ADVERTISEMENT

District 1 Openings

HSFballFan19

Jul 4, 2017
With the recent news, that leaves Tennent, CB West, and Pennridge with head coaching vacancies. It should be interesting to see who ends up taking over at these programs. They all have their advantages and disadvantages, some more so than others.

Anyone have intel on early favorites? It's always weird to me now that West isn't a "premiere" job in the state. After watching them dominate for so long, it's tough to wrap my head around them not attracting top talent. I do get why that isn't the case anymore, it's just different to see. Like my wife tells me, it isnt the 80s anymore!

This certainly hurts Tennent's chances. I would have to think any coach looking for a shot at running a program would be more interested in all three of those openings before Tennent's. Maybe not Pottsgrove based on location only.

The difficulty is getting a coach in the building. Hollenbach, Pennybacker, and Cathers were all in the buildings. That isn't as easy anymore. So a head coach if he isn't in the building can't just quit his job. It isn't as easy to get coaches in. And when they are in if younger guys seem to be getting temporary gigs and move on looking for a permanent job. Like Cathers going to be an AD.

Wonder if Cuthbert goes back to Pennridge now or not. Desirable jobs would be 1) Pennridge 2) CB West 3) Pottsgrove 4) Tennent. Tennent is most difficult because of Wood and no stability there.

Newman, just curious about what you mean by Pottsgrove's location that makes it less desirable? It's not too far for any coach who lives in Montco. I'm thinking any assistant from Perk Valley, Spring-Ford, or even North Penn would find this job desirable if they live in those areas. They have a pretty good mix of kids up there and an established culture.

Pottsgrove will hire from within... count on it. Pennypacker has multiple assistants that have played for him and are on the current staff.

Reactions: ptomaselli
I only questioned it's location in relation to the other three openings. Someone could have legitimate interest in the Tennent, CB West and Pennridge openings which are all, essentially, 30 minutes apart. Meaning the Pottsgrove position, more than likely, should not have any bearing on the Tennent position. Not less desirable, just more remote in relation to the others.

No! Not the C word!
Thanks for mentioning Cuthburt. He will not be back anywhere he's been before. They were all happy he left. Now as football coach at Wissy and looking at their schedule he is trying to get them in the PUB. Unless you count the Springfield forfeit last year he hasn't beaten a District one team in the 2 years he has been at Wissy. Only time before the Wissy figures it out. Thanks relayer for bringing this up, I was getting bored with the board.

Not only is it more and more difficult to get a job in the building , if you are lucky enough to get a job in the building , they actually want you to work. Teach 4 classes a day and monitor the lunch room 3 days a week. The days of teaching one class , or being the pool manager seem to be over. Money, the unions , and the tenure system make it next to impossible to do that.

For a state that claims to be a football hotbed , they pay standard for head coaches here is minuscule compared to those southern states. Doug Peterson was paid $26,000 9 years ago to be head coach , with no experience, of a Christian High School in Louisiana. Do you imagine what the applicant pool would be like at a school like Pennrige would be if the job paid $25,000?

And if you are lucky enough to find a good coach willing to come to your school and teach History, the union often steps in and rejects him saying we have three other people in front of him waiting for the same job.

Finally , even if a teaching job is available, the tenure system in Pennsylvania makes it cost prohibitive to switch schools In Texas , for example , they have a statewide tenure system. If I teach at school A for 10 years and get hired as a coach and teacher at school B, my tenure moves with me and I'm paid as a 10 year teacher. Not always so in Pennsylvania the same scenario you may lose your tenure at school B and be paid as a first year teacher. So rather than lose 10 years of income , he either rejects the coaching job , or accepts it but keeps his teaching job in school A.

Reactions: vucat1
Great thread. Are we discussing rumors about possible upcoming vacancies? Or should we leave those off the board?

I believe tenure is statewide in Pa - not sure but I think once you have it, you have it. I think you are correct that most districts will start a new hire at the beginning of the pay scale.

I know we are talking about desirable jobs, but I believe another D1 opening is Phoenixville.

Not only is it more and more difficult to get a job in the building , if you are lucky enough to get a job in the building , they actually want you to work. Teach 4 classes a day and monitor the lunch room 3 days a week. The days of teaching one class , or being the pool manager seem to be over. Money, the unions , and the tenure system make it next to impossible to do that.

For a state that claims to be a football hotbed , they pay standard for head coaches here is minuscule compared to those southern states. Doug Peterson was paid $26,000 9 years ago to be head coach , with no experience, of a Christian High School in Louisiana. Do you imagine what the applicant pool would be like at a school like Pennrige would be if the job paid $25,000?

And if you are lucky enough to find a good coach willing to come to your school and teach History, the union often steps in and rejects him saying we have three other people in front of him waiting for the same job.

Finally , even if a teaching job is available, the tenure system in Pennsylvania makes it cost prohibitive to switch schools In Texas , for example , they have a statewide tenure system. If I teach at school A for 10 years and get hired as a coach and teacher at school B, my tenure moves with me and I'm paid as a 10 year teacher. Not always so in Pennsylvania the same scenario you may lose your tenure at school B and be paid as a first year teacher. So rather than lose 10 years of income , he either rejects the coaching job , or accepts it but keeps his teaching job in school A.

Speed I believe what you are saying is partially true in regard to the fact that a lot of districts will most likely try to bring you in at Step 1, but a good amount of HR departments have the ability to bring the best candidate in and can bring them in on current step. Switching districts would automatically put you at bottom of seniority list, which in the day an age of teacher cuts probably will have established guys hesitant to switch. Also, if the job is Phys. Ed. I’d imagine you are not going to have a lot of districts jumping at bringing in a phys ed teacher at 80k(random number) vs new hire at 45k.

It’s definitely not the 80’s-90’s anymore!

Cheers,

Busch

Cuthbert! anywhere but West, Let another school have the privilege of having him coach their. I need to go to church this week.

Cuthbert! anywhere but West, Let another school have the privilege of having him coach their. I need to go to church this week.
Shoe,
I thought you were crazy but you were spot on about Cuthbert from the beginning. I used to cover games for a paper and he was the absolute worst coach I had to deal with. He came off to me as just being very arrogant.

Is Cuthbert being considered for the West job or are you just crossing your fingers that he isn't?

Can anyone shed any light on the new Tennent coach, Rich Clemens? Previous stops, background, etc.?

I don't think Tennent is a very desirable job, which may explain the lack of quality candidates (again speculation). I'd expect more quality candidates for West and Pennridge.

CB West has numerous applicants.

A bunch of alumni have applied from Cuthbert to Felton to many others. Archbishop Ryan's Frank McArdle and Hollenbach of Pennridge threw their names into the ring as surprises...

I would be SHOCKED if any of those first three names got the job. That last one is definitely a surprise Bucks. Didn't the article about Hollenbach retiring mention he'd been considering retirement for two years now? Why retire to make a "lateral" move?

I would be SHOCKED if any of those first three names got the job. That last one is definitely a surprise Bucks. Didn't the article about Hollenbach retiring mention he'd been considering retirement for two years now? Why retire to make a "lateral" move?

The retirement was forced because of issues that were going on throughout the season.

Then I'd be shocked if that was the hire also. I'd imagine CB West would rather avoid issues.

Bucks, who would you consider the favorite right now? It's good to see West getting some quality applicants. I hope they can turn that program around!

Which one of these is a "quality" candidate exactly? From everything I have ever heard or read three of the four are not very well liked at all and have no proven record of real success. Hollenbach obviously a good coach, but again those "issues" probably matter to a school with their own past "issues"

FJ, I somewhat agree with you. However, these are all guys with head coaching experience. Is that the biggest factor? No, but I think it shows that West is attracting a somewhat talented candidate pool. Additionally, Bucks stated there were many other candidates. That's why I asked who he felt was the favorite.

CB West most likely would hire an alumnus. The one's listed are not the only alumni that applied for the position.

Yes it seems they tend to side with alumni. If you don't mind, which other alums are they considering? I can't think of many others that are coaches.

HS I don’t disagree with you that it shows there’s interest. I also agree that HC experience matters. I just think it should not be overvalued!! Case in point being some of the names that WERE mentioned.

Just go back in this same thread and you can see one of these guys is NOT well thought of. Another I believe has left at LEAST 3 schools on bad terms if I’m correct? Two of the three have been at the school before and it didn’t work out at all!!!

Bucks it looks like you just created your account? Or at least this is your first time posting? I truly do not mean to call you out in any way shape or form but how close are you to this/or how close is your “source”. I only ask because I feel like it is CRAZY that 3 of these names are even applying!!!! In my eyes (not that they mean much) this shows the three of them may be out of touch a bit?

HS I don’t disagree with you that it shows there’s interest. I also agree that HC experience matters. I just think it should not be overvalued!! Case in point being some of the names that WERE mentioned.

Just go back in this same thread and you can see one of these guys is NOT well thought of. Another I believe has left at LEAST 3 schools on bad terms if I’m correct? Two of the three have been at the school before and it didn’t work out at all!!!

Bucks it looks like you just created your account? Or at least this is your first time posting? I truly do not mean to call you out in any way shape or form but how close are you to this/or how close is your “source”. I only ask because I feel like it is CRAZY that 3 of these names are even applying!!!! In my eyes (not that they mean much) this shows the three of them may be out of touch a bit?

Great point. I am new with this name, I have not posted on papreps in quite some time, probably around two years. I previously deleted my email account, in which I had to create a new name.

How close am I to the process? I live in Bucks County, I have friends within the school district and have many friends in the coaching profession to this day. Word spreads like wildfire and if people follow the CB West hiring process closely, they will find out more information as in continues into next week.

Again, I believe they will go alumni, as they should. I agree that they should not overvalue Head Coaching experience, but if I was to hire someone that was a current Coordinator, I would make sure they were up to the task, had a couple of assistants ready to step in, and had a vision of the program that they wanted.

Thanks Bucks. Again the only reason I asked was because those names blew me away!!!

To me HC experience and being an alumn are the most wildly overrated things that are ever talked about!

Gabe Infante, Steve Devlin, Dick Beck all non alumni to their schools and hired with no HC experience. Drew Gordon was a McDevitt Grad.

I have to hear it all the time as a Judge guy. I know CB West has a bigger pool of success to select from but being alumni means nothing in terms of success!!! West has hired nothing but alumni in their past 4 hires correct? Have they ever been relevant since Pettine and Carey left?

Thanks Bucks. Again the only reason I asked was because those names blew me away!!!

To me HC experience and being an alumn are the most wildly overrated things that are ever talked about!

Gabe Infante, Steve Devlin, Dick Beck all non alumni to their schools and hired with no HC experience. Drew Gordon was a McDevitt Grad.

I have to hear it all the time as a Judge guy. I know CB West has a bigger pool of success to select from but being alumni means nothing in terms of success!!! West has hired nothing but alumni in their past 4 hires correct? Have they ever been relevant since Pettine and Carey left?

Hensel was not an alumni. I agree with you that alumni status should not matter completely, but in the case of West, I believe understanding the tradition and community really matters, and I believe it will matter with the principal. Principal was a former player under Senior so I am sure alumni status will help a candidate's cause.

Sorry Bucks, bad oversight on my part with Hensel, I did know that as I believe he is a Ryan Grad. Would you say he was maybe the most successful of the four before the bad end to that situation?

And yes I agree when you come from a school like West I can see where the argument comes from and why it seems to be so important with the history and tradition. Especially like you said with donovan playing under Pettine and Carey. But I believe it’s very easy to honor the history, tradition, maintain relationship with the community.

Again I know they’re extreme examples but Infante Devlin Gordon and Beck are easily the best coaches of the 2010s and by the standards of HC experience and alumni they never would have been given a chance in some of these places! And to me that is just a recipe for continued failure.

Reactions: lilromeo
FJ, that's a fair assessment; unfortunately, it's the nature of HS football. Many ADs see head coaching experience and alumni ("their guys") as being very important factors. I'm not saying that's right or wrong, it's just human nature to a degree. Oh well, I'm still interested who the other strong candidates are.

HS I understand that it human nature. I get that it is like that everywhere and with any/every job, not just football. And I do agree that those two things should matter to a certain extent. My only point in this thread is that I believe they are simply overvalued. I know there was a thread earlier in the year about this same type of topic. Schools need to have an open mind or they are going to miss some awesome candidates. In my own opinion (again meaningless in the grand scheme of things) I don't see the point in even interviewing any of the four names that were actually mentioned.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT