ADVERTISEMENT

Pine-Richland 2023

I'm guessing the Palmiere mold was broken/destroyed not be seen again for another decade per his graduation and uniqueness. Also, do they have to have a 'stud' Qb with all the surrounding talent....or just a figure of speech?
They must have some kid that can step and be a decent Qb.
stalk- good question about the "stud qb" idea. We all know it's time to move on, but just so crazy, how consistent the program was, devlopeing very good "stud" qbs, for 10 years, 2011 to 2021, from 8th /9th grade they developed qbs, 4 of which went on to become all-conference or all-state, 4 kids who went on to become division one athletes, Dinucci, Jurkovec, Spencer, Boyd. Boyd would have multi-year starter if not Spencer being only one year ahead of him. Little EK would have been #5.

They do have a couple good younger kids but PR has no one solid in grades 10, 11 or 12. Just crazy- PR now has it's #4 QB coach in 4 years. They have like 3 more 7-7s left, after that time, if no one steps up my best guess is they try to re-create a new wildcat "version" of Palmieri 2.0.

Reactions: Stalker
I'm guessing the Palmiere mold was broken/destroyed not be seen again for another decade per his graduation and uniqueness. Also, do they have to have a 'stud' Qb with all the surrounding talent....or just a figure of speech?
They must have some kid that can step and be a decent Qb.

I'm sure they can find a "decent" QB - but the lineage since 2011 is DiNucci (Gatorade PoY), Jurkovec (Gatorade PoY), Spencer (2x 5A PoY), Boyd, Palmeiri (5A PoY).

I'm not sure they can win big with just a decent kid.

Also, no one can compare to Jurkovec but he barely played half the year in 2017 and was a 4000/1200 kid. Had he played the entire game, it would have been ridiculous.

(SORRY - posted this before I saw 2020 post).

Reactions: Soup13
I'm sure they can find a "decent" QB - but the lineage since 2011 is DiNucci (Gatorade PoY), Jurkovec (Gatorade PoY), Spencer (2x 5A PoY), Boyd, Palmeiri (5A PoY).

I'm not sure they can win big with just a decent kid.

Also, no one can compare to Jurkovec but he barely played half the year in 2017 and was a 4000/1200 kid. Had he played the entire game, it would have been ridiculous.

(SORRY - posted this before I saw 2020 post).
2020Sports, new2pa. Good history and reminders on the great Q-backing at PR over the years.

I'm used to seeing teams in D3/6 go far with un-studly Qbs (CD, Wilson, SC). They are more than simple 'game managers' where the term tends to diminish their value but that's the phrase oft used. Particularly Central Dauphin. But as 2020 mentioned, sometimes you hit a dry well-talent dip as CD has the last two years where the guys just weren't there!
Over the years, both CD and Wilson got a lot of mileage from guys that had high IQ, could get it down field when needed and-or run well. When all 3 come together (tho not PR level Qbs) they do well. Real well.
But an important caveat to this is defense is prioritized and special teams for sure at CD. You combine those characteristics and you can get away with a lesser QB.

Reactions: new2pa
Niko Andrews, one of P-R's promising receivers from last year, has transferred to North Catholic. I guess this happened after the school year ended.

Niko Andrews, one of P-R's promising receivers from last year, has transferred to North Catholic. I guess this happened after the school year ended.
this kid, Andrews, and family were very loyal to the EK staff, if not for tough WPIAL transfer rules, he would have been at Mars, maybe last year. Word is, he "tried" to transfer to Mars and also PCC, but could not, for nebulous reasons. He's good, not sure great though. And, he has made it known he "planned" to to transfer to PCC- Coach Ledonne did not like that too much!!

Well, summer is half over- and still some stuff unclear on PR. Line is big, im concerned about center. And QB- crazy, still 3 guys in the mix, maybe 4. They still have 3 more 7v7s so maybe after that it would be mostly settled.

this kid, Andrews, and family were very loyal to the EK staff, if not for tough WPIAL transfer rules, he would have been at Mars, maybe last year. Word is, he "tried" to transfer to Mars and also PCC, but could not, for nebulous reasons. He's good, not sure great though. And, he has made it known he "planned" to to transfer to PCC- Coach Ledonne did not like that too much!!

Well, summer is half over- and still some stuff unclear on PR. Line is big, im concerned about center. And QB- crazy, still 3 guys in the mix, maybe 4. They still have 3 more 7v7s so maybe after that it would be mostly settled.
I had heard same thing about Andrews, except PCC was probably wishful thinking on his part.

They need to find a QB! When do they 7v7? May try and run over.

“Promising” is a bit of stretch. He started every game last year and was an afterthought in the passing game after gelly and mellis. They obviously were run heavy but it seemed like he dropped way more passes than actually catching. Personally thought with the mars bs last year they only played him just to try to appease him and parents. He wouldn’t even start at PCC, and will have an uphill battle for eligibility as well. Probably better to just keep the kids around that actually want to be there and contribute. The grass isn’t always greener.

“Promising” is a bit of stretch. He started every game last year and was an afterthought in the passing game after gelly and mellis. They obviously were run heavy but it seemed like he dropped way more passes than actually catching. Personally thought with the mars bs last year they only played him just to try to appease him and parents. He wouldn’t even start at PCC, and will have an uphill battle for eligibility as well. Probably better to just keep the kids around that actually want to be there and contribute. The grass isn’t always greener.
jacky- you are hilarious- and "spot on"

Andrews is a decent athlete, but really seems to devote more energy to Twitter than being a good athlete. Most PR kids and families, while not thrilled, managed to "move on" mentally after Kasper and staff were pushed out- this kid did not really "move on" very well. What screwed him up is he was "buddies" with little EK, and "played varsity" in '21, 9th grade with EK, but did not really "play." Not that he was really that great, but he really did not develop cuz of that- did not even play JV. Who knows, maybe he will be decent at North Catholic. And last year- did not really outrun or run thru anybody- not really a "playmaker."

new- regarding 7v7s, they play in a "league" on Wednesdays evenings, the schedule looks like the next thing is Beaver Falls is "hosting" on July 13 at Geneva College, then July 20, PR and two other teams play at Seneca Valley- then it looks like PR is having some some kind of "tournament" on July 14- all day, 1 to 9- not sure what teams are coming but that will be interesting. Times are on website, "varsity calendar."

News from the Holiday - line is big, but unclear if they are more than that - big. (Besides Cory). Skill is a question all the way around, except maybe LB. QB is as 2020 says. Andrews == good riddance.

Chatter is that this is the first group of non-Coach-K kids, so people are in a wait and see mode.

This is not P-R related, but rather WPIAL 5A. Penn Hills QB commits to Pitt.

The latest I heard was about 6 weeks ago and that Huffman was the QB. He was also the starter at the beginning of last year. I also heard that Coach LeDonne is telling people they are going to line up under center and run the ball with Pillar. They have Cory and a bunch of big lineman. I think that will be good for them, but with a schedule that includes Pickerington (OH), NA, PCC, and PH, I think regular season could have a few losses.

The latest I heard was about 6 weeks ago and that Huffman was the QB. He was also the starter at the beginning of last year. I also heard that Coach LeDonne is telling people they are going to line up under center and run the ball with Pillar. They have Cory and a bunch of big lineman. I think that will be good for them, but with a schedule that includes Pickerington (OH), NA, PCC, and PH, I think regular season could have a few losses.
The frosh, Strader is the best QB. But probably gonna start w Huffman, then work in the frosh- he might be the full time starter by the first section game. 7-7s have not gonna great, cuz Huffman is not very good. Also, several kids have quit or left, so things are a little shaky with roster and depth. Sure is not the organized system it used to be.

Bummer - my question as well.

2020 - starting a freshman QB who just moved in will be interesting.

Bummer - my question as well.

2020 - starting a freshman QB who just moved in will be interesting.
New- yes, a 9th grade QB1 will be interesting- that along w several other things has really made some people mad. Only one other kid in the last 10 years has been a full time starter as a frosh- just not the way the "PR program" has worked. But, this is kinda LeDonne's pattern, I dont know the details, but he likes great young athletes there- Hollis Mathis and then Julian Duggar were both kids that LeDonne started young.

In terms of kids leaving and quitting- a few are unclear- attendance has not been great in summer, lots of kids missing practices and workouts- in April, the roster included like 90 kids in 9-12- attendance has ranged between 40-50 most days- so really hard to say- will be interesting to see the full roster.

I'd rather not call all of the kids out by name, but here are some of the more "known names" that are not secret: Spencer, Andrews, Henry, Beam. All could have been starters, or played a lot. Lots of kids have been missing workouts for club lacrosse and baseball. So, some "maybes" might still play, just not sure yet.

Reactions: new2pa and bummer01
This kid better be good to start as a true freshman - and recent transfer to P-R.

The most shocking thing is kids missing summer. I don’t recall ever hearing that was an issue. If they win, no big deal I guess.

Just watched the Pickering north game tonight on stream, pr’s definitely looking like they’re gonna get smoked next week lol. Their stud qb is back from last year and according to broadcast OSU RB commit transferred in. He had a huge game and looks like a stud to me. The game ended up being close but the Cincinnati elder team they played had some talent as well. They’ve got a Big Athletic O line, athletes all around and probably 100 kids on their sideline. Just looking into them this past week they seem to have a variety of kids getting D1 offers as well.

What’s crazy to me is last year they were probably the best all around team PR played all year and they went 7-5 after and lost in first round of Ohio state playoffs! I think outside of sjp Ohio hs football probably has alot more quality teams and depth. Some of these program’s youth to hs like both the pickerington schools are just huge and on a whole another level compared to what we have in the wpial or around.

Reactions: lilromeo
Just watched the Pickering north game tonight on stream, pr’s definitely looking like they’re gonna get smoked next week lol. Their stud qb is back from last year and according to broadcast OSU RB commit transferred in. He had a huge game and looks like a stud to me. The game ended up being close but the Cincinnati elder team they played had some talent as well. They’ve got a Big Athletic O line, athletes all around and probably 100 kids on their sideline. Just looking into them this past week they seem to have a variety of kids getting D1 offers as well.

What’s crazy to me is last year they were probably the best all around team PR played all year and they went 7-5 after and lost in first round of Ohio state playoffs! I think outside of sjp Ohio hs football probably has alot more quality teams and depth. Some of these program’s youth to hs like both the pickerington schools are just huge and on a whole another level compared to what we have in the wpial or around.
wow- ugh- not sounding good for PR. Scrimmage today- not good. Vs Lebo- sloppy, shaky qb, shaky o-line, Lbs did not look great. Technically varsity "won" 7 to 3, but Lebo is not very impressive. Lebo missed some very open throws. Our qbs- the freshman looked better than the senior. If this PN team is betetr than last year- yipes- its gonna be ugly!!

Jacky- yea, my guess is overall, football in Ohio is bigger, overall than PA- likely not a coincidence that Big33 is no longer Ohio

Reactions: Stalker
If heard that besides Cory, OL is very big but not a ton of experience.

No surprise on QB.

If heard that besides Cory, OL is very big but not a ton of experience.

No surprise on QB.
new- yes huge, maybe biggest in 10 years- biggest, not best. Really miss having a good Center- we were spoiled with like Dorundo and Kerns being the-guy, for most of like 6 out of the last 7 years.

Some hope- first game- Ohio team won like 35-32, so if we play good defense, might be respectable. But man- just so crazy to see how much better the old staff prepared kids- better technique, so much more organized. Yes, it really shows seeing no kids coached under old staff.

And LeDonne is great in many ways- but his staff is kinda rag-tag, and too much turnover, constantly having new coaches come in with different ideas and philosophy. I was skeptical about their success last year- and i was wrong- but right now, I'd put PR at 5-3 heading into Woody game- the loser possibly out of playoff race.

Sure will be fascinating to see which "half-fired-staff" from PR goes further- Mars or PCC!!!

new- yes huge, maybe biggest in 10 years- biggest, not best. Really miss having a good Center- we were spoiled with like Dorundo and Kerns being the-guy, for most of like 6 out of the last 7 years.

Some hope- first game- Ohio team won like 35-32, so if we play good defense, might be respectable. But man- just so crazy to see how much better the old staff prepared kids- better technique, so much more organized. Yes, it really shows seeing no kids coached under old staff.

And LeDonne is great in many ways- but his staff is kinda rag-tag, and too much turnover, constantly having new coaches come in with different ideas and philosophy. I was skeptical about their success last year- and i was wrong- but right now, I'd put PR at 5-3 heading into Woody game- the loser possibly out of playoff race.

Sure will be fascinating to see which "half-fired-staff" from PR goes further- Mars or PCC!!!
Was checking on Pickerington North (thought might play Harrisburg) to see they graduated 26 seniors but still return good #s on offense from a relatively young group last year. At 7-5, they lost to rival Pick Cent by 7 and 1 points plus a weird loss to Westerville Central (5-7 42-15). They return at least 4 linemen by my count, R. Lahr 6-2 255, Ayden Annarino 6-3 280, Angelo McCullom (1st team all-league) 6-3 270 and TE P Schultz 5-11 200 (13-286py). Believe Matt Castaneda 5-10 235 just plays D. At 57-11 the last 5 years, Central is the real power in Pickerington; North is 34-20, 1-6 vs Central the last 5 years. Wasn't sure which team Harrisburg was rumored to play.
North graduated their record setting Rb but still return Mike Taylor 91-571, Dorian Hamilton 53-241 and all receivers led by Preston Bowman 61-754 and Chris Louis 37-371 and Derek Ross 30-414. Qb Landon O'Connell (6-4, 220) back for sr year at 65%-2194 and 15/4 ratio last year. They must have really come together to go into a hotbed like Cincinnati and defeat Elder last week. Pretty skimpy info working on a write up til learned Cougars weren't playing either team this year.

Stalk, I believe an Ohio State-bound RB transferred into Pick North this year.

Pr down 21-0 at half. Turnovers and execution have killed them in what was otherwise a pretty tight game starting off. They’re pretty overmatched athletically as well. Gonna need to score coming out of the break to keep this thing interesting

After that last TD drive by the freshman, I seriously have to wonder how you even justify playing Huffman at all, especially after last year. That frosh looks legit.

Got an NFHS password and watched P-R vs. Pickerington North.

The Good: Their DL is pretty good. OL is also good.

The Bad: Besides #44, they have no skill players on O or D at all that can consistently make plays against that level of competition (i.e. Good).

The Ugly: QB play leaves a lot to be desired. Huffman was average and the young kid #1 isn't ready based on his stature and how he moves and his throwing motion is very weird. 180 degree change from historical. The ran wildcat with 44 and some other kid at least 1/2 the time.

But, because of OL/DL play, I fully expect them to compete for a WPIAL title for sure. Maybe the whole thing. But this is not an elite team.

Reactions: JACKY6996

The Bad: Besides #44, they have no skill players on O or D at all that can consistently make plays against that level of competition (i.e. Good).

The Ugly: QB play leaves a lot to be desired. Huffman was average and the young kid #1 isn't ready based on his stature and how he moves and his throwing motion is very weird. 180 degree change from historical. The ran wildcat with 44 and some other kid at least 1/2 the time.

But, because of OL/DL play, I fully expect them to compete for a WPIAL title for sure. Maybe the whole thing. But this is not an elite team.
they matched PN better than last year, but we will see, in about 9 days, when they face Penn Hills. There is a lot of organizational problem w the team and coaching, will be amazing if LeDonne can get them near the top of wpial

• Wow
2020; Have to ask. What does "organizational problem" mean?
phew- well i will try to not get too detailed or personal w kids- and some of these things might be minor growing pains, but...

-4th QB coach in 4 years- making the QB decision more difficult
-some new kids have joined, so roster # will be similar- but since April- about 10 kids have quit- some of who could have been starters- variety of reasons- but never heard of that many before
-they decided to get rid of 9th grade team- some confusion and grumbling- not sure good or bad yet- but seems weird, having enough #s

It's disappointing coming to realize after a lot of denial that Ohio, FL and some others play better football than we do. Pisses me off even saying that. But some of these Ohio and Florida schools, and I'm not talking "Privates" are clearly better like Pick North even in a rebuild. They look different! And the Privates like St. Ed's look like very few teams we see here. Collectively, some of these teams brings to mind the statement......."something in the water," etc, etc.
About Pine, with your OL, you can likely play a lot of smash mouth well into the season (postseason??) until running into a good defense with a pass attack.

Side note: startled how easily Lebo beat Gateway?

It's disappointing coming to realize after a lot of denial that Ohio, FL and some others play better football than we do. Pisses me off even saying that. But some of these Ohio and Florida schools, and I'm not talking "Privates" are clearly better like Pick North even in a rebuild. They look different! And the Privates like St. Ed's look like very few teams we see here. Collectively, some of these teams brings to mind the statement......."something in the water," etc, etc.
About Pine, with your OL, you can likely play a lot of smash mouth well into the season (postseason??) until running into a good defense with a pass attack.

Side note: startled how easily Lebo beat Gateway?
Lebo coming differently this year. I’m honestly afraid

Stalk: Correct on your assessment of national talent as well as P-R playing smash mouth football. Penn Hills may be that team.

Tiger: I was shocked Lebo beat Gateway that bad. Gateway has always had skill, but line play hurts them. But, you don’t have anything to worry about as an NA fan when you play Lebo. Worry about PCC.

PR- big game today- Penn Hills with a good RB and Duggar- QB Pitt recruit- i was skeptical a month ago- but we only lost by 5 last yr, and PR has a few things more set now, than 1 year ago, gonna be a close game- IF we pull this off tonight- might mean we go far- the coaches have a few things new planned- from what i hear, gonna be a good night of football!!

Except they didn't...

What did P-R do new?
Pretty much nothing. Agiro is a stud kicker though. It wouldn't surprise me if he went D-I. Luckily, it should be easy sledding the rest of the conference slate besides Woodland Hills.

BTW, I think it's time for Gateway to get rid of Don Holl. Typical underachieving as always.

I thought pines line would have been the difference maker

The best player on the field was from Penn Hills, and honestly he might be the best player in WPIAL

Pretty much nothing. Agiro is a stud kicker though. It wouldn't surprise me if he went D-I. Luckily, it should be easy sledding the rest of the conference slate besides Woodland Hills.

BTW, I think it's time for Gateway to get rid of Don Holl. Typical underachieving as always.
Gateway is terrible. I thought they had a p5 QB??? 15 points through 3 games?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT