ADVERTISEMENT

St. Joseph's Prep 2020 vs. _________

Tulla, getting back late but I don't think Coatesville looked past Harrisburg in 2018. Coach Ortega is too good to allow that. But I do think it was a big surprise how much they improved since destroying them in the opener 37-6.
What Harrisburg did was to take away a lot of their game by spying Qb Ortega, denying him any running room. Andre White Jr (doing well at Tex AM) and company who was a super LB held him to 26 or so yards rushing. 27-24 is a nasty tight game for two offensive juggernauts featuring terrific hitting in a violent game that was not indicative of an "overlook". They were popping each other. Nice team, thought they'd do more against Hawks.
I'll try to get back to you in another post on FB being down in Dist 3.
Stalker,

Maybe my memory is wrong, but I think the Coatesvillle-Harrisburg game was played on a wet field that was probably a factor in some C'ville turnovers.

What I remember more clearly was the SJP-C'ville game in 2017. A couple of strange calls by C'ville were part of the reason SJP was able to come back.

Stalker,

Maybe my memory is wrong, but I think the Coatesvillle-Harrisburg game was played on a wet field that was probably a factor in some C'ville turnovers.

What I remember more clearly was the SJP-C'ville game in 2017. A couple of strange calls by C'ville were part of the reason SJP was able to come back.
I think district 1 best chance was the 2016 north Penn team. They had the talent, lead a lot of that game against sjp, and was in it all the way to the end. Plus Reece udinski was as good of a highschool qb as youre going to find.

Reactions: lilromeo
Stalker,

Cville-Burg was drizzling/misty at least late in game is all I recall but no deluge. They blur together after while! Cville had/has issues with penalties!

About 17, I don't recall those specifics, only that Prep turned on after falling behind. I'm trying to find my ranking/writeups for 17 but do recall they had on again-off again issues with penalties. And they showed some cracks on rush defense vs CV, DEast in at least one of their two games and G-Val. But....with an offense averaging 44ppg for 17 and 18, who's noticing cracks in the D! That is until you play someone exceptional like SJP.
Will get back on this if find 2017 info. Hid stuff from myself getting a new Dell last month !?

I think district 1 best chance was the 2016 north Penn team. They had the talent, lead a lot of that game against sjp, and was in it all the way to the end. Plus Reece udinski was as good of a highschool qb as youre going to find.
Best HS quarterbacks ... Interesting topic. The two best I saw when I was a kid were Tommy DeFelice at West Catholic and Billy Creeden at Egan. That was a long time ago and memory can distort. I'd say both Gordon and Loughery at LaSalle were very, very good. The latter was perfect for the Gordons' offense. I'd put Chris Whitney in the same class. Take away the goal line fumble in the game against LaSalle--just as you could take away Uninski's late-game fumble against SJP--and their HS careers would be seen in a somewhat different--and maybe--truer light. Here's a video from the game SJP played at Bosco that year that shows Whitney making some amazing plays: (Bosco won after two awful calls by the refs.) Then there's Kyle McCord ...

I realize I'm very PCL--esp. SJP--focused.

Best HS quarterbacks ... Interesting topic. The two best I saw when I was a kid were Tommy DeFelice at West Catholic and Billy Creeden at Egan. That was a long time ago and memory can distort. I'd say both Gordon and Loughery at LaSalle were very, very good. The latter was perfect for the Gordons' offense. I'd put Chris Whitney in the same class. Take away the goal line fumble in the game against LaSalle--just as you could take away Uninski's late-game fumble against SJP--and their HS careers would be seen in a somewhat different--and maybe--truer light. Here's a video from the game SJP played at Bosco that year that shows Whitney making some amazing plays: (Bosco won after two awful calls by the refs.) Then there's Kyle McCord ...

I realize I'm very PCL--esp. SJP--focused.
The kid looks like a stud and obviously everyone knows how good McCord is. I'm a western pa guy and grew up and graduated highschool here in the late 90's. The best QB's I've seen in my life time around here are Eric kasperovich north hills 93, Cecil Howard McKeesport 99, Tyler palko west Allegheny 2001, Anthony morelli Penn hills 2005, Dan kopalovich McKeesport 2005, tony sunceri Pittsburgh central Catholic 2007, Damion terry Erie cathedral prep 2012, Ben Duncci pine Richland 2014, joe mishler Erie cathedral prep 2017, and lastly and the best of the bunch imo is phil jurkoveck pine Richland 2017.

Reactions: new2pa and lilromeo
The kid looks like a stud and obviously everyone knows how good McCord is. I'm a western pa guy and grew up and graduated highschool here in the late 90's. The best QB's I've seen in my life time around here are Eric kasperovich north hills 93, Cecil Howard McKeesport 99, Tyler palko west Allegheny 2001, Anthony morelli Penn hills 2005, Dan kopalovich McKeesport 2005, tony sunceri Pittsburgh central Catholic 2007, Damion terry Erie cathedral prep 2012, Ben Duncci pine Richland 2014, joe mishler Erie cathedral prep 2017, and lastly and the best of the bunch imo is phil jurkoveck pine Richland 2017.
I forgot Mac leftwich of north Allegheny 2012, Brady walker gateway 2017 and Terrell Pryor Jennette 2007.

Last edited:
Good pick. 2016 was the last time in almost a decade they played anywhere NEAR championship defense, allowing 16ppg year end with a huge "O" at 40ppg. Best statistically before that mark was 2011....!....at 14ppg, going 13-3 losing to you know who in the final. Rams!

Good pick. 2016 was the last time in almost a decade they played anywhere NEAR championship defense, allowing 16ppg year end with a huge "O" at 40ppg. Best statistically before that mark was 2011....!....at 14ppg, going 13-3 losing to you know who in the final. Rams!
Stalker what do you contribute to district one being down? I figured it was the splitting of some of those schools like cb west and Downingtown and the Catholic schools poaching their players. District 1 is a shell of what it use to be. It wasnt only one of the best leagues in the state but the country as well.

Stalker what do you contribute to district one being down? I figured it was the splitting of some of those schools like cb west and Downingtown and the Catholic schools poaching their players. District 1 is a shell of what it use to be. It wasnt only one of the best leagues in the state but the country as well.
I think there are a number of reasons. And I honestly don't know about poaching without getting in a conversation on recruiting. I hear it and sympathize with it but think it's like bitching about the rain. Take it indoors, get an umbrella and realize it's part of the process.

About a district being down, coaches coming and going is a great influence, and your mention of Dtown and CB West being split up. Rustin too, and back not a lifetime ago Penn Wood and Academy Park came to be.
**** One of the more significant influences is demographics. People move. Spg-Fd and Perk Val have good coaches for certain AND........a heck of a lot more material than 15 maybe 10 years ago.
Also, you might consider balancing it out knowing that while CB West, Upper Darby, Conestoga, Pennsbury, Neshy (recently), Interboro, even S Haven (all historic winners) have dropped in stature, Haverford, Springfield, Academy Park, Upper Dublin, and the PAC schools have prospered or ascended. Coatesville is now a terror under Ortega, DEast and West are more than holding their own. NPenn just needs the D tweaked. Neshaminy has been puzzling to me for years! Pennridge returned to the fold this year.
Key point; Realistically, NPenn, Pennridge, Neshaminy and Pennsbury have carried the water for years. But because they're not what everyone things they should be doesn't mean the district is down. SOL ok, but not the district.
I think an area being down is distorted if you just look at the name programs and not give other schools credit for lifting their game. Some "name" teams have declined while others have taken their place.

True and very good points. They still produce great football programs over there and there are programs that have gotten better but you don't have the power houses like you saw in the 90's and 2000's like the Downingtowns, the central bucks west, and the neshimany's. People moving is a big factor. I know in the Pittsburgh area you see the population growing north of the city creating the great programs like your north Allegheny's and your pine Richlands.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stalker
I think there are a number of reasons. And I honestly don't know about poaching without getting in a conversation on recruiting. I hear it and sympathize with it but think it's like bitching about the rain. Take it indoors, get an umbrella and realize it's part of the process.

About a district being down, coaches coming and going is a great influence, and your mention of Dtown and CB West being split up. Rustin too, and back not a lifetime ago Penn Wood and Academy Park came to be.
**** One of the more significant influences is demographics. People move. Spg-Fd and Perk Val have good coaches for certain AND........a heck of a lot more material than 15 maybe 10 years ago.
Also, you might consider balancing it out knowing that while CB West, Upper Darby, Conestoga, Pennsbury, Neshy (recently), Interboro, even S Haven (all historic winners) have dropped in stature, Haverford, Springfield, Academy Park, Upper Dublin, and the PAC schools have prospered or ascended. Coatesville is now a terror under Ortega, DEast and West are more than holding their own. NPenn just needs the D tweaked. Neshaminy has been puzzling to me for years! Pennridge returned to the fold this year.
Key point; Realistically, NPenn, Pennridge, Neshaminy and Pennsbury have carried the water for years. But because they're not what everyone things they should be doesn't mean the district is down. SOL ok, but not the district.
I think an area being down is distorted if you just look at the name programs and not give other schools credit for lifting their game. Some "name" teams have declined while others have taken their place.
You have to include the Inter -Ac schools drawing key players away from District 1 Pubs and the PCL. Those teams are generally under rated ,but produce some outstanding athletes .

You have to include the Inter -Ac schools drawing key players away from District 1 Pubs and the PCL. Those teams are generally under rated ,but produce some outstanding athletes .
Correct, and don't forget a great education from those schools.

Im hearing north Penn should be pretty good this year and I know pennridge is returning picciotti who is getting a lot of d1 offers including Pitt and pennstate. Who will be the favorite out of district one this year. Coatsville is always good as well and I don't know how much souderton lost to graduation.

Im hearing north Penn should be pretty good this year and I know pennridge is returning picciotti who is getting a lot of d1 offers including Pitt and pennstate. Who will be the favorite out of district one this year. Coatsville is always good as well and I don't know how much souderton lost to graduation.
Hausmann1978. I did this at the end of last season as follow up to the 2020 Review-2021 Preview where I reviewed all of District-1's teams. Let me know if not seen and I'll open it again. Doing a lot of traveling since end of season so I'm sure others can add to or update.

District One: 2021 Pre-Preseason Top 10
Here’s a best guesstimate keying on the Review 2020-Preview 2021 piece recently done that was based on last year’s personnel and results. Who knows how the new starters work out. Neshaminy, Pennridge and others may replace last year’s severe grad losses with better players! Souderton may find a quarterback as productive as Evan Kutzler. Plus, there will always be a surprise or two and that’s the fun of it. Anyway, I thought I should crank out a Preseason Top 10 to follow up the Review-Preview. Don’t forget to use the review-preview post for more detail. Scroll down….posted Feb 26, 2021.

1 North Penn 4-1 6A, (95-28, 48-10, 25-6)….10 year, 5 year, 3 year won-loss.
It’s easy being misled by NP’s finish, winning their last four by an average score of 48-19….if you forget those wins came against 5-19 teams; Pennsbury 0-5, CB West 2-4, CB East 1-5, CB South 2-5. And you can’t forget the season opening 35-19 blowout by Neshaminy that exposed real D issues with diminutive Chris James (5-7, 160) running for 149 yards. With the D tested only once and failing, this looks like the priority issue in the off season, plus the O-line. They came up well short of making the playoffs this year seeded 6th at 128 (#4 Coatesville 150) and may use as extra incentive this year. Previously, they hadn’t missed the playoffs since 2012. For this year they have what looks like the best offensive core in the district returning QB Ryan Zeltt (6-3, 185, jr, 34/62, 650, 9Tds, 55%, minus Pennsbury stats), RB Khalani Eaton (5-11, 210, sr. 1038ry, 14 Tds) and wide out Levi Carroll (6-3, 195, sr.).
2 Garnet Valley 6-0 6A, (98-21, 52-8, 29-3)
The Jags are no longer 3 yards and a cloud of monofilament having upped their game recently by developing a passing attack, averaging 100 yards a game last year (737yds) after averaging 49.5 yards per game the previous 5 years. Last year’s 15-19 combined won loss schedule was less than challenging. Still, they won all their games by an average score of 49-9 including those with winning records where they drupped Marple Newtown (5-1) 52-30 and Haverford (4-2) 39-8. And they come in super-hot off their Central League title game win against Marple, a six game winning streak and a pile of returning starters. They open 2021 at Downingtown West. And with Downingtown East playing Pennridge, State College (D6) and Delaware Valley (D2) in September….and Perkiomen Valley also getting September action against Coatesville, Downingtown West, Manheim Central (D3) and Spring Ford. We’ll know a lot about the power structure in D1 and beyond by mid-season.
3 Coatesville 4-1 6A (111-18, 52-9, 28-5)
The thing to remember about Coatesville is they came within 3 points of beating a good, veteran, 7-1 Pennridge team….on the road….with a much younger group. Scary thinking what they could mature into. But there is work to do with the Rams pounding out 506 total yards (210 rushing) to the Red Raider’s 216. Plus they’ll play both Downingtown East and West on the road. It will be a workout with many opponents returning good numbers and in most cases they all return a quarterback. Many teams in the Ches Mont are mirror images of one another (returning starters and a Qb), suggesting an entertaining season with a few upsets. Last year’s team was about a powerful running game and defense. If they can keep those strength and upgrade the passing attack they’ll be hard to stop. Note: Aug 21 scrimmage at Wilson-West Lawn.
4 Downingtown West 2-2 6A (72-34, 35-17, 26-6)
Opens with back-to-back homers vs Garnet Valley Aug 27th then Haverford School before Perk Val and Penn Wood away, West Chester East home, Kennett away, Coatesville home, Shanahan away then closing at home against Downingtown East and Avon Grove. Getting G-Val and Coatesville home helps but Perkiomen Valley even Kennett and Shanahan (letdowns?) could be challenging, especially Perk Val. There is a lot of work to do if they hope to hang with Garnet Valley in the opener knowing they allowed Coatesville 310 rushing and Downingtown East 289. But they return a now veteran line backing corps of Nahsir Harris (6-0, 185, sr), Josh Barron (5-10, 195, sr), Ryan Waters (6-0, 210, sr) and Will Mahmud (6-1, 220, sr). The DL looks good with NT Heath Williams (5-11, 250, sr) and DT Cooper Young (6-5, 285, jr) back. Super high recruit Drew Shelton (6-6, 280, sr) transferred to IMG. But for a change they have plenty of size. I believe the secondary returns four starters or co-starters; Josh Barry, Elijah Ford, Jake Kucera and Sam Kester, giving them a stacked defense. At 13ppg allowed last year, they were tough in the red zone. They’ll need that against G-Val who wastes few scoring opportunities.
5 Downingtown East 2-3 6A (83-28, 40-13, 21-8)
East has a difficult schedule opening at Pennridge then State College at a site to be determined. But both Pennridge and State High are rebuilding while the Cougars return much of last year’s team looking to atone for their first losing season since 2013. Actually the schedule is accommodating with 5 of their first 7 games (SC?) at home. Many look like 50-50 games including the two opening games followed by Delaware Valley, Bishop Shanahan, Rustin and Unionville (all home), then Academy Park away. Avon Grove and Downingtown West are home then Coatesville on the road to close it out. No fun playing Coatesville following the rivalry game with D-West. But they have a lot of bodies back on both sides to show improvement and make the Ches Mont-National at least a three horse race with Shanahan there to pick off any stragglers.
6 Perkiomen Valley 6-2 6A (85-28, 43-12, 21-9)
From Review-Preview: They return one of the top quarterbacks in the area in Ethan Kohler (6-2, 195, sr, Mercury 1st team), who, if I did the math right from online articles completed 100 of 156 passes (64%) for 1537 yards with a 17 to 1 Td-Pick ratio. As a reminder, his 2019 stats were 2259 yards, 59%, 21/7 Td-Pick ratio. Returning an excellent quarterback combined with other returns could see them with one of their best teams. 92% (894) of their rushing yards returns and 53% (802) of their receiver yards. They have numerous lineman coming up from the junior class with great size. The schedule is brutal opening on the road at Penn Wood before taking on Coatesville, then Downingtown West, Manheim Central (!) and Spring Ford consecutively….at home. Manheim Central projects as one of the 5A favorites in D3 and will be a severe test as PAC mate Spring Ford discovered last year with another district three power when a less than special Cumberland Valley (3-5) team battled hard in a 20-14 loss. Spring Ford of course will be a war, then Norristown away, OJR home, Boyertown away, Methacton home and a PAC-crossover game (TBD) at home for Senior Night Oct 29th.
7 Upper Dublin 6-2 5A (87-27, 40-15, 23-15)
One look at Upper Dublin’s records above tells you you’re looking at the Rodney Dangerfield of District -1 football. Talk about a team that gets no respect! All they’ve done is win district titles three of the last six years. And they’ve garnered more wins in the district the last 10 years than Downingtown East (83), Downingtown West (72), Neshaminy (82) and all others except G-Val, Coatesville, Academy Park and North Penn. In 2015 (4A, largest class) they beat Garnet Valley 35-3, Upper Darby 45-14, Pennsbury 24-14 then North Penn in the final 42-21. In 2018 they defeated Unionville 40-7 and Rustin 35-28 in the 5A title game. Last year saw them beat Kennett by forfeit before winning another 5A title vs Rustin 29-8. 5A looks like a crowded field with the Cardinals sitting pretty with so many returning players and maybe some attitude losing to Covid-19 last year, denying them a trip to the PIAA 5A semifinal against Cathedral Prep.
8 Spring Ford 6-1 6A (86-27, 37-15, 22-7)
The Rams return enough pieces to challenge for their 3rd consecutive PAC title and more although the defense doesn’t look to be as strong as last year’s record setting group that allowed 10ppg. DL/E’s Don Nicoline (6-2, 210, sr, 1St Team PAC) and Gavin Shafer (6-1, 205, sr) are back with top tackler LB Ryan Horvath (5-9, 175, sr, 1st Team PAC). Look for impact from last year’s sophomores Will Fish (5-9, 180), Ryan Wilson (6-0, 180) and Zach Zollers (6-1, 190), all linebackers who Coach Brubaker is high on. All got time. Last year’s defense was big and hit hard, separated from the district final by a 27-24 loss to Souderton. The offense returns good numbers plus the quarterback and OTs Ian Harvie (6-0, 250, sr, 1st Team PAC) and John Kaputa (6-2, 280, sr). Wilson is not on the schedule this year but they get Perkiomen Valley on the road. Plus, Boyertown and OJR return veteran teams that could surprise.
9 Souderton 7-1 6A (51-51. 28-22, 19-10)
Defending district champ Souderton returns a good core on both sides of the ball and will be a tough out if they fill the quarterback slot. But they’ll get two of their toughest conference opponents on the road having played both Quakertown and Upper Dublin in Souderton last year. With good numbers returning, especially LBs Nick Curroto (5-11, 195, sr, 2nd Team OL/LB), Luke Pollack (5-11, 205, sr, 1st Team), CBs Shaun Purvy (5-10, 155, sr, 1st Team) and Elijah Goods (5-9, 150, sr, 2nd Team), the D should improve from last year’s that allowed 19ppg while defeating Qtown 28-23, Upper Dublin 28-7 at home and both Spring Ford 27-24 and Pennridge 31-17 on the road. That is….if they get reasonable production from the quarterback position. Lineman Adam Alfonsi (6-1, 265, sr) and Gabe Epps (6-3, 230, sr, 1st Team) are back. All offense, skill returns in RB Brayden Porter (612ry, 1st Team), WRs Shaun Purvy (283py), Bob Kyle (195py, 2nd Team), Sean McGoldrick (101ry, 53py) and OL Sean Barrera (5-7, 230). All except quarterback Evan Kutzler (62%, 718py, 6/1 ratio, 2nd Team) return. Solid stats for a first year starter following the graduation of 3 year starter (co in 2017) Andrew Vince, so it’s a concern,
10 Quakertown 5-3 6A (63-52, 30-25, 16-15)
Really strange putting these guys here until you review last year’s stats and scores to see what a decent team they were….with many of last year’s parts back in the fold. Remember, their losses were competitive losses, losing to Souderton (7-1) in the opener 28-23 (Q leading 17-12 at ½), Perk Val (6-2) 35-28, PV scoring 21 unanswered pts, and the 91st Thanksgiving Day annual toss-up with Pennridge (7-1) 21-14 where the Rams scored 14 4th quarter points for the win. And, they were a young group last year in a lot of positions their skill people including quarterback Will Steich (5-11, 160, sr, 56%, 1135, 16/2, 1st Team Continental) and RB/CB Tyler Woodman (5-9, 175, sr, 69/430, 1st Team) and Zach Fondl (6-0, 180, sr, 22/330, 2nd Team). OL/DL Fred Retter (6-2, 235, sr) and OL Anthony Schiller (6-2, 260, sr) return to the lines with LB Kaden Roesener (5-11, 195, sr, 51 tackles), LB/DB Tyler Woodman (28 tackles), LB Dylan Harrison (6-3, 175, sr, 17 tackles) also back. They look to be able to survive graduations with enough coming back. And if QB Steich picks up where he left off!

Others:
Neshaminy 5-1 6A
(82-33, 39-13, 18-10)….10 year, 5 year, 3 year won-loss.
Tough 2021 schedule; Wood and Souderton at home, Pennridge, North Penn, Quakertown, Abington away. Roll Tribe!
Central Bucks West 2-4 6A (50-52, 26-23, 16-12)
Beaucoup bodies back but lots of work being outscored by Pennridge, North Penn and Neshaminy 109-49.
Pennridge 7-1 6A (74-44, 32-24, 15-15)
Big grad losses but have some parts and not likely to go away quietly. Return a lot of experience to the D, LBs McGowan, Picciotti and OL/DLs Reutlinger and Fish.
Upper Moreland 5-2 4A (59-53, 29-25, 14-16)
Lost by one point to 10-1 Oil City in 4A semifinal with essentially the same players back. Dual threat Byron Hopkins (21/33/312py, 35-133ry) and Cameryn Jackson (35/385ry) will keep them in many games.
OJR 3-3 6A (48-64, 32-19, 16-11)
Almost everyone returns, (graduate 8 seniors) including 1st Team PAC running back Avrey Grimm (5-9, 160, sr, 667ry) and 2nd teamers DL Jon Havrilak and LB Aston Shrum. Last year’s monster soph lineman Austin Ramsey (6-6, 320!) is also back.
but get Spring Ford and Perk Val on the road.
Rustin 4-2 5A (75-31, 35-20, 23-9)
Only 12 seniors last year plus return Dayshawn Jacobs (5-9, 180, jr) who rushed for 258 yards vs Wissahickon with 5 tds, ending with 677ry and 857 total.
Ridley 3-3 6A (76-36, 35-19, 17-13)
Have some impressive skill returning and some serious graduations but a more favorable home schedule.
Haverford 5-2 6A (83-33, 41-16, 25-8)
Started off 4-0 last year with a nice core returning.
Strath Haven 5-1 5A (53-54, 29-23, 19-10)
Average score last year was 43-17 with a young D and most of that team returning including entire OL.
Springfield (D) 4-3 5A (78-36, 39-18, 14-15)
Two 3-point losses hurt. But big numbers return with a talented QB in Jake Fama, 6-1, 160, 698, 69%.
Academy Park (95-30, 53-13, 27-10)
Little info on Knights (spring ball) but history (see above) says they’ll be a factor.

Under the radar?
Upper Merion 2-3 5A
(29-75, 17-33, 13-14)
Finished with a flourish winning last 2 and return most of the offense headed by QB Nolan Clayton (6-5, 210, jr) and a slew of last year’s sophomores and juniors now a year older.
Don’t laugh, Bourbonic won the Kentucky Derby prep Wood Memorial at the Big A last week at 72-1!
Boyertown 2-5 6A (40-62, 14-34, 6-21)
Like Vikings above, won last 2 games beating Pottstown 33-6 and bitter rival Pottsgrove 20-9 after a 0-5 start for great momentum entering 2021. Many return plus last year’s freshman QB Ryder Gehris who got his first start game 6 vs Pottstown.
Plymouth Whitemarsh 2-3 5A (61-37, 21-24, 12-13)
Big losses at TE/DE Dylan Duran (6-1, 230), OL/DT Jack Hildebrand (5-11, 230), OL Dan Kahley (6-0, 240), but LB corps returns in RB/LB Nate Kern, QB/LB Chris McLaughlin, RB/LB Aiden O’Brien with most other skill pieces from last year.
Bishop Shanahan 4-0 4A (54-46, 30-20, 15-12)
Return most of last year’s team including QB Cooper Jordan, most of the skill plus lineman Dylan Jones (6-3, 275, sr), Mark Majasic (5-9, 250, sr), Lenny Kresefski (6-5, 225, sr), Jack Lyons (6-0, 225, sr) and Anthony Cipriano (6-0, 215, sr).

Hausmann1978. I did this at the end of last season as follow up to the 2020 Review-2021 Preview where I reviewed all of District-1's teams. Let me know if not seen and I'll open it again. Doing a lot of traveling since end of season so I'm sure others can add to or update.

District One: 2021 Pre-Preseason Top 10
Here’s a best guesstimate keying on the Review 2020-Preview 2021 piece recently done that was based on last year’s personnel and results. Who knows how the new starters work out. Neshaminy, Pennridge and others may replace last year’s severe grad losses with better players! Souderton may find a quarterback as productive as Evan Kutzler. Plus, there will always be a surprise or two and that’s the fun of it. Anyway, I thought I should crank out a Preseason Top 10 to follow up the Review-Preview. Don’t forget to use the review-preview post for more detail. Scroll down….posted Feb 26, 2021.

1 North Penn 4-1 6A, (95-28, 48-10, 25-6)….10 year, 5 year, 3 year won-loss.
It’s easy being misled by NP’s finish, winning their last four by an average score of 48-19….if you forget those wins came against 5-19 teams; Pennsbury 0-5, CB West 2-4, CB East 1-5, CB South 2-5. And you can’t forget the season opening 35-19 blowout by Neshaminy that exposed real D issues with diminutive Chris James (5-7, 160) running for 149 yards. With the D tested only once and failing, this looks like the priority issue in the off season, plus the O-line. They came up well short of making the playoffs this year seeded 6th at 128 (#4 Coatesville 150) and may use as extra incentive this year. Previously, they hadn’t missed the playoffs since 2012. For this year they have what looks like the best offensive core in the district returning QB Ryan Zeltt (6-3, 185, jr, 34/62, 650, 9Tds, 55%, minus Pennsbury stats), RB Khalani Eaton (5-11, 210, sr. 1038ry, 14 Tds) and wide out Levi Carroll (6-3, 195, sr.).
2 Garnet Valley 6-0 6A, (98-21, 52-8, 29-3)
The Jags are no longer 3 yards and a cloud of monofilament having upped their game recently by developing a passing attack, averaging 100 yards a game last year (737yds) after averaging 49.5 yards per game the previous 5 years. Last year’s 15-19 combined won loss schedule was less than challenging. Still, they won all their games by an average score of 49-9 including those with winning records where they drupped Marple Newtown (5-1) 52-30 and Haverford (4-2) 39-8. And they come in super-hot off their Central League title game win against Marple, a six game winning streak and a pile of returning starters. They open 2021 at Downingtown West. And with Downingtown East playing Pennridge, State College (D6) and Delaware Valley (D2) in September….and Perkiomen Valley also getting September action against Coatesville, Downingtown West, Manheim Central (D3) and Spring Ford. We’ll know a lot about the power structure in D1 and beyond by mid-season.
3 Coatesville 4-1 6A (111-18, 52-9, 28-5)
The thing to remember about Coatesville is they came within 3 points of beating a good, veteran, 7-1 Pennridge team….on the road….with a much younger group. Scary thinking what they could mature into. But there is work to do with the Rams pounding out 506 total yards (210 rushing) to the Red Raider’s 216. Plus they’ll play both Downingtown East and West on the road. It will be a workout with many opponents returning good numbers and in most cases they all return a quarterback. Many teams in the Ches Mont are mirror images of one another (returning starters and a Qb), suggesting an entertaining season with a few upsets. Last year’s team was about a powerful running game and defense. If they can keep those strength and upgrade the passing attack they’ll be hard to stop. Note: Aug 21 scrimmage at Wilson-West Lawn.
4 Downingtown West 2-2 6A (72-34, 35-17, 26-6)
Opens with back-to-back homers vs Garnet Valley Aug 27th then Haverford School before Perk Val and Penn Wood away, West Chester East home, Kennett away, Coatesville home, Shanahan away then closing at home against Downingtown East and Avon Grove. Getting G-Val and Coatesville home helps but Perkiomen Valley even Kennett and Shanahan (letdowns?) could be challenging, especially Perk Val. There is a lot of work to do if they hope to hang with Garnet Valley in the opener knowing they allowed Coatesville 310 rushing and Downingtown East 289. But they return a now veteran line backing corps of Nahsir Harris (6-0, 185, sr), Josh Barron (5-10, 195, sr), Ryan Waters (6-0, 210, sr) and Will Mahmud (6-1, 220, sr). The DL looks good with NT Heath Williams (5-11, 250, sr) and DT Cooper Young (6-5, 285, jr) back. Super high recruit Drew Shelton (6-6, 280, sr) transferred to IMG. But for a change they have plenty of size. I believe the secondary returns four starters or co-starters; Josh Barry, Elijah Ford, Jake Kucera and Sam Kester, giving them a stacked defense. At 13ppg allowed last year, they were tough in the red zone. They’ll need that against G-Val who wastes few scoring opportunities.
5 Downingtown East 2-3 6A (83-28, 40-13, 21-8)
East has a difficult schedule opening at Pennridge then State College at a site to be determined. But both Pennridge and State High are rebuilding while the Cougars return much of last year’s team looking to atone for their first losing season since 2013. Actually the schedule is accommodating with 5 of their first 7 games (SC?) at home. Many look like 50-50 games including the two opening games followed by Delaware Valley, Bishop Shanahan, Rustin and Unionville (all home), then Academy Park away. Avon Grove and Downingtown West are home then Coatesville on the road to close it out. No fun playing Coatesville following the rivalry game with D-West. But they have a lot of bodies back on both sides to show improvement and make the Ches Mont-National at least a three horse race with Shanahan there to pick off any stragglers.
6 Perkiomen Valley 6-2 6A (85-28, 43-12, 21-9)
From Review-Preview: They return one of the top quarterbacks in the area in Ethan Kohler (6-2, 195, sr, Mercury 1st team), who, if I did the math right from online articles completed 100 of 156 passes (64%) for 1537 yards with a 17 to 1 Td-Pick ratio. As a reminder, his 2019 stats were 2259 yards, 59%, 21/7 Td-Pick ratio. Returning an excellent quarterback combined with other returns could see them with one of their best teams. 92% (894) of their rushing yards returns and 53% (802) of their receiver yards. They have numerous lineman coming up from the junior class with great size. The schedule is brutal opening on the road at Penn Wood before taking on Coatesville, then Downingtown West, Manheim Central (!) and Spring Ford consecutively….at home. Manheim Central projects as one of the 5A favorites in D3 and will be a severe test as PAC mate Spring Ford discovered last year with another district three power when a less than special Cumberland Valley (3-5) team battled hard in a 20-14 loss. Spring Ford of course will be a war, then Norristown away, OJR home, Boyertown away, Methacton home and a PAC-crossover game (TBD) at home for Senior Night Oct 29th.
7 Upper Dublin 6-2 5A (87-27, 40-15, 23-15)
One look at Upper Dublin’s records above tells you you’re looking at the Rodney Dangerfield of District -1 football. Talk about a team that gets no respect! All they’ve done is win district titles three of the last six years. And they’ve garnered more wins in the district the last 10 years than Downingtown East (83), Downingtown West (72), Neshaminy (82) and all others except G-Val, Coatesville, Academy Park and North Penn. In 2015 (4A, largest class) they beat Garnet Valley 35-3, Upper Darby 45-14, Pennsbury 24-14 then North Penn in the final 42-21. In 2018 they defeated Unionville 40-7 and Rustin 35-28 in the 5A title game. Last year saw them beat Kennett by forfeit before winning another 5A title vs Rustin 29-8. 5A looks like a crowded field with the Cardinals sitting pretty with so many returning players and maybe some attitude losing to Covid-19 last year, denying them a trip to the PIAA 5A semifinal against Cathedral Prep.
8 Spring Ford 6-1 6A (86-27, 37-15, 22-7)
The Rams return enough pieces to challenge for their 3rd consecutive PAC title and more although the defense doesn’t look to be as strong as last year’s record setting group that allowed 10ppg. DL/E’s Don Nicoline (6-2, 210, sr, 1St Team PAC) and Gavin Shafer (6-1, 205, sr) are back with top tackler LB Ryan Horvath (5-9, 175, sr, 1st Team PAC). Look for impact from last year’s sophomores Will Fish (5-9, 180), Ryan Wilson (6-0, 180) and Zach Zollers (6-1, 190), all linebackers who Coach Brubaker is high on. All got time. Last year’s defense was big and hit hard, separated from the district final by a 27-24 loss to Souderton. The offense returns good numbers plus the quarterback and OTs Ian Harvie (6-0, 250, sr, 1st Team PAC) and John Kaputa (6-2, 280, sr). Wilson is not on the schedule this year but they get Perkiomen Valley on the road. Plus, Boyertown and OJR return veteran teams that could surprise.
9 Souderton 7-1 6A (51-51. 28-22, 19-10)
Defending district champ Souderton returns a good core on both sides of the ball and will be a tough out if they fill the quarterback slot. But they’ll get two of their toughest conference opponents on the road having played both Quakertown and Upper Dublin in Souderton last year. With good numbers returning, especially LBs Nick Curroto (5-11, 195, sr, 2nd Team OL/LB), Luke Pollack (5-11, 205, sr, 1st Team), CBs Shaun Purvy (5-10, 155, sr, 1st Team) and Elijah Goods (5-9, 150, sr, 2nd Team), the D should improve from last year’s that allowed 19ppg while defeating Qtown 28-23, Upper Dublin 28-7 at home and both Spring Ford 27-24 and Pennridge 31-17 on the road. That is….if they get reasonable production from the quarterback position. Lineman Adam Alfonsi (6-1, 265, sr) and Gabe Epps (6-3, 230, sr, 1st Team) are back. All offense, skill returns in RB Brayden Porter (612ry, 1st Team), WRs Shaun Purvy (283py), Bob Kyle (195py, 2nd Team), Sean McGoldrick (101ry, 53py) and OL Sean Barrera (5-7, 230). All except quarterback Evan Kutzler (62%, 718py, 6/1 ratio, 2nd Team) return. Solid stats for a first year starter following the graduation of 3 year starter (co in 2017) Andrew Vince, so it’s a concern,
10 Quakertown 5-3 6A (63-52, 30-25, 16-15)
Really strange putting these guys here until you review last year’s stats and scores to see what a decent team they were….with many of last year’s parts back in the fold. Remember, their losses were competitive losses, losing to Souderton (7-1) in the opener 28-23 (Q leading 17-12 at ½), Perk Val (6-2) 35-28, PV scoring 21 unanswered pts, and the 91st Thanksgiving Day annual toss-up with Pennridge (7-1) 21-14 where the Rams scored 14 4th quarter points for the win. And, they were a young group last year in a lot of positions their skill people including quarterback Will Steich (5-11, 160, sr, 56%, 1135, 16/2, 1st Team Continental) and RB/CB Tyler Woodman (5-9, 175, sr, 69/430, 1st Team) and Zach Fondl (6-0, 180, sr, 22/330, 2nd Team). OL/DL Fred Retter (6-2, 235, sr) and OL Anthony Schiller (6-2, 260, sr) return to the lines with LB Kaden Roesener (5-11, 195, sr, 51 tackles), LB/DB Tyler Woodman (28 tackles), LB Dylan Harrison (6-3, 175, sr, 17 tackles) also back. They look to be able to survive graduations with enough coming back. And if QB Steich picks up where he left off!

Others:
Neshaminy 5-1 6A
(82-33, 39-13, 18-10)….10 year, 5 year, 3 year won-loss.
Tough 2021 schedule; Wood and Souderton at home, Pennridge, North Penn, Quakertown, Abington away. Roll Tribe!
Central Bucks West 2-4 6A (50-52, 26-23, 16-12)
Beaucoup bodies back but lots of work being outscored by Pennridge, North Penn and Neshaminy 109-49.
Pennridge 7-1 6A (74-44, 32-24, 15-15)
Big grad losses but have some parts and not likely to go away quietly. Return a lot of experience to the D, LBs McGowan, Picciotti and OL/DLs Reutlinger and Fish.
Upper Moreland 5-2 4A (59-53, 29-25, 14-16)
Lost by one point to 10-1 Oil City in 4A semifinal with essentially the same players back. Dual threat Byron Hopkins (21/33/312py, 35-133ry) and Cameryn Jackson (35/385ry) will keep them in many games.
OJR 3-3 6A (48-64, 32-19, 16-11)
Almost everyone returns, (graduate 8 seniors) including 1st Team PAC running back Avrey Grimm (5-9, 160, sr, 667ry) and 2nd teamers DL Jon Havrilak and LB Aston Shrum. Last year’s monster soph lineman Austin Ramsey (6-6, 320!) is also back.
but get Spring Ford and Perk Val on the road.
Rustin 4-2 5A (75-31, 35-20, 23-9)
Only 12 seniors last year plus return Dayshawn Jacobs (5-9, 180, jr) who rushed for 258 yards vs Wissahickon with 5 tds, ending with 677ry and 857 total.
Ridley 3-3 6A (76-36, 35-19, 17-13)
Have some impressive skill returning and some serious graduations but a more favorable home schedule.
Haverford 5-2 6A (83-33, 41-16, 25-8)
Started off 4-0 last year with a nice core returning.
Strath Haven 5-1 5A (53-54, 29-23, 19-10)
Average score last year was 43-17 with a young D and most of that team returning including entire OL.
Springfield (D) 4-3 5A (78-36, 39-18, 14-15)
Two 3-point losses hurt. But big numbers return with a talented QB in Jake Fama, 6-1, 160, 698, 69%.
Academy Park (95-30, 53-13, 27-10)
Little info on Knights (spring ball) but history (see above) says they’ll be a factor.

Under the radar?
Upper Merion 2-3 5A
(29-75, 17-33, 13-14)
Finished with a flourish winning last 2 and return most of the offense headed by QB Nolan Clayton (6-5, 210, jr) and a slew of last year’s sophomores and juniors now a year older.
Don’t laugh, Bourbonic won the Kentucky Derby prep Wood Memorial at the Big A last week at 72-1!
Boyertown 2-5 6A (40-62, 14-34, 6-21)
Like Vikings above, won last 2 games beating Pottstown 33-6 and bitter rival Pottsgrove 20-9 after a 0-5 start for great momentum entering 2021. Many return plus last year’s freshman QB Ryder Gehris who got his first start game 6 vs Pottstown.
Plymouth Whitemarsh 2-3 5A (61-37, 21-24, 12-13)
Big losses at TE/DE Dylan Duran (6-1, 230), OL/DT Jack Hildebrand (5-11, 230), OL Dan Kahley (6-0, 240), but LB corps returns in RB/LB Nate Kern, QB/LB Chris McLaughlin, RB/LB Aiden O’Brien with most other skill pieces from last year.
Bishop Shanahan 4-0 4A (54-46, 30-20, 15-12)
Return most of last year’s team including QB Cooper Jordan, most of the skill plus lineman Dylan Jones (6-3, 275, sr), Mark Majasic (5-9, 250, sr), Lenny Kresefski (6-5, 225, sr), Jack Lyons (6-0, 225, sr) and Anthony Cipriano (6-0, 215, sr).
Thanks and great review, it seems like all the major players are at the top again. I hope district 1 can get over the hump and make a run again. I'd love to see them back in the mix. North Penn has the facilities, numbers, and the right coach to do it.

Thanks and great review, it seems like all the major players are at the top again. I hope district 1 can get over the hump and make a run again. I'd love to see them back in the mix. North Penn has the facilities, numbers, and the right coach to do it.
Is there any school like the 2017 pine Richland team this year that'll be able to compete with sjp?

By my count, Arch Wood now has at least 6 players with division 1 offers. There is a case that they have the most talent in the PCL. They also have a bevy of really solid players without offers right now. Will it come together under the new staff in their second year? To me, that will decide their season.

By my count, Arch Wood now has at least 6 players with division 1 offers. There is a case that they have the most talent in the PCL. They also have a bevy of really solid players without offers right now. Will it come together under the new staff in their second year? To me, that will decide their season.
You're right that much will depend on coaching at Wood. Hard to imagine that their talent matches that at the Prep where I count 15 players (including Trotter, Nelson, Agard, James, Harris, Heard, and Chadha and not including any incoming freshmen) who have or are very likely to have D1 offers.

Reactions: Bighead75
Sorry tulla, I should have clarified outside of St. Joes Prep. I meant “best of the rest” of the PCL.

Reactions: Bighead75
They've had the numbers and coach... facilities, not so much. They practice in a mud pit next to the school and the stadium, while it might have sentimental value to some, was one of the worst facilities in the SOL. Changes starting this year are long overdue. Compare what they had to CB West and what's planned at East / South. They were well behind.

Well,I will take the very unpopular position that Wood will be a threat to the Prep .They do have at least 6 Division 1 players as mentioned and several other maybes . Its a big if with the coaching vs the Prep for sure . We should have a much better perspective on the Vikings after their first 2 games vs Neshaminy and a loaded Neuman/Goretti squad although Im not convinced about the coaching at NG .I agree with the improved teams at LaSalle and Roman. Going into this year IMO ,the PCL Red is the best in years. Cant wait to see how it plays out.

I think you’re right Romeo. I see it pretty similar. Arch Wood should be able to challenge St. Joes this year if the coaches can get their act together. Talent wise, I believe AW is closer to SJP than LS/RC.

I don’t know how telling the Neshaminy game will be. After reading Stalker’s preview, it appears the Skins are down this year after losing a lot to graduation. I believe he had them outside his top 10. NG has a load of talent but they are often very undisciplined, especially early in the year. We shall see.

You're right that much will depend on coaching at Wood. Hard to imagine that their talent matches that at the Prep where I count 15 players (including Trotter, Nelson, Agard, James, Harris, Heard, and Chadha and not including any incoming freshmen) who have or are very likely to have D1 offers.
I think you’re right Romeo. I see it pretty similar. Arch Wood should be able to challenge St. Joes this year if the coaches can get their act together. Talent wise, I believe AW is closer to SJP than LS/RC.

I don’t know how telling the Neshaminy game will be. After reading Stalker’s preview, it appears the Skins are down this year after losing a lot to graduation. I believe he had them outside his top 10. NG has a load of talent but they are often very undisciplined, especially early in the year. We shall see.
Wood seems like they have the best chance to challenge sjp but they've had some great talented teams in the past that couldn't compete with them. I don't see this year being any different.

Wood seems like they have the best chance to challenge sjp but they've had some great talented teams in the past that couldn't compete with them. I don't see this year being any different.
The Wood-Prep games have been hard to predict. A very good Wood team barely beat the worst Prep team of the century (2010, after Brooks left and before Infante really got started) and then embarrassed a better Prep team the next year. The Prep won quite close games in 2012--Wood should have won but they had fumble problems--2013 and 2014. I forget 2015, but Wood was in it till the end of the 3rd quarter in 2016. and 2017. They also gave the Prep a pretty good game in 2019--maybe McCord's weakest PCL game.

You never know how the new team comes together but Neshaminy's strong opportunity was last year with a decent team, season ending O at 34ppg, allowing 17 on D. The offense and defense was as good as some of their best teams (05, 10-2, 37-13; 07, 11-2, 35-14; 13, 13-2, 35-12).
Remember they crushed North Penn 35-19 in the opener, then disappeared against Pennridge 30-0, a game that sealed their fate with covid allowing no post season wiggle room. Thereon they rolled over Abington, CB West, Pennsbury, CB South by avg score of 42-14 with 2 shutouts. That was a nice team by year's end. 5-1 at what was realistically mid-season by game count is good stuff in a league/district as competitive as the SOL/D1.

The Wood-Prep games have been hard to predict. A very good Wood team barely beat the worst Prep team of the century (2010, after Brooks left and before Infante really got started) and then embarrassed a better Prep team the next year. The Prep won quite close games in 2012--Wood should have won but they had fumble problems--2013 and 2014. I forget 2015, but Wood was in it till the end of the 3rd quarter in 2016. and 2017. They also gave the Prep a pretty good game in 2019--maybe McCord's weakest PCL game.
[/QUOTE
You got to go back a decade for the last time wood beat sjp. Wood will be the second best team in the state but I seem to think prep will have their number again. They never have to rebuild or do not have down years. I think thier worst season in a decade was 2015 and had they not been upset by la salle they should of won it that year as well.

Stalk -

Good analysis on 'Skins last season. At 5-1 they were pretty good.

Maybe the explanation for the flat Pennridge game was too much ice cream after stopping North Penn in the opener (decisively - went to their heads??).

Then it was an odd year with Covid and everybody had the same set of cards so ...

Hard to get a grip on this year's team just yet. I'm hearing good enthusiasm (which is pretty much expected) with a few faces back but a bunch of new ones needed.

Opening with Wood will be a challenge for sure.

We'll see (and any insights I get will be passed along just haven't heard too much just yet).

PCC should be a factor also this year IMO. Lets see how they handle Tep .
They are and
PCC should be a factor also this year IMO. Lets see how they handle Tep .
They'll be big with a nasty defence. I mean they got a pair of Notre Dame recruits in Donavon Hinish and Anthony Speca. I think the big question is can they have any type of passing game this year.

Last edited:
Whoa Nelly! Wood will be the 2nd best team in the state? Wait til you check out McDevitt of Harrisburg.
All a moot point if they can't get past the gorilla in the district that even diminished will field a strong team. There's an understatement!
Wood's killer schedule will test them (depth!!) starting with 4 consecutive road games at Neshaminy, New-G, Chelt and Malvern Prep. Then the home opener vs St. John's of the WCAC....Roman and Judge before Hawks. Rb Curtis grad but senior Wyatt Hagan is a heads up QB for Cadets. Heck of a conference where even the sub .500 teams field explosive offenses.

Whoa Nelly! Wood will be the 2nd best team in the state? Wait til you check out McDevitt of Harrisburg.
All a moot point if they can't get past the gorilla in the district that even diminished will field a strong team. There's an understatement!
Wood's killer schedule will test them (depth!!) starting with 4 consecutive road games at Neshaminy, New-G, Chelt and Malvern Prep. Then the home opener vs St. John's of the WCAC....Roman and Judge before Hawks. Rb Curtis grad but senior Wyatt Hagan is a heads up QB for Cadets. Heck of a conference where even the sub .500 teams field explosive offenses.
The McD/LaSalle game should be an indicator of McD s strength vs a solid team. I know they are loaded ,but I wouldnt underestimate the Explores in this one.

Reactions: Stalker
Hausmann: About PCC passing game - Pine-Richland's longtime QB Coach (Jochem) is at PCC working with their QB's and WR's. Pretty sure you will see them open things up a bit.

The McD/LaSalle game should be an indicator of McD s strength vs a solid team. I know they are loaded ,but I wouldnt underestimate the Explores in this one.
It's all about McDevitt filling the Qb spot. Last year's team like Harrisburg's was the one! The bright guys always get it a year late....especially HBurg and Pine that would have been super special last year. This year, I doubt it.

But LaSalle-McD should be a war regardless of filling the Qb position.

Hausmann: About PCC passing game - Pine-Richland's longtime QB Coach (Jochem) is at PCC working with their QB's and WR's. Pretty sure you will see them open things up a bit.
He's a great coach and that's a great pick up for pcc. If they update there offence they can be scary. That's all they've been missing. They have been really one dimensional in the past.

It's all about McDevitt filling the Qb spot. Last year's team like Harrisburg's was the one! The bright guys always get it a year late....especially HBurg and Pine that would have been super special last year. This year, I doubt it.

But LaSalle-McD should be a war regardless of filling the Qb position.
Abdul Carter committed to Penn State yesterday. A LB 6` 3- 230 lbs 4.5 40. He can really hit . Sam Brown RB going to Rutgers. LaSalle has some players for sure.

Does Chada have any offers ? Does he ever miss ?? lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT