ADVERTISEMENT

Pine-Richland 2021

wpial coach, I think that's off a little.

offensive and defensive scheme: gone
strength and conditioning program: gone
staff: gone

I know for a fact (from admin and a school board member) that they didn't have 30 applicants. They "had a couple that looked qualified."

Given that admin hired the new dude as AD, the word "qualified" is highly dubious.

But, no need to argue. Time will tell.

Thank you for coaching.... tough job.
Very few kids are blessed athletes, most are average. Im a a believer that a coach developes talent. EX: Mike Pettine CBW 326-42-4 (33 years). Mike carey coached along side him for 23 years and took over when Pettine retired. CBW went 14-1 losing in OT in the state championship. Carey retiredafter one year. CBW was rocked by their own hazing scandle and the head coach who wasnt even at the school at the time got fired. Shame... he was a good coach and a nice guy. It took CBW almost 20 yrs to make a district final with just a couple of playoff appearances. Standing room only to practically nothing. Painful to watch a elite team team of PA fade into obscurity.
Be careful of the road your adm is taking you down.
I have no way to judge the future, but for the past.
I agree with much of what you say but keep in mind that West lost a main feeder area for players when South opened; the talent DID change and the school shrunk compared to others in their league that were still getting bigger. West is now the smallest school in the SOL National and there are 1 or 2 schools in the next division down that are larger than West also, even though the league was re-aligned by student population. So West lost both coaching AND talent. I'm agreeing that the best staffs develop talent and depth and that wins championships. What you can't coach is 6'5" 280 pound linemen. You can get them in the weight room, talk nutrition, etc... to develop them, but you're still dealing with genetics. Same with 4.5 skill guys, they're born with that ability, waiting for it to be nurtured. In the initial campaign to keep Coach K, the student that started the petition talked about how she felt sorry for the many players who moved into the district to play for him specifically.

In terms of "almost nothing" for West attendance, there were multiple games in 2019 that were SRO. When West wins the crowds are still huge, because the people in town still attend games without having a connection to players. West also travels with big crowds. South game (@ South) was SRO, about 5 deep around the fences. Same with the East game (@ West), North Penn (@ West) and Coatesville (@ West). I'm about 99% sure that West leads their league in attendance, if anyone actually kept those numbers, and it wouldn't be close.

Must be a huge conspiracy to take down high school football at Pine-Richland lol

Bottom line is this staff is gone. We got to move on for the sake of the kids and the program in general.

Last edited:
Bummer... The adm doesnt care how it looks. Its all about a difference of philosophy and face saving.
A successful coach teaches young men and women how to be successful in life. They show them what it takes... hard work, attention to detail, team work, disapline in the field of competition and preperation leeds to success. Kids will remember that their coach showed them what it takes to be victorious and will use that mentality throughout life. These are the students that will go out into the world and never give up.
As apposed to a loser mentality of "we are all equal and someone will take care of me".
I really think it bothered the adm that a coach was more of a leader than they are.
And they just couldnt have that..........
Absolutely Well said and so TRUE !!!

Reactions: new2pa
I agree with much of what you say but keep in mind that West lost a main feeder area for players when South opened; the talent DID change and the school shrunk compared to others in their league that were still getting bigger. West is now the smallest school in the SOL National and there are 1 or 2 schools in the next division down that are larger than West also, even though the league was re-aligned by student population. So West lost both coaching AND talent. I'm agreeing that the best staffs develop talent and depth and that wins championships. What you can't coach is 6'5" 280 pound linemen. You can get them in the weight room, talk nutrition, etc... to develop them, but you're still dealing with genetics. Same with 4.5 skill guys, they're born with that ability, waiting for it to be nurtured. In the initial campaign to keep Coach K, the student that started the petition talked about how she felt sorry for the many players who moved into the district to play for him specifically.

In terms of "almost nothing" for West attendance, there were multiple games in 2019 that were SRO. When West wins the crowds are still huge, because the people in town still attend games without having a connection to players. West also travels with big crowds. South game (@ South) was SRO, about 5 deep around the fences. Same with the East game (@ West), North Penn (@ West) and Coatesville (@ West). I'm about 99% sure that West leads their league in attendance, if anyone actually kept those numbers, and it wouldn't be close.
I dont disagree with you about the 2019 team. They had some special players such as Fallon (an all time great) who you dont get but once every 10 years if you are lucky. Sure the crowds were big in 19 and everyone was reliving the glory days, but they lost in the district one quarter finals. They have a quality coach now, but you have to give credit to Cathers as well for building that team. I would bet that CBW has a losing record since Pettine/Carey retired. It looks like West is on the upswing as a program, But this is the reverse in PR. Yes they split the school district into 3. But Pettine won the BuxMont championship his first year as head coach at the original CB. Then CB was split into east and west and it only took him 3 years to restart his run of excellence. Pettine won state titles with less enrollment than they have today at CBW. Pettine/Carey/staff would still dominate today. Make that CRUSH the SOL and be a state contender. They were just that good.
My point is.... you cant replace coaches like the one in PR.
It took close to 20 years for west to once again fill the stadium. And I was at the Coatesville game.... best crowd in years but it was far from being sold out.
Be careful of what you wish for in PR.

Last edited:
Reactions: lilromeo and new2pa
Must be a huge conspiracy to take down high school football at Pine-Richland lol

Bottom line is this staff is gone. We got to move on for the sake of the kids and the program in general.
Its a huge conspiracy to de-emphasise high school football in general by educators.
Alpha dogs are not to be tolerated.
Case in point PINE RICHLAND.

Its a huge conspiracy to de-emphasise high school football in general by educators.
Alpha dogs are not to be tolerated.
Case in point PINE RICHLAND.
Im not sure any educator is trying to de-emphasize football...that seems a bit of a stretch, if they even care at all. Maybe they just didn’t tolerate the alleged “hazing” and are taking no chances.
One might say the “Alpha Dogs” are the ones still employed and in power.

Has the school disaplined any student for hazing? ....... NO
Has the school told any football player's parents their child is a bully?... NO
Adm #1 Hey did hear about the terrible things kids were subjected to in hazing arround the country.
Adm #2 Well I heard a player got towel snapped in our locked room.
Adm #3 We got em now!
It seems that the kid who was allegedly hazed is more of a adult than some administrators.
Some may say these admins think of themselves as alpha dogs, but are far from it.

Last edited:
Has the school disaplined any student for hazing? ....... NO
Has the school told any football player's parents their child is a bully?... NO
Adm #1 Hey did hear about the terrible things kids were subjected to in hazing arround the country.
Adm #2 Well I heard a player got towel snapped in our locked room.
Adm #3 We got em now!
It seems that the kid who was allegedly hazed is more of a adult than some administrators.
Some may say these admins think of themselves as alpha dogs, but are far from it.
I’m not sure the administration knew about the alleged “hazing”...which puts any required discipline on the coaching staff. Then the staff should report the incident to admin. They did not. That one complaint opened the door. The vote to not rehire was unanimous. Now we’re here. I don’t disagree with your perception of certain administrators, but they flexed the muscle they do have. Admin won the peeing contest.

I dont disagree with you about the 2019 team. They had some special players such as Fallon (an all time great) who you dont get but once every 10 years if you are lucky. Sure the crowds were big in 19 and everyone was reliving the glory days, but they lost in the district one quarter finals. They have a quality coach now, but you have to give credit to Cathers as well for building that team. I would bet that CBW has a losing record since Pettine/Carey retired. It looks like West is on the upswing as a program, But this is the reverse in PR. Yes they split the school district into 3. But Pettine won the BuxMont championship his first year as head coach at the original CB. Then CB was split into east and west and it only took him 3 years to restart his run of excellence. Pettine won state titles with less enrollment than they have today at CBW. Pettine/Carey/staff would still dominate today. Make that CRUSH the SOL and be a state contender. They were just that good.
My point is.... you cant replace coaches like the one in PR.
It took close to 20 years for west to once again fill the stadium. And I was at the Coatesville game.... best crowd in years but it was far from being sold out.
Be careful of what you wish for in PR.
The Pettine / Carey staff is an all-time staff in PA, and agree that they would have great success in any era you dropped them into. The reality is that while CBSD kept splitting their schools as they grew, North Penn, Neshaminy, Pennsbury and Pennridge kept one high school as their populations continued to grow so you end up with North Penn having double the population of many of the teams they are playing.

Cathers tenure ended with very small numbers left in the program. His last class just graduated and it was probably the smallest senior class to ever graduate from West, and they had big freshman teams every year. Too many players never returned after their first experience with West football. The 2019 team had less than 40 kids dressed by the end of the year, V plus JV. This year's team I believe is back up to near 70 players. It's night and day. I think Cather's biggest problem was that he never surrounded himself with a strong staff.

Not disagreeing at all with your take on PR, great coaches don't come along very often... in fact, rarely. But I think once a great coach is in place, success breeds more success because players start appearing in the district that wouldn't be living there if it wasn't for the coach and success.

As they say-its not the X's and O's, its the Jimmy and Joes. PR probably has had more D1, D1A, D2 talent come through the halls in the past 5 years than most high schools get in 20 years. Im not say Coack K is not a good coach, but there are a lot of good coaches in PA coaching mediocre kids getting minimal support with mediocre facilities that we probably never heard of. Remember when Brooks left St Joes that was going to be the end of that program. Guess what-they started bringing in bigger and better kids and are on a different level now.

It also helps to have athletes like this lol....

DE: Lenz 6'3" 240 SR - Returning starter and very good. Playing opposite Jackson, teams targeted him but he did well. Needs to step up and be dominent.
DL: Domer 6'3" 270 SR - Returning starter, all-conference and 5A all state player.
DL: Kerns: 6' 240 JR - Started at center but will have to go both ways. Likely a rotation player
DE: Klemm - more of an offensive lineman. See below
LB: Hasley, 6'2 210 SR - D1 LB. Best player on team. Will need to be a force
LB: Heckert. 5'10 200 JR - Played on their 3rd down package. Needs to find a home somewhere.
LB: Ansell / ?: I don't know anything about this kid.
S: Eastburn, 5'9 180 SR - A better offensive player but did get a lot of time at S as Jochem's backup.
S: Palmary, 5'9 180 JR - Am told he is best overall football player in the JR class. Also competing for starting QB job
CB: Gochis - will have to go two ways at this point.
CB: ?

Offense:
T: Jalen Klem, 6'4 250 SR - Transferred this past year to P-R. Was a QB. Son of Steelers Assistant OL coach. Raw but talented.
T: Beam, 6'4 270 JR - Played a lot this past year in sub packages. Potential D1 OL.
G: Domer, 6'3 270, SR - Will be playing both ways
G: Cory, 6'2 250 SO - Never heard of this kid but coaches speak very highly of him. D1 talent
C: Kerns, 6' 240 JR - Was first team 5A All state. Very very good player.
QB: Boyd 6' 180 SR - Great arm talent but lacks experience. Palmary also in contention.
RB: Eastburnn 5'9 180 SR - Was all conference as utility player. Needs to step up
RB/WR: Hasley - They used him as RB in state championship game. Look for him to see a lot of carries in big game.
WR: Gochis 6'3 190 SR - Returning starter. Needs to step up and be primary target
WR: Mellis 5'8" 170 JR - Played sparingly. Small but quick. Will take Jochem's spot.
WR: Wells 5'11 170 SR - This could be anyone. Wells will get first crack
FB/HS: Rottinghaus 6'1 200 JR - Another question mark position.

Was reading through the news reports. There are two things to keep an eye on:

The state lawsuit is designed to be punitive to the district and the people named.
The upcoming federal lawsuit centered-around due-process can be the tool to get his job back. We'll see if this one gets filed.

Does his attorney realize Coach K was not fired? PR chose not to renew his contract.

See my previous post. The way it was explained to me is that if the board and admin didn't follow their own rules on deciding to open his position and post for applicants, there could be tangible bureaucratic problems which could prevent hiring of another coach until corrected.

And correcting them at this point would be unpleasant.

It also helps to have athletes like this lol....

DE: Lenz 6'3" 240 SR - Returning starter and very good. Playing opposite Jackson, teams targeted him but he did well. Needs to step up and be dominent.
DL: Domer 6'3" 270 SR - Returning starter, all-conference and 5A all state player.
DL: Kerns: 6' 240 JR - Started at center but will have to go both ways. Likely a rotation player
DE: Klemm - more of an offensive lineman. See below
LB: Hasley, 6'2 210 SR - D1 LB. Best player on team. Will need to be a force
LB: Heckert. 5'10 200 JR - Played on their 3rd down package. Needs to find a home somewhere.
LB: Ansell / ?: I don't know anything about this kid.
S: Eastburn, 5'9 180 SR - A better offensive player but did get a lot of time at S as Jochem's backup.
S: Palmary, 5'9 180 JR - Am told he is best overall football player in the JR class. Also competing for starting QB job
CB: Gochis - will have to go two ways at this point.
CB: ?

Offense:
T: Jalen Klem, 6'4 250 SR - Transferred this past year to P-R. Was a QB. Son of Steelers Assistant OL coach. Raw but talented.
T: Beam, 6'4 270 JR - Played a lot this past year in sub packages. Potential D1 OL.
G: Domer, 6'3 270, SR - Will be playing both ways
G: Cory, 6'2 250 SO - Never heard of this kid but coaches speak very highly of him. D1 talent
C: Kerns, 6' 240 JR - Was first team 5A All state. Very very good player.
QB: Boyd 6' 180 SR - Great arm talent but lacks experience. Palmary also in contention.
RB: Eastburnn 5'9 180 SR - Was all conference as utility player. Needs to step up
RB/WR: Hasley - They used him as RB in state championship game. Look for him to see a lot of carries in big game.
WR: Gochis 6'3 190 SR - Returning starter. Needs to step up and be primary target
WR: Mellis 5'8" 170 JR - Played sparingly. Small but quick. Will take Jochem's spot.
WR: Wells 5'11 170 SR - This could be anyone. Wells will get first crack
FB/HS: Rottinghaus 6'1 200 JR - Another question mark position.

Those are great kids.

And only one has an offer to play at the next level - Hasley.

Was reading through the news reports. There are two things to keep an eye on:

The state lawsuit is designed to be punitive to the district and the people named.
The upcoming federal lawsuit centered-around due-process can be the tool to get his job back. We'll see if this one gets filed.
PR will pay him to go away. I’ve said this before, it happens all the time in the WPIAL.....Not sure he’ll get the job back. It looks like school district made it clear they’re moving on. I wonder where the union stands in this? Pretty quiet for having such a strong union. It was a supplemental contract under the CBA the administration had to have “just cause”

See my previous post. The way it was explained to me is that if the board and admin didn't follow their own rules on deciding to open his position and post for applicants, there could be tangible bureaucratic problems which could prevent hiring of another coach until corrected.

And correcting them at this point would be unpleasant.
I would think the union would be all over this, especially if the administration violated the CBA union contract...but nothing.

Seems like we are too the point that the only opinion that's gonna matter is a judges.

Admin: No
School Board: No
Union: No
Community: No

Judge: Yes

Of course, Coach K could take the money and run. But with the program he built and with a kid getting ready to play, I'm thinking that's not a primary factor.

Seems like we are too the point that the only opinion that's gonna matter is a judges.

Admin: No
School Board: No
Union: No
Community: No

Judge: Yes

Of course, Coach K could take the money and run. But with the program he built and with a kid getting ready to play, I'm thinking that's not a primary factor.
I’m sure it would be great to coach your kids, but this type of litigation will take years. I’ve seen a teacher wait 3 years to win...didn’t get job back, but got paid back salary

Bucks - out of curiosity, do the District 1 schools still draw nice crowds? I know West and North Penn do. How about Neshaminy, Pennsbury, Pennridge? Thanks.

As they say-its not the X's and O's, its the Jimmy and Joes. PR probably has had more D1, D1A, D2 talent come through the halls in the past 5 years than most high schools get in 20 years. Im not say Coack K is not a good coach, but there are a lot of good coaches in PA coaching mediocre kids getting minimal support with mediocre facilities that we probably never heard of. Remember when Brooks left St Joes that was going to be the end of that program. Guess what-they started bringing in bigger and better kids and are on a different level now.
Yes,and a coach names Gabe Infante.!!!!!!!!!!!

Bucks - out of curiosity, do the District 1 schools still draw nice crowds? I know West and North Penn do. How about Neshaminy, Pennsbury, Pennridge? Thanks.
In general they are pretty good. Biggest crowds (by far) are the Central Bucks rivalry games because of the proximity. East when not playing West or South are disappointing crowds but they still play Saturday day games so that hurts. South draws well as Warrington is still a football town. Pennridge gets decent crowds and hopefully if they've turned the corner with the program they'll get even bigger. Neshaminy and Pennsbury not bad either, but when you consider the size of their schools, they should do better imo. (Really same with North Penn as the crowds are big but not in relation to the size of the HS.)

My favorite atmosphere currently is Quakertown, smaller stadium with no track so the fans are right on top of the field. Great band / student section, great experience when they're having a good year and filling the stadium.

Thanks for the info. I haven’t been to a game in Quakertown in years. I usually attend the Neshaminy-Pennsbury rivalry which always gets a great crowd, but I wasn’t sure what their typical games get. Granted, it doesn’t help that Pennsbury has struggled the past few years. On another note, I’m very excited to see how this new division shakes out this year. I think we are in store for some great games.

My 2 cents...
I have been reading and listening, great dialogue, data on the board. There is Top talent for sure but the coaches put them over the top. One quick example , I saw several D1 kids at USC, 6 maybe 7 if you include rising sophomores and their qb who could of played db at the higher level but chose to remain at qb. With a very mediocre staff they got very mediocre results. There is no way no how Pine will win the wpial this year and probably not anytime soon, book it. The staff was top line and LaDonne or the Pgh C.C. or NA, Butler coach will not duplicate the results the old staff had. Head coach is key but the staff means more. Ask new2pa to break down their staff, it’s 2nd to none. I am very familiar with the preps staff, this staff is on par with the Prep but to be clear the Prep has more talent and depth. It’s a mess up in pine and a shame actually. Shit show

My 2 cents...
I have been reading and listening, great dialogue, data on the board. There is Top talent for sure but the coaches put them over the top. One quick example , I saw several D1 kids at USC, 6 maybe 7 if you include rising sophomores and their qb who could of played db at the higher level but chose to remain at qb. With a very mediocre staff they got very mediocre results. There is no way no how Pine will win the wpial this year and probably not anytime soon, book it. The staff was top line and LaDonne or the Pgh C.C. or NA, Butler coach will not duplicate the results the old staff had. Head coach is key but the staff means more. Ask new2pa to break down their staff, it’s 2nd to none. I am very familiar with the preps staff, this staff is on par with the Prep but to be clear the Prep has more talent and depth. It’s a mess up in pine and a shame actually. Shit show
Their going to have the best QB and O line again in the wpial this year. 5A is pretty mediocre IMO, they shouldn’t have a problem winning with even a average coach.

Jackey - The qb has yet to take a meaningful varsity snap, no coach and let’s say a new coach comes by June. Not a lot of time. You think they can just roll the ball out with this group and win?

Soup / Jacky - I think that if there any year that P-R could still be ok its this one. Lots of new comers, but IMO WPIAL 5A is down. Clear path to championship or at least state semi's again. I give them little change to win it all with this staff though. It will be Imhotep or ECP.

Soup - here is their staff. Dates are approximate. There was a huge group in 2014. COach K, Sasson and Jochem go back to 2011 under Altemus I think.

HC/DC: Eric Kasperowicz
DL: Jared Miller, been there since 2014, Pitt DL, Coach K teammate at Pitt.
LB: Jack Neff, been there since 2014, Woodland Hills guy - has 10 or 11 WPIAL championships
DB: Brock Baranoski, former PR player (2011) Been there since 2014. Up and comer.
DB: Jon Hale, from Beaver. Been there since 2109
OC: Ryan Lehmeier, played for Coach K at NH, been there since 2014, since 2017 as OC. Findley, Duquesne, Coaching experience
OL: Tim Sasson, been there since 2011. played at IUP. Former FC Coach.
WR and S&C: Ed Malinowski, been there since 2014, former Navy QB. Responsibly for off season program
QB/QC: Todd Jochem, been there since 2011. ISU QB. He's the robotics PhD. Analytic guy
Asst OL: Kraig Urbik, Steelers, Bills, Dolphins OL, been there since 2019
Asst DL: Cole Mazur, NH player, been there since 2017
Offensive Asst: Eric Snyder, Former NH Coach, been there since 2017

There may be a couple more, but you get the picture. These guys have a ton of experience and are also well educated.

Last edited:
Reactions: Soup13
Jackey - The qb has yet to take a meaningful varsity snap, no coach and let’s say a new coach comes by June. Not a lot of time. You think they can just roll the ball out with this group and win?
They have a very good group this year, trust me I’ve seen enough. The up and coming QB has been learning behind spencer for the past 3 years and has looked very sharp in the 7v7 circuit. All the people I know close to the program seemed to think that there is a good chance at anouther wpial title at the least.

To add to that... That group has collectively coached in ~30 state championship games and 60 WPIAL championship games.

Besides SJP and maybe PCC, no one has close to that.

So to think a new coach will pick up where they left off and it will continue for another 8 years - well, you're probably out of your mind.

They have a very good group this year, trust me I’ve seen enough. The up and coming QB has been learning behind spencer for the past 3 years and has looked very sharp in the 7v7 circuit. All the people I know close to the program seemed to think that there is a good chance at anouther wpial title at the least.

Jacky, have the done 7v7's? I like to come and watch sometimes.

Soup / Jacky - I think that if there any year that P-R could still be ok its this one. Lots of new comers, but IMO WPIAL 5A is down. Clear path to championship or at least state semi's again. I give them little change to win it all with this staff though. It will be Imhotep or ECP.

Soup - here is their staff. Dates are approximate. There was a huge group in 2014. COach K, Sasson and Jochem go back to 2011 under Altemus I think.

HC/DC: Eric Kasperowicz
DL: Jared Miller, been there since 2014, Pitt DL, Coach K teammate at Pitt.
LB: Jack Neff, been there since 2014, Woodland Hills guy - has 10 or 11 WPIAL championships
DB: Brock Baranoski, former PR player (2011) Been there since 2014. Up and comer.
DB: Jon Hale, from Beaver. Been there since 2109
OC: Ryan Lehmeier, played for Coach K at NH, been there since 2014, since 2017 as OC. Findley, Duquesne, Coaching experience
OL: Tim Sasson, been there since 2011. played at IUP. Former FC Coach.
WR and S&C: Ed Malinowski, been there since 2014, former Navy QB. Responsibly for off season program
QB/QC: Todd Jochem, been there since 2011. ISU QB. He's the robotics PhD. Analytic guy
Asst OL: Kraig Urbik, Steelers, Bills, Dolphins OL, been there since 2019
Asst DL: Cole Mazur, NH player, been there since 2017
Offensive Asst: Eric Snyder, Former NH Coach, been there since 2017

There may be a couple more, but you get the picture. These guys have a ton of experience and are also well educated.
Thanks New. Impressive Stiff. . I thought sasson was getting the Lebo Job, I heard he is very good, that to me can be a big deal along with the schemes, etc . It’s late to learn new shit .

Jackey- I’m on the outside looking in and not sure what 5a looks like this year but a new coach and new schemes and not much time makes it Extremely difficult. I guess Harrisburg game will show how good they are.

It’s almost as of high school football is a new sport and Coach K is the only one capable of coaching it lol

It’s almost as of high school football is a new sport and Coach K is the only one
It’s almost as of high school football is a new sport and Coach K is the only one capable of coaching it lol
Coaching is the key To top success as to why you have so many mediocre programs. The staff is just as important as the HC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT