ADVERTISEMENT

Prep-Pine Richland

Prior to coaching ,I remember Coach K as the QB for the North Hills team that beat CB West in the championship game in Altoona on a cold snowy night. I listened to the game on radio and He threw a winning pass to LaVar Arrington for the win. Yes,that LaVar Arrington. I always remembered his name because of that and he pops up at PR.Chess match coming between him and Infante.
I also think he had an interception to close it out too! He was a hard nosed player.

Wow I remember watching that game. I had no clue Coach K was the QB of that North Hills team! The final that day was 14-13, correct? North Hills was loaded, Arrington was so impressive.

Final was 15-14, K ran in the 2 pt conversion after throwing a pass to Feola for the TD to make it 14-13.

P-R made the state title game in AAA previously.

http://triblive.com/sports/hssports...football-reloads-readies-for-state-title-game

who are the kids from New York and Delaware? If Coach is going to make statements like this, he should at least have facts! PR will have the best player on the field at the most important position. They have been considered the favorite ALL year.

Curious. How many PR players other than the QB are FCS or FBS recruits? Is he the only one? A PR insider please produce a list, thanks.

Curious. How many PR players other than the QB are FCS or FBS recruits? Is he the only one? A PR insider please produce a list, thanks.

Besides jurkovec they have WR Raymond Falcone who is committed to Lehigh and WR Jason Defrancisis has a PWO from Pitt. Kenny White has an FBS offer from Iowa State and some other FCS offers as well and OL/DL Andrew Kristofic has about a dozen or so P5 offers right now including from Ohio State, pitt, and Wiscousin. He will be rated as one of the top players in the 2019 class. Junior LB tyler king has been getting D1 interest for a while still waiting on a school to pull the trigger. Also Jordan Crawford has a offer from a D2 school I believe.

Reactions: new2pa
Besides jurkovec they have WR Raymond Falcone who is committed to Lehigh and WR Jason Defrancisis has a PWO from Pitt. Kenny White has an FBS offer from Iowa State and some other FCS offers as well and OL/DL Andrew Kristofic has about a dozen or so P5 offers right now including from Ohio State, pitt, and Wiscousin. He will be rated as one of the top players in the 2019 class. Junior LB tyler king has been getting D1 interest for a while still waiting on a school to pull the trigger. Also Jordan Crawford has a offer from a D2 school I believe.

Ok. A lot of talent for a, "small, homegrown football team." Stars must have aligned at some point 16-17 years ago. They have as much, if not more raw talent as SJP, plus a QB going to a Top 15 program in the country. Enough with laying the groundwork for a convenient excuse, coach.

Reactions: roxychknpoxy
http://triblive.com/sports/hssports...football-reloads-readies-for-state-title-game

who are the kids from New York and Delaware? If Coach is going to make statements like this, he should at least have facts! PR will have the best player on the field at the most important position. They have been considered the favorite ALL year.

You have to wonder if the coach really believes this. But maybe the idea that "the privates" go hundreds of miles in every direction with pockets full of money to lure prospective players is a "necessary fiction" for a closed circle of people.

I remember watching the Prep-PR final a few years ago and the announcers seized on the fact that Ware lived in Delaware and then started conflating that fact into something much larger. Of course, they didn't mention that Ware was the only player on SJP from DE and that he grew up in Philly, let alone that what he was doing required an extraordinary effort on his part--and his mother's. On another board a poster recently got all excited that PIAA rings might have to be mailed to kids living in DE, NJ, and NY, but even the poster didn't go as far as to say that one school had players from four states.

It will be interesting to see, if P-R wins Saturday, whether the agitation for a separate "non-public" classification dies down somewhat.

Ok. A lot of talent for a, "small, homegrown football team." Stars must have aligned at some point 16-17 years ago. They have as much, if not more raw talent as SJP, plus a QB going to a Top 15 program in the country. Enough with laying the groundwork for a convenient excuse, coach.

forgot to mention thomas burns who was orginally committed to miami for football but is now committed there for track. Besides White and Burns these guys have all been going to PR since they were kids and have been playing together since they were kids. All of the coaches have known for years this team they were going to have was going to be special based off of youth leagues and middle school.

forgot to mention thomas burns who was orginally committed to miami for football but is now committed there for track. Besides White and Burns these guys have all been going to PR since they were kids and have been playing together since they were kids. All of the coaches have known for years this team they were going to have was going to be special based off of youth leagues and middle school.
I think its too bad coach K stated Prep players from New York and all over. This is how things get exaggerated . The next thing you know will be that the Prep has transfers from California.

I think its too bad coach K stated Prep players from New York and all over. This is how things get exaggerated . The next thing you know will be that the Prep has transfers from California.

I don't think he should've said that to press, true or not. I have my opinions on the private schools but I keep them to myself because the debate is just beating a dead horse at this point. I think a coach or someone said the same thing three years ago.

Your statement reminds me of a quote from my HS coach, Whitey Sullivan. (I am BLATANTLY pulling this from one of Ted Silary's old articles) He uttered perhaps the best quote in city scholastic sports history. After Cardinal Dougherty quarterback Andy Baratta, who went 6-3 1/2, 210, ran roughshod over Judge in 1978, Sullivan said, "That game was won 18 years ago in a bedroom in Olney." Olney was a feeder neighborhood for Cardinal Dougherty HS. Will Infante make the same type of comment after Saturday? I hope he doesn't have to...

He read it on the Internet, so it must be true

I'm sure they have. It happens. A good crop all at one time in a, "small, homegrown school." Someone should get a quote that PR has more D-1 players than SJP, including a top flight QB, and that SJP has no one from DE and NY on their team. Always one side of of the story told when it comes to this sort of thing.

Armen Ware was from DE, big deal? Solid HS player, who lived in Philly and moved towards the end of HS. He was a 6'0", 205-lb DL, more than likely an overachiever who was coached up. Yet, it's portrayed that some monster was recruited from the state of DE.

Not directed at you Jacky. Just using your post to make a point.

The private vs public thing will never die. I will confirm that PR is 98% kids that have played together since youth football. Can’t say the same for Prep I’m sure, as with PCC is Pittsburgh they pull top players from all surrounding school districts; that’s where the run is with the public schools. Every now and then you will get a public school that comes together at the right time but history will show you from looking at past PIAA champs that they can’t compete year in and year out with schools that have no boundaries for talent.

I think that the article has to be taken in a Western PA context. The homegrown comment was clear reference to the 2014 team that beat PCC. That's when the entire homegrown thing started. Then P-R played SJP - who did have out of state players. Honestly, comments like that are just what non-boundary schools have to deal with in PA. And from a WPIAL perspective, where many many transfers are not allowed, D12 and lots of the Eastern part of PA looks like the wild west.

If P-R beats SJP, the narrative will change from "all the privates win because they recruit" to "only with a generational talent can a public win." It will start over.

I for one see Public's like NA and P-R getting more and more into the transfer game. N-A had 3 or 4 and P-R had 2 this year. It seems like they are on a learning curve (all had kids that were initially ruled ineligible, only to be overturned by PIAA), and when they figure it all out, watch out. Some people say that privates can't compete with public school money - that could start to hold true in Western PA in 6A. Facilities, cost, coaching, etc. could quickly swing the pendulum in public's favor out here.

Last edited:
Reactions: JACKY6996
Cool. So, we can add that PR has more transfers on this team than SJP has.

That doesn’t make sense. Everyone on SJP is from another school district. They are all transfers.

Stop it. In these parts we classify “transfers” as a student that leaves one high school and attends another. A kid who makes a choice with their family as an 8th grader to attend a certain HS, then proceeds to stay there for 4 years leading to graduation is never classified as a transfer.

Reactions: MC1975
But he isn’t going to school in his district. That’s an advantage a public school does not have. Don’t use a fake made up definition to state a fake point.
Your position is absurd and shows a complete ignorance of history. You are assuming that students somehow belong to a school district. I am assuming that students belong to a family who from the time the child is about five make choices about where the child will go to school. When I and my classmates entered SJP in freshman year none of us were transfers, whether we came from Catholic elementary schools or public schools. In the last 20 years or so Catholic secondary schools (SJP, PCC, West Catholic, ECP,etc.) have been admitting and being sought out by students (the great majority of whom are not athletes, who are not Catholics). This has widened the pool, which would be objectionable only if it were being widened for athletes only.

You couldn’t be more wrong. Top athletes seek out programs like SJP especially when the team in their district is bad. Under your logic a kid living in Pine Twp can enroll at Mt Lebanon if he likes that school and football program better. It isn’t allowed. So yes, kids are confined to their district unless parents want to move or they elect to go to a private school. It’s not really that difficult to understand. Why are you having such a difficult time.

But he isn’t going to school in his district. That’s an advantage a public school does not have. Don’t use a fake made up definition to state a fake point.

Nothing is fake. We all get the definitions of boundary and non-boundary schools. A kid who chooses to go to the same high school for 4 years and then graduates from that high school isn’t a “transfer” student. People understand being able to attract a student from a wide ranging area is an advantage. However, it’s also an advantage to not have to attract potential students and i just have them fall into your lap. Its also an advantage to be free. It’s also an advantage to have a stadium on campus, a practice field on campus, have a high-end weightroom, and additional facilities. To have multiple paid coaches, many who work in the building. It’s also advantage to have kids coming from stable socioeconomic backgrounds not worrying about welhere their next meal is coming from.

Hey, let’s acknowledge the advantages and disadvantages because they most certainly exist, but let’s acknowledge all of them. Not just the one that fits our individual agendas.

I have no agenda and am looking forward to a good game. But to split hairs on what a transfer is is ridiculous. Has nothing to do with transfers. I️t has everything to do with having your choice of
Kids that live anywhere vs a small township.
Someone else used he word transfer, I did not.

Reactions: halefleet
Your statement reminds me of a quote from my HS coach, Whitey Sullivan. (I am BLATANTLY pulling this from one of Ted Silary's old articles) He uttered perhaps the best quote in city scholastic sports history. After Cardinal Dougherty quarterback Andy Baratta, who went 6-3 1/2, 210, ran roughshod over Judge in 1978, Sullivan said, "That game was won 18 years ago in a bedroom in Olney." Olney was a feeder neighborhood for Cardinal Dougherty HS. Will Infante make the same type of comment after Saturday? I hope he doesn't have to...

This is my favorite quote of all time. Catholic league had some real characters as coaches who could said some witty things in print and guys like Ted would ask hey can I use that. Answer was typically yes.

Second favorite one was Sam Dermigy who was St James Coach way back. He coached a bunch of different spots. Upon his last game at one of his last stops (i think penncrest) a reporter asked if this was it or would consider coming back for the right job. Sam deapanned, “At this point in my career about the only place I’d like to coach would be an orphanage”. Went on to MC all catholic banquets for next 20 years.

Reactions: Aragorn
In the wpial you have 6A schools with enrollment over 1100 playing schools with enrollment of 580. That’s unfair to most as well. My point is if you look at a school like PCC , it’s made up of kids for all other suburban schools districts. Just so happens that it’s always that districts top players. Hmmm

Reactions: halefleet
I have no agenda and am looking forward to a good game. But to split hairs on what a transfer is is ridiculous. Has nothing to do with transfers. I️t has everything to do with having your choice of
You said the SJP players are "all transfers." No one else has made such a false claim.

In the wpial you have 6A schools with enrollment over 1100 playing schools with enrollment of 580. That’s unfair to most as well. My point is if you look at a school like PCC , it’s made up of kids for all other suburban schools districts. Just so happens that it’s always that districts top players. Hmmm
I don't know about PCC but in the case of SJP the players come from the same areas as all the other students come from. About 20% of the Prep's students come from Jersey, and about 20% of those who play football come from Jersey. Roughly the same is true of Chester County, Bucks County, etc.

Are they playing for schools in the districts they live in? Done. Point made. Answer is no. Public’s don’t have that option.
Are you suggesting that Wood should be able to draw only students who live in Warminster? Of course they wouldn't survive. And what about public schools in Philadelphia? There are--I'm estimating--well over 100,000 high school age kids who can go to any school in the city. By your reasoning all those schools have a huge and unfair advantage over all the other public schools in the state, but of course that would be taking a very narrow view.

So in your preferred world, would P-R and SJP be playing each other this weekend or would they be playing separate classifications?

Don't take my comments as all being directed towards you. Many are general comments. Tho, I disagree with your definition of "transfer" students as used here.

I just took a gander at P-R HS via satellite. Quite the sprawling campus. And I don't begrudge them, but do you how many 6A inner city schools can boast such a thing? Few, if any. Is that not an advantage? But that doesn't count? Not part of the conversation.

Again, we agree that not having a boundary is an advantage. Just understand that advantages and disadvantages come in many forms. I never here a public school supporter recognize this.

Tulla:
You are 100% correct about public schools in Philadelphia too. If a coach is willing to work his butt off, go to all 4 corners of the city and give a convincing sales pitch to a 15 yr old kid that if you come play football for me you will play for state titles and have a chance at a college scholarship, you can easily build a powerhouse with nothing standing in your way. Isnt this the Imhotep model for success?

Up at Hershey now watching the Middletown-QV game, if this weather continues I expect it to help PR. I know that may seem counterintuitive; however, hear me out. There isn't much wind. Additionally, with the snow causing a slick playing surface, it can often help passing games. Simply, WRs know where they are going and DBs must react, which is difficult in these conditions and often results in slips/falls. I expect a lot of big plays in the passing game.

It could work the other way, just my two cents.

Up at Hershey now watching the Middletown-QV game, if this weather continues I expect it to help PR. I know that may seem counterintuitive; however, hear me out. There isn't much wind. Additionally, with the snow causing a slick playing surface, it can often help passing games. Simply, WRs know where they are going and DBs must react, which is difficult in these conditions and often results in slips/falls. I expect a lot of big plays in the passing game.

It could work the other way, just my two cents.
Not sure which team this weather will help or hurt. Too bad. I was hoping for a dry field and a high scoring affair like the last time these two played. Lets at least hope for a competitive game. Go Hawks.

I guess SJP needs to recruit harder. Start at QB. Horrible. If that team scored 52 last week the completion in the east must be absolutely horrible. They not only got outplayed, they were stunned by the physical nature of PR. They were hit hard and often and had no answer but to fumble. SOFT!

I guess SJP needs to recruit harder. Start at QB. Horrible. If that team scored 52 last week the completion in the east must be absolutely horrible. They not only got outplayed, they were stunned by the physical nature of PR. They were hit hard and often and had no answer but to fumble. SOFT!
LOL - PR won, played hard and had ball bounce there way. Funny how guys like you complain about "recruiting", but turn around and use it as same excuse for a loss?
As far as the East, PR should schedule some teams from there for open dates or try scheduling some of the nationals to prove their power now. Funny, it was one game and one season, looking forward to next year.

You obviously don’t follow. PR has played two national powers from Ohio for two straight years.
Joes was SOFT

You obviously don’t follow. PR has played two national powers from Ohio for two straight years.
Joes was SOFT
That's funny! You obviously don't follow St. Joseph Prep football As stated above it was one game. Pine Richland played better. PERIOD. SOFT, yeah ok if you say so. Your guys won so you can crow.

I won't hold your short term memory against you. Sounds like you were only in middle school for St. Joe's recent championship wins.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT