ADVERTISEMENT

Springfield 31 vs Haverford 17 FINAL Springfield Central League Champs

Observations from this one. Springfield did great job finding a way on a night where they didn’t have their best. Haverford with four fumbles and an interception gave Springfield three very short fields to score tds and they capitalized. Congrats to them on winning 3 tough road games in row. They will be tough out in 5a.

Haverford should be kicking themselves this morning as for much of this one they had the better of the play. A fumbled kickoff and snap over head of the punter were costly special team gaffes. Their defense played well. As it has all season a lack of contain on pass rush created key 3rd down conversions. Give Springfield credit. On go ahead touchdown they got great information from booth, correctly identified a 7 dback scheme that is a blitz with man to man behind it, ran a guy in motion that had a dback sprinting across the field and caught Haverford. That was nice call. Little lucky cause blitz got there and ball underthrown but great scheme. Haverford run d did nice job and were aided by 13 being ejected. The amount of undisciplined penalties Haverford takes is ridiculous. One to two personal fouls, delay of games. Gotta get corrected.

Offensively Haverford can be puzzling. The absolute refusal to ever get under center hurts them. Especially short yardage, goal line or coming out of own end zone. Need another package to compliment shotgun.

In the spread offense the QB has to be a good in between the tackles runner for it to really hum. Their kid is tremendous athlete and QB but he isn’t suited to that. They correctly employed that tactic last night but he isn’t comfortable doing that and fumbled etc.

They need to do better job of identifying in game matchups in their passing game up top. Springfield tilted the safety towards 18. You have a 6-4 kid on other side with a 5-9 kid covering him. Give him three four shots to make a play over the top. Some weeks they do great at this. Marple etc. Very few teams can match with all their receivers. Springfield played them with 6 in box instead of 5 they have be seeing.

Not one team in the league will kick to 10. He’s the most feared player in the league. When the other team does everything in their power so he doesn’t touch it, you gotta figure out a way to get it to him creatively. He’s a QB. Get him some wildcat snaps. Get him some rb snaps. Run him on underneath drags and digs. Not just jets and dumps. If they won’t kick to him let’s see what teams do when he goes in straight motion. In fairness he’s been banged up. I’d like to find out if teams play five in the box if he takes the snaps. I highly doubt it.

They have some super skill kids. Got few games left together. Let 18 run jet occasionally, let 10 take snaps, give 1 some shots, let 17 run the sneak under center etc. Make defenses adjust. Too often they have been too defendable because they haven’t been multiple enough in scheme and personnel. Time is short but with some self scout this team can be even better than what they have shown.

Great observations Gang. Excited to see how the playoffs shake out! This is my favorite time of the year!!

While I think things are a little bit down this year there are going to be some very entertaining games over next month. Love to see some staggering of game times but we know that won’t happen. My dream scenario for district one would be some type of Saturday double header at largest neutral hs venue possible and make it an event for hs football fanatics. Pipe dream. If you have ever been to wpial at Heinz it’s a day of days.

While I think things are a little bit down this year there are going to be some very entertaining games over next month. Love to see some staggering of game times but we know that won’t happen. My dream scenario for district one would be some type of Saturday double header at largest neutral hs venue possible and make it an event for hs football fanatics. Pipe dream. If you have ever been to wpial at Heinz it’s a day of days.
Eastern PA are cheap. Linc or PPL (old name) would be nice

5A Springfield beat: GV the 6A 3 seed, Haverford the 6A 11 seed, and Ridley the 6A 16 seed.

A very good 5a team. Solid everywhere. However for those who thought Wood was “down” think a lot of those notions went out the window last night. Springfield has had great year. Kudos to kids and staff. Love to see them win the district.

Observations from this one. Springfield did great job finding a way on a night where they didn’t have their best. Haverford with four fumbles and an interception gave Springfield three very short fields to score tds and they capitalized. Congrats to them on winning 3 tough road games in row. They will be tough out in 5a.

Haverford should be kicking themselves this morning as for much of this one they had the better of the play. A fumbled kickoff and snap over head of the punter were costly special team gaffes. Their defense played well. As it has all season a lack of contain on pass rush created key 3rd down conversions. Give Springfield credit. On go ahead touchdown they got great information from booth, correctly identified a 7 dback scheme that is a blitz with man to man behind it, ran a guy in motion that had a dback sprinting across the field and caught Haverford. That was nice call. Little lucky cause blitz got there and ball underthrown but great scheme. Haverford run d did nice job and were aided by 13 being ejected. The amount of undisciplined penalties Haverford takes is ridiculous. One to two personal fouls, delay of games. Gotta get corrected.

Offensively Haverford can be puzzling. The absolute refusal to ever get under center hurts them. Especially short yardage, goal line or coming out of own end zone. Need another package to compliment shotgun.

In the spread offense the QB has to be a good in between the tackles runner for it to really hum. Their kid is tremendous athlete and QB but he isn’t suited to that. They correctly employed that tactic last night but he isn’t comfortable doing that and fumbled etc.

They need to do better job of identifying in game matchups in their passing game up top. Springfield tilted the safety towards 18. You have a 6-4 kid on other side with a 5-9 kid covering him. Give him three four shots to make a play over the top. Some weeks they do great at this. Marple etc. Very few teams can match with all their receivers. Springfield played them with 6 in box instead of 5 they have be seeing.

Not one team in the league will kick to 10. He’s the most feared player in the league. When the other team does everything in their power so he doesn’t touch it, you gotta figure out a way to get it to him creatively. He’s a QB. Get him some wildcat snaps. Get him some rb snaps. Run him on underneath drags and digs. Not just jets and dumps. If they won’t kick to him let’s see what teams do when he goes in straight motion. In fairness he’s been banged up. I’d like to find out if teams play five in the box if he takes the snaps. I highly doubt it.

They have some super skill kids. Got few games left together. Let 18 run jet occasionally, let 10 take snaps, give 1 some shots, let 17 run the sneak under center etc. Make defenses adjust. Too often they have been too defendable because they haven’t been multiple enough in scheme and personnel. Time is short but with some self scout this team can be even better than what they have shown.

Like I said in the other post....isnt all of this coaching? I questioned why the Joe Gal love, had people come to his aid, and from what it sounds like, your post pretty much validated what I had said all along. He is an overrated coach whose program underachieves.

Defcon not their finest night but I think we all understand it's a lot easier from far away as opposed to the bullets flying. Their game plan and execution was perfect against Marple. The coaches also didn't fumble. I think this particular year they could do more with what they have offensively but I'm also not at practice everyday etc. They need some tweaks here and there but think staff is more than capable.

The point is before the guy there literally was no program. He put this thing in position to be relevant. That isn't easy. Now it comes with higher expectations that will need to be met. They will need to adjust and do that. Part of the problem is they are not used to having this much skill talent. It's arguable that their QB who has 3,000 career yards might not be their best QB. Nice problem to have but a problem nonetheless. They will figure it out. Problems at 8-2 are problems Haverford isn't used to having, if its a problem at all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT