ADVERTISEMENT

Wood

I wonder if Wood being forced to play up at 6A had any part in the decision? Of course no one will admit it, but Wood is returning a lot of talent. They would have been one of the favorites at 5A. Like the entire state, they have no shot in 6A.

In 2 years Wood will be 4A, maybe 3A.
They may start another run in 2022.
Regardless if coach left or not, they’re not beating Prep this year.
Kyle was at Wood 4 years, 2 DC and 2 head coach. Won 3 state titles.
What else is there to accomplish?
His college coach asks him to join staff,
It’s a no brainer. I wish the kid good luck.
Plenski and Armstrong on Wood staff, maybe one of them takes over.

In 2 years Wood will be 4A, maybe 3A.
They may start another run in 2022.
Regardless if coach left or not, they’re not beating Prep this year.
Kyle was at Wood 4 years, 2 DC and 2 head coach. Won 3 state titles.
What else is there to accomplish?
His college coach asks him to join staff,
It’s a no brainer. I wish the kid good luck.
Plenski and Armstrong on Wood staff, maybe one of them takes over.
That is a valid point, no doubt but getting out of District 12, 6A will be more difficult

Reactions: Bighead75
Mediocre DIII school is not a great move unless a job is available. Taking hatboro coaching position with Job is much better especially for a young coach.

I heard about a month ago that Carey was interested in coming back for a head coaching job but would he take a job knowing that he would have to go through SJP before Hershey? If Wood stayed at 5A it would of been a much more attractive opportunity.

Any thoughts on Schmidt applying?

Kit, has SJP officially become the evil empire? If a coach as revered as Carey declines a job because they might have to face Prep in the playoffs, what message does that send? I said before it could play a factor. How about the 90 public schools in 6a? Everyone in D1 better be happy just winning a D1 Title.

It was mentioned in the Tep thread below that Schmidt might be going back as an assistant.

Relayed,
History shows us, that since 2005, District One has only won 2 state playoff games. They have lost numerous games to District’s 3, 11, and 12. So it’s not like they’re losing to just The Prep.

I have no horse in the race , but are there other candidates that have won a state championship? If not , then that alone makes him pretty special

Let's be honest the schools that take the most hit on roster creation are in District 12 - the other neighborhood public schools.

High school coaches aren't flocking to see the pop warner/middle school teams in Montco/Bucks/Delco like they are in Philadelphia. Check out an Aztec, NW Raiders, Blackhawk, Lawncrest Lions game and you will see Imhotep, WC, Bonner, Roman, Prep, Wood, McDevitt, Northeast, Neumann-Goretti even Inter Ac schools on any given day. Schools like Frankford, GW, Bartram, South Philly, Olney have no shot at keeping their top players in the neighborhood. The schools in the suburbs may lose a few players but the top tier talent is coming out of Philadelphia.

Say if you do live in Montgomery County & if you were a good player why on earth would you want to play football at those suburban schools if your parents are willing to pay for LaSalle, Wood, Penn Charter, or GA?

Matt Walp, a 3 year assistant gets the Wood job. At least Devlin rose up the ranks with 6 years under his belt at SJP, learning from a task master in Gil Brooks.

Last edited:
Matt Walp, a 3 year assistant gets the Wood job. At least Devlin rose up the ranks with with 6 years under his belt at SJP, learning from a task master in Gil Brooks.
Any other information on Walp ? Not sure what to make of the hire.

With the shutdown, it almost had to be an in-house candidate if they want to compete in the Fall.
Yeah taking on a head job this season is a real challenge! Being an in house coach is almost a necessity otherwise you will not know any of your players / staff or school admin. The kid Lux at Interboro has a rough road, I guess if D-Rock stays it will help him. Its rough enough being a positional coach at a new school under these restrictions. Zoom has its use, but to not even be able to sit down with staff face to face is even more challenging. I guess you can get together outside somewhere and space out as a staff...... stay safe and keep the hope alive!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT