ADVERTISEMENT

St. Joe's Prep vs. Wood

Man, I have a hard time seeing how AW stays within 17 of SJP. Prep just too big and athletic. I'm hoping for a good game to represent the area well on ESPN3. I think that you will see Webb and especially Swift with huge games.

Man, I have a hard time seeing how AW stays within 17 of SJP. Prep just too big and athletic. I'm hoping for a good game to represent the area well on ESPN3. I think that you will see Webb and especially Swift with huge games.

Someone made a comment in earlier post that SJP will be playing downhill for the rest of the season. Wood might be the first in a line of "Game over by halftime!". Where's the game being played??

Maybe, but Wood will have had two weeks to prepare for this game, the Prep less than a week. I still expect the Prep to win.

Maybe, but Wood will have had two weeks to prepare for this game, the Prep less than a week. I still expect the Prep to win.

At the HS level this doesn't matter if one team is a clear favorite.

Barring unreasonable weather or multiple injuries to multiple skill kids, then I'm not sure SJP is kept under 35 points moving forward. They took their foot off the pedal vs Bosco.

The pep IMO has the edge here , Wood could surprise if their QB can complete the long pass to Webb which didn't happen against Bergan Catholic.Their running game was clicking and I thought they should have stuck with it more The Prep appears to loaded on both sides of the ball. They certainly looked great against Don Bosco. I hope they get the center snap thing fixed. They looked inept there. This should be a very good game, with a huge crowd .

At the HS level this doesn't matter if one team is a clear favorite.

Barring unreasonable weather or multiple injuries to multiple skill kids, then I'm not sure SJP is kept under 35 points moving forward. They took their foot off the pedal vs Bosco.

Totally agree with Huck on this. The rest of the PCL will be hard pressed to hold Prep under 35 points. If Wood keeps the margin of defeat below 20 points, consider it an upset.

Totally agree with Huck on this. The rest of the PCL will be hard pressed to hold Prep under 35 points. If Wood keeps the margin of defeat below 20 points, consider it an upset.
From what I read on here about the Wood-Bergen Catholic game, it was very close until the middle of the 4th quarter. From what I heard about the BC-SJP scrimmage this year and from the results of the first couple of weeks of the season, it would appear BC and SJP are at about the same level. So ... maybe a prediction of an SJP win by at least three touchdowns is a stretch.

I realize the shortcomings of saying because Team A beat Team B by x points and Team B beat Team C by y points, Team A will beat Team C by x+y points. But there's reason to think, based on both Wood's and SJP's performances to date, that there's a good chance it'll be at least reasonably close.

Reactions: lilromeo
I suspect this will be close and SJP may be somewhat limited on a personnel basis. It's not a given for SJP.

From what I read on here about the Wood-Bergen Catholic game, it was very close until the middle of the 4th quarter. From what I heard about the BC-SJP scrimmage this year and from the results of the first couple of weeks of the season, it would appear BC and SJP are at about the same level. So ... maybe a prediction of an SJP win by at least three touchdowns is a stretch.

I realize the shortcomings of saying because Team A beat Team B by x points and Team B beat Team C by y points, Team A will beat Team C by x+y points. But there's reason to think, based on both Wood's and SJP's performances to date, that there's a good chance it'll be at least reasonably close.
Tulla, my Bergen and Bosco sources indicated that Bergen would be down a little this year and that they were young. My guess is that Bosco beats Bergen later this year. As for Wood & Prep, the line should probably be SJP -20.

nj and Roxy, As I remember there was a terrible spot that gave Bosco a first down and either a defensive holding or pass interference call that was really bad. What has time made me forget or misremember?

There were three things that I recall and I believe they all occured in 4th qtr with prep in the lead.
1) a spot for DBP that advanced them 2 yds for a first down on a 3rd and 9 play when they only got 7 yds
2) a 35 yd pass that clearly hit the ground via the naked eye and bounced into the DBP hands and called a reception.
3) the fumble recovery by SJP on their own 2 that was deemed 'down' by field judge and DBP player lost ball as he entered LOS
This was the most agregious home field play calling I've ever seen. The game was televised and one of the commentators is heard making a comment a games end that the game was taken from the visitors.

There were three things that I recall and I believe they all occured in 4th qtr with prep in the lead.
1) a spot for DBP that advanced them 2 yds for a first down on a 3rd and 9 play when they only got 7 yds
2) a 35 yd pass that clearly hit the ground via the naked eye and bounced into the DBP hands and called a reception.
3) the fumble recovery by SJP on their own 2 that was deemed 'down' by field judge and DBP player lost ball as he entered LOS
This was the most agregious home field play calling I've ever seen. The game was televised and one of the commentators is heard making a comment a games end that the game was taken from the visitors.
Roxy,

Don't know if you've ever seen this, but if not it's really worth a look:

who is not playing for Prep. heard they have some injuries. heading to Souderton/ pennridge game. Anyone want to tailgate meet us at the Perk. I'll be the one wearing the green Eagles hat. Go Rams !

Glad I decided to watch from home. One hour and 40 minutes for the first half.

Not to pat myself on the back but I picked St. Joe in the other post 42-24 depending on injuries. I'd say that's pretty good. Sloppy game though. Too many penalties!!

Last edited:
Not to pat myself on the back but I picked St. Joe in the other post 42-24 depending on injuries. I'd say that's pretty good. Sloppy game though. Both teams need to clean their act up!
Congratulations, Paul. I agree about the sloppiness. All the overthrown passes in the first half make me think McCray might have been too hyped/nervous. Maybe something similar for the Wood QB. The many breaks made for too little flow to the game. The refs also seemed a bit lost at times

The Prep TD before the half was huge--obviously, and clearly McCray was much more composed in the second half. Great to see Waller have another great game. Lots of things to work on. I'm thinking it's probably better for Swift to sit out next week. Some sprains--I'm assuming he's got an ankle sprain--are worse than breaks.

Roxy,

Don't know if you've ever seen this, but if not it's really worth a look:

Tulla -
Thanks for sharing. Everyone should watch this clip of one game. It's a highlight reel for the season for most. DBP was beat that game period. It was stolen from SJP, plain and simple. And Simms Apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

As far as the Prep Wood game. Well, it was a full moon. The game was awful for both teams. I was there and could get into specifics but it may take 4 hours just like the game itself, so I'll just leave this two cents right here. Granted it's great to have a win over a solid team but there's a lot of work to be done. There's Carroll and the bye so hopefully lots of rest for all. With all due respect to Carroll, this next game will be down hill, even with non starters.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT