ADVERTISEMENT

DTW-Chester

newport

Nov 22, 2002
Clippers upset the D1 6a top seed. Seems like Chester rammed the ball down DTW throat (200+ yards rushing).

Cause for concern for DTW? Did they get caught possibly looking ahead to CVille? I read that the loss drops them from the top line down to the 5th seed

The win vaults Chester into the top seed in 5a(from what I have read). Are they a legit threat in D1?

Clippers upset the D1 6a top seed. Seems like Chester rammed the ball down DTW throat (200+ yards rushing).

Cause for concern for DTW? Did they get caught possibly looking ahead to CVille? I read that the loss drops them from the top line down to the 5th seed

The win vaults Chester into the top seed in 5a(from what I have read). Are they a legit threat in D1?
Downingtown West was not the top seed, and they already beat Coatesville... next big game is Downingtown East in two weeks. The winner of CB West vs CB South was most likely the top seed no matter what DWest did the rest of the way. West has had the top seed for a few weeks now.

Chester is a bit of an unkown, with a week 0 loss to Perk Valley 31-0. I don't know enough about them to know if they had injuries that week, have improved drastically since then, etc... but it's a shocking win regardless. 5A is wide open in D1 this year, so they certainly have a shot. I don't see a team that has emerged as a "favorite" yet.

Downingtown West was not the top seed, and they already beat Coatesville... next big game is Downingtown East in two weeks. The winner of CB West vs CB South was most likely the top seed no matter what DWest did the rest of the way. West has had the top seed for a few weeks now.

Chester is a bit of an unkown, with a week 0 loss to Perk Valley 31-0. I don't know enough about them to know if they had injuries that week, have improved drastically since then, etc... but it's a shocking win regardless. 5A is wide open in D1 this year, so they certainly have a shot. I don't see a team that has emerged as a "favorite" yet.
Bucks, I don't have much on them either except the short post season review of all teams done in March-June. Knowing what they have coming back, it's not a monster upset although it gets your attention. The state is still programmed that the Clippers are a 'basketball only' school. And that's outdated thinking. Chester has clearly been building towards a strong season the last few years (see below), but DWest was supposed to be LOADED. Here are those notes.

Chester 5A 10-2
Good things are happening in Chester who registered their third straight winning seasons at 7-3 in 2019 (Del Val cancelled 2020 season), 7-4 in 2021 and 10-2 last year. Especially when knowing this was only their fifth winning season in the last 24 years. The 2021 season showed real progress losing competitively to Coatesville (12-2) 34-28, Academy Park (9-3) 14-8 and Kennett (8-4) 31-28. 2022 showed HUGE statistical improvement across the board with wins against Interboro 33-0 and Marple-Newtown (6-6) 18-15, despite losses to Downingtown West (9-2) 34-19 and Plymouth Whitemarsh (10-3) 30-12. Lots of bodies return for ’23 with freshman QB Jalen Harris coming off a 62% season throwing for 2261 yards with a 35/6 ratio with good numbers defensively.

Chester is doing a really good job. Good enough to get past PW? Not sure what other 5A teams they would play against in playoffs. Someone have any insight?

Chester is doing a really good job. Good enough to get past PW? Not sure what other 5A teams they would play against in playoffs. Someone have any insight?
Strath Haven will be a tough out also. I watched some highlights from Chester / DTW. Got the impression that DTW got ambushed and didn’t want to be there. Poor field conditions, rain, a Chester team playing with a swagger… Chester coaches coming onto the field to celebrate big plays… I believe that the Chester coach said in an article that he told his kids that DTW was complaining about even being there before the game.

Game swung in the second quarter on two DTW fumbles. One was almost returned for a TD, then they punched it in. Later DTW ran a boot play backed up on their own goal-line (QB turned his back to the defense as he reverse pivoted) and he got hit and the ball recovered in the end zone. Having watched it I’m not sure it’s panic time for DTW, although, they didn’t look great up front defensively. Credit to Chester for bringing the energy and running it down their throats successfully.

5A will be usual suspects (Strath Haven, Rustin, Upper Dublin, PW) plus a couple more surprise teams from Delco (Marple, Springfield, Chester). Overall depth is good this year so any of those 7 teams winning wouldn't be a huge surprise.

6A is looking just as deep with CBW, CBS (although one of them will lose this week), Souderton, Downingtown East, Downingtown West, and Spring-Ford all right there. I think CBW is the slight favorite but I could any of those 6 winning the district.

Problem will be both district champs in D1 getting either Imhotep/Roman in 5A or Prep in 6A. That's where the road will end...

Reactions: newport
I watched the Chester/UM stream yesterday I must say that I need to see strath haven. I don’t know if I’m concerned more about 6a or 5a in district 1. They’ll be a few mercy rule games that weekend.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT