ADVERTISEMENT

DTW v CD Live Stream?

Is this rock bottom for D1? Haven't won a state title in 16 years. Really not even close since 2003.

Reactions: Soup13
I'm sure CD having a bye last week didn't hurt. That is a major problem with the current system.

Hey Stalker: What's going on with the Harrisburg area. Is there growth in homes? HS numbers up or just talent level up?

D1 extremely down. Not taking anything away from DWest, great year for them. just not a many real strong teams on fundamentals, depth or physical in D1 compared to even the last few. Coatesville’s last 2 years were considerably better on multiple fronts. NPenn off, Neshaminy a wreck, Pennsbury & Pennridge lost. Bucks West put a great effort forward but pales in comparison to years past.

maybe beginning of end for D1. Almost certainly, SoL.

Hey Stalker: What's going on with the Harrisburg area. Is there growth in homes? HS numbers up or just talent level up?
foot, Evidently Cumberland county and Lebanon county are growing at a significant clip but otherwise nothing of note. See the link.
About CD, the entire Harrisburg area has been a FB hotbed for over a century, back to national power Harrisburg Tech and Central then John Harris High (Dennis Green fullback, Jimmy Jones...1st black qb USC, etc) in 60s before merger with Wm Penn to form Harrisburg High 1970. So, nothing "new" is going on in the area with the power structure ebbing and flowing between CD, CV (west shore), McDevitt, Harrisburg. About CD specifically, they have a great coaching staff of maybe 6-7 former head coaches with the players buying in. You can look at the players and see they've done serious off season work or vids to see how well they play, intelligently and fundamentally sound, emphasizing spec teams/defense; good eg....see Downingtown game. They've had great teams for year but never made it to the map before securing the prerequisite gold in 2011, beating NPenn. What's up talent level wise is the QB position where Max Mosey exceeded expectations as a soph. OL is vet as is much of the D; very athletic players. They often have excellent OLs, good skill but are never at this level as they were in 2011 unless they have a superior qb for Coach McNamee to run his system.

https://pasdc.hbg.psu.edu/sdc/pasdc_files/researchbriefs/Apr_2019_CntyEst18.pdf

Reactions: Soup13 and Aragorn
D1 extremely down. Not taking anything away from DWest, great year for them. just not a many real strong teams on fundamentals, depth or physical in D1 compared to even the last few. Coatesville’s last 2 years were considerably better on multiple fronts. NPenn off, Neshaminy a wreck, Pennsbury & Pennridge lost. Bucks West put a great effort forward but pales in comparison to years past.

maybe beginning of end for D1. Almost certainly, SoL.

SOL - Disagree with your assessment. The major impact to District 1 and all other districts in the state
is due to District 12 and specifically the Catholic League (since 2008-09) joining the PIAA. The Catholic League has been a constant in the state championship game since joining the PIAA see St Joes Prep, LaSalle, Archbishop Wood, Imohtep, etc to name a few. Additionally during this same time the balance of power in the District 1 has shifted from East (mainly SOL school districts w decreasing enrollment) and now lies with Coatesville, Garnet Valley, Downingtown East and West, Perk Valley and SpringFord (growing enrollment districts) with only North Penn being the consistent SOL power. Agree on your point of crappy defenses but you are coming across as a negative poster w your league not being successful the last few years.

foot, Evidently Cumberland county and Lebanon county are growing at a significant clip but otherwise nothing of note. See the link.
About CD, the entire Harrisburg area has been a FB hotbed for over a century, back to national power Harrisburg Tech and Central then John Harris High (Dennis Green fullback, Jimmy Jones...1st black qb USC, etc) in 60s before merger with Wm Penn to form Harrisburg High 1970. So, nothing "new" is going on in the area with the power structure ebbing and flowing between CD, CV (west shore), McDevitt, Harrisburg. About CD specifically, they have a great coaching staff of maybe 6-7 former head coaches with the players buying in. You can look at the players and see they've done serious off season work or vids to see how well they play, intelligently and fundamentally sound, emphasizing spec teams/defense; good eg....see Downingtown game. They've had great teams for year but never made it to the map before securing the prerequisite gold in 2011, beating NPenn. What's up talent level wise is the QB position where Max Mosey exceeded expectations as a soph. OL is vet as is much of the D; very athletic players. They often have excellent OLs, good skill but are never at this level as they were in 2011 unless they have a superior qb for Coach McNamee to run his system.

https://pasdc.hbg.psu.edu/sdc/pasdc_files/researchbriefs/Apr_2019_CntyEst18.pdf

Living in a nice locale near a state capital where money's being spent (i.e. Hbg) means availability of good jobs. Seems like a pretty desirable location.

Living in a nice locale near a state capital where money's being spent (i.e. Hbg) means availability of good jobs. Seems like a pretty desirable location.
It is a nice area to live. There for years but being a nice place isn't reflected in pop surge as you might expect, except Cumberland County, slight tick up in Dauphin. That's good news for Cumberland Valley FB and the incoming HC since firing Coach Whitehead! Said they want to go in another direction?

Is this rock bottom for D1? Haven't won a state title in 16 years. Really not even close since 2003.
I have said this for years. District 1 football is the worse of any of the major districts (1,3,7,11, and 12). They don't like to tackle, and it showed Friday night. Here is a possible solution. District One withdraws from the PIAA for football, and institutes a flag football league for all teams interested.

Worst!? I get your cynicism but District 11 has been down for a few years now and the Pub teams with few and rare exceptions are weak. I posted watching DW/Coats how bad DW tackled, enough to post it which is rare for me. Whatever happened to defense around here? It can be played!

Stalk,
D11 isn't that bad. I think the top 3 teams beat Dtown West this year, but that's just my opinion. I get your point on D12, and am not as sold on D3 as you are. I believe they have won 2 big school titles in 30 plus years. What I don't get is how far District One has fallen. To your point, where is the defense? I went to the N Penn/CB West game, and while CB West was the feel good story of the year, there is no way they should beat N Penn. What I saw from N Penn was horrible tackling, as well as a lot of out position players. My opinion on District One, total lack of interest on winning from the Administration.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT