ADVERTISEMENT

Best teams that didn’t win the WPIAL championship?

Viking: curious what you think of the job the new set of Pine-Richland coaches did at Central this year. I think it’s one of the largest under achievements ever.
Yes, they definitely underachieved. They should have played St. Joe’s in the final.

I will say that our offense was amazing, averaging ~45 points per game. So, that’s a positive step for the program. However, the defense continues to decline. Shocking how bad they were against NA.

How’d these coaches do their first couple years at pine?

Kasper, Sasson, Jochem all came in 2011. (Jochem was at PCC in 21.)

Kasper took over in 13. State finals loss in 14.

Lehmeier (and Neff I think) didn’t arrive until 17 w/Jurkovec as a senior I think.

What would worry me if I were you would be that group’s (lack of) success at SV with a great group.

IMO, Kasper may be opinionated and wants things done a certain way while the other group is very much a “do as your told and cya”. Great coaches and people, different personalities from everything I’ve heard and observed.

2011: Went undefeated including beating the 3A state champ Archbishop Wood. Had some weird flukey plays happen against USC in the playoffs, including a touchdown called back. I think that team had the talent to win states that year.

2021: this team was better than the 2020 WPIAL championship team. the offense improved considerably with bringing in Pine-Richlands coaches. They also were led by Notre dame commit Donovan Hinish. They only Lost to Imhotep and Mt. Lebanon. Those two Mt. Lebanon games were complete meltdowns by the coaching staff, and wasn’t indicative of the kids talent on the team. This led to the PCC community to lose faith in Totten.
i don't know wasn't there that weird thing with a field goal Wood kicked in that game, and the referees claimed they couldn't see where the ball went?

I think if they replayed that game at the end of the season Wood would mercy rule them, one of the few years I can recall where most people in the state thought the 3A champ was the best

Central was nationally ranked but wasn't overly impressive that season, maybe they could've won the wpial or state with a few breaks but I never thought they were an amazing team

2021 they got mercy ruled in the final, i can't think of them as one of the best to not win, I think the 2019 Central team is underrated

i don't know wasn't there that weird thing with a field goal Wood kicked in that game, and the referees claimed they couldn't see where the ball went?

I think if they replayed that game at the end of the season Wood would mercy rule them, one of the few years I can recall where most people in the state thought the 3A champ was the best

Central was nationally ranked but wasn't overly impressive that season, maybe they could've won the wpial or state with a few breaks but I never thought they were an amazing team

2021 they got mercy ruled in the final, i can't think of them as one of the best to not win, I think the 2019 Central team is underrated
2019 Central was very good, although that season was like Rock-Paper-Scissors between the 3 top teams

NA beat Central, Central beat Pine, Pine beat NA

PCC almost beat a very injured SJP team in the semis

2019 Central was very good, although that season was like Rock-Paper-Scissors between the 3 top teams

NA beat Central, Central beat Pine, Pine beat NA

PCC almost beat a very injured SJP team in the semis
I forgot they lost to NA, seems like NA always finds a way to beat them in the regular season and then Central wins in the playoffs, with last year being the exception

an injured SJP will still beat most teams

Why do you think Archbishop Wood would mercy rule PCC?

Why do you think Archbishop Wood would mercy rule PCC?
because they got significantly better as that season went on, while CC did not

like I said it was the one year where it seemed to be the popular opinion where the AAA champ was considered to be the best team in the state

Reactions: lilromeo
because they got significantly better as that season went on, while CC did not

like I said it was the one year where it seemed to be the popular opinion where the AAA champ was considered to be the best team in the state
Its funny that the refs said they didnt see where the ball went when on tv it showed the kick was good. Wood should have won that game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT