me compare them to the other Bird team succeeding in South Philadelphia.

I want the Prep to stay successful, and I want our boys in Wyndmoor to get psyched up as always to play them twice a year. Though many of those games may result in blowouts, there wouldn’t be one player on La Salle’s team that would want St. Joseph’s to go away and play a national schedule. And any player on any team worth its salt would feel the same way.

As a devoted fan of one of Prep’s arch-rivals who gets bounced out early in the playoffs almost every year, I could easily join the field in complaining about the so-called perennial all-star team residing at 17th and Girard.

But I have nothing but admiration for a successful program energized by Gil Brooks, accelerated by Gabe Infante, and rocketed by Tim Roken. Success was earned the hard way, and was catalyzed by the growth and activity of their Football Alumni, who supported the program financially. Though it seems primitive in today’s technology, the Football Alumni would support the creation and distribution of highlight DVD’s for each player, and send them out to prospective college coaches for their consideration. The exposure provided many players with opportunities they may not have received on their own.

Success bred success, and St. Joseph’s Prep would become the gold standard for aspiring star players in the Delaware Valley. But not everyone could come; you had to pass the entrance exam, and be a student first and a team player second. And though your family may receive some financial aid, you had to pay a significant portion of a significant tuition.

A significant milestone of the Hawk timeline of success occurred in early 2013, when generational player D’Andre Swift changed his mind and chose St. Joseph’s Prep over La Salle. The year-by-year talent pool was quite good, and got even better as the rest of the 2010’s unfolded. Exposure to out-of-state contests, started by Brooks, now resulted in early-season matchups shown on ESPN. Certainly, 7th and 8th graders in the Delaware Valley who had athletic abilities and football skills could dream about someday putting on a Hawk uniform.

All of the successes noted above are phenomenal, but I’ve yet to mention the by-far biggest reason for the success, namely the St. Joseph’s coaching staff. We are now in an age where there has been an erosion of the quality and quantity of coaches in youth football. Overall, coaching quality has diminished in the state of Pennsylvania, as long-time coaching legends have retired, and good young coaches are hard to find. But not at St. Joe’s, where long-time high-quality assistants have stayed the course through head coaching changes, and additional very qualified coaches have come to be part of the success.

If you watched the games at Cumberland Valley, you could easily see the impact that a high-quality coaching staff had on the field. The Hawks had few false starts, few encroachments, few dropped passes, few fumbles, few defensive blown assignments, and no “twelve men on the field” penalties. It’s great to have talent, but you move up to a higher plateau when you have coaches who can really coach individual players and offensive/defensive strategies. And yes, the St. Joseph’s coaching staff could coach rings around any of the other teams playing this past weekend. The execution of their game plan, the accountability of each individual player, the talent (of course), and the poise and confidence that they exude had me compare them to the other Bird team succeeding in South Philadelphia.

I want the Prep to stay successful, and I want our boys in Wyndmoor to get psyched up as always to play them twice a year. Though many of those games may result in blowouts, there wouldn’t be one player on La Salle’s team that would want St. Joseph’s to go away and play a national schedule. And any player on any team worth its salt would feel the same way.
Get out of here, you can also see the giant difference in talent they bring in. There is no team that's able to bring that type of talent in every year. I love how the pcl guys think it's tough coaching and that prep just works harder. Harrisburg coaches and st Joe's prep coaches trade players guys who's taking home the gold. That's right Harrisburg. Prep bring in superior talent. Just like Neumann and Imhotep does in basketball. It cracks me up how people try and justify an all star team participating in the Piaa playoffs. Normal highschools don't get to replace Kyle McCord with Samurai Jones. They are bringing in football talent and are a national program playing regular high schools in the playoffs.

Last edited:
The numbers have changed - there are less football players in most districts/private schools. But the numbers have increased at certain schools, ie SJP. In addition the talent has increased at SJP from even 10-15 years ago. I would love to see more schools with the ability to match SJP on the field, just not happening right now. Times have changed. But that does not mean that their accomplishment should be castrated by haters. A "State Championship" is exactly what it says, it is not meant for everyone to achieve. The sport of football should be embraced/admired by all for what it provides all participants - character, discipline, teamwork and "Sportsmanship". The sport of football provides out of classroom education for preparation of how life is beyond school.

The numbers have changed - there are less football players in most districts/private schools. But the numbers have increased at certain schools, ie SJP. In addition the talent has increased at SJP from even 10-15 years ago. I would love to see more schools with the ability to match SJP on the field, just not happening right now. Times have changed. But that does not mean that their accomplishment should be castrated by haters. A "State Championship" is exactly what it says, it is not meant for everyone to achieve. The sport of football should be embraced/admired by all for what it provides all participants - character, discipline, teamwork and "Sportsmanship". The sport of football provides out of classroom education for preparation of how life is beyond school.
It's for everyone to achieve so long as it's a fair playing field and it is not. What life lessons are we teaching our kids that work thier ass off in the off season only to get slaughtered by a super all star team. I guess mater dei, st John's, and st Francis are all model problems too.

Last edited:
Get out of here, you can also see the giant difference in talent they bring in. There is no team that's able to bring that type of talent in every year. I love how the pcl guys think it's tough coaching and that prep just works harder. Harrisburg coaches and st Joe's prep coaches trade players guys who's taking home the gold. That's right Harrisburg. Prep bring in superior talent. Just like Neumann and Imhotep does in basketball. It cracks me up how people try and justify an all star team participating in the Piaa playoffs. Normal highschools don't get to replace Kyle McCord with Samurai Jones. They are bringing in football talent and are a national program playing regular high schools in the playoffs.
I get the sense you haven't spent much time in Philly, especially around 17th and Girard. If you did, you wouldn't be constantly comparing SJP with IMG, STA, or Mater Dei.

I get the sense you haven't spent much time in Philly, especially around 17th and Girard. If you did, you wouldn't be constantly comparing SJP with IMG, STA, or Mater Dei.
Please explain the difference then between prep and st Thomas Aquinas, st John's, and mater dei and the way they all run their football programs then. What does prep do differently from those schools. I'm all ears.

Last edited:
Please explain the difference then between prep and st Thomas Aquinas, st John's, and mater dei and the way they all run their football programs then. What does prep do differently from those schools. I'm all ears.
Prep is not on the same level as those teams and while they have played one of them, their record out of state is quite average. Also, the Prep does not have any fields or facilities. The weight room is a portion of the basement with serious limitations. How’s that … also, “no one likes us, we don’t care”

Those schools have beautiful facilities and attractions to lure in great sponsors and talented athletes. Prep don’t own their own field, weight room is outdated (from pics they post) , and it’s in one of the most dangerous areas in the country.

Reactions: Bighead75
Prep is not on the same level as those teams and while they have played one of them, their record out of state is quite average. Also, the Prep does not have any fields or facilities. The weight room is a portion of the basement with serious limitations. How’s that … also, “no one likes us, we don’t care”
Prep has no problem pulling the talent those schools do. Thier out of state competition is other top ranked football teams in the country. Schools they should be playing St Tomas Aquinas, st Peter's, don bosko, img, st John's, ect... Schools that are national programs like themselves. They are sure able to fund thier team to travel the country and play on espn. They are a super all star team like the other schools mentioned.

Also, being from a different school in the conference. We had great basketball teams at Roman. It’s up to the school to invest in their program. Just imagine if prep got every player they went after. I know it was rumors they would get Denmark after his freshmen year. Could you imagine that wr core? Or if Sam Brown woulda chose prep over lasalle. There’s a ton of talent here for schools to pick from, but like someone else said it has to be a perfect fit. They lose recruits and choose not to take on some really good talents bc of fit.

Lastly, if this was such an advantage why did the PIAA come knocking ?

Also, being from a different school in the conference. We had great basketball teams at Roman. It’s up to the school to invest in their program. Just imagine if prep got every player they went after. I know it was rumors they would get Denmark after his freshmen year. Could you imagine that wr core? Or if Sam Brown woulda chose prep over lasalle. There’s a ton of talent here for schools to pick from, but like someone else said it has to be a perfect fit. They lose recruits and choose not to take on some really good talents bc of fit.

Lastly, if this was such an advantage why did the PIAA come knocking ?
Youre right roman in basketball as well. There are years the Piaa will knock off an all star team. 21 mt Lebo and 17 Pine but those are once in a life time teams for those schools. They don't have the luxury to put together those teams every year like prep. Regular schools the players are homegrown rather hand picked.

Those schools have beautiful facilities and attractions to lure in great sponsors and talented athletes. Prep don’t own their own field, weight room is outdated (from pics they post) , and it’s in one of the most dangerous areas in the country.
basic weights and benches are good enough, the modern machines aren't ideal for strength training they just look fancy and maybe at best prevent injury

who cares they don't own a field? you have size, speed, and talent what difference does it make where you practice or play on?

ADVERTISEMENT