Pine-Richland 2021

Next up

SV
PCC
uSC
Gateway

0-5 is real.

But team is behind the coaches. Right.
complete joke, embarrassing, PR will never play imotep, PR will never make is out of wpial, unprepared, poorly coached, too many mistakes- 2 times PR put 10 guys on the field, an 8 year old kid watching the game could see that was stupid- BTW- i was messing w Details last week, i was KIDDING when i agreed w him/her- i disagree w most of he/she says. The only reason the "press" writes "nice articles" about PR, is because PR had great coaching and a great program last year, and won the friggin state title, NOT because the current coaches are doing a good job, cuz they are not. There are 2 or 3 assistant coaches working hard and doing their best, but only one assistant has ever done this before, the rest are clueless, so is the head coach. He has never been a head coach for a successful high school program, and to my knowledge has never won a championship at any level, in 40 years.

Reactions: new2pa
I believe the "devil is in the details" of both lines being coached by one position coach. You can not work on assignments and teach both sides of the ball at the same time.

Hopefully they will get it figured out. The team is talented for sure, just not quite getting what they need with eyes on execution and relief players.

Never coached and won't criticize at that level but wow....it's depressing just looking at this guy. And when he speaks! Don't take the interview coach.
Keep him away from the cameras and reporters for sure .

Everyone is back working hard, getting ready for next week. Especially the kids....takes time to shake off what they have been though, but they have already shaken off this loss.

Seems like this group of kids have a greater ability to move on from loss than most adult "men" that are PR fans???

On to next week.

complete joke, embarrassing, PR will never play imotep, PR will never make is out of wpial, unprepared, poorly coached, too many mistakes- 2 times PR put 10 guys on the field, an 8 year old kid watching the game could see that was stupid- BTW- i was messing w Details last week, i was KIDDING when i agreed w him/her- i disagree w most of he/she says. The only reason the "press" writes "nice articles" about PR, is because PR had great coaching and a great program last year, and won the friggin state title, NOT because the current coaches are doing a good job, cuz they are not. There are 2 or 3 assistant coaches working hard and doing their best, but only one assistant has ever done this before, the rest are clueless, so is the head coach. He has never been a head coach for a successful high school program, and to my knowledge has never won a championship at any level, in 40 years.
Calm down dude it's high school kids.

Reactions: Stalker
Calm down dude it's high school kids.
the "high school kids" played hard, some played well against some talented Harrisburg players, PR kids tried to do their best... I am questioning the "adults in charge" who did not have the kids prepared, and did not make effective, simple, in-game coaching decisions

Here's my take on the game. First the big easy to see stuff.

1. The offense "looks" the same but they no longer play with any sort of tempo. They sorta mill around and run a play.
2. The defense no longer attacks like they did last year, especially at the LB and DB position.
3. The emotions by the players to each other and the coaches seems not-so-good.

Other things I notice.
1. Boyd can really spin it, but several times it seemed like he and the WR's were not on the same page, espcially with some of the shorter run-pass options plays. He ended up being sacked or running around.
2. I was very surprised that P-R was not able to run the ball at will or able to stop the run.
3. Besides maybe Mellis on O, there isn't a lot of team speed. Game looked like it was in slow motion at every position. This was very evident on the bubble play away from our sideline that lead to a TD.
4. By the second quarter, Hasley looked dead. Every down on both sides of hte ball and getting hit on every play as the Mike this year.
5. Gochis also looked ok at WR.
6. P-R' screen game looked good I thought. (Gochis, Mellis, Wells)
7. P-R's secondary looks subpar. Looks like they have LB's playing S and S playing LB.

Next Up: Seneca Valley.

Then, PCC, USC, Gateway, Penn Hills, North Hills.

If P-R can get a little better, they have a shot against Seneca, who got beat by Moon, but judging by the comportment of the players on the sideline during and after the game, I think the ship may be sailing in the wrong direction.

2020: There were multiple times P-R didn't have enough people on the field. One led to a confrontation (yelling) between a player and a coach.

Campos' interview after the game didn't exactly give me too much confidence in his abilities going forward.

Is Coach K’s son in the program? I know he is currently in ninth grade, but I wasn’t sure if he decided to go elsewhere.

Also new2pa, I want to hear your thoughts about the 4th and 8 play at the end of the game where Eastburn caught it short of the marker, and he got an unsportsmanlike conduct when he chucked the ball at the Harrisburg player. At first, I thought Eastburn was in the wrong there. However, when I saw it again I realized that the DB was straddling Eastburn taunting him. It seemed like tempers were high all afternoon. Thoughts?

HSF: He's the backup QB

Bummer: My thoughts were the same as yours. The kid over him probably said something and Eastburn reacted. I don't really blame anyone on that. Kids say stuff all the time.

My comment earlier was that at least I saw more displays directed at fellow players and coaches than I have seen in a while. I think that as the day went on, frustration grew, especially with the QB from what I saw.

HSF: He's the backup QB

Bummer: My thoughts were the same as yours. The kid over him probably said something and Eastburn reacted. I don't really blame anyone on that. Kids say stuff all the time.

My comment earlier was that at least I saw more displays directed at fellow players and coaches than I have seen in a while. I think that as the day went on, frustration grew, especially with the QB from what I saw.
new- yes 3 times, PR only had 10 players on the field- at least once the kids recognized it, a PR player went on the field to make 11- and the PR coach yelled at him to come off the field, and ball was snapped w 10. Also, several times, the right personnel groupings were not on the field, and lastly, IMO a major breakdown was PR did not run short-yardage packages- kids were not ready to go- cuz some of the kids were tired/gassed due to the heat- they have PLENTY of size- they should have had subs ready to go- seems as though they did not. there was more stuff, I could go on- but these are coaching mistakes, and lack of game-time decisions by the coaches. Again, Details or his wife (using Details' account) might yell at me for being negative, but most observers w even a little sports knowledge would recognize these things as coaching mistakes.

Bummer- the penalty at the end- yes the kid was taunting Eastburn- he was wrong, and so was the other kid- that should have been off-setting penalties.

I'm curious to hear Central PA or East folks- that Harrisburg seemed really good- the Williams kid was great- could this team be really good? To me, seems yes. I think PR was unprepared for how good they were

I don’t know a ton about Hburg; I only watched this opening game. I think they’ll struggle against good teams due to the freshmen QB. I felt their offense was fairly one-dimensional. Everyone in the stadium knew they were just going to continue running the ball inside, yet PR couldn’t stop it. I think better defenses can shut them down.

On the other side of the ball, it seemed PR had a ton of opportunities to score. Turnovers really hurt them. Additionally, they had WRs running free and just missed them at times. Bottom line being, I was not overly impressed with Hburg. I think they’ll have a solid squad but I don’t see them being an elite team state-wide.

The biggest take away from this game should be that the coached need to be buttoned up for game time action. With 7-8 coaches not working together for situational football, will make for a long year and bad results. PR is going to be challenged to make in game adjustments with the limited staff (experience) they have and put two guys in the box and 2 coordinates, who is left to ensure the personnel is getting on the field and substituting players. I believe the players will adapt and step up, it will be alot to ask of them to overcome the coaching gaffs.

new- yes 3 times, PR only had 10 players on the field- at least once the kids recognized it, a PR player went on the field to make 11- and the PR coach yelled at him to come off the field, and ball was snapped w 10. Also, several times, the right personnel groupings were not on the field, and lastly, IMO a major breakdown was PR did not run short-yardage packages- kids were not ready to go- cuz some of the kids were tired/gassed due to the heat- they have PLENTY of size- they should have had subs ready to go- seems as though they did not. there was more stuff, I could go on- but these are coaching mistakes, and lack of game-time decisions by the coaches. Again, Details or his wife (using Details' account) might yell at me for being negative, but most observers w even a little sports knowledge would recognize these things as coaching mistakes.

Bummer- the penalty at the end- yes the kid was taunting Eastburn- he was wrong, and so was the other kid- that should have been off-setting penalties.

I'm curious to hear Central PA or East folks- that Harrisburg seemed really good- the Williams kid was great- could this team be really good? To me, seems yes. I think PR was unprepared for how good they were
Harrisburg

I’m born and raised in central Pa but don’t think that makes my observations more valid than anyone else’s. Whatever, here they are.

** #1 first and foremost, Harrisburg was in better condition than PR who seemed gassed early. Not just the way Harrisburg’s line handled PR’s Dfront, I suspected that (mentioned to new2pa), but the way Harrisburg flew around the field and the constant pressure put on the quarterback the entire game. Harrisburg’s defense was relentless with quick DLs and linebackers, mostly sophs and jr players, looking fresh to the end. Don’t forget, it’s Harrisburg not PR with personnel shortages, suiting 26-27 guys affecting their rotation, or lack of it.

** Although they played a freshman quarterback, they had balance on offense. PR had 50 some rush yards? Better play distribution for Cougars; 228 rushing, 108 passing. I thought PR should have gone with trips more where they had great success for a series or two. 10 guys on the field for PR, confusion on the sidelines. Harrisburg found what was working and did not panic, despite a heavy run approach that ate clock. It was working and they stayed patient. You don’t always see that.

** I say this so often guys are probably irritated by it but Mid Penn “Commonwealth” teams play with swag. Typically, with some exceptions annually, it’s no joke playing State High, CV, CD, Harrisburg, (Altoona, Carlisle rebuilding their programs) etc week in week out; then non-conf games this year vs Wilson, McDevitt, Township, Berks Catholic, Dtown East, Warwick, Cedar Cliff, Spg-Fd, Cent York, Manheim Central. This year CD East is in that group. They think they’re better and play like it, with attitude. You can most definitely kick their ass, but not their attitude.

Towards the end of the game PR had the reception along the sideline falling just short of a 1st down with PR getting the flag. Next time run a better route, then the defender won’t taunt and laugh at you coming up a yard short giving them the game.

Those are some thoughts, no offense intended.

PS; I think they are good, not just can be good but that depth will kill them in the Mid Penn-Commonwealth being unable to take a beating against legit-well coached programs week in week out. And starting a frosh QB is a no no in the MPC although you got to say the kid came on as the game developed.

Last edited:
Reactions: bummer01 and new2pa
Harrisburg

I’m born and raised in central Pa but don’t think that makes my observations more valid than anyone else’s. Whatever, here they are.

** #1 first and foremost, Harrisburg was in better condition than PR who seemed gassed early. Not just the way Harrisburg’s line handled PR’s Dfront, I suspected that (mentioned to new2pa), but the way Harrisburg flew around the field and the constant pressure put on the quarterback the entire game. Harrisburg’s defense was relentless with quick DLs and linebackers, mostly sophs and jr players, looking fresh to the end. Don’t forget, it’s Harrisburg not PR with personnel shortages, suiting 26-27 guys affecting their rotation, or lack of it.

** Although they played a freshman quarterback, they had balance on offense. PR had 50 some rush yards? Better play distribution for Cougars; 228 rushing, 108 passing. I thought PR should have gone with trips more where they had great success for a series or two. 10 guys on the field for PR, confusion on the sidelines. Harrisburg found what was working and did not panic, despite a heavy run approach that ate clock. It was working and they stayed patient. You don’t always see that.

** I say this so often guys are probably irritated by it but Mid Penn “Commonwealth” teams play with swag. Typically, with some exceptions annually, it’s no joke playing State High, CV, CD, Harrisburg, (Altoona, Carlisle rebuilding their programs) etc week in week out; then non-conf games this year vs Wilson, McDevitt, Township, Berks Catholic, Dtown East, Warwick, Cedar Cliff, Spg-Fd, Cent York, Manheim Central. This year CD East is in that group. They think they’re better and play like it, with attitude. You can most definitely kick their ass, but not their attitude.

Towards the end of the game PR had the reception along the sideline falling just short of a 1st down with PR getting the flag. Next time run a better route, then the defender won’t taunt and laugh at you coming up a yard short giving them the game.

Those are some thoughts, no offense intended.

PS; I think they are good, not just can be good but that depth will kill them in the Mid Penn-Commonwealth being unable to take a beating against legit-well coached programs week in week out. And starting a frosh QB is a no no in the MPC although you got to say the kid came on as the game developed.
awesome info and perspective, thx Stalker, no offense taken. And yes, Hbg had more "swag" than PR... despite all the angles and backstories for both teams, it was a good battle in a classic setting, the Wolverena

Reactions: Stalker and new2pa
Heard today - Hasley called most of the game from the field. They hired somebody from to fill the DC spot on staff, but he's not the DC.

I did not want to comment until I watched the film.

First, I though PR outplayed Harrisburg the first half, coaching included.

Clearly, PR was out of shape - that is on the coaches.
Also, Harrisburg staff made beet halftime adjustments - this on the coaches.
PR made none - this is on the coaches.
Turnovers.

I am chalking this up to a game plan based on basic schematics due in part to the late hire? Maybe not everything is installed, or they thought they could get by Week Zero with what they had?

This week counts.

And the interview was an embarrassment. I have stated many times that PR has to move on, that includes Campos.

Turnovers.

I am chalking this up to a game plan based on basic schematics due in part to the late hire? Maybe not everything is installed, or they thought they could get by Week Zero with what they had?

This week counts.

And the interview was an embarrassment. I have stated many times that PR has to move on, that includes Campos.
"This week counts"
?
So did the Harrisburg game? Unless I am missing something both go in the "win-loss" column? This week is "also" non-conference (Seneca Valley-6A- Non-conference), so would this week not "count the same" as the Harrisburg game?

I am not sure- but wouldn't a win or loss in Week Zero "count" count just as much as a "non-conference" game, when it comes to "rankings" or "playoff seeding?"

Turnovers.

This week counts.

Coach (Details?), I suppose those of us who've engaged this forum for many years wonder if y'all synonymous?

Seems that the on-goings of the Pine-Richland program has spiked the intrigue from the entire state this year, for obvious reasons. Won't rehash the past today..

I find your critique of P-R's 1st outing with the new regime somewhat insightful and brutally honest, can appreciate the candor. You enumerated several issues, preparation & conditioning being on the forefront. If you are a coach or directly associated with the team/program, this must concern you most!! Having "watched" (from afar) some of P-R successes of the past several years, those two issues were never problematic for the Rams.

Q: It's early season but where do you anticipate things go from here??

Coach (Details?), I suppose those of us who've engaged this forum for many years wonder if y'all synonymous?

Seems that the on-goings of the Pine-Richland program has spiked the intrigue from the entire state this year, for obvious reasons. Won't rehash the past today..

I find your critique of P-R's 1st outing with the new regime somewhat insightful and brutally honest, can appreciate the candor. You enumerated several issues, preparation & conditioning being on the forefront. If you are a coach or directly associated with the team/program, this must concern you most!! Having "watched" (from afar) some of P-R successes of the past several years, those two issues were never problematic for the Rams.

Q: It's early season but where do you anticipate things go from here??
I spoke of my experiences. I have never coached with Campos, never involved with PR, I just know the situation and I have been correct on everything I posted compared to others. Scary lol.

1. Coach K is a great coach and person.
2. Something had to happen or his contract would not have be renewed. Not one person in the decision making process supported him.
3. The Superintendent would never be fired - his contract was actually extended.
4. The school board would not "flip" and hire Coach K back.
5. Coach K would be just fine moving on.
6. All Coach Campos has do is NOT screw this up. Not sure he has yet, the team looked good for a half and maybe the staff has not had time to implement all the strength & conditioning or play book they desire.
7. They have to do better.

As far as play offs go, Harrisburg has no value, not even SV, but to quiet the cry babies...you goT to win!

Again, I speak from experience at every level......not from an armchair.

Good luck to the actual PR fans here. Support for children should be unconditional.

I spoke of my experiences. I have never coached with Campos, never involved with PR, I just know the situation and I have been correct on everything I posted compared to others. Scary lol.

1. Coach K is a great coach and person.
2. Something had to happen or his contract would not have be renewed. Not one person in the decision making process supported him.
3. The Superintendent would never be fired - his contract was actually extended.
4. The school board would not "flip" and hire Coach K back.
5. Coach K would be just fine moving on.
6. All Coach Campos has do is NOT screw this up. Not sure he has yet, the team looked good for a half and maybe the staff has not had time to implement all the strength & conditioning or play book they desire.
7. They have to do better.

As far as play offs go, Harrisburg has no value, not even SV, but to quiet the cry babies...you goT to win!

Again, I speak from experience at every level......not from an armchair.

Good luck to the actual PR fans here. Support for children should be unconditional.
wow- "cry babies" and "armchair?"

Jeez, not sure, again, Coach, or Details, why u gotta "attack people," and justify and "defend" your knowledge. You "watch film?" Sure seems like you are a current PR coach, PR admin or PR parent, who knows.

The "players being supported," yes, agree. But, to support poor leadership of the district "unconditionally" I do not agree with that. Too many things to list but there are lots of "glitches" going on, still, with the PR football program, that are not being caused by kids- and certainly not being caused by the FIRED COACHES

Many coaching breakdowns occurred in that game- but it seems maybe Harrisburg was pretty good, we will see

Reactions: wilson8500
PR is understaffed with coaches that do not have the experience to maintain the high level of detail to win tough games. The PR players are resilient and talented. The current coaches do not have the attention to detail that the last staff had because they are spread too thin and have multiple responsibilities. The last staff had almost double the coaches with loads of "winning" experience. This staff will come together but it might not happen until mid year by the time they get their act together.

Reactions: wilson8500
Another key going forward is going to be the play of the QB. Boyd can really spin it. Has lots of velocity. Need him to make big plays all the time though. Maybe sometimes take a little off so it’s more catchable. And can’t take sacks when trying to throw the ball on our PO’s. 3 TDs but 2 INTs, a Fumble and several goof ups trying to throw RPO but holding it.

but that was his first game starting, so can get better.

Totally agree that if Kasperowicz and his staff were coaching the outcome would have been a W for PR. Can not emphasize the enough not having enough hands on deck would make a big difference in the flow of the in-game decisions and managing the sub-packages let alone having enough layers on the field.

Maybe the coaches were out of game shape as well, baptism by fire.

Totally agree that if Kasperowicz and his staff were coaching the outcome would have been a W for PR. Can not emphasize the enough not having enough hands on deck would make a big difference in the flow of the in-game decisions and managing the sub-packages let alone having enough layers on the field.

Maybe the coaches were out of game shape as well, baptism by fire.
most of the coaches have never coached high school varsity sports, never, let alone "high level" football, certainly never done that either... the whole "program" is being held together with "band-aids" and "impromptu decisions" on a daily basis

Ladies...It's been months...he's not coming back - he's just not that into you - he has moved on to Pitt.

Like it or not. You got to move on. Starting to sound like an obsessed girlfriend that cannot deal with the break-up.

PR may win every game, still, Eric is not coming back.
PR may lose every game, Eric is still not coming back.

Eric has moved on to things bigger than Pine-Richland.

Let him has his success at Pitt.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Bighead75
The comments should be directed at those who are molding the players. Regardless of experience, the Head Coach should of had a plan for getting a staff together if he is going to throw is hat into the ring. If there is credibility with the head guy, he should have been able to pull together a group of coaches. From what I see and hear, he should be thank for that PR alumni stepped up to bailed him out. This should have been the first red flag, which many raised the question early on. Not knowing the degree of daily coaching of x & o's currently happening, PR kids are used to having teams react to the pressure put them from tempo and knowing assignments. From the outside looking in, it seems that once H'burg made adjustments, our guys did not react well.

This week will be a test of how well or how bad things will get. Our players can and should compete with SV, as long as they can stay ahead of the chains and get off the field on defense. PR is not ready to be a pound it out team yet.

The comments should be directed at those who are molding the players. Regardless of experience, the Head Coach should of had a plan for getting a staff together if he is going to throw is hat into the ring. If there is credibility with the head guy, he should have been able to pull together a group of coaches. From what I see and hear, he should be thank for that PR alumni stepped up to bailed him out. This should have been the first red flag, which many raised the question early on. Not knowing the degree of daily coaching of x & o's currently happening, PR kids are used to having teams react to the pressure put them from tempo and knowing assignments. From the outside looking in, it seems that once H'burg made adjustments, our guys did not react well.

This week will be a test of how well or how bad things will get. Our players can and should compete with SV, as long as they can stay ahead of the chains and get off the field on defense. PR is not ready to be a pound it out team yet.
prfb- agree... "a win is a win" no matter the score, hope friday is better- and you are spot-on w your observations

If by Sept 25, PR is ANY BETTER than 1 win and 4 losses, the coaches are doing a decent job, and PR might have some success this year- the schedule is a brutal 5 weeks

That is so sad to hear. 2-3 is the new standard for decent. ☹️

I would like to think that once the coaches sort themselves out and get their seal-egs under them, they will get more done on the field with adjustments and basic reps. Better to run 2 plays excellent than 30 half executed. Build on the base.

Everyone knows that repetition is the key to success. If the team is not seeing new things and adjusting accordingly, the same results are going to happen in the second half of the game.

For the most part the players that are there, like football and want to be successful.....it is up to the coaching to get them above the bar and thrive.

The PR players are a great bunch of students and even better community members.

Any predictions for tonight's game? Any breakout players?
Well, last wk I predicted 21-20 Pr win- I was correct on PR points, did not expect defense to be as bad. I think PR will have less turnovers tonight, gonna be close, but predicting 28-27 PR win.

Breakout players, unlikely, both teams know too much about each other, the difference will be PR kids have been in more battles than SV kids, that should help get them a W

Reactions: bummer01
I’ll take P-R 34-21.

maybe gonna take a while for SV to pick up what the new coaches are trying to do.

Reactions: bummer01
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT