ADVERTISEMENT

Ranking the best WPIAL teams

I’m not sure about the answer, but I would assume NA and PCC would have similar
college players.

I have some problems with your list, particularly the teams you put above 2012 NA. 2000 Lebo Top 5? I doubt they would beat 2012 NA. Same with 2000 Woodland Hills, which was worse than 2000 Lebo. 2009 Woodland Hills definitively didn’t dominate the same way 2012 NA did. All of those teams got shut down when they entered the state playoffs
After watching the 2000 season over again, Lebo was definitely a very good team. Very underrated. However, they were definitely a little inconsistent, losing three games and being blown out twice. They weren’t as good as last years team, but I’d put them In the top 20.

For some light reading, here is what I wrote on each team:

North Allegheny 2012 had 7 guys to FBS/FCS on scholarship, plus a walk-on at Penn State. Then they had seven players go D2 or D3. Biggest recruit was Kugler to Michigan.

Pittsburgh Central Catholic 2004 had 13 to FBS/FCS. They only had two guys who went D2 or D3. Biggest recruit was Wisniewski to Penn State, of that senior class it was probably Nathan Williams to Northwestern or Shane Murray to Pitt.

For some light reading, here is what I wrote on each team:

Thanks my brotha

This would make 2004 Baldwin an elite team, only losing 16-14.

that’s exactly why I say 2012 NA is better than 2004 PCC. PCC had too many close games for my liking
I’m going to have to agree to disagree on this debate. Both won states, and were undefeated. We’ll never truly know, so I’ll side with my alma mater.

I’m not sure about the answer, but I would assume NA and PCC would have similar
college players.

I have some problems with your list, particularly the teams you put above 2012 NA. 2000 Lebo Top 5? I doubt they would beat 2012 NA. Same with 2000 Woodland Hills, which was worse than 2000 Lebo. 2009 Woodland Hills definitively didn’t dominate the same way 2012 NA did. All of those teams got shut down when they entered the state playoffs
on paper they would crush 2012 NA

2009 Woodland Hills had tons of injuries in their loss to State College

After watching the 2000 season over again, Lebo was definitely a very good team. Very underrated. However, they were definitely a little inconsistent, losing three games and being blown out twice. They weren’t as good as last years team, but I’d put them In the top 20.
they got revenge on North Hills, and Cathedral Prep would've blown out most teams

North Allegheny 2012 had 7 guys to FBS/FCS on scholarship, plus a walk-on at Penn State. Then they had seven players go D2 or D3. Biggest recruit was Kugler to Michigan.

Pittsburgh Central Catholic 2004 had 13 to FBS/FCS. They only had two guys who went D2 or D3. Biggest recruit was Wisniewski to Penn State, of that senior class it was probably Nathan Williams to Northwestern or Shane Murray to Pitt.

on paper Central definitely takes it, i'm sure they were bigger and more athletic than NA

Kugler didn't even get to play until his 5th year at Michigan, Elijah Zeise played at linebacker for Pitt but I think he only played receiver at NA and he wasn't the best receiver on the team his junior year

did Mack Leftwich play at all in college?

on paper Central definitely takes it, i'm sure they were bigger and more athletic than NA

Kugler didn't even get to play until his 5th year at Michigan, Elijah Zeise played at linebacker for Pitt but I think he only played receiver at NA and he wasn't the best receiver on the team his junior year

did Mack Leftwich play at all in college?
Leftwich played at UTEP - Kugler’s dad was on staff there and recruited Leftwich and Gonzales. Leftwich got some starts as a sophomore, then had nasty concussion issues that forced him to medically retire. He’s the offensive coordinator at Incarnate Word now, who is one of those cutting edge fun offenses. He was the QB coach, and got promoted when the head coach and OC left for Washington State.

NA’s best receiver that season was Gregg Garrity, who walked on at Penn State, but was probably an FCS player. Brendan Coniker was the other receiver who played safety at Richmond. That’s a really good high school corps.

The flip side is, PCC has three all state kids in the secondary with Shane Murray, Lamar Mason, and Tony Colazzi. And Nathan Williams, Julius Hopson, and Bobby Helty is probably the best linebacker trio of any state champ? It’s a fun hypothetical match up, but I’m pro PCC in this one.

Leftwich played at UTEP - Kugler’s dad was on staff there and recruited Leftwich and Gonzales. Leftwich got some starts as a sophomore, then had nasty concussion issues that forced him to medically retire. He’s the offensive coordinator at Incarnate Word now, who is one of those cutting edge fun offenses. He was the QB coach, and got promoted when the head coach and OC left for Washington State.

NA’s best receiver that season was Gregg Garrity, who walked on at Penn State, but was probably an FCS player. Brendan Coniker was the other receiver who played safety at Richmond. That’s a really good high school corps.

The flip side is, PCC has three all state kids in the secondary with Shane Murray, Lamar Mason, and Tony Colazzi. And Nathan Williams, Julius Hopson, and Bobby Helty is probably the best linebacker trio of any state champ? It’s a fun hypothetical match up, but I’m pro PCC in this one.
FCS?

I’m referencing his son, who went to Penn State in 2013 as a preferred walk on and got some snaps on special teams as a senior. Guess I should have specified Gregg Garrett Jr.

Jr. had like 70 catches for 1,000 yards on the 2012 North Allegheny team - that was right as Penn State had all those scholarships pulled and they were really aggressive with PWO’s, particularly for legacy kids. He was listed at 5’10 170 at PSU, so I don’t think he was an FBS sized kid, but probably had the skill/production to be a Patriot League/Ivy League level guy if he wanted to go play a lot somewhere.

Reactions: EPC FAN
I’m referencing his son, who went to Penn State in 2013 as a preferred walk on and got some snaps on special teams as a senior. Guess I should have specified Gregg Garrett Jr.

Jr. had like 70 catches for 1,000 yards on the 2012 North Allegheny team - that was right as Penn State had all those scholarships pulled and they were really aggressive with PWO’s, particularly for legacy kids. He was listed at 5’10 170 at PSU, so I don’t think he was an FBS sized kid, but probably had the skill/production to be a Patriot League/Ivy League level guy if he wanted to go play a lot somewhere.
Gregg Sr. Was a walk-on, too. My mistake.

If you're doing all time list since playoff era here's mine:
1. 2004 pcc
2. 2017 pine Richland
3. 1995 Penn hills
4. 2012 north Allegheny
5. 1993 north hills
6. 2007 pcc
7. 2021 Mt Lebo
8. 1994 McKeesport
9. 2005 McKeesport
10. 2006 upper st Clair
11. 1989 upper st clair
12. 88 usc
13. 1990 north Allegheny
14. 2010 north Allegheny
15. 2015 pcc
HM: 99, 01, 02 woodland hills, 88 pcc, 14 pr, 91 connesville, 08 gateway, 08 bethel park, 11 NA

Last edited:
Haus - put them where you want, but 2020 P-R was better than 2014 P-R. Those 2020 kids smoked the lebo championship kids in 2019.

2004 PCC vs. 2017 P-R would be a game I'd pay a lot to see.

Haus - put them where you want, but 2020 P-R was better than 2014 P-R. Those 2020 kids smoked the lebo championship kids in 2019.

those 2020 PR kids aren't stopping Ben Dinucci

Haha. That defense isn’t stopping 2020 team. Score may have been 72-71

My dream finals I would like to see:
2004 PCC vs 2017 PR
1995 Penn Hills vs 2021 Lebo
2012 NA vs 2015 PCC

I agree, I was only doing 4A/6A

My dream finals I would like to see:
2004 PCC vs 2017 PR
1995 Penn Hills vs 2021 Lebo
2012 NA vs 2015 PCC
See here's my top 10 dream matchups:
1. 2004 pcc vs 2020 st Joe's prep (the two best teams since playoff era)
2. 1995 Penn hills vs 1998 cb west (two best lines in playoff era)
3. 2016 st Joe's prep vs 2002 parkland (two greatest running backs in playoff era .
4. 2003 SJP vs 2003 north penn (this is the dream match up that people have been arguing for years if district 12 had competed in the playoffs that year who would of won the championship.
5. 2000 Erie cathedral prep vs 2017 Erie cathedral prep (thier two best team and would love to see which is their greatest.
6. 2017 pine Richland vs 2004 pcc ( IMO would determine the greatest wpial team in playoff era)
7. 2015 Imhotep vs 2015 pcc (determine the best team in pa that year)
8. 2017 pine Richland vs 2017 Erie cathedral prep (would determine who was the best team in pa that year. Both had a win over pcc that year ecp 40-7 & pr 47-17, both were undefeated, and both were loaded.
9. 2007 Jeanette vs 2016 steel valley (IMO two best small wpial teams in playoff era)
10. 2007 Jeanette vs 2019 southern Columbia (imo two greatest small schools)

Last edited:
1. 2004 pcc vs 2020 st Joe's prep (the two best teams since playoff era)
2. 1995 Penn hills vs 1998 cb west (two best lines in playoff era)
3. 2016 st Joe's prep vs 2002 parkland (two greatest running backs in playoff era .
4. 2003 SJP vs 2003 north penn (this is the dream match up that people have been arguing for years if district 12 had competed in the playoffs that year who would of won the championship.
5. 2000 Erie cathedral prep vs 2017 Erie cathedral prep (thier two best team and would love to see which is their greatest.
6. 2017 pine Richland vs 2004 pcc ( IMO would determine the greatest wpial team in playoff era)
7. 2015 Imhotep vs 2015 pcc (determine the best team in pa that year)
8. 2017 pine Richland vs 2017 Erie cathedral prep (would determine who was the best team in pa that year. Both had a win over pcc that year ecp 40-7 & pr 47-17, both were undefeated, and both were loaded.
9. 2007 Jeanette vs 2016 steel valley (IMO two best small wpial teams in playoff era)
10. 2007 Jeanette vs 2019 southern Columbia (imo two greatest small schools)
2010 NA vs 2012 NA
1990 NA vs 2005 McKeesport
2018 Penn hills vs 2018 pine richland
2004 Pcc vs 2006 USC
2021 lebo vs 2021 Central Valley
2020 PR vs 2020 PCC
1999 woodlands hills vs 2008 bethel park

huh?

you have 2017 PR as at least 2nd best WPIAL team ever, but think ECP could've beaten them?

if 2017 ECP was that good they would've played 6A and not 4A

Joe Mischler isn't exactly lighting it up at little Duquesne

Reactions: new2pa
too many things, some are just different, some are weird- small example, check out prfootball twitter- retweet after the penn hills loss

they stopped a more talented team in 2014 Central

That 2014 PCC team couldn't pass the ball and P-R allowed 28 to them in the regular season. It would be close, but I'll take the 2020 Coach K calling the defense and a ton of skill players on O.

That 2014 PCC team couldn't pass the ball and P-R allowed 28 to them in the regular season. It would be close, but I'll take the 2020 Coach K calling the defense and a ton of skill players on O.
most Central teams couldn't pass the ball, you typically don't need to pass the ball in high school when your line is bigger and your skill players are faster and more athletic than the competition

yeah central scored 28, while PR scored about 20 more

if Governor Mifflin can come close to mercy ruling PR in 2020, I'm betting 2014 Central can give them fits to say the least

If P-R gives PCC 5 turnovers, then yes.
In spite of 5 TO’s and having the best RB in the country, GM still couldn’t win. I don’t believe GM ever actually made PR punt. That game would have been 70-21 if not for the turnovers.

In spite of 5 TO’s and having the best RB in the country, GM still couldn’t win. I don’t believe GM ever actually made PR punt. That game would have been 70-21 if not for the turnovers.
wow, yea BP- 2020 PR? that GM game was never "close to mercy rule" they did have 20 pt advantage, but that never lasted more than 2 minutes in game clock time- turnovers were a major factor- cold and rain caused that mostly- and omg- that defense held the RB to 110 yds- he was like the #1 RB in the whole country in 2022 grad class- prior to that game, he averaged 15 yards for every carry, on the year- that game, he averaged 5ypc , with no runs longer than like 10- amazing defensive job

so turnovers aren't a huge part of the game now because they make 2020 PR look worse than 2014 PR LOL

I also think 2020 PR's legacy took a hit by GM not even coming close to winning the state last year while being heavy favorites

wow, yea BP- 2020 PR? that GM game was never "close to mercy rule" they did have 20 pt advantage, but that never lasted more than 2 minutes in game clock time- turnovers were a major factor- cold and rain caused that mostly- and omg- that defense held the RB to 110 yds- he was like the #1 RB in the whole country in 2022 grad class- prior to that game, he averaged 15 yards for every carry, on the year- that game, he averaged 5ypc , with no runs longer than like 10- amazing defensive job
I specifically remember Cole the QB saying that he was close to tears when he realized they were getting close to being mercy ruled

2014 PR blew out Central twice, that same Central team shut down Miles Sanders, who was highly ranked, a star at Penn State and a 2nd round pick of the Eagles where I think he starts

i think that cancels out your "but 2020 PR shut down Nick Singleton" argument LOL

They had *5* Turnovers. We can disagree. 2020 by at least 2 TDs.

What does 2014 PR have over 2020 PR? Qb?
yep and a more impressive resume, sorry I'm not overly impressed by a 5A title against a weak ECP team that kept advancing due to other teams having the China virus, I'm more impressed by a close loss to a strong St. Joe's

now what does 2020 PR have over 2014 PR?

2020 had more talent.

Hayes, Jackson, Miller, Hasley, Jochem, Mill, Neill

2014 had DiNucci and Slomka and a lot of very good HS football players. Hampson was next best but a step below that group above in 2020

and remember - Spencer had more passing TDs than DiNucci. He was no slouch.

2020 had more talent.

Hayes, Jackson, Miller, Hasley, Jochem, Mill, Neill

2014 had DiNucci and Slomka and a lot of very good HS football players. Hampson was next best but a step below that group above in 2020

and remember - Spencer had more passing TDs than DiNucci. He was no slouch.
again- getting off track folks, but im pretty sure if you want to "rank best ever" regarding talent? Pretty sure most people who really knew these PR teams, 2014 and 2020- for overall "talent?" Both were similar, but edge would to go 2020, more kids went on the play D1 college fb

yep and a more impressive resume, sorry I'm not overly impressed by a 5A title against a weak ECP team that kept advancing due to other teams having the China virus, I'm more impressed by a close loss to a strong St. Joe's

now what does 2020 PR have over 2014 PR?
Well, They do have a state championship over their 2014 counterparts

you’re more impressed by a close loss than a historically dominant win? 2014 st joes isn’t even a top 3 st joes team

Close loses are what beta males tell themselves are a ‘good thing’. Losers find excuses, winners win. Thankfully I’m a winner

now, regarding 2020 Pr, they are very obviously not ‘the best wpial team ever’ since 2017 Pr is better than them. They also didn’t play in the highest conference

let’s start discussing real candidates for best wpial teams ever please

Last edited:
From a guy who's watch P-R, here's how they rank.

1. 2017
2. 2020
3. 2014
GAP
4. 2003 (only saw tape)
5. 2018 Dominant D
6. 2019

I too think 2017 P-R and 2004 PCC are best two. Rest I don't know.

From a guy who's watch P-R, here's how they rank.

1. 2017
2. 2020
3. 2014
GAP
4. 2003 (only saw tape)
5. 2018 Dominant D
6. 2019

I too think 2017 P-R and 2004 PCC are best two. Rest I don't know.
Wait a minute

new2pa- new to Pennsylvania-watched 2003 pr on tape- meaning you moved after 2003-pr started winning championships in the 2010s

you move to PR because they were winning championships. You’re a bandwagon

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT