ADVERTISEMENT

Pine-Richland 2021

I think I saw on Bethel Park's twitter a few weeks ago they are playing Lebo in Week 0. I will see if I can find that. That is a rivalry game for them I guess.

TJ would be very interesting.

It seems like P-R looks outside of local at least as much as local. They've had St. Eds, Wayne, IMG, Penn Hills.

Then last year was supposed to be some New Jersey team, then Delaware Valley, then Woody.

I've got an even better opponent. What about Archbishop Wood? Aren't they going to be getting a bunch of new players from the closing of another school plus they already have a few D1 players on their roster?

But overall, who would PR play in Week 0 in-state? I heard from one player that Mt. Lebo is a possibility, and it would be a kick in the face to NA to play another 6A team, reversing the AD's words on them.

However, I want to go out of the box for an opponent. I'd love to see Thomas Jefferson. I was curious about Governor Mifflin but if things play out the way they are expected, there will be a rematch in the state playoffs.
Come south

I did a little digging. I believe ABW and LaSalle were both approached and had conflicts.

sammy: Everything I hear is that P-R admin won't let them travel. Needs to be at home.

I've got an even better opponent. What about Archbishop Wood? Aren't they going to be getting a bunch of new players from the closing of another school plus they already have a few D1 players on their roster?
Wood has 0 D-1 players currently and has a very thin returning squad. If they get the McD transfers they will be a somewhat competitive team. As of now I know of 2 very good McD players transferring in and a few deciding to go elsewhere. If their remaining D-1 players decide on Wood then game on !!! If not PR would crush them IMO. I still think LaSalle would be the game to pursue.

Romeo, which kids are going where that you know of? I know a few of them have some big-time Div 1 offers.

Romeo, which kids are going where that you know of? I know a few of them have some big-time Div 1 offers.
A d back is going to Wissahicken, and a very good o lineman to Roman. The two I know of so far going to Wood are Akrie Lilley a D back and a solid RB and linebacker John Pergine who has an offer I believe from Army. He also plays fullback at 220 lbs. The only thing holding him back is he is only 5 11 . Wood will love this guy a lot. None of McD D-1 players have said publicly where they will be going as far as I know. Semaje Bridgeman LB/DE/TE has over 20 offers already including Penn State, Nebraska, LSU ,Texas A@M Miss State among others. I will let you know if I Hear more. That school finally was getting some real nice athletes ,really too bad .

John Pergine gets around if that's the one that transferred from Spg-Fd to McDevitt. Hopefully he finds a home.

P-R's AD left for another school. Stayed just over 2 years. That's the second AD that P-R administration has driven out for worse jobs IMO. First one went to Plum. This guy is going to Shady Side Academy.

P-R's AD left for another school. Stayed just over 2 years. That's the second AD that P-R administration has driven out for worse jobs IMO. First one went to Plum. This guy is going to Shady Side Academy.

So whats the deal at PR? from an outsiders point of view ,it appears that things couldnt be better at PR.

Reactions: new2pa
As I understand and interpret things, admin makes everything very hard to do. The list of things I've heard regarding football alone include scheduling week 0 games, staying overnight in Hershey after the state championship, many, many things about Covid (threats to fire coaches over minor "violations," shutting down the season if parents watched from the grass outside the fence, etc.), football signs in the stadium, field use times, etc

It doesn't seem to me that the football program is limited, but those guys are constantly griping about how hard it is to make even simple things happen. And their stipend is low. I looked this up a few years ago. I think Coach K makes around 10k and assistants 4-8k.

And the AD gets stuck in the middle. An add to all the admin conflict, the normal AD issues with parents and players. And they don't last long.

My personal opinion - P-R has had bad press on-and-off over the years for non-sports things (transgender bathroom issue, suicides, etc.). I don't think the like it when every Friday night for 15 weeks in the fall, good things are being said about the football team. They want academics to be perceived as #1, but that's just not how its going to be. All this ramped up during the Jurkovec years, when P-R was a WPIAL champion in Hoops, Football and Baseball and several girls sports at the same time.

Reactions: lilromeo
As I understand and interpret things, admin makes everything very hard to do. The list of things I've heard regarding football alone include scheduling week 0 games, staying overnight in Hershey after the state championship, many, many things about Covid (threats to fire coaches over minor "violations," shutting down the season if parents watched from the grass outside the fence, etc.), football signs in the stadium, field use times, etc

It doesn't seem to me that the football program is limited, but those guys are constantly griping about how hard it is to make even simple things happen. And their stipend is low. I looked this up a few years ago. I think Coach K makes around 10k and assistants 4-8k.

And the AD gets stuck in the middle. An add to all the admin conflict, the normal AD issues with parents and players. And they don't last long.

My personal opinion - P-R has had bad press on-and-off over the years for non-sports things (transgender bathroom issue, suicides, etc.). I don't think the like it when every Friday night for 15 weeks in the fall, good things are being said about the football team. They want academics to be perceived as #1, but that's just not how its going to be. All this ramped up during the Jurkovec years, when P-R was a WPIAL champion in Hoops, Football and Baseball and several girls sports at the same time.
Thanks New, Its a damn shame administration cant get behind their teams great successes. Someone always seems to have a different agenda to push. Hope it gets a decent resolution before parents and coaches decide enough is enough and look elsewhere .

Coach K looked this year. Was a finalist for the Pitt LB job. A number of coaches had kids who have since finished playing. I would look to them as being the first to depart.

So putting it lightly, this AD was a puppet for the administration to manipulate and control?

Its even crazier to think that P-R wins a lot and they leave. In the fall, they had the #1 Soccer, FH and Football teams. This winter the hoops team is in the WPIAL finals and Spencer is wrestling for Gold. In the spring, Lax and baseball are always good.

It's not because they don't win or the parents....

Its even crazier to think that P-R wins a lot and they leave. In the fall, they had the #1 Soccer, FH and Football teams. This winter the hoops team is in the WPIAL finals and Spencer is wrestling for Gold. In the spring, Lax and baseball are always good.

It's not because they don't win or the parents....
This is unbelievable. This administration should be proud and wanting to continue the positive performances instead of disrupting the positive flow .

Reactions: JACKY6996
This is unbelievable. This administration should be proud and wanting to continue the positive performances instead of disrupting the positive flow .

Yes, it is.

Many people I talk to think that admin MUST show academics is #1 and everything else is under that.

They don't understand that both can be great. Or refuse to understand it. Or don't want it and actively do things to undermine it / make athletics hard.

Its coming to a head though with this back to school stuff (and a little sports). A new slate of school board members is going to be put forth. One thing on the agenda is to take power away from admin keeping their thumb on everyone.

Everything I've EVER heard is that it comes down to one guy, the assistant superintendent who is in charge of the athlete department. There is near unanimous notion that he needs to go.

We will see if it works.

Some big transfer news in 5A. The birch brothers are transferring to Gateway from Jeanette. Younger brother is a sophomore QB with offer from Oregon. Older brother is WR/DB with Mac attention. From what I read in the trib article it doesn’t sound like Jeanettes couch sounded to keen on it so it will be interesting to see if they contest it. Two seton la salle coaches just got suspended for a year for recruiting allegations. This certainly isn’t the first time Gateway’s had big time players move in. Supposedly this QB Is the real deal as well. I find it funny the Seton La Salle coaches are getting attacked, when’s the last time they’ve had a high profile wpial player move there? Paris Ford maybe. Meanwhile PCC has 6 kids from norwins 2024 class transfers over in a year, one of the only teams last year that gave them a game.

Last edited:
Will be interesting to see where they fall wrt season and post-season eligibility. Would stink for older boy if ineligible.

Reactions: lilromeo

Some big transfer news in 5A. The birch brothers are transferring to Gateway from Jeanette. Younger brother is a sophomore QB with offer from Oregon. Older brother is WR/DB with Mac attention. From what I read in the trib article it doesn’t sound like Jeanettes couch sounded to keen on it so it will be interesting if they contest it. Two seton la salle coaches just got suspended for a year for recruiting allegations. This certainly isn’t the first time gateways had big time players move. Supposedly this QB Is the real deal as well. I find it funny the seton la salle coaches are getting attacked, when’s the last time they’ve had a high profile wpial player move there? Paris Ford maybe. Meanwhile PCC has 6 kids from norwins 2024 class transfers over in a year, one of the only teams last year that gave them a game.
Good stuff Jacky. Wonder what Gateway (5-1) will do with current returning Qb Carsen Engleka (79/138/1054, 58%, 12/3 ratio) who got solid stats for 6 games if it goes through?

Last edited:
Stalk, for some reason I wanna think Englecka played LB as a sophomore. Maybe move back there.

Stalk, for some reason I wanna think Englecka played LB as a sophomore. Maybe move back there.
Ok new. That would tough on Jeannette losing such unique talent when Gateway already has a good Qb; losing platinum to someone who already has gold.

With the infusion of Birch at Gateway, Duggar at Penn Hills, and whoever wins the QB job at Pine-Richland between Boyd and Palmeri, it's gonna be very exciting to see the talented QB's this year. All we have to see is what South Fayette, Peters, Penn-Trafford, and USC have regarding the position, as each of them will have big shoes to fill if they want to be competitive.

Here's what I'm hearing regarding QB's.

P-R: Boyd (Sr) is prohibitive favorite at this point.
GW: Englecka is pretty good and now they have Birch. In spite of Oregon offer, I don't think its a done deal he starts at GW this year.
PH: Duggar hurt leg in off-season, questionable when he returns.
SF: Will either be rising sophomore or rising senior (don't have names, sorry).
Peters: Only other QB listed on roster is rising Sophomore. Also, Pfeuffer brother may be in mix.
Penn-Trafford: Likely will run it back with best player - Yacamelli - at Wildcat QB.
USC: Had no QB other than Dahlem attempt more than one pass.
Woody: Deonte WIlliams is back and is a dynamic player. But ot really a QB. They need to get over the hump vs. good teams.

IMO, all the teams got significantly worse. Peters, USC, and SF had fairly talented, senior-heavy teams. All gone. PH had trouble scoring before QB got hurt. Can't see that helping. Gateway lost to Peters even with multiple D1 kids including best player in WPIAL (Davis). Gone, including key OL and DL.

My prediction is that it will come down to P-R and Penn Trafford again. These other programs have a long way to go to catch up physically, schematically, and programmatically to those two.

bummer, I have not seen anything official.

I guess it would be the same as last year's original schedule, with home and away flip flopped.

I did see on twitter that the people at Woodland Hills posted something trying to find a game for P-R in their WPIAL vs. Everybody event. But no opponent.

I heard through the grapevine that they may be playing a team from Virginia, but I didn't get the name of the team or any details. Regardingthe WPIAL schedule, I think I saw at home against Penn Hills in Week 5 or 6 and at Fox Chapel the last week of the season. I'm sure more details about everything will form as the summer progresses.

Jacky - the tweet has been deleted, so we cannot view it. What did it say? Thx.

I am at a loss for words. Never saw this coming. Jacky?
Entire coaching staff is gone too apparently, I have no clue and had heard nothing. Boosters sent emails to parents today asking for ppl to rally at the administration building

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT