12. Gateway
13.Latrobe
14. Kiski
15. Armstrong
18. Plum
17. Shaler
18. Fox Chapel
19. Baldwin

Very competitive class in the WPIAL. Top 14 teams are solid. Only the bottom 3 are really poor quality. Pretty sure the champ is coming from my top 4, impossible to say who it will be.

1. Upper St. Clair
2. Bethel Park
3. Pine-Richland
4. Peters Township
5. Moon
6. Franklin Regional
7. South Fayette
8. North Hills
9. Woodland Hills
10. Penn-Trafford
11. Penn Hills
12. Gateway
13.Latrobe
14. Kiski
15. Armstrong
18. Plum
17. Shaler
18. Fox Chapel
19. Baldwin

Very competitive class in the WPIAL. Top 14 teams are solid. Only the bottom 3 are really poor quality. Pretty sure the champ is coming from my top 4, impossible to say who it will be.
nice- very thorough! But- this could change dramatically, 3-4 times in the next week- as of now- all I'm sure about is-
1-USC
2-PR

For now, I put PR ahead of Bethel due to strength of competition so far

And- the "sleepers" to maybe crack into top 5, imo, might be Franklin, Penn Hills, North Hills and Penn Trafford

Best guess- is 3 more weeks will get to most teams having played each other- Oct 18

Karlo Zofko's WPIAL Insider Top 25 All Class Rankings has 13 5A teams in it. They would go like this:

1. Bethel Park
2. Pine-Richland
3. Upper St. Clair
4. Peters Township
5. South Fayette
6. Woodland Hills
7. Penn Hills
8. Franklin Regional
9. North Hills
10. Penn-Trafford
11. Latrobe
12. Moon
13. Gateway

Same 13 as my top 13, just a different order. I probably have Moon too high, I saw the narrow loss to Bethel Park but didn't realize until later they were outgained by 300+ yards...

Karlo Zofko's WPIAL Insider Top 25 All Class Rankings has 13 5A teams in it. They would go like this:

1. Bethel Park
2. Pine-Richland
3. Upper St. Clair
4. Peters Township
5. South Fayette
6. Woodland Hills
7. Penn Hills
8. Franklin Regional
9. North Hills
10. Penn-Trafford
11. Latrobe
12. Moon
13. Gateway

Same 13 as my top 13, just a different order. I probably have Moon too high, I saw the narrow loss to Bethel Park but didn't realize until later they were outgained by 300+ yards...
Rankings are fun- but it's just too early to rank based upon records- some of these teams have barely played each other- this order is gonna change a lot- maybe 5 ways in the next 5 weeks. Two smaller examples- it's possible that North Hills could finish in the top to 5, and possible that South Fayette could finish outside the top ten!

PR vs Penn Hills this week- and Bethel vs USC next week next week might lock in 2 of the top 4. BUT Peters v Bethel is the last game- so shuffling could occur up until the very last game

1. USC
2. Pine Richland
3. Peters township
4. Bethel park
5. South Fayette
still too early to say- but no way South Fayette belongs that high, they might not even make the playoffs- their team has not gone "deep" in playoffs for many years- certainly not in 5A-

crazy to say, but its possible for Peters to miss the playoffs! Every team has win at least 3 conference games, and they only have 1 so far

just too early

still too early to say- but no way South Fayette belongs that high, they might not even make the playoffs- their team has not gone "deep" in playoffs for many years- certainly not in 5A-

crazy to say, but its possible for Peters to miss the playoffs! Every team has win at least 3 conference games, and they only have 1 so far

just too early
but aren't they handpicking a few playoff teams this year so they don't repeat what happened with USC last year missing the playoffs with only two losses? no way they don't pick Peters if they only have a loss to USC and Bethel Park

but aren't they handpicking a few playoff teams this year so they don't repeat what happened with USC last year missing the playoffs with only two losses? no way they don't pick Peters if they only have a loss to USC and Bethel Park
yes but any system is gonna be flawed and get criticized. part of my point, is the "south hills" teams in 5A are massively overrated. North Hills or Woody would kick the crap out of a couple of those teams. Several of the "wins" of those teams are 3A, yea 3, crazy. Once the "dust settles" this conference will looks weak and might not get a wildcard- so if Peters loses to Bethel and Moon, they are 4th, not locked into playoffs. That could happen

yes but any system is gonna be flawed and get criticized. part of my point, is the "south hills" teams in 5A are massively overrated. North Hills or Woody would kick the crap out of a couple of those teams. Several of the "wins" of those teams are 3A, yea 3, crazy. Once the "dust settles" this conference will looks weak and might not get a wildcard- so if Peters loses to Bethel and Moon, they are 4th, not locked into playoffs. That could happen

That may be true. Would lead me to believe 5A not as good as people think - cause NH is not good.

That may be true. Would lead me to believe 5A not as good as people think - cause NH is not good.
yes maybe- the local "top 25" list for Pittsburgh area- like 13 out of 25 are A? Kinda stupid. Overall, as a "group of teams" 4A is underrated, and 5A is overrated. Both have some great teams.

idk- NH looked pretty solid against PR- and they game-planned well. I would not be the "top 2" of PH, PR and NH, maybe both will make 5A semi

NH is kind of an odd team. Their defense is easily one of the top 5 in 5A. The LB and DB groups are elite level. The defensive line is a bit small but they have been very effective. On the other hand the offense is very average. The offensive line is not good which is a big problem. The QB was just a sandlot player when the season started. They still rely on big plays but have been showing some improvement as the season progresses. I think they are a legit team that has a chance to be 9-1 when the season ends.

NH is kind of an odd team. Their defense is easily one of the top 5 in 5A. The LB and DB groups are elite level. The defensive line is a bit small but they have been very effective. On the other hand the offense is very average. The offensive line is not good which is a big problem. The QB was just a sandlot player when the season started. They still rely on big plays but have been showing some improvement as the season progresses. I think they are a legit team that has a chance to be 9-1 when the season ends.
Story as old as time. Great D, crappy O.

Some tight games between contenders in 5A

Peters over moon 23-14
Pine over Penn hills 31-21
USC over south fayette 17-7

Should be an interesting playoff, no dominant team

I watched end PR game when I got home. Neither PR or PH is great by any stretch.

PR nice run game with QB and RB, but I didn’t really see much else. PH is PH. And you could say PR is new PH.

I saw BP vs Mars and BP is way more physical and “good looking” than either of those two. Have not seen Peters or USC yet n

I watched end PR game when I got home. Neither PR or PH is great by any stretch.

PR nice run game with QB and RB, but I didn’t really see much else. PH is PH. And you could say PR is new PH.

I saw BP vs Mars and BP is way more physical and “good looking” than either of those two. Have not seen Peters or USC yet n
Yes, I would agree. There ae few things about PR that I thought would be better by now, but not. I think i may eat my words, the South conference may be stronger/strongest- South Fayette put up a good fight. BP and USC legit, and Peters not dead yet. As I've said before, the biggest problem w PR is inconsistent coaching, constant changes.

But yes, it's gonna be a dogfight.

Reactions: new2pa
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT