ADVERTISEMENT

What happened to Arch Bishop Wood

Wilson, Lincoln, EA, Dematha, and Cheltenham. I know that’s 5.

I wasn’t aware the game is in PA but why schedule it? Roman doesn’t have a bye week for that game?
I think what we can all agree on is that the PCL Red teams have a really hard time scheduling non-league games, especially after the first few weeks. The great majority of 5A and 6A schools in PA are entirely booked up with their own league games. The same applies to the Catholic schools in Jersey and the DC area. And the cost factors are real. When SJP played Gonzaga in DC last year in an early afternoon game, the team stayed in a hotel the night before. It wasn't luxury accommodation, but not every school can cover that cost.

The future also seems a bit murky. Do Wood and Judge stay in 5A? Even if just one drops to 4A, does the PCL keep a four-team Red Division, especially if one of the teams is almost always well ahead of the others and one is well below the other three? Maybe there will be more competitive balance among the four or five teams, but the way high school football is heading, it's hard to imagine even three really strong programs in the PCL Red. The situation could be more like in North Jersey or the DC area if it weren't for the Inter-Ac. Bringing just Malvern into the PCL would be a game-changer, but it isn't going to happen.

Sorry for rambling.

Reactions: Bighead75
I think what we can all agree on is that the PCL Red teams have a really hard time scheduling non-league games, especially after the first few weeks. The great majority of 5A and 6A schools in PA are entirely booked up with their own league games. The same applies to the Catholic schools in Jersey and the DC area. And the cost factors are real. When SJP played Gonzaga in DC last year in an early afternoon game, the team stayed in a hotel the night before. It wasn't luxury accommodation, but not every school can cover that cost.

The future also seems a bit murky. Do Wood and Judge stay in 5A? Even if just one drops to 4A, does the PCL keep a four-team Red Division, especially if one of the teams is almost always well ahead of the others and one is well below the other three? Maybe there will be more competitive balance among the four or five teams, but the way high school football is heading, it's hard to imagine even three really strong programs in the PCL Red. The situation could be more like in North Jersey or the DC area if it weren't for the Inter-Ac. Bringing just Malvern into the PCL would be a game-changer, but it isn't going to happen.

Sorry for rambling.
Hearing rumors of PCL realignment on the way.

Best guess is they try to even out the teams maybe pull up Ryan and Bonner.
I've heard the Wood coaching staff has been hitting the youth games hard around the area. It's not like they are packing it in - which is good. Obviously, they have a long way to go but they are selling the "play early" card to families.

I've heard the Wood coaching staff has been hitting the youth games hard around the area. It's not like they are packing it in - which is good. Obviously, they have a long way to go but they are selling the "play early" card to families.
It’s the right thing to do. I know they are excited about their freshman team and Armstrong has a lot of connections in the area. But their administration is rough.

Reactions: lilromeo
It’s the right thing to do. I know they are excited about their freshman team and Armstrong has a lot of connections in the area. But their administration is rough.
Armstrong is a good coach and has connections in CYO and local youth organizations, but doesn't seem to have the support or resources that the previous staffs had. The transfer rules do make it harder for them to win quickly, like in the past. Unless they get moved to 4A or a PCL total realignment, recruiting maybe tough when losing 62-0 to Prep or to public league teams like Washington and Northeast.

Reactions: lilromeo
I’ve complained about scheduling for years. North Jersey have and will come here for a home and home. DMV will also. I’ve seen Bergen at Tennet and Peters I’m DE this yr. They may not want to come in the city but they will come this way. I’m sure if they went to Wilmington, Upper Dublin shouldn’t be an issue. Crossover record means nothing but gets us ready for the PCL and playoffs. Ultimately it can be done but if they’re worried about record they have the wrong idea. Prep loss their first game for the last 3 years and ended up in Hershey (CV).

Best guess is they try to even out the teams maybe pull up Ryan and Bonner.
I watched the Bob Long telecast of the LaSalle/Wood game and Bob did say that Coach Armstrong advised that they would be moving down next year. Interested to see what school(s) come up.

Technically, none HAVE to come up or all 4A has to come up. Wood was choosing to play up in the Red division (and 5A), but as a 4A (presumably) they’ll need to play all the other 4A PCL schools to determine playoff seeding, advancement, etc. There is no commissioner with the power to set up the divisions. Rather, the principals will vote on league structure. Assuming all schools stay in the same classification (with AW dropping down to 4A), it will take a 4A school choosing to move up (or all of them) to make the Red division change from just Roman, SJP, LS and FJ.

If the above is the case, this puts the Red division in an even tougher spot schedule-wise. Those teams will be looking for non league games a week later in the year. The silver lining (especially for SJP) is the ability to continue to play a very strong non conference slate.

Reactions: RobberLucky
Not too sure if the move down will help them. Rumors are flying around about multiple freshman leaving after season to go back to their local public schools like Upper Moreland, Abington, Tennent, HH, and CB schools. I heard that the freshman class was a class Wood was looking to build around, however if half leave where does that put them. After getting blown out by Prep, Roman, and LaSalle, I would think it maybe tough to recruit and get people to pay to come to school there. And this is before a possible beat down by FJ this Friday which will end their season because of the bye week next week. When everyone else in the state will be wrapping up their regular season and some preparing for playoffs, the mighty Wood team and staff will all be done early. I don't think that is something many parents will not sign up for.

Not too sure if the move down will help them. Rumors are flying around about multiple freshman leaving after season to go back to their local public schools like Upper Moreland, Abington, Tennent, HH, and CB schools. I heard that the freshman class was a class Wood was looking to build around, however if half leave where does that put them. After getting blown out by Prep, Roman, and LaSalle, I would think it maybe tough to recruit and get people to pay to come to school there. And this is before a possible beat down by FJ this Friday which will end their season because of the bye week next week. When everyone else in the state will be wrapping up their regular season and some preparing for playoffs, the mighty Wood team and staff will all be done early. I don't think that is something many parents will not sign up for.
Won't Wood be playing Roman in the 5A PCL playoff--even though Wood will likely be winless in the PCL Red?

Yes. I believe they will have two “open” weeks before playing the 5A D12 public league champs. Speaking of that, if Imhotep makes a run to the state finals this year, will they be forced to move up to 6A? I am assuming they have surpassed the transfer threshold for this cycle.

Yes. I believe they will have two “open” weeks before playing the 5A D12 public league champs. Speaking of that, if Imhotep makes a run to the state finals this year, will they be forced to move up to 6A? I am assuming they have surpassed the transfer threshold for this cycle.
Actually, I've heard from a Roman parent that they are being forced to move up next year.

Tulla, what happened to RB Phillips ??
I have no information about him. I know he played against LaSalle but don't know if he played against Judge. West has been the #1 RB this season, but Phillips has been quite involved in all their games. Sanchez and Dyches have also had several carries. Lots of talented RBs.

I have no information about him. I know he played against LaSalle but don't know if he played against Judge. West has been the #1 RB this season, but Phillips has been quite involved in all their games. Sanchez and Dyches have also had several carries. Lots of talented RBs.
West is just the better option IMO. Power 5 guy with a college frame already as a junior. Run,catch and block at a very high level. Can run over you , by you and through you. Gave lasalle fits lining him up at different spots forcing their dbs to tackle in space.

Actually, I've heard from a Roman parent that they are being forced to move up next year.
With the success formula, Roman would need to be in the state title game to move up, unless there attendance has spiked. Which I don’t think it has.

With the success formula, Roman would need to be in the state title game to move up, unless there attendance has spiked. Which I don’t think it has.
I apologize for being unclear but I was referring to Tep. I heard from a parent on Roman's team that Tep is being forced to 6a. My bad.

Reactions: HSFB99
I apologize for being unclear but I was referring to Tep. I heard from a parent on Roman's team that Tep is being forced to 6a. My bad.
No problem I’m being told the same thing from those associated with Imhotep. D-12 would finally get the Imhotep VS St Joes Prep game, even though I think Lasalle can run the table next year.

No problem I’m being told the same thing from those associated with Imhotep. D-12 would finally get the Imhotep VS St Joes Prep game, even though I think Lasalle can run the table next year.
Interesting thoughts on LS. Why are you so bullish on them?

Some feel the 6a will now have parity with prep losing 28 seniors. I’m skeptical as well but I think next year everyone will need to coach. The talent as a whole will dip. Lasalle retains the most. Although I don’t think it’s much but they do bring back a bunch.
If you're going to catch Prep, next year is the year to do it. Word is they are actively pursuing a transfer qb. I won't want to name names or schools where the kids reside, but it's a poorly kept secret. They are not happy with what they have coming back. I'm sure a kid will show up there.

If you're going to catch Prep, next year is the year to do it. Word is they are actively pursuing a transfer qb. I won't want to name names or schools where the kids reside, but it's a poorly kept secret. They are not happy with what they have coming back. I'm sure a kid will show up there.
Kids show up to their school every year. That’s why it’s to early to call. I assumed after losing the class of McCord/Harrison/haggans/ cooper they would be down the next year but they still ended up in Hershey led by the now seniors. They know what it takes to build a power house over there and if we on the board think they’ll need to reload ,they’re already on it.

Not sure if it’s the same qb I know of but again him and his parents showed up to prep. They ultimately decided to stay put for the year bc he was able to gain varsity experience and enroll after the season.

Kids show up to their school every year. That’s why it’s to early to call. I assumed after losing the class of McCord/Harrison/haggans/ cooper they would be down the next year but they still ended up in Hershey led by the now seniors. They know what it takes to build a power house over there and if we on the board think they’ll need to reload ,they’re already on it.

Not sure if it’s the same qb I know of but again him and his parents showed up to prep. They ultimately decided to stay put for the year bc he was able to gain varsity experience and enroll after the season.
So they “got their guy” is what you’re saying?

So they “got their guy” is what you’re saying?
I think they have options. They are big on this freshmen that’s currently on varsity plus they have a potential sophomore from 2025 class that’s starting for another team in PA. Word is he didn’t want to sit a year behind Jones so opted to stay where he was for this season. 2025 class had a few good qbs in it. None chose sjp bc of potentially waiting 2 years to start. We got Beal, who was good as in Sjp until Prete brought on his trainer. Lasalle got Gavin who was also tied to Prep but backed off when Beal was their pick.
All in all I think they return more than what people expect. If lasalle can make up 30+ points in one year I’ll be here to see it.

I think you're referring to the Inter-ac kid (as am I). And the freshman playing for the Charter school. I think inter-ac is more realistic. Heard conflicting stuff on it lately, we'll see.

I actually heard Prep was divided on Beals and Sidwar. Ben Haire wanted Sidwar, the other qb guy wanted Beals and it was an even split regarding the rest of the staff. Sidwar wasn't interested in sitting two years so they moved on from Prep quickly. It wasn't anything to do with Beals. Billy Morris was recruiting Sidwar since 6th grade. It looks like it worked out for both.

Last edited:
Just got this text from a guy that said will be official on 11/11.

2024 PCL Red
Judge
OHara
Bonner
SJP
LS
Roman

2024 PCL Blue
Wood
Neumann
West
Ryan
Egan
Carroll
LC

I think you're referring to the Inter-ac kid (as am I). And the freshman playing for the Charter school. I think inter-ac is more realistic. Heard conflicting stuff on it lately, we'll see.

I actually heard Prep was divided on Beals and Sidwar. Ben Haire wanted Sidwar, the other qb guy wanted Beals and it was an even split regarding the rest of the staff. Sidwar wasn't interested in sitting two years so they moved on from Prep quickly. It wasn't anything to do with Beals. Billy Morris was recruiting Sidwar since 6th grade. It looks like it worked out for both.
I heard about the GA kid but I was referring from a kid in Jersey. Supposedly a dual threat similar to jones.

Just got this text from a guy that said will be official on 11/11.

2024 PCL Red
Judge
OHara
Bonner
SJP
LS
Roman

2024 PCL Blue
Wood
Neumann
West
Ryan
Egan
Carroll
LC
Yeah I heard this last week from a parent that Bonner will play all pcl red but couldn’t confirm. O’Hara is not ready and Bonner will struggle.

I think they have options. They are big on this freshmen that’s currently on varsity plus they have a potential sophomore from 2025 class that’s starting for another team in PA. Word is he didn’t want to sit a year behind Jones so opted to stay where he was for this season. 2025 class had a few good qbs in it. None chose sjp bc of potentially waiting 2 years to start. We got Beal, who was good as in Sjp until Prete brought on his trainer. Lasalle got Gavin who was also tied to Prep but backed off when Beal was their pick.
All in all I think they return more than what people expect. If lasalle can make up 30+ points in one year I’ll be here to see it.
The Prep freshman is Charlie Foulke IV, from Jersey. His Twitter account says he has offers from Georgia and several other bigtime programs. I have no idea how he's working out, whether he wants to stay, etc. But if they bring in a junior QB next year, won't he almost certainly be ineligible for the playoffs? I can't think of a Prep QB since Chris Whitney (2004-2006) who didn't come in as a freshman--and Whitney came as a sophomore only because his family moved from the midwest after his father died.

Hard to imagine LaSalle being better than SJP next year. Yes, SJP loses a lot but they will have West, Sacca, Smith, Haskell, Stewart, Leonard, Turner, Hardy, Amiano, and a bunch from a freshman team that's won all their games (including against LaSalle) by wide margins.

The Prep freshman is Charlie Foulke IV, from Jersey. His Twitter account says he has offers from Georgia and several other bigtime programs. I have no idea how he's working out, whether he wants to stay, etc. But if they bring in a junior QB next year, won't he almost certainly be ineligible for the playoffs? I can't think of a Prep QB since Chris Whitney (2004-2006) who didn't come in as a freshman--and Whitney came as a sophomore only because his family moved from the midwest after his father died.

Hard to imagine LaSalle being better than SJP next year. Yes, SJP loses a lot but they will have West, Sacca, Smith, Haskell, Stewart, Leonard, Turner, Hardy, Amiano, and a bunch from a freshman team that's won all their games (including against LaSalle) by wide margins.
They will add some more transfers too.

What has been relayed to me is they don't feel like they can play the schedule they play and win with the qb's they currently have on the roster after Jones. That's why it's been no secret that they've been actively pursuing kids. It's hard to have qb depth when you have a multi-year starter in place. Charlie was supposed to be next, but it's not looking like it's going to pan out that way.

• Haha
Reactions: Bighead75
What has been relayed to me is they don't feel like they can play the schedule they play and win with the qb's they currently have on the roster after Jones. That's why it's been no secret that they've been actively pursuing kids. It's hard to have qb depth when you have a multi-year starter in place. Charlie was supposed to be next, but it's not looking like it's going to pan out that way.
Still early on Charlie. Jones/McCord took over as sophomores so I think it’s up to him and how he takes this off season. Don’t have the wheels or athleticism of jones, so if that’s the reasoning I understand but outside of that I think he can take it if he wanted.

Still early on Charlie. Jones/McCord took over as sophomores so I think it’s up to him and how he takes this off season. Don’t have the wheels or athleticism of jones, so if that’s the reasoning I understand but outside of that I think he can take it if he wanted.
Would agree with this. It would be a major mistake for them to move on from him. They have at least one other freshman that is there because of him. Dad is very successful and as we all know, their real advantage is the money inside the program.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT