ADVERTISEMENT

Prep 21-0 1st Q

Mercy ruled by the half. I did call sjp winning but not like this. Sjp is young, was going to get better every game, and defence wins championships. All the top teams in 6A going down this week. I can see Pittsburgh central Catholic knocking off Mt Lebo next week. That game is very similar to the sjp/LaSalle game. It's hard to beat Pcc twice, they get better every week and the heart of their team is thier defense. Anything can happen come November December.

Reactions: Bighead75
Having been critical of the Prep coaches after the first LaSalle game, I have to say they certainly had the team prepared for this one. Great job!

This game will likely mean a lot for the seasons beyond this one.

LaSalle was out coached today. Prep is very young and got better every game. Hat's off to SJP coaching staff.

I thought this game would be a lot different. From watching, it looked like sjp staff said shut down brown and Moore and force someone else to beat us. Tons of pressure on lasalle’s qb. What was surprising from the game was lasalle staying with the run down 28 early. Qb not even on the field. Also, after watching sjp last few games I thought this game would be closer. Like mentioned before they squeaked by judge and was down 8 in the 4th to wood. Looks like some guys are healthy now. I did see the sophomore qb running around in warm ups. Washington role increased this wk and he added a score. Barlow had a few nice runs today.
Midseason I picked sjp to skip a yr in the states due to experience, but I was wrong. If things match up right they could win a few games.
Tip my hat to the kids at lasalle. This season was still a great season for them. 1 loss regular season which they revenged. Beat sjp for the first time for this senior class. PCL red chip. Kudos to them !!!!!!

Reactions: Bighead75
Wow!! Just wow!! Not only does this game settle a few things about where things stand but how it's gonna look for some time. Apparently by all accounts this team is young. Talented, but young. Well the way they went about taking care of business will build their confidence and will pay dividends down the road.

On a side note, their was no article about the game in the Sunday Inquirer. That doesn't seem right. 2 old Philly schools, for a championship, at a venerable stadium??

Wow!! Just wow!! Not only does this game settle a few things about where things stand but how it's gonna look for some time. Apparently by all accounts this team is young. Talented, but young. Well the way they went about taking care of business will build their confidence and will pay dividends down the road.

On a side note, their was no article about the game in the Sunday Inquirer. That doesn't seem right. 2 old Philly schools, for a championship, at a venerable stadium??
Paul,

The Inquirer hasn't had anything about high school sports for about a year. I subscribed online for a while--being out of the area--but it's about the worst of the websites of big city newspapers: ads everywhere, a tabloid format, no book section, no opinion pieces worth reading, no high school sports and Johnny Doc morning, noon, and night !!! My subscription ends in two weeks.

The game may well entrench in people's minds the sense that the two programs are just on different levels. In a year when the Prep has relatively--I know some will scoff at the term but it's true--thin senior and junior classes and has had some key injuries and when LaSalle has quite a talented senior class you get a tight regular season game that LaSalle wins and a major blowout in the playoffs that the Prep wins.

Last year there were a bunch of freshman who suited up for the varsity but this year there are only two (Sacca and West). Not sure what to make of that, but I have a hunch next year's freshman class will be a strong one.

Right now the Prep has a particular abundance of good young running backs: Phillips, Sanchez, and West. They've also got three very good sophomore receivers (Washington, Jones, and Rehmann) and two maybe less talented but also very good junior receivers (Garwood) and DiTrolio). Do some of them move to defense next year?

I agree, the Philadelphia Inquirer has drop the ball when it comes to high school sport in the city.

Paul,

The Inquirer hasn't had anything about high school sports for about a year. I subscribed online for a while--being out of the area--but it's about the worst of the websites of big city newspapers: ads everywhere, a tabloid format, no book section, no opinion pieces worth reading, no high school sports and Johnny Doc morning, noon, and night !!! My subscription ends in two weeks.

The game may well entrench in people's minds the sense that the two programs are just on different levels. In a year when the Prep has relatively--I know some will scoff at the term but it's true--thin senior and junior classes and has had some key injuries and when LaSalle has quite a talented senior class you get a tight regular season game that LaSalle wins and a major blowout in the playoffs that the Prep wins.

Last year there were a bunch of freshman who suited up for the varsity but this year there are only two (Sacca and West). Not sure what to make of that, but I have a hunch next year's freshman class will be a strong one.

Right now the Prep has a particular abundance of good young running backs: Phillips, Sanchez, and West. They've also got three very good sophomore receivers (Washington, Jones, and Rehmann) and two maybe less talented but also very good junior receivers (Garwood) and DiTrolio). Do some of them move to defense next year?
What is the status of their ol and dl lines ?

What is the status of their ol and dl lines ?
I think they have a 2 seniors on OL and 2 on DL. Don’t see an issue with either. DL rotates with sophomores and watching warmups they have a few nice size kids. 76 I believe who’s a junior is listed at 6’7 plays some as an extra linemen.

Just read they’ll return everyone on offense except an OL. Defense return all but Safety and a defensive linemen.
We always hear about the skill position players ,but rarely about the line man who no doubt make it all happen. Thanks for the information and sure hope they take the states again. Separately, the inquirer has disappointed so many high school followers in lieu of highlighting foreign players in various sports. Im not opposed to their coverage of this .but OMG give our local kids some press. Its an embarrassment to the city.

Just read they’ll return everyone on offense except an OL. Defense return all but Safety and a defensive linemen.
They'll be losing a bit more than that. Two OL starters (Harris and Treadway) will be graduating as will Bunch and Barlow (though the latter has been limited by injury). Plus, Picariello, a senior, started at TE before taking over as QB. And of course they lose Chadha. On defense they lose Nelson as a DB and both Klick and Daly on the D-line.

They'll be losing a bit more than that. Two OL starters (Harris and Treadway) will be graduating as will Bunch and Barlow (though the latter has been limited by injury). Plus, Picariello, a senior, started at TE before taking over as QB. And of course they lose Chadha. On defense they lose Nelson as a DB and both Klick and Daly on the D-line.
Yeah I didn’t count Barlow and bunch bc I think the true starter this yr was Phillips. Although losing a senior in any capacity is huge. Woods is a sophomore TE who played all season. Supposedly the DT after Daly already holds power 5 offers as a sophomore.

I have to admit that I was very surprised by this margin of victory. Save the Roman letdown, La Salle has looked solid in almost every aspect of the game all season long. I did give the Prep a slight edge in the rematch, but I thought it would be much closer and that the Prep defense would keep them in it and Jones would be too tough to contain all game and would serve as the difference maker. Hats off to the defense, Great Dane, and Barlow/Bunch/Phillips, who all played tremendously. The defense setting the tone early made a huge difference and Picariello is playing with more and more confidence in Jones’ absence (reminiscent of Cooper taking over for the injured McCord in 2019).

I know that I am stating the obvious, but replacing Chadha will likely have a bigger impact than most would anticipate. Tulla rightfully pointed out that we haven’t seen as many big special teams plays on their own kickoff and punt returns for this Pepe team as in year’s past, which many times served as a back-breaker for opponents in some games that may have been tight early on. This year, I would guess that they’ve had a higher percentage of drives starting inside their own 35 than in years past. Couple that with more 3 and outs as they worked out the passing game early on and you had more competitive games this year.

Depending on the strength of the leg of Chadha’s replacement, the Prep may miss the practically automatic negating of dangerous returns creating short fields for other teams. Not having to worry much about special teams returns and putting the opponents’ starting drives in their territory for most of the game has been a big boost to the defense and gave the Prep an edge in the field advantage battle in most games. No doubt that the Prep will have enough talent to overcome it if the kicking game does drop considerably, but that area of the game has been a huge luxury for them in the Chadha era.

I have to admit that I was very surprised by this margin of victory. Save the Roman letdown, La Salle has looked solid in almost every aspect of the game all season long. I did give the Prep a slight edge in the rematch, but I thought it would be much closer and that the Prep defense would keep them in it and Jones would be too tough to contain all game and would serve as the difference maker. Hats off to the defense, Great Dane, and Barlow/Bunch/Phillips, who all played tremendously. The defense setting the tone early made a huge difference and Picariello is playing with more and more confidence in Jones’ absence (reminiscent of Cooper taking over for the injured McCord in 2019).

I know that I am stating the obvious, but replacing Chadha will likely have a bigger impact than most would anticipate. Tulla rightfully pointed out that we haven’t seen as many big special teams plays on their own kickoff and punt returns for this Pepe team as in year’s past, which many times served as a back-breaker for opponents in some games that may have been tight early on. This year, I would guess that they’ve had a higher percentage of drives starting inside their own 35 than in years past. Couple that with more 3 and outs as they worked out the passing game early on and you had more competitive games this year.

Depending on the strength of the leg of Chadha’s replacement, the Prep may miss the practically automatic negating of dangerous returns creating short fields for other teams. Not having to worry much about special teams returns and putting the opponents’ starting drives in their territory for most of the game has been a big boost to the defense and gave the Prep an edge in the field advantage battle in most games. No doubt that the Prep will have enough talent to overcome it if the kicking game does drop considerably, but that area of the game has been a huge luxury for them in the Chadha era.
Without a doubt losing chadha will be huge. I believe he’s a 4 yr starter. A position that’s very important but commonly overlooked. With a strong returning class I can see sjp making their initials games national next yr. A strong kicking game will be needed.

Reactions: scs13 and Bighead75
We always hear about the skill position players ,but rarely about the line man who no doubt make it all happen. Thanks for the information and sure hope they take the states again. Separately, the inquirer has disappointed so many high school followers in lieu of highlighting foreign players in various sports. Im not opposed to their coverage of this .but OMG give our local kids some press. Its an embarrassment to the city.
Sunday I was critical of the Phila. Inquirer for not highlighting local players , and now today they posted an article about one of my favorite PCL players Eric Gardner from Archbishop Wood formerly from McDevitt. I was premature LOL.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT