ADVERTISEMENT

WPIAL 6A Rankings

new2pa

Nov 9, 2014
Hope this can help the rest you guys understand whats going on out here in 6A.

1. North Allegheny: I really think they and PCC are 1a and 1b but I give NA the nod since they beat PCC. NA's special teams and offense are the strength of an overall very good NA team. They are exactly the same team they have been for the past several years. Solid up front with some good skill guys. Offensively, they revolve around getting the ball to Luke Collela (WR) and Percise Colon (RB). Collela is a Princeton commit and is an all around weapon for them catching the ball and on cross-buck/reverse type plays. Colon is very small, but surprisingly tough and also fast. Have to tackle him around the LOS or he could be gone. The rest of the skill guys are solid, but not spectacular. QB is better than years past and is also a run threat. (He killed P-R last year running QB ISO.) Even with the younger Lugg (Harvard commit), the OL is probably a notch down from years past. Still very good but not punishing. Special teams, particularly KOR are very good. Have opened several games with TDs. While they are undefeated, they have been in games until the 4th quarter (Lebo, Hempfield) before the game got out of hand.

2. PCC: PCC is all about their defensive line, which is large and athletic. The Donald kid is the real deal. A little light, but quick and athletic. The other kids are thick and fairly athletic - the Allen twins are MAC level kids and Beatty is going to UNC. Beatty looks to have gained weight and wasn't as nimble as the year before. LBs are very solid with Suneri leading the way as a 3 year starter. The secondary is probably the weakness of the defense. They are young back there and don't have anyone close to the Hamlin/Garner. When P-R had time, they were able to effectively throw the ball on them. Offensively, PCC runs the ball between the tackles and takes shots. No developed passing game to speak of. The Tillman kid at RB is smaller but very fast and shifty and seemed to solve his fumbling problems. QB is a caretaker who doesn't make mistakes and leads the team. WR look the part but the hyped up kids haven't played well - lots of drops. Best of them is a track kid - #19. Lots of kids play both ways which is interesting for PCC. As a side note, I think many people believe that this is PCC's last really good shot for a WPIAL in a while. JV and freshman teams are average. Time will tell.

3. P-R: I thought P-R's defense would be the weakness of the team, but they are a strength. Besides the PCC game where the offense gave them NO help, they are allowing under a TD a game with several shutouts. They fly around and have many looks to confuse the O. Also, I've not seen this at the HS level, but they definitely have substitution packages where different skill kids come on in long yardage situation. Coach K has them tuned up. Rechenberg at LB has been outstanding and a sophomore (Hasley) has stepped up and looks like he could be the best of the bunch. Tall, fast and tough. Up front, Jackson dominates and plays at a different level. Nobody been able to block him. The other DE Miller has had a sold year too. In the secondary, Boyd and Schweiger at S have played very well. Both can run and hit. On offense, the name of the game is getting the ball to the skill guys in space, who I think are the best in the WPIAL. Meckler and Jochem are the two fastest kids on the team and are a threat to take it to the house every play. Meckler isn't rushing the ball nearly has much but has probably 25 receptions and leads team in TD's. Jochem moves all around at WR and is long and fast. Every game I've been to he's had long TD's over or around people. Johnson is the other WR who is coming on. More of a possession kid, but 6'3" and 200#'s. QB, Spencer, is outstanding. I think he's better as a Junior than DiNucci and putting up passing numbers to rival Jurkovec as a junior (and that team was all about Jurkovec). He's only 5'10" though so not much college interest. The weakness of the O is the OL. Jackson goes both ways and is solid and Tackles are improving. Hayes is the best of the bunch. If they can get average to better Center play, they could make some more noise in the playoffs.

4. Lebo: Just saw them last week. They are solid in all phases, but as I said in another post, a long way away from being competitive with the top 3. Their best players are Evan Jones and Mason Ventrone and a big OL/DL. Lots of hype for those kids, but really were non-existent from what I saw. On the plus side for Lebo is that they play a lot of young players in the secondary and will have to build from that. QB is only a sophomore, so some potential. But complete rebuild on OL and DL/LB. Possibly take a step back before improving.

5. Seneca Valley: P-R plays them this week so I will know more after that, but I think they are a pretty typical SV team, just not as athletic as usual. Best player is a LB with Ivy offers and an OL going to Purdue. They have a 3 year starter at QB but still struggle to score. I don't think they have much in the way of speed and QB is more of a big runner than dual threat. Its sort of amazing they aren't better in that they are about double to the size of these other schools.

6. Canon-MacMillan: They rank lower than this in talent IMO but a nice QB and very good coaching is going to get them in the playoffs. Not really much to say except they play hard and don't quit.

7. Hempfield: Seems like every year is supposed to be there year to break out. This year they had a huge OL and DL and returned 9 or 10 starters on both side of the ball. But nothing. Haven't beaten anyone and seem destined to stay where they are. They do try and do some modern things on O and D and hung with PCC for a while, but they can't get over the hump.

8. Norwin: D1 QB and 1 win over a 6A team? Not sure what's going on there. They have some work to do,

9. Butler: Their varsity is awful, but believe it or not, I think they are better than they have been. Have heard the freshman team is very good so if those kids keep playing, look for Butler to compete for the final playoff spot in a few years.

Reactions: Soup13 and Stalker
Hope this can help the rest you guys understand whats going on out here in 6A.

1. North Allegheny: I really think they and PCC are 1a and 1b but I give NA the nod since they beat PCC. NA's special teams and offense are the strength of an overall very good NA team. They are exactly the same team they have been for the past several years. Solid up front with some good skill guys. Offensively, they revolve around getting the ball to Luke Collela (WR) and Percise Colon (RB). Collela is a Princeton commit and is an all around weapon for them catching the ball and on cross-buck/reverse type plays. Colon is very small, but surprisingly tough and also fast. Have to tackle him around the LOS or he could be gone. The rest of the skill guys are solid, but not spectacular. QB is better than years past and is also a run threat. (He killed P-R last year running QB ISO.) Even with the younger Lugg (Harvard commit), the OL is probably a notch down from years past. Still very good but not punishing. Special teams, particularly KOR are very good. Have opened several games with TDs. While they are undefeated, they have been in games until the 4th quarter (Lebo, Hempfield) before the game got out of hand.

2. PCC: PCC is all about their defensive line, which is large and athletic. The Donald kid is the real deal. A little light, but quick and athletic. The other kids are thick and fairly athletic - the Allen twins are MAC level kids and Beatty is going to UNC. Beatty looks to have gained weight and wasn't as nimble as the year before. LBs are very solid with Suneri leading the way as a 3 year starter. The secondary is probably the weakness of the defense. They are young back there and don't have anyone close to the Hamlin/Garner. When P-R had time, they were able to effectively throw the ball on them. Offensively, PCC runs the ball between the tackles and takes shots. No developed passing game to speak of. The Tillman kid at RB is smaller but very fast and shifty and seemed to solve his fumbling problems. QB is a caretaker who doesn't make mistakes and leads the team. WR look the part but the hyped up kids haven't played well - lots of drops. Best of them is a track kid - #19. Lots of kids play both ways which is interesting for PCC. As a side note, I think many people believe that this is PCC's last really good shot for a WPIAL in a while. JV and freshman teams are average. Time will tell.

3. P-R: I thought P-R's defense would be the weakness of the team, but they are a strength. Besides the PCC game where the offense gave them NO help, they are allowing under a TD a game with several shutouts. They fly around and have many looks to confuse the O. Also, I've not seen this at the HS level, but they definitely have substitution packages where different skill kids come on in long yardage situation. Coach K has them tuned up. Rechenberg at LB has been outstanding and a sophomore (Hasley) has stepped up and looks like he could be the best of the bunch. Tall, fast and tough. Up front, Jackson dominates and plays at a different level. Nobody been able to block him. The other DE Miller has had a sold year too. In the secondary, Boyd and Schweiger at S have played very well. Both can run and hit. On offense, the name of the game is getting the ball to the skill guys in space, who I think are the best in the WPIAL. Meckler and Jochem are the two fastest kids on the team and are a threat to take it to the house every play. Meckler isn't rushing the ball nearly has much but has probably 25 receptions and leads team in TD's. Jochem moves all around at WR and is long and fast. Every game I've been to he's had long TD's over or around people. Johnson is the other WR who is coming on. More of a possession kid, but 6'3" and 200#'s. QB, Spencer, is outstanding. I think he's better as a Junior than DiNucci and putting up passing numbers to rival Jurkovec as a junior (and that team was all about Jurkovec). He's only 5'10" though so not much college interest. The weakness of the O is the OL. Jackson goes both ways and is solid and Tackles are improving. Hayes is the best of the bunch. If they can get average to better Center play, they could make some more noise in the playoffs.

4. Lebo: Just saw them last week. They are solid in all phases, but as I said in another post, a long way away from being competitive with the top 3. Their best players are Evan Jones and Mason Ventrone and a big OL/DL. Lots of hype for those kids, but really were non-existent from what I saw. On the plus side for Lebo is that they play a lot of young players in the secondary and will have to build from that. QB is only a sophomore, so some potential. But complete rebuild on OL and DL/LB. Possibly take a step back before improving.

5. Seneca Valley: P-R plays them this week so I will know more after that, but I think they are a pretty typical SV team, just not as athletic as usual. Best player is a LB with Ivy offers and an OL going to Purdue. They have a 3 year starter at QB but still struggle to score. I don't think they have much in the way of speed and QB is more of a big runner than dual threat. Its sort of amazing they aren't better in that they are about double to the size of these other schools.

6. Canon-MacMillan: They rank lower than this in talent IMO but a nice QB and very good coaching is going to get them in the playoffs. Not really much to say except they play hard and don't quit.

7. Hempfield: Seems like every year is supposed to be there year to break out. This year they had a huge OL and DL and returned 9 or 10 starters on both side of the ball. But nothing. Haven't beaten anyone and seem destined to stay where they are. They do try and do some modern things on O and D and hung with PCC for a while, but they can't get over the hump.

8. Norwin: D1 QB and 1 win over a 6A team? Not sure what's going on there. They have some work to do,

9. Butler: Their varsity is awful, but believe it or not, I think they are better than they have been. Have heard the freshman team is very good so if those kids keep playing, look for Butler to compete for the final playoff spot in a few years.

Ok New, nice. Good having your insight. Collectively it appears there's a real scarcity of quality Qbs and then ANY teams that can throw....excepting PR. The D1 kid at Norwin is having a so-so year at 54%. Must have a deep passing game or receivers throwing for almost 1700 yards. 54%?
Hemp, But, Nor and CMac don't appear competitive at all per scores. Ditto Lebo getting blown out by quality teams (Gate, NA, PR). SV's a puzzle with QB as you mentioned more run than pass at 55%, 796 yards, 5/3 ratio but competitive losing on road to PCC 7-10, Lebo 20-26. Playoff sleeper? Looks wide open with top tiers battling hard. Then McDowell or State College both have weapons with the winners in that mix vs SJP or LS. D3 is wide open vs whatever emerges from East. I keep up New but have dedicated the year to Mid State so it's good having your views. Thanks.

Reactions: Soup13
That's right regarding passing attacks. Basically, nearly everything I see comes from long bomb type plays or checkdowns and broken tackles. The Norwin kid needs help - he was running for his life every play vs. P-R. He's going to Western Michigan I believe.

I have heard good things about McDowell both versus SV and their game versus ECP. Much improved. I would expect WPIAL winner to match up evenly with SC or McDowell, but get their doors blown off by SJP - even without Trotter. Think of it this way - any team in the WPIAL this year would be a 3-4 TD underdog to the '17 PR team and probably a 2-3 TD dog to the good PCC team in '16. (Which got mercy ruled by Prep.)

Reactions: Stalker
That's right regarding passing attacks. Basically, nearly everything I see comes from long bomb type plays or checkdowns and broken tackles. The Norwin kid needs help - he was running for his life every play vs. P-R. He's going to Western Michigan I believe.

I have heard good things about McDowell both versus SV and their game versus ECP. Much improved. I would expect WPIAL winner to match up evenly with SC or McDowell, but get their doors blown off by SJP - even without Trotter. Think of it this way - any team in the WPIAL this year would be a 3-4 TD underdog to the '17 PR team and probably a 2-3 TD dog to the good PCC team in '16. (Which got mercy ruled by Prep.)

How about winless at the time Woodland Hills crushing Seneca Valley. Norwin is just bad and the qb is doing it with no line. 6A is the top 3 and then nothing Mick to talk about. Lebo has size and talent but he not shown it can hang with the top dogs on 6A so far . Palko is working through a huge culture change and it takes time but this team is senior laden and next year could be tough with the lines graduating along with Ventrone and Jones. Soph qb is a good athlete, JV kids are athletic but did not see size so that hurts. I hear the re- alignment is coming for sure so maybe back to the old days with 4 classes? Would be better football all around. 5A is mostly competitive from what I have seen our west.

Reactions: Stalker and new2pa
How about winless at the time Woodland Hills crushing Seneca Valley. Norwin is just bad and the qb is doing it with no line. 6A is the top 3 and then nothing Mick to talk about. Lebo has size and talent but he not shown it can hang with the top dogs on 6A so far . Palko is working through a huge culture change and it takes time but this team is senior laden and next year could be tough with the lines graduating along with Ventrone and Jones. Soph qb is a good athlete, JV kids are athletic but did not see size so that hurts. I hear the re- alignment is coming for sure so maybe back to the old days with 4 classes? Would be better football all around. 5A is mostly competitive from what I have seen our west.
Palko may wake up the ghosts and it may get done in a brief period given they have plenty of them to wake up with their tradition however historic.
** wish PIAA clowns would go back to 4 classes.

Last night I was with friends and heard some injury reports. Seems that they are affecting everyone in the Big 3 in 6A.

On Friday night, Trent Miller the DE from P-R went out of the game with a dislocated shoulder. Did not return to the game and was in a ton of pain. Not good for the Rams facing NA next week.

For NA, one of their best defensive players, Amosis Porter is done for the year with a knee. Happened several weeks ago. Also, the Dinkins kid (UVa offer) hasn't played in several weeks unsure what happened to him.

For PCC, Suneri was hurt in a non-contact injury, Knee or ankle. Was on crutches on the sideline. From what I remember, he was best player in the back 7 for PCC.

Will be interesting to see how all this shakes out. Big one this week with NA at P-R and PCC at Lebo. NA, PCC, and P-R all have a shot at the #1 seed.

Updated as of the end of the regular season:

1. PCC: Offense is still going strong with Tillman leading the way and eveyrone knows about that great defensive line. Biggest question mark is if Sunseri (their best LB) will be able to play again - leg injury kept him out last week. He was best player among their back 7. PCC has a by then plays winner of Lebo vs. Seneca Valley @ Lebo

2. P-R: Since their PCC loss, they have been great offensively against very good teams (Lebo, SV, NA) and their defense just played their best game of the year against NA. They have legitimate playmakers at the WR spots in Jochem and Johnson. Spencer has been lights out at QB. If they can consistently get Meckler and the run game going, they will be very dangerous.

3. NA: Perhaps an off game vs P-R, but they didn't look good. I mentioned in the P-R thread that after Collela and Colon, they look pedestrian athletically. Getting Dinkens back from a ankle injury will help on both sides of the ball in that regard a lot, but I think they need to shore up their OL to have a shot against P-R and certainly NA.

4a. Lebo: Played OK vs. PCC early and then got blown out. I don't have anything more to share since last writeup about them.

4b. Seneca Valley: Sort of the north hills clone of Lebo. Bigger but not as athletic. However, if QB can play they way he did vs. P-R, they will be a threat to beat Lebo in the playoffs.

5. Canon-Mac: Nothing new to report, although they will be playing NA without their starting QB

6. Norwin: Total of something lie 10 wins with a D-1 QB in three years. Has to be disappointing.

7. Hempfield: Some individual great skill players, but can't put anything together.

8. Butler: Wait until next year.

Playoff Schedule

11/1
#6 Canon MacMillen at #3 NA
#5 Seneca Valley at #4 Lebo
#2 P-R and #1 PCC have byes

11/8
P-R plays CMac / NA Winner
PCC plays SV / Lebo Winner

Reactions: Stalker and Soup13
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT