ADVERTISEMENT

Ranking the best WPIAL teams

2020 had more talent.

Hayes, Jackson, Miller, Hasley, Jochem, Mill, Neill

2014 had DiNucci and Slomka and a lot of very good HS football players. Hampson was next best but a step below that group above in 2020

and remember - Spencer had more passing TDs than DiNucci. He was no slouch.
more talent?

who? who? who? that's mostly what I see among those names

2014 PR had great receivers too, on par with Jochem

they also played weaker competition so maybe that is why he had more touchdowns, Dinucci had about 4000 passing yards

again- getting off track folks, but im pretty sure if you want to "rank best ever" regarding talent? Pretty sure most people who really knew these PR teams, 2014 and 2020- for overall "talent?" Both were similar, but edge would to go 2020, more kids went on the play D1 college fb
so Central Catholic 2014 is better than both since they had more D1 kids, right????

Well, They do have a state championship over their 2014 counterparts

you’re more impressed by a close loss than a historically dominant win? 2014 st joes isn’t even a top 3 st joes team

Close loses are what beta males tell themselves are a ‘good thing’. Losers find excuses, winners win. Thankfully I’m a winner

now, regarding 2020 Pr, they are very obviously not ‘the best wpial team ever’ since 2017 Pr is better than them. They also didn’t play in the highest conference

let’s start discussing real candidates for best wpial teams ever please
yes I know, timing matters in life

what was historically dominant about them? what makes 2014 St. Joes worse than top 3? I mean at the very least you have to admit they were far better than 2020 ECP, and better than Governor Mifflin, and a hell of a lot better than 2012 Coatesville LOL

I gave my opinion on best wpial teams, what is stopping the hundreds of others that viewed the thread from doing the same?

From a guy who's watch P-R, here's how they rank.

1. 2017
2. 2020
3. 2014
GAP
4. 2003 (only saw tape)
5. 2018 Dominant D
6. 2019

I too think 2017 P-R and 2004 PCC are best two. Rest I don't know.
so only teams that won titles are eligible for your rankings

how did 2015 and 2016 PR go from being worse than your AAA 2003 finalist to "best team or 2nd best ever" within 1 - 2 years later

so only teams that won titles are eligible for your rankings

how did 2015 and 2016 PR go from being worse than your AAA 2003 finalist to "best team or 2nd best ever" within 1 - 2 years later
1. They are my ranking.
2. They got better.

yes I know, timing matters in life

what was historically dominant about them? what makes 2014 St. Joes worse than top 3? I mean at the very least you have to admit they were far better than 2020 ECP, and better than Governor Mifflin, and a hell of a lot better than 2012 Coatesville LOL

I gave my opinion on best wpial teams, what is stopping the hundreds of others that viewed the thread from doing the same?

They averaged like 48 points per game. I think I remember the clown mike white talking about how statistically, they were better than the 2017 team

I don’t see what makes 2014 st joes better than 2012 Coatsville. At that time, district 1 was actually a competitive conference. Their stats are essentially the same and Coatesville had a better record

It just a shame Coatesville had to play NA instead of PR

Last edited:
I don’t see what makes 2014 st joes better than 2012 Coatsville. At that time, district 1 was actually a competitive conference. Their stats are essentially the same and Coatesville had a better record
The major difference is from that SJP team, both running backs, their best WR/CB and their left tackle are all playing in the NFL. Their whole secondary went to FBS programs. They had three Division I defensive lineman. There were eleven FBS/FCS guys in the SJP lineup - Rutgers, Virginia, Georgia, Penn State, Princeton, Princeton, Michigan, Colgate, Penn State, Delaware, Colgate, Temple. The Reid/Runyon/Zaccheus senior trio is one of the best in PIAA history, and none of them were the best player on the team thanks to D'Andre Swift.

Yes, both teams had three losses, but SJP lost to national programs St. Ignacio’s (Ohio), Don Bosco Prep (NJ) and St. Joseph’s Regional (NJ). They also went on the road and beat Mount Carmel (Chicago, IL). Coatesville losses were Downingtown East and Malvern Prep, before the finals loss to North Allegheny. Just not the same schedule, at all.

Coatesville did have great skill guys, but they’re all not quite was SJP had - Daquan Worely (Penn State/Duquesne) vs D’Andre Swift (Georgia/Detroit Lions), Chris Jones (Coastal Carolina) vs John Reid (Penn State/Seattle Seahawks), Dre Boggs (Rutgers) vs Olamade Zacccheus (Virginia/Atlanta Falcons). Even on the offensive line - Coatesville had a big 300 pound left tackle that played at Lafayette. SJP had a big 300 pound left tackle that played at Michigan and plays for the Packers. Tyler Burke, the Coatesville middle linebacker who played at Maryland then Rhode Island, would be the one major spot where Coatesville had an advantage over SJP. On the offensive line, Coatesville had the two big tackles, but also had interior linemen in the 220-230 range, SJP's smallest offensive lineman was 250. The secondary talents at SJP were guys like Jake Strain, who was a multiple time All State selection.

I think that Coatesville team was really good, and in a lot of years could have won a state title. But they're clearly not as good as 2014 SJP.

The major difference is from that SJP team, both running backs, their best WR/CB and their left tackle are all playing in the NFL. Their whole secondary went to FBS programs. They had three Division I defensive lineman. There were eleven FBS/FCS guys in the SJP lineup - Rutgers, Virginia, Georgia, Penn State, Princeton, Princeton, Michigan, Colgate, Penn State, Delaware, Colgate, Temple. The Reid/Runyon/Zaccheus senior trio is one of the best in PIAA history, and none of them were the best player on the team thanks to D'Andre Swift.

Yes, both teams had three losses, but SJP lost to national programs St. Ignacio’s (Ohio), Don Bosco Prep (NJ) and St. Joseph’s Regional (NJ). They also went on the road and beat Mount Carmel (Chicago, IL). Coatesville losses were Downingtown East and Malvern Prep, before the finals loss to North Allegheny. Just not the same schedule, at all.

Coatesville did have great skill guys, but they’re all not quite was SJP had - Daquan Worely (Penn State/Duquesne) vs D’Andre Swift (Georgia/Detroit Lions), Chris Jones (Coastal Carolina) vs John Reid (Penn State/Seattle Seahawks), Dre Boggs (Rutgers) vs Olamade Zacccheus (Virginia/Atlanta Falcons). Even on the offensive line - Coatesville had a big 300 pound left tackle that played at Lafayette. SJP had a big 300 pound left tackle that played at Michigan and plays for the Packers. Tyler Burke, the Coatesville middle linebacker who played at Maryland then Rhode Island, would be the one major spot where Coatesville had an advantage over SJP. On the offensive line, Coatesville had the two big tackles, but also had interior linemen in the 220-230 range, SJP's smallest offensive lineman was 250. The secondary talents at SJP were guys like Jake Strain, who was a multiple time All State selection.

I think that Coatesville team was really good, and in a lot of years could have won a state title. But they're clearly not as good as 2014 SJP.
Thanks for the well informed response

Which 6a/4a runner up do you think was the best? Aka what’s the best team that didn’t win a state title?

What about 2007 Jeanette? Probably the most dominant team stats wise. Although they were in a lower class, they still had Pryor.

What about 2007 Jeanette? Probably the most dominant team stats wise. Although they were in a lower class, they still had Pryor.
Is the match up for best small school (say, 1A and 2A in the 1988-2015 system, then 3A and below for the current system) 2007 Jeanette vs. 2019 Southern Columbia? I haven't done the same history work on the lower classifications, but that seems like who would be on it? Maybe one of the late 1990s Mount Carmel teams? 1991 Aliquippa with Ty Law? One of the Tyler Boyd Clairton teams?

wow- interesting stuff Rover- mmm, i think on this thread, i think there was debate on 2014 PR compared to 2020 PR- jeez, given the talent on 2014 SJP that's amazing that PR almost pulled off the upset- 2020 had a better defense but i guess the effort on the state final may give 14 Pr the edge

Reactions: new2pa
wow- interesting stuff Rover- mmm, i think on this thread, i think there was debate on 2014 PR compared to 2020 PR- jeez, given the talent on 2014 SJP that's amazing that PR almost pulled off the upset- 2020 had a better defense but i guess the effort on the state final may give 14 Pr the edge
Where would you place 2022 Pr when they inevitably win states this year

They averaged like 48 points per game. I think I remember the clown mike white talking about how statistically, they were better than the 2017 team

It just a shame Coatesville had to play NA instead of PR
district 1 hasn't won a state title in the highest classification since 2003

better record? who were St. Joes losses to? powerhouses from other states more than likely

thank you for the facts

that 2014 team was loaded and PR gave them all they could handle, 2020 PR didn't see a team with a fraction of that talent

which state title teams do you think 2012 Coatesville would beat?

amazing team at their level, and my dream matchup would definitely involve them playing a top bigger school team

Pryor is probably the best high school athlete I've ever seen, i think he would've had a much better pro career if he played wide receiver right away but at the time everybody was looking for the next Vince Young

these days he's still rich from his disappointingly short NFL career, and in a extremely abusive relationship with his girlfriend

Is the match up for best small school (say, 1A and 2A in the 1988-2015 system, then 3A and below for the current system) 2007 Jeanette vs. 2019 Southern Columbia? I haven't done the same history work on the lower classifications, but that seems like who would be on it? Maybe one of the late 1990s Mount Carmel teams? 1991 Aliquippa with Ty Law? One of the Tyler Boyd Clairton teams?
best 2A teams in no order imo, from what i've seen don't remember much from the 90's

2007 Jeannette
2019 Southern Columbia
2018 Southern Columbia
2016 Steel Valley
2013 South Fayette
2012 Wyomissing
2012 Aliquippa (runner up to Wyomissing)
2000 Mt. Carmel

best 1A teams
2006 Southern Columbia
2005 Southern Columbia
2011 Clairton
2014 - 2016 Bishop Guilfoyle
2014 Clairton (state runner up)

Bingo that's what i've been saying

Thanks for the well informed response

Which 6a/4a runner up do you think was the best? Aka what’s the best team that didn’t win a state title?
you didn't ask me but i'll give my opinion

99 ECP
2000 CB West
2001 Woodland Hills
2003 Central
2014 PR
2017 St Joes
2016 Central Catholic

Last edited:
Not at all. They can for sure win wpial 5a and Imhotep seems to have a discipline issue

Not at all. They can for sure win wpial 5a and Imhotep seems to have a discipline issue
ok- well, as of now, I do not think PR will win wpial. I'm unsure if they could beat bethel and im pretty sure they cannot beat Gateway- maybe i will be convinced if they can win-out reg season, but not yet

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT