ADVERTISEMENT

Prep-Pine Richland

I won't hold your short term memory against you. Sounds like you were only in middle school for St. Joe's recent championship wins.

Agree..

PR played a better game. Took advantage of turnovers and shorter fields (to their credit, they mostly forced them), made more plays when it needed to be made. Jurkovec a special talent.
Make no mistake, until further notice, St. Joe's still the class of Eastern PA football and perennial national power. They continually challenge themselves OOC, no small feat..

Last edited:
I will post more later, but as I saw the game, Jurkovec, P-R's defense and P-R's OL stepping up in the second half of the game (enabled by great tempo) was the difference in the game. SJP defense looked pretty well prepared, but just couldn't keep up with P-R for 48 minutes.

And the ability to score put a ton of pressure on the other teams offense and skill players. I think that showed a little bit too.

Reactions: JACKY6996
That's funny! You obviously don't follow St. Joseph Prep football As stated above it was one game. Pine Richland played better. PERIOD. SOFT, yeah ok if you say so. Your guys won so you can crow.

One game or not. PR physically dominated SJP. The way they did it I doubt it was a One Game fluke.

Reactions: football.6a
Its a big difference when the best player in the state is on your team .Swift last year
PR q.b this year not a SJP fan but I agree run the ball if jurkovec doesn't have it he can't score .that being said the better team one.

I love when people call 15-18 kids "soft"...I mean, really?
It's high school football. They're kids.

Prep had 6 turnovers all season going into the game. Then they have 4 in one game. Things happen.

Congrats to P-R. We will be seeing Jurkovec for a really long time.

Congrats to Prep-what a run they've been on. Regardless of the recruiting debate, you can tell how well-coached they are. Same for PR.

I guess SJP needs to recruit harder. Start at QB. Horrible. If that team scored 52 last week the completion in the east must be absolutely horrible. They not only got outplayed, they were stunned by the physical nature of PR. They were hit hard and often and had no answer but to fumble. SOFT!
Win with class and do not criticize an individual player ever. You sound like an ass with comments like you provided. PR had a great year and won the states . New to pa and Jacky are good PR fans You are just a punk that doesn't have a clue. Grow up !!!

Reactions: roxychknpoxy
One game or not. PR physically dominated SJP. The way they did it I doubt it was a One Game fluke.
Would you have said that at the half? Would you say that if turnovers didn't create a 21+ point swing? The talk that it was domination is foolish. It was a hard fought, deserved win, but all this talk is petty.

Reactions: yesman3
Your statement reminds me of a quote from my HS coach, Whitey Sullivan. (I am BLATANTLY pulling this from one of Ted Silary's old articles) He uttered perhaps the best quote in city scholastic sports history. After Cardinal Dougherty quarterback Andy Baratta, who went 6-3 1/2, 210, ran roughshod over Judge in 1978, Sullivan said, "That game was won 18 years ago in a bedroom in Olney." Olney was a feeder neighborhood for Cardinal Dougherty HS. Will Infante make the same type of comment after Saturday? I hope he doesn't have to...
There was nobody better than Whitey. Great guy, yet easygoing. Barratta was a stud athlete.

You obviously don’t follow. PR has played two national powers from Ohio for two straight years.
Joes was SOFT

Since we’re throwing words around loosely, I would define SOFT as last year’s PR team that collapsed….collapsed….with the loss of one key player.

Second point; calling ‘17 Wayne a national power speaks to an utter lack of understanding Buckeye ball. First you have to beat in-state powers Trotwood-Madison, Centerville and Pick North to even be in the conversation, not go 0-3 against them. But if you really want to be a bad ass, try on North Jersey for size, annually, not just an occasional foray into Ohio. Better yet, keep it in-state and play LaSalle. Wood and St. Joe’s with some regularity.

Any grown ass man that comes on a high school sports message board and calls high school kids soft, among other things, is pathetic. I see this guy has only been a member on here since July so that explains alot. Absolutely pathetic. To sit behind a screen and live thru 16,17,and 18 year old kids and then call the kids on the other team names says alot about your character.

Any grown ass man that comes on a high school sports message board and calls high school kids soft, among other things, is pathetic. I see this guy has only been a member on here since July so that explains alot. Absolutely pathetic. To sit behind a screen and live thru 16,17,and 18 year old kids and then call the kids on the other team names says alot about your character.
SOFT. DEAL WITH IT. STOP CRYING LIKE A LITTLE GIRL.

np,
Don't assume a grown-ass man.. ;)

Reactions: newport
Nobody is crying. I'm not a SJ Prep guy. I have congratulated PR over n over again on a title well deserved and earned. They played much much better. This is some of the most pathetic posting I've seen in my damn near 20 years of posting on this board.

I will post more later, but as I saw the game, Jurkovec, P-R's defense and P-R's OL stepping up in the second half of the game (enabled by great tempo) was the difference in the game. SJP defense looked pretty well prepared, but just couldn't keep up with P-R for 48 minutes.

And the ability to score put a ton of pressure on the other teams offense and skill players. I think that showed a little bit too.
Very good assessment, IMO.

Congrats to PR-they played great. That QB is the real deal. Their OL controlled the line of scrimmage against a very, very good Prep DL. PR's defense had timely stops/turnovers. They played amazing. Prep didn't help themselves with dropped passes and fumbles (although some were just great plays by defenders). Also, Prep has won many games this year on special teams plus field position. PR did a solid job in the kicking game (I didn't see the clip but this could've been a difference maker). I think that punt with the QB didn't allow Prep to try to block the punt like they usually do.

Jacky, what is the story behind Coach K basically switching to the defensive side of the ball to coorindate the D? Is my understanding of that correct? If so, credit to him for being an outstanding leader. That is what a true head coach should do. He has talent, but you can see he's a great coach. Congrats PR!

Prep had another great year as usual. They have an outstanding program and I'm sure they'll be back in Hershey soon. There's nothing to be ashamed of!

Just watched James Cherry's HUDL highlights. The first thing on it is the punt return that was called back on Saturday night. Wondering if anyone can see where the blocking in the back penalty happened. I've watched it three times and can't see it:

Tulla - I saw the return and flag flew as he passed #20 sealing the edge, poor call, but it happens, definitely a momentum deflator.

Reactions: MC1975
HSFballFan19: What I have heard is that there is a combination of 3 things that happened that allowed/forced Coach K to take over the defense.

First is that his core offensive staff (QB, OL, and RB Coach) have been with him since he got to P-R in 2011. I think he trusts those coaches a ton because they helped create the system they run now. Also, the new OC has been in the program a couple years, was a college coach and Coach K coached him in HS. So basically, he has qualified guys to run that side of the ball at every position.

Second is that there defense was horrible IMO last year. Bad scheme, couldn't get lined up, and didn't play hard.

Third, the old DC left the school district, so timing worked out fine.

And I guess 4th, he knew this class with #15 at QB had a chance to win it all, if the defense could be shored up.

Tulla - I saw the return and flag flew as he passed #20 sealing the edge, poor call, but it happens, definitely a momentum deflator.
Roxy, Just watched it again. I guess they called a hold on #20. Hard to tell from the angle if it was a good call, but it sure was a big call. If it was the rough near the sideline who made the call, he wasn't in a good position to make it. And to be clear: I'm not saying the Prep lost because of the refs, but it's frustrating to think that three times in the first quarter they were very close to TDs (#3's fumble, the called-back punt return, and the pass to #84) and didn't get any.

Just watched James Cherry's HUDL highlights. The first thing on it is the punt return that was called back on Saturday night. Wondering if anyone can see where the blocking in the back penalty happened. I've watched it three times and can't see it:

I rewatched that play on PCN a few times #20 held jurkovec and dragged him down.

Congrats to PR-they played great. That QB is the real deal. Their OL controlled the line of scrimmage against a very, very good Prep DL. PR's defense had timely stops/turnovers. They played amazing. Prep didn't help themselves with dropped passes and fumbles (although some were just great plays by defenders). Also, Prep has won many games this year on special teams plus field position. PR did a solid job in the kicking game (I didn't see the clip but this could've been a difference maker). I think that punt with the QB didn't allow Prep to try to block the punt like they usually do.

Jacky, what is the story behind Coach K basically switching to the defensive side of the ball to coorindate the D? Is my understanding of that correct? If so, credit to him for being an outstanding leader. That is what a true head coach should do. He has talent, but you can see he's a great coach. Congrats PR!

Prep had another great year as usual. They have an outstanding program and I'm sure they'll be back in Hershey soon. There's nothing to be ashamed of!

PR defense deserves as much recognition as the offense. The improvement from last year was by miles. Last years defense was abysmal to say the least. Coach k spent the off-season studying defense and created new schemes to fit their personal better. Results worked tremendously. The biggest difference was the physicality. They flew to the ball this year and the LB’s and safetys were constantly smacking people. After jurkovec got hurt last year I felt like they gave up so that didn’t help either. The guy they had as the OC did a awesome job taking over playcalling duties from coach k. They lose a lot of talent for next year no doubt but with this staff and system in place I see PR being a winning program for years to come.

I rewatched that play on PCN a few times #20 held jurkovec and dragged him down.
Yeah, I can see why the flag was thrown. Cherry may have scored anyway, though I realize that has no bearing on whether it was holding or not. From a Prep point of view, there were so many "what ifs." Both teams fumbled near the goal line: the Prep's was recovered by PR in the endzone while PR's goes out of bounds on the one. Reverse those and it's certainly a much closer game. That said, PR was the better team Saturday night.

Because it wasn’t a block in the back call. It was a hold on #20 who tackled the QB who punted the ball on the quick kick.

Because it wasn’t a block in the back call. It was a hold on #20 who tackled the QB who punted the ball on the quick kick.
You missed several posts above. Agreed that there was a holding call to be made on #20, though there was no "tackling" involved.

Ya, that could have changed momentum. I thought the game changed at the end of the first half when P-R stopped prep with about 1:30 to go and went down and scored. Prep got ball at beginning of second half and P-R held them 2 or 3 times in a row and got 2 more scores to go up 28-7. (I think)

I know that Prep had costly turnovers, but those cut both ways. P-R threw a pick on the 10 that would have been a walk in TD and then fumbled at the end of the game on the 5. They also fumbled on about the 20 on the first drive of the second half. The game probably ended up about like it should have.

Ya, that could have changed momentum. I thought the game changed at the end of the first half when P-R stopped prep with about 1:30 to go and went down and scored. Prep got ball at beginning of second half and P-R held them 2 or 3 times in a row and got 2 more scores to go up 28-7. (I think)

I know that Prep had costly turnovers, but those cut both ways. P-R threw a pick on the 10 that would have been a walk in TD and then fumbled at the end of the game on the 5. They also fumbled on about the 20 on the first drive of the second half. The game probably ended up about like it should have.
I agree that the PR TD just before the half was huge. That really seemed to give PR a lift, understandably.

I obviously saw the game through the lenses of a SJP supporter, so I focus on the three lost opportunities in the first half, actually all in the first quarter. It looked to me that together they had a bit of a deflating impact. Everyone knew PR was good and had an especially talented QB who was going to get them some TDs. Thus, losing a fumble at the one, having a punt return for a TD called back, and having a receiver have a pass for a TD go right through his hands may have had a cumulative effect. I realize fro a PR perspective the fumble at the one was a result of a good hit by the PR Dback, the punt returner would have been tackled by the punter, and the missed pass is something that happens often.

One thing I didn't understand was the Prep's decision to defer when they won the coin toss. The only time I think that would make sense is if you're pretty confident that your defense is much stronger than the other team's offense and so think you'll be getting the ball back quickly in good field position.

To be clear, PR obviously was the better team. SJP has good reason to look forward to next year.

SJP has at least 3 OL back that will be one year more mature. P-R lived through playing 3 10th graders on the OL last year and its was not fun to watch. Huge difference between 16 and 17 IMO. And with the RB's and I understand a good QB, they will be right there. Probably versus Coatesville again?? SJP defense will always be good no matter what I think.

I think P-R will be very good again next year, especially on defense. But on offense they have to replace their top 7 skill players! But realistically, I think they will be gearing up for another big run in 2020.

SJP has at least 3 OL back that will be one year more mature. P-R lived through playing 3 10th graders on the OL last year and its was not fun to watch. Huge difference between 16 and 17 IMO. And with the RB's and I understand a good QB, they will be right there. Probably versus Coatesville again?? SJP defense will always be good no matter what I think.

I think P-R will be very good again next year, especially on defense. But on offense they have to replace their top 7 skill players! But realistically, I think they will be gearing up for another big run in 2020.

I’ve heard rumors for a few months of a big time transfer but those are just that, rumours. Regardless I think PR will compete next year with NA and PCC still, they have some solid skill guys waiting their turns and studs coming back from this years team. QB is the question mark, very good freshman not like jurkovec but a good athlete with a cannon for a arm only issue is size. The current freshman class is almost as good as jurkovecs grade so it will be interesting.

New, I misread your post thinking it said " it was hot fun" watching the young OL til the re-read Guess I need to go from 1.50s to 1.75s. Last year we heard their was another hot shot Qb in the pipe line? You hear that?
WAY too early (sounds silly to even say) but Neshaminy and Coatesville plus SJP sure look good. ChesL1 can check in but Dtown West returns some good stuff to a team that had their moments but no consistency with the youth.

P-R has the Spencer boy as the QB-in-waiting. Like Jacky said, he's got a strong arm an a great athlete. But is only about 5'8" 160lbs now.

I think he's the future, but like sophomore OL, sophomore QBs aren't always your best best to quick success.

P-R has the Spencer boy as the QB-in-waiting. Like Jacky said, he's got a strong arm an a great athlete. But is only about 5'8" 160lbs now.
I think he's the future, but like sophomore OL, sophomore QBs aren't always your best bet to quick success.

Ok new2pa....and thanks JACKY. Guess they'll roll him out more if that short. Hopefully he can run, or grow. And a program like PR's will have to serve as a magnet (or was already) after the notoriety developed by Jurko and overall success of the team and coach.

After DiNucci (DeVinney) and Jurkovec, you would think that any kid who moves to the area that is a QB would want to come to P-R.

I'm actually hearing crazy things about local kids that played (started) on other 6A teams moving to P-R. If that happens, its going to get interesting in the offseason....

There’s already a kid from PCC at PR that could play some next year. I’m not sure if Spencer is ready to start next year. Very raw and needs to grow a bit more. Jurkovec was different as a sophomore. With the 4 successful seasons PR has had (2 wpial titles, state title, wpial semi finals two years in a row) I think transfers like white are gonna start becoming more common. If the supposed transfer I’ve been hearing about ends up happening, it’s gonna be big and puts PR into contention again next year imo. Just rumours however.

The Spencer kid is a stud wrestler - the site that does state wrestling rankings had him as the best incoming freshman in AAA. Really fluid, really athletic, instincts are outstanding. A lot of that I'd assume translates to football. If he's got the arm strength described here, I'd imagine he'll be fine.

He also seems to have a frame that will get bigger - lanky, definitely not a grown men yet. Freshmen at 152 are often 195s by the end of their careers (unlike the Easton freshmen who excels in both sports and was in the same weight class last year with Spencer at JR high states, who is a brick house and about 5'6, he'll start at 160 and may be there as a senior).

Since we’re throwing words around loosely, I would define SOFT as last year’s PR team that collapsed….collapsed….with the loss of one key player.

Second point; calling ‘17 Wayne a national power speaks to an utter lack of understanding Buckeye ball. First you have to beat in-state powers Trotwood-Madison, Centerville and Pick North to even be in the conversation, not go 0-3 against them. But if you really want to be a bad ass, try on North Jersey for size, annually, not just an occasional foray into Ohio. Better yet, keep it in-state and play LaSalle. Wood and St. Joe’s with some regularity.

Stalker, I beg to differ with you. PR was not soft last year and they didn’t collapse. They did lose a couple of close games and a Shootout to PCC. But most of the players on last year’s team played in the state championship game. They didn’t go from Soft to State Champion in one year. That’s crazy.

Stalker, I beg to differ with you. PR was not soft last year and they didn’t collapse. They did lose a couple of close games and a Shootout to PCC. But most of the players on last year’s team played in the state championship game. They didn’t go from Soft to State Champion in one year. That’s crazy.

It was an exaggeration (losing to 4-6 Peters Twp wasn't), a response to the imbecilic post before it. You throw stones, some of us on this board are throwing them back. Everyone knows Coach K has made things exciting again at the highest classification in the Wpial.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT