ADVERTISEMENT

What happened to Arch Bishop Wood

Just an observation - we have all these threads debating whether SJP has insurmountable advantages, and the consensus seems to be “it’s harder than it looks!” And now this is a solid page of notes around SJP not liking their current quarterback situation for 2024 and actively looking at other programs varsity starters to fill that void. This is why I find it more and more pointless to follow state level high school football. It’s just stupid.

Time to move SJP to Inter-Ac or let them go play a multiple state schedule. This started talking about how Wood was struggling and now it's about the "best team in the state" wanting to get richer. If SJP doesn't like their QB's maybe they should look at QB coach, and coach them up instead of stealing others kids.

Time to move SJP to Inter-Ac or let them go play a multiple state schedule. This started talking about how Wood was struggling and now it's about the "best team in the state" wanting to get richer. If SJP doesn't like their QB's maybe they should look at QB coach, and coach them up instead of stealing others kids.
Totally agree that schools shouldn't be actively pursuing/poaching/tampering kids playing for other programs. Are there currently rules in place to punish this type of activity?

It’s absurd Rover. It’s the worst kept secret in SEPA that they are aggressively pursuing GA’s starting QB. Maybe it is just a sign of the times (see the collegiate ranks), but I find it quite sad at the high school level.
That’s not true. GA qb went to prep in the summer and wanted to enroll. Pcl would not allow them to operate that way. They’re also one of a few schools who don’t take senior transfers. Just like we believe they are a power house so does these parents. We lost our best linemen to them and they never said anything to him until he showed up to that school. That’s why Prete told parents to back off. If he’s not there now it’s pointless bc he wouldn’t be eligible for playoffs.

Reactions: Bighead75
There’s only two people making decisions on kids at the Prep and if you don’t know who they’re you aren’t plugged in.

The preps QB Coach is Derrick Williams. Ben Haire is a volunteer. Runs around the 7 on 7 circuit. That’s about it. Selfless promoter. Tells people what they want to hear. Has NO say. Can’t believe parents pay him. But to each their own. There was no roundtable discussion and if there was, he wouldn't have a seat.

GA QB was pursuing the Prep not the other way around. Kids parents weren't happy with GA during the summer and made a knee jerk reaction. Like many other players in the area have over the years. They can't deny a kid a tour or an application.

The prep isn’t a fit for everyone and you would be surprised by the number of prominent and A LOT less prominent players who inquire about transferring.

There's plenty of things to complain about when it comes to the prep. This just isn't it.

Reactions: roxychknpoxy
There’s only two people making decisions on kids at the Prep and if you don’t know who they’re you aren’t plugged in.

The preps QB Coach is Derrick Williams. Ben Haire is a volunteer. Runs around the 7 on 7 circuit. That’s about it. Selfless promoter. Tells people what they want to hear. Has NO say. Can’t believe parents pay him. But to each their own. There was no roundtable discussion and if there was, he wouldn't have a seat.

GA QB was pursuing the Prep not the other way around. Kids parents weren't happy with GA during the summer and made a knee jerk reaction. Like many other players in the area have over the years. They can't deny a kid a tour or an application.

The prep isn’t a fit for everyone and you would be surprised by the number of prominent and A LOT less prominent players who inquire about transferring.

There's plenty of things to complain about when it comes to the prep. This just isn't it.
I’m surprised they allow that kid around the program. He’s been banned from a few orgs around the city for pointless interactions with parents. What would a program be without the employees who act like managers.

Fair enough. I appreciate your insight. But to be fair about Ben, he does train Kyle McCord. His dad, Derek, is particular who he puts Kyle around and he works with Ben when he’s home. Used to be Simms but not anymore.

Also, Ben’s brother is there too. Had no idea he was an unpaid volunteer. Jeez.

Fair enough. I appreciate your insight. But to be fair about Ben, he does train Kyle McCord. His dad, Derek, is particular who he puts Kyle around and he works with Ben when he’s home. Used to be Simms but not anymore.

Also, Ben’s brother is there too. Had no idea he was an unpaid volunteer. Jeez.
I think we could count on one hand the amount of times Kyle has been home since leaving for Columbus. Simms is located in North Jersey. Sometimes the best ability is availability.

Hey I get it kids and parents want to play for a winner. SJP has a great rep for getting kids to the next level whether it is on the field or the classroom. All I was saying is that anyone can coach talent, and sometimes SJP gets the most talented kids. It is time to put the private or catholic schools in one bracket and the public schools in another, like NJ. Let the teams that have the same rules compete against each other. I would love to see the Inter-Ac play all the PCL teams.

Prep average margin of victory in the PCL is like 4 tds, and thats with backups playing half the game most of the time. What makes you think the inter-ac will be different and not cry foul in two years? malvern has been the only one consistently playing catholic league teams and its been mostly rock fights except for like 1 lasalle game

Hey I get it kids and parents want to play for a winner. SJP has a great rep for getting kids to the next level whether it is on the field or the classroom. All I was saying is that anyone can coach talent, and sometimes SJP gets the most talented kids. It is time to put the private or catholic schools in one bracket and the public schools in another, like NJ. Let the teams that have the same rules compete against each other. I would love to see the Inter-Ac play all the PCL teams.
Are the inter-ac allowed to have 5th year seniors? Can someone confirm this here.

Are the inter-ac allowed to have 5th year seniors? Can someone confirm this here.
Yes and No. They can't be post grad 5th year seniors but they can re-class Freshmen-Junior year and get the extra year of eligibility. Mainly happens from transfers coming in from different schools. Some schools frown upon (those who are at the bottom of the league every year) it but it is 100% allowed.

What is the incentive for the Inter-Ac to accept SJP as a member?
I don't think there would be an incentive for SJP to go to the Inter-Ac, there are no playoffs and only have a regular season title. I think if there was a separate public and private state champ then maybe it would be possible the Inter-Ac joins the PIAA. But every sport would have to go to the PIAA and since almost every Inter-AC sport already has a PIASA state tournament against other private schools then I highly doubt that would ever happen.

Bh75 -
Thanks for posting - you’re spot on - it all gets taken out of context - reality is that kids/parents are looking for more visibility now than ever - SJP has become a vacuum, it won’t last forever but the narrative that they are hand picking every kid for every position is utterly ridiculous

Near the heart of this thread and many others is a tension between how things are now and how they used to be, with many people expressing unease or serious annoyance / anger at how things are. I bet lots of those people are several decades beyond high-school age.

I'm probably older than the great majority on here and admit that the way hs football was in the last century has a real appeal. In the PCL we used to play nearly all league games on Sunday afternoons--imagine trying that today!--and players on one team usually knew many players on the opposing teams because they came from neighboring parishes or even the same parish. Several football players were also on the basketball team. Big linemen were anyone over 200 pounds. There were no weight rooms, and serious training for the season began in August. For nearly all of us, our last football game was the Thanksgiving game with our traditional rival. I have relatives in NE PA and can remember the great community support for hs teams like the Blakely Bears. Talk about Friday Night Lights. Also, there were no "national powers," no national or even state rankings, and certainly no ESPN, streaming services, or HUDL--and no online forums!!

But Blakely High got amalgamated and the crowds at games in NE PA are nothing like what they were. From all I read and hear, the situation is much the same in most parts of the state. Changes in the college game have had a huge impact on hs teams and players. Colleges now make offers to kids in 8th grade--often--and kids sometimes (or their parents) begin marketing themselves, mainly through social media, even earlier. Transfers--and not just from public to private schools--are much more common. Catholic high schools that used to draw all their Catholic students from Catholic elementary schools have to accept lots of non-Catholic kids just to stay open and there are far fewer Catholic elementary schools. In some places--not just Philly--public high schools are not an attractive option--to say the least--for parents looking for a school that offers a strong athletic program, a good education, and a healthy/safe environment. (Of course, there are many places where the public high schools are fine.)

All this doesn't mean that everything should be allowed, but it does mean going back to how things were in 2003, 1993, or ... is really not possible.

I know: too much time on my hands. The perils of working only two days a week.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT