ADVERTISEMENT

Milton GA 28 - SJP 21

Wasn’t at game - just posting score
I listened to part of it. Prep on offense did OK, especially considering they rely a lot on sophs. Sounds like they could use Clark as receiver. Where did he go?

Sounded also like the D had their hands full--had a hard time making stops in key situations. No doubt the fact that this was Milton's fourth game and SJP's second--and first against a good team--was a factor.

Reactions: Bighead75
I was able to attend this one in-person and here were my observations:

• Milton deserved the win. Their defensive line generally contained the run and they shut down the big plays. Their D-lineman (#38), AJ Crawford, was a monster all game. He got good push and was in the backfield quite a bit with lots of key stops.

• The Prep D generally played well and kept them in the game. James Heard is going to be a problem for lots of teams. While undersized for a d-lineman, he was being used as an edge rusher and was able to put on lots of pressure all game.

• The difference maker was Milton’s Virginia Tech bound QB. As Tulla mentioned, he made all the big plays when he needed to for the Eagles. They used a lot of delayed keepers to counter the Hawk’s aggressive pursuit. Milton converted a ton of critical 3rd downs to sustain long-drives. Including a few back-breaking 3rd and longs. the QB, Devin Farrell, had a nice arm, but wasn’t overly accurate. While he did influence the game with a few nice passes, it was his running that had the biggest impact. He has great speed and cut really well. He was patient and made good decisions.

• Tulla is spot on that the Prep is relying heavily on sophomores at the skill positions…QB, RB1, WR…and it showed. They flashed talent, but they’re still a bit out of sync and some of the inexperience showed. I really like the QB…he was tough and gutsy, absorbed some big hits, and led them pretty well. He made some big plays in the 2nd half and looked poised during the 2-minute drill at the end of the game. Big arm, but accuracy isn’t there yet. We were spoiled by McCord not only being able to make all the throws, but his pinpoint accuracy was killer.

• It wasn’t talked about enough (in my opinion), but the Hawks really had an advantage the past few years with the speed of both Cooper and Hagans. Not to say there isn’t lots of speed on this team (and, admittedly, they played against a very good defense), but they seemed to be missing that next-level breakaway speed. A few times, they were 1 broken tackle away from some potential long TDs.

• Two surprises for me: 1.) Tulla pointing out the missing Reese Clark piece. Not sure what happened, but it would have been nice to see some senior leadership and experience on the receiver front. 2.) I expected Barlow to be more involved this year. I know that he has battled injuries in the past, but only seemed to get a few carries and returned a late kick (nice return that set-up the last TD drive.

• I want to reiterate that the Prep got beat by a better (more experienced) team yesterday. That being said, there were two “what might have been” moments that could have changed the story of the game. On one Eagles TD series, the Hawks’ D buckled down in the red zone on a long drive and seemingly had momentum. After a few stops, the Eagles decided to go for it on 4th and 4 from the Hawks’ 9. The D was pumped (a bit too much) and jumped offsides to give the Eagles a 1st down, which they took advantage of an punched it in. Not saying that they wouldn’t have converted the 4th down play, but I liked the Hawks’ chances there.

The second momentum shifter can after a big sack forced a 2nd and long. The Eagles try to go over the top, but the pass was under thrown and Agaard was in prime position for an interception, but was pushed from behind. The refs missed a clear offensive pass interference. The next play, the Eagles gained 16 yards on a long 3rd down play and went on to score on that drive, as well. Tough ones…but all games are full of “what might have beens.”

The gap has definitely narrowed this year, but I still expect the Hawks to be strong favorites to defend their title. Nonetheless, early results from North Penn, La Salle, and Wood suggest that their going to have formidable challengers in the East. Should be fun.

Last edited:
I was able to attend this one in-person and here were my observations:

• Milton deserved the win. Their defensive line generally contained the run and the shut down the big plays. Their D-lineman (#38), AJ Crawford, was a monster all game. He got good push and was in the backfield quite a bit with lots of key stops.

• The Prep D generally played well and kept them in the game. James Heard is going to be a problem for lots of teams. While undersized for a d-lineman, he was being used as an edge rusher and was able to put on lots of pressure all game.

• The difference maker was Milton’s Virginia Tech bound QB. As Tulla mentioned, he made all the big plays when he needed to for the Eagles. They used a lot of delayed keepers to counter the Hawk’s aggressive pursuit. Milton converted a ton of critics 3rd downs to sustain long-drives. Including a few back-breaking 3rd and longs. the QB, Devin Farrell, had a nice arm, but wasn’t overly accurate. While he did influence the game with a few nice passes, it was his running that had the biggest impact. He has great speed and cut really well. He was patient and made good decisions.

• Tulla is spot on that the Prep is relying heavily on sophomores at the skill positions…QB, RB1, WR…and it showed. They flashed talent, but they’re still a bit out of sync and some of the inexperience showed. I really like the QB…he was tough and gutsy, absorbed some big hits, and led them pretty well. He made some big plays in the 2nd half and looked poised during the 2-minute drill at the end of the game. Big arm, but accuracy isn’t there yet. We were spoiled by McCord not only being able to make all the throws, but his pinpoint accuracy was killer.

• It wasn’t talked about enough (in my opinion), but the Hawks really had an advantage the past few years with the speed of both Cooper and Hagans. Not to say there isn’t lots of speed on this team (and, admittedly, they played against a very good defense), but they seemed to be missing that next-level breakaway speed. A few times, they were 1 broken tackle away from some potential long TDs.

• Two surprises for me: 1.) Tulla pointing out the missing Reese Clark piece. Not sure what happened, but it would have been nice to see some senior leadership and experience on the receiver front. 2.) I expected Barlow to be more involved this year. I know that he has battled injuries in the past, but only seemed to get a few carries and returned a late kick (nice return that set-up the last TD drive.

• I want to reiterate that the Prep got beat by a better (more experienced team) yesterday. That being said, there were two “what might have been” moments that could have changed the story of the game. On one Eagles TD series, the Hawks’ D buckled down in the red zone on a long drive and seemingly had momentum. After a few stops, the Eagles decided to go for it on 4th and 4 from the Hawks’ 9. The D was pumped (a bit too much) and jumped offsides to give the Eagles a 1st down, which they took advantage of an punched it in. Not saying that they wouldn’t have converted the 4th down play, but I liked the Hawks’ chances there.

The second momentum shifter can after a big sack forced a 2nd and long. The Eagles try to go over the top, but the pass was under thrown and Agaard was in prime position for an interception, but was pushed from behind. The refs missed a clear offensive pass interference. The next play, the Eagles gained 16 yards on a long 3rd down play and went on to score on that drive, as well. Tough ones…but all games are full of “what might have beens.”

The gap has definitely narrowed this year, but I still expect the Hawks to be strong favorites to defend their title. Nonetheless, early results from North Penn, La Salle, and Wood suggest that their going to have formidable challengers in the East. Should be fun.
Thanks for the summary. It seemed Bunch didn't play at all. Is he injured? I was expecting Barlow and Bunch to be their top two RBs this year and Clark the leading receiver.

Reactions: Bighead75
Good catch, Tulla…I didn’t hear Bunch’s name being callled, but can’t confirm that he wasn’t in. Their WR, Washington, has nice hands. They couldn’t get him out in open space (again, maybe because they were playing an elite defense with a good game plan). They are using Nelson on offense now, as well. They only tried to go over the top once (I believe to Sophmore, Elijah Jones, who had some separation), but the ball was overthrown. Once they get the timing down and can stretch the field, it should open up some space for the playmakers.

The sophomore RB, Phillips, looks like he is going to be really good. He lowered his shoulder a few times, found holes well, and has some elusiveness. I think they’re going to have to rely a bit more on the run this year with their experienced O-line and give it some time for the passing game to round into form.

I expect them to call for a lot of keepers this year or give Jones the freedom to take off if his receivers aren’t open. Should bring a fun element to the game and suspect that his legs are going to convert a lot of 3rd and 5s and 3rd and 6s this year.

Reactions: roxychknpoxy
Good catch, Tulla…I didn’t hear Bunch’s name being callled, but can’t confirm that he wasn’t in. Their WR, Washington, has nice hands. They couldn’t get him out in open space (again, maybe because they were playing an elite defense with a good game plan). They are using Nelson on offense now, as well. They only tried to go over the top once (I believe to Sophmore, Elijah Jones, who had some separation), but the ball was overthrown. Once they get the timing down and can stretch the field, it should open up some space for the playmakers.

The sophomore RB, Phillips, looks like he is going to be really good. He lowered his shoulder a few times, found holes well, and has some elusiveness. I think they’re going to have to rely a bit more on the run this year with their experienced O-line and give it some time for the passing game to round into form.

I expect them to call for a lot of keepers this year or give Jones the freedom to take off if his receivers aren’t open. Should bring a fun element to the game and suspect that his legs are going to convert a lot of 3rd and 5s and 3rd and 6s this year.
Sc - thanks for the insight … missed the game, Friday/Saturday at Virginia Tech and today at Eagles/Falcons … hope to be at Gonzaga game next weekend - my roommates kids went to Milton, he forewarned me they were very good

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT