ADVERTISEMENT

PCL Guys

D1 Transplant

Dec 7, 2014
I see LaSalle is looking for a new head coach. I'm not surprised they're moving on, but have a question for those in the know. Is there a preferred candidate? From the outside looking in, it looks like an effort to improve the team, and to close the gap with St Joe's. I remember board members on past post saying that the powers to be in the school weren't interested in an arms race with St Joe's. Perhaps some push back from alumni? All just speculation on my part, but would be interested in how all this came about.

I see LaSalle is looking for a new head coach. I'm not surprised they're moving on, but have a question for those in the know. Is there a preferred candidate? From the outside looking in, it looks like an effort to improve the team, and to close the gap with St Joe's. I remember board members on past post saying that the powers to be in the school weren't interested in an arms race with St Joe's. Perhaps some push back from alumni? All just speculation on my part, but would be interested in how all this came about.
The job is posted and the posting closes 12/15. Yes, I think there is a leader in the race but LaSalle put a committee together specifically for this hire. It’s a big job which can attract big applicants.

All your speculation is accurate.

Reactions: lilromeo
Does anyone know who are the candidates? Or who the leader is? Who is on the committee?

I am hearing that Rory Grover from Wiss could be in the running along with Gordon. I wonder if either are true or if Lasalle even knows the direction they want to take?

Could this be the divide that this area needs to put football back in its proper place. I think pulling either coordinators from the prep would be great for lasalle. Would they invest in football the same way?
I think LaSalle moving on from Steinmetz demonstrates they are aware they are falling behind as it pertain to Prep (obviously) but also Roman and MP. Losing to Roman they way they did was an eye opener I hear.

So I think LaSalle will get more aggressive, but will it match the commitment that a certain Prep coach would need to accept it? Not sure and doubtful.

Regardless, it doesn’t change the fact that the favorite in the race is who you alluded to but it’s an attractive position.

Could this be the divide that this area needs to put football back in its proper place. I think pulling either coordinators from the prep would be great for lasalle. Would they invest in football the same way?
No way they would, that ship has sailed a few years ago.

Lots of rumors swirling, have heard that Gordon has been reaching out to other alumni to try to gain support. Which if true tells me he's not the slam dunk that he was thought to be. Although most of the time when we post things about new coaches on here, we get it totally wrong, so we'll see. I'm sure they want to hire soon to not lose any time.

Reactions: RobberLucky
Lots of rumors swirling, have heard that Gordon has been reaching out to other alumni to try to gain support. Which if true tells me he's not the slam dunk that he was thought to be. Although most of the time when we post things about new coaches on here, we get it totally wrong, so we'll see. I'm sure they want to hire soon to not lose any time.
True but, there is another head coach opening in the area that could hurt LaSalle efforts.

What SJP coach would be applying? I can’t imagine LaSalle would select Grover over Gordon.

What SJP coach would be applying? I can’t imagine LaSalle would select Grover over Gordon.
I’ve heard Sugden. I have no idea if it’s true, if he applied, or intended to apply? No insight there.

I think he’d be a great candidate and a great hire. But this is Gordon’s job.

And I think that’s going to be a major upgrade for LaSalle.

I’m sure he’d be great. I’d be surprised to see him leave SJP. I agree it seems to be Gordon’s job, but I haven’t really heard any other names.

Lots of rumors swirling that a Prep coach has interest too.
If they don’t get the same exact support that they get at Prep it isn’t going to matter what school they come from. They will be 2nd and 3rd fiddle. Coaching is good at the Prep but the support is the main distinction they have.

I haven’t coached in many years. Since I was in Lehigh Valley. For the last 10 years I wouldn’t consider germantown academy a powerhouse by any means but they have beautiful facilities and resources. My question would be what is the commitment to bring kids in. If those stars align with the right coach and a commitment to bring in some non traditional kids, they could challenge for the I-A title every year. I’m sure they could pay a coach well enough.

I have to think it's Gordon. History and the future. Didn't Pettine Jr. take over for the old man?? John Steinmetz was a hellava coach. For a really long time. But I guess being a defensive coach to begin with sort of took the spot light off the offense. That was Drew Gordon's claim to fame. His offensive mind brought La Salle from the stone age Collistra years to the nuclear age!! And if Brett is the choice, that catches propects' eyes!!!

I have to think it's Gordon. History and the future. Didn't Pettine Jr. take over for the old man?? John Steinmetz was a hellava coach. For a really long time. But I guess being a defensive coach to begin with sort of took the spot light off the offense. That was Drew Gordon's claim to fame. His offensive mind brought La Salle from the stone age Collistra years to the nuclear age!! And if Brett is the choice, that catches propects' eyes!!!
No, Pettine Jr stayed at North Penn until he made the jump to the NFL in 2002. Mike Carey replaced Pettine for one year followed by Randy Cuthbert.

I just heard Roken to Duke with Manny Diaz.
That is interesting. Infante went to temple because of Diaz who barely stayed 2 weeks. Infante had a few years at temple and the ended up at PSU because of Diaz. I suspect Infante makes the move to Duke in a more prominent position. Roken obviously has connection to Infante and consequently Diaz. Roken is alo engaged to a local TV news personality, so it wouldn’t be a solo decision. We’ll see.

Whoever takes the Lasalle job is gonna have some serious work ahead of them. I remember a few people on here talking about the parent issues, player- coach arguments on the sideline, and the quarterbacks dad posting things on facebook about the last staff etc.

If it’s Gordon I guess the real goal is to compete by the time his son is playing in a couple years. Could mean more Facebook posts in the meantime

Whoever takes the Lasalle job is gonna have some serious work ahead of them. I remember a few people on here talking about the parent issues, player- coach arguments on the sideline, and the quarterbacks dad posting things on facebook about the last staff etc.

If it’s Gordon I guess the real goal is to compete by the time his son is playing in a couple years. Could mean more Facebook posts in the meantime
Yea that qb’s dad caused way more fuss than he needed. It’ll be a job that faculty and parents can’t expect instant success. I don’t see them beating sjp or Roman next year and that’s due to the gap they allowed the last 2 years far as talent.

Yea that qb’s dad caused way more fuss than he needed. It’ll be a job that faculty and parents can’t expect instant success. I don’t see them beating sjp or Roman next year and that’s due to the gap they allowed the last 2 years far as talent.
I agree. Will need to rebuild a culture first that doesn’t tolerate a lot of that stuff. It’s always the 7v7 parents…

Will the QB even be eligible his senior year (2025 season) since he "redshirted" after his 8th grade year?

I would think so I don’t think anyone would jeopardize not playing a year of hs but I could be wrong. Was he already in hs when that rule went into effect ?
I think you're right, rule against the 8th grade redshirt is new so he's not affected.

If they have similar issues as they’ve had so far (2 coordinators in two seasons and social media drama) it might not matter if he’s eligible or not. Gordon knows what he’s doing. Won’t be hostage to anyone. He’s won with guys like John Harrison and Drew Loughery. I don’t think he cares about offers

Charlie Foulke reclassed. Xavier Stern reclassed. Aiden Presti left South and reclassed.
Yes, looked at it further and the rule is new in 2023 for the current sixth graders. Won’t be happening going forward, but it only relates to PIAA teams, so someone like Presti at Pennington wouldn’t be affected. They’ll still have the route to reclassify and go to the true prep schools.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT